• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I believe it will be right at $500 or 550. I did do some subs because I am not going to pay $25 for a 1x2x8 blue arch when I can get a black one for 14 cents. I also ordered the doors from Lego but they were out of stock by the time my order processed, so I will just use some doors from my old sets. They wanted anywhere from $45 to 55 for one door on bricklink. I have 4 orders from Lego directly and 5 orders from Bricklink in all.

I just added it all up and it is only 415-430 actually. I was surprised.

lego_delivery.jpg

It has arrived.

The problem with following this thread must be that you want to run out and buy more Lego...and find the time to build with your Lego.

yeah, now add gaming as a hobby with no time to game to this mix and you got yourself a nice little infernal conundrum that only gets deeper and deeper with no way out ;(

It's fun tho i suppose ;)

yeah, now add gaming as a hobby with no time to game to this mix and you got yourself a nice little infernal conundrum that only gets deeper and deeper with no way out ;(

It's fun tho i suppose ;)

This is my predicament at the moment. With PoE and the MOC contest every free time I have I go through deciding what one I want to do.

This is my predicament at the moment. With PoE and the MOC contest every free time I have I go through deciding what one I want to do.

yep, now i am not sure if you have a family and are working full time but if that is the case as well then you can see how it all gets pretty depressing, constantly having new great ideas for Lego but you just don't have the time to get properly started on building them ever :(

Do we know how long the UCS R2-D2 will be around? I still want one of those and want to snag it before it disappears.

Probably until May or so next year. It was only released May 2012, so there is still time for that cute lil Astromech. The SSD is the next UCS that will be disappearing.

It is a fairly new set (Released May 2012).

Most recent UCS seem to be around for 2+ years, with the Death Star hitting 4.

Technically, the Best Star is not a UCS set. I think they keep it around because it is mostly standard parts included in it. There is only one part I can think of that is pretty custom outside of the mini figures and stickers.

Technically, the Best Star is not a UCS set. I think they keep it around because it is mostly standard parts included in it. There is only one part I can think of that is pretty custom outside of the mini figures and stickers.

They have the star wars license for 8 or 9 more years before it needs renewing, right? It seems like they should keep the death star in print in at least a small quantity for the duration of the license. It's an awesome high-end set that can't easily be improved upon if they ever wanted to do a future revision, and because it's the original trilogy there will probably always be interest.

Or this is just me thinking wishfully about someday graduating college and buying it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
853303-1.jpg

Someone mentioned on Brickset that to get one, you had to spend over $500 using the VIP card.

On another note, free shipping in the first half of March is nice. Too bad it doesn't coincide with double VIP points.

I got this in the mail today!!

The thing that I love about the Death Star is that it is driving the speculators nuts. People hoarding it for years waiting for it to go away and jack up the price, only to have it remain in print. It is almost like LEGO is doing it out of spite, and I find that funny.

Need urgent decision help:

I have an order placed on BrickLink for some sets and the seller informs me that i can still add a set for the same shipping costs (due to weight)

I am now officially torn between:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7188-1 7188-1 "King's Carriage Ambush"

and

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4865-1 4865-1 "The Forbidden Forest" (Harry Potter theme)

the HP one is cheaper and i don't have any figures of that theme yet plus i like the pieces BUT

the Castle set comes with a KING (and a nice crown) 2 white horses etc. hmmm

Go with Harry Potter as those figs will be very hard to come by. There are lots of kings with shiny crowns. Also, it probably is cheaper to buy the king fig via bricklink. Also, the horses are the older style horses. There will be medieval horses in some summer sets this year.

Better yet, for $50 you get 2 full armies. Cheapest per fig army builder set. Same king too I believe.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Kingdoms-Chess-Set-853373

ghostmind

It looks like LEGO Star Wars fans are going to see some big changes coming up in 2014 and beyond. Rumor has it that Hasbro is cancelling their future plans for the Clone Wars line, placing the future of that show (which is not returning to CN in the fall) in question. It may be that 2014, or even 2013, could be the end of Clone Wars LEGO sets.

That may be for the best, as LEGO must be gearing up for sets to support the new movie in 2015, and the rest of the trilogy until 2020 at least, along with the upcoming Star Wars spin-off movies (reportedly focussing on a young Han Solo and another focussing on Boba Fett from between EP4 and EP5).

It's going to be an exciting time to be a Star Wars fan.

It looks like LEGO Star Wars fans are going to see some big changes coming up in 2014 and beyond. Rumor has it that Hasbro is cancelling their future plans for the Clone Wars line, placing the future of that show (which is not returning to CN in the fall) in question. It may be that 2014, or even 2013, could be the end of Clone Wars LEGO sets.

That may be for the best, as LEGO must be gearing up for sets to support the new movie in 2015, and the rest of the trilogy until 2020 at least, along with the upcoming Star Wars spin-off movies (reportedly focussing on a young Han Solo and another focussing on Boba Fett from between EP4 and EP5).

Good riddance to Clone Wars. Those faces were horrendous.

And here's hoping we still get a ton of original trilogy sets while the new movies are being hyped.

Rootbeer

Banned

And here's hoping we still get a ton of original trilogy sets while the new movies are being hyped.

It really does need to end. Every since Episode II was released in theaters it's been nothing but clone wars stories left and right and I think we've had enough. So glad we are moving on. Just hope they can wrap it up to tie in nicely with the Ep III opening.

Speaking of Star Wars, I went to the LEGO store couldn't bring myself to purchase the A-Wing today. I love the Ackbar figure but $30 for 177 pieces really irks me. I opted for the Lex Luthor power armor set and the Creator set for the MOC contest instead.

ruxtpin

Banned

As a kid, whenever the clone wars we're mentioned (within the OT movies by Kenobi or in a handful of the EU offerings that we're done well) there was an aura of mystery to me. I always thought the clone wars would be an awesome aspect of the story to explore.

Now, as one who's almost thirty, I'm just like... 'meh'

ghostmind

Speaking of Star Wars, I went to the LEGO store couldn't bring myself to purchase the A-Wing today. I love the Ackbar figure but $30 for 177 pieces really irks me. I opted for the Lex Luthor power armor set and the Creator set for the MOC contest instead.

As much as I am a LEGO SW fan (in that I buy everything), you made the better choice.

Yep, I hated the faces so much, horrifying. A shame because some of the sets were really nice but now maybe they can concentrate more on the Old Republic sets because those are so good.

Go with Harry Potter as those figs will be very hard to come by. There are lots of kings with shiny crowns. Also, it probably is cheaper to buy the king fig via bricklink. Also, the horses are the older style horses. There will be medieval horses in some summer sets this year.

Better yet, for $50 you get 2 full armies. Cheapest per fig army builder set. Same king too I believe.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Kingdoms-Chess-Set-853373

WTF how come this is the very first time i have EVER heard of such a set?

It's not on BrickLink at all and not on Amazon either, is that a strictly Lego Shop exclusive?

edit: actually it IS on BL somehow but you can't find it via the normal set number search?

It's not on BrickLink at all and not on Amazon either, is that a strictly Lego Shop exclusive?

I think you might be able to find it at Toys R Us as well, but that would be the only other place, and I'm not even certain of that.

Also, it's probably due to be discontinued soon, so buy it if you want it.

I think you might be able to find it at Toys R Us as well, but that would be the only other place, and I'm not even certain of that.

Also, it's probably due to be discontinued soon, so buy it if you want it.

Why? It's only come out in 2012 hmmm...

I am not a particular fan of the Castle's theme so far but damn what a great deal for THAT many minfigs (regardless of theme) though i have no clue what i'd do with em yet as so far i wasn't much of an army builder myself!

According to Eurobricks though, this set has quite a few quality issues (printing color variations etc)

It sure is exciting. I'm not sad to see the Clone Wars theme go but the show isn't terrible. I won't miss it though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I probably didn't break the £300 mark. Probably just got over £200 with the Fire Brigade and Christmas Cottage and a few sets in between.

Why? It's only come out in 2012 hmmm...

I am not a particular fan of the Castle's theme so far but damn what a great deal for THAT many minfigs (regardless of theme) though i have no clue what i'd do with em yet as so far i wasn't much of an army builder myself!

According to Eurobricks though, this set has quite a few quality issues (printing color variations etc)

The last two Castle chess sets lasted less than a year. This one may stick around longer, I'm not sure. But the Kingdoms subtheme is dead and the new Castle sets are coming out this summer, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it lasting more than a year.

The UK isn't getting Galaxy Squad until the summer I believe, but goddamn those second wave sets are selling me, especially the bigger ones. Much better than the Alien Conquest offerings from last year.

When Europe finally does get Galaxy Squad in summer, are we at least getting both waves together or the first one first and then we gotta wait longer for the second?

That orange spacefighter that can separate into a smaller vehicle and a fighter really tempts me...

I've actually quite liked the Clone Wars stuff, so I've never gotten the hate. The Clone Wars sets started me back into LEGO too, so that's gotta be a good thing!

Just started series 2 of the show last night as well, loving it.

I'm almost disappointed I didn't get back into the LEGO earlier to catch some of the original Clone Wars sets.

Draxal

I've actually quite liked the Clone Wars stuff, so I've never gotten the hate. The Clone Wars sets started me back into LEGO too, so that's gotta be a good thing!

Just started series 2 of the show last night as well, loving it.

I'm almost disappointed I didn't get back into the LEGO earlier to catch some of the original Clone Wars sets.

Clone War sets are fine aside from the minifigures. It's just having those ridiculous eyes, so the aesthetic is ruined compared to other licenses, including the rest of the Star Wars themes.

Calm Killer

So what is everyone consensus on the Cinema? We can get it Feb 14th, Free shipping if we wait until the 1st or Double VIP points if we wait until the 25th. I am trying to determine what to do and when to buy. I have $70 in Lego gift cards and $65 in Lego VIP points so I can basically get Cinema for $15. The question is do I get it early, and pay shipping. Do I get it for free shipping, or do I get it with shipping but double VIP points? Thoughts?

So what is everyone consensus on the Cinema? We can get it Feb 14th, Free shipping if we wait until the 1st or Double VIP points if we wait until the 25th. I am trying to determine what to do and when to buy. I have $70 in Lego gift cards and $65 in Lego VIP points so I can basically get Cinema for $15. The question is do I get it early, and pay shipping. Do I get it for free shipping, or do I get it with shipping but double VIP points? Thoughts?

Do you have other sets to build or is your backlog clear?

Aaaand... done! Fire Brigade completed after a marathon session. Gotta go, need to sleep, but... dat everything.

How long did it take?

It's such a nice set-I am glad that there isn't a ton of detail on the inside as I never take the floors apart.

I am working on Town Hall right now and am realizing that I don't have a plan to display it with the other modulars.... I think I am going to have a serious sit down with the wife tonight about it. We have a big brick fireplace and that mantle deserves a town.

Oh, I am getting that sucker early. The little extra I don't get in double VIP pays for getting it early.

Do you have other sets to build or is your backlog clear?

What is this backlog so many speak of? :)

Speaking of Star Wars, I went to the LEGO store couldn't bring myself to purchase the A-Wing today. I love the Ackbar figure with a coffee cup but $30 for 177 pieces really irks me. I opted for the Lex Luthor power armor set and the Creator set for the MOC contest instead.

FTFY

Great set, but i would tell everyone to wait until it drops at least $5. That puts it in the Desert Skiff range.

PhoncipleBone said:
What is this backlog so many speak of? :)

I still have Grand Emporium sitting untouched in the basement. I should get on that sometime soon.

rataven

Go for it early! Shipping charges are probably a bit more than you'd earn in double VIP points anyway.

As for me, I'm definitely planning on swinging by my Lego store on release day to pick it up. I'd like to have all the modulars built for it's arrival. The first four are done, so now it's a mad scramble to complete Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Town Hall, even though I have nowhere to put them where they can all hang together. Bummer.

Harry Potter said:
How can you get Palace Cinema on Feb 14th?
VIP members can pick it up on the 14th.

rataven

Mind blown. Just online or in store too?

You know, that's a good question. I'd guess probably both? Just as long as you have your VIP card. And if you opt for store pickup, you'll probably have to ask an employee for Palace Cinema, as I'd assume they'd keep the sets in the back until the official release on March 1st.

I bought it a few weeks ago at Target for 20.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well they offered the special Christmas set in advance to VIP members so I guess it'll work in a similar way.

Top Bottom