• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Fxp

He built the Pearl by himself at 4.5yrs? :eek:

Very impressive!

He'll be building modulars by 6!

He's asking me to build Fire Brigade once again but it's too much a hassle so sort it :) We still have unopened Sonic Boom in the closet and Grand Emporium will arrive in a week.

He's asking me to build Fire Brigade once again but it's too much a hassle so sort it :) We still have unopened Sonic Boom in the closet and Grand Emporium will arrive in a week.

Build Sonic Boom with him first. He will LOVE it. It is a smaller and more manageable build than Grand Emporium, but oh so fun. And he will get a kick out of the light up thrusters on the back of the jet.

Fxp

Build Sonic Boom with him first. He will LOVE it. It is a smaller and more manageable build than Grand Emporium, but oh so fun. And he will get a kick out of the light up thrusters on the back of the jet.

Last set I built by myself was Tie Figher - I did it during daytime when son was in preschool. We always agree beforehand that we each build one page from instructions but he gets so excited that I let him build the whole thing :)

Fox Mulder

Has anyone here built the volkswagen van? If so, how do you like it?

it's fun, has some neat little touches, but I sold it after building it.

It has annoying stickers you have to apply, and if you mess them up, Lego won't replace them due to being a licensed set. The doors and roof are also pretty fragile, I always had to repair them when people were trying to look at it.

Kryten

Minor Day 3 Advent spoiler which you can get from the back of the box anyway:

I've convinced my boys that there is a story going on, with the Forest work/fire minifigure, followed by the chainsaw, followed by the.......

It works well for us, so far!

bedlamite

Don't worry about it, it's the same with mine. If you have a couple of PF XL-motors, IR receiver, and a remote control, you can motorized the Unimog. It's a fairly simple to mod it.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57543&st=150
I Googled around a bit and it seems that we've put on the center differential back to front! Apparently it's a common problem, no doubt due to Lego's vague instructions. Pretty annoying, when my build's about 60% done and center differential assembly was done within the first few pages of the manual. Just spent an absolutely harrowing 2 hours disassembling bits of the Unimog's undercarriage and fixing the borked steering.

---------

The VW is a very fun build, but the finished product doesn't have much playability. It really is very fragile and chances are it'll just end up being a display piece on your shelf. I still recommend picking it up, it's just that awesome.

it's fun, has some neat little touches, but I sold it after building it.

It has annoying stickers you have to apply, and if you mess them up, Lego won't replace them due to being a licensed set. The doors and roof are also pretty fragile, I always had to repair them when people were trying to look at it.

Maybe it's just a Volks Wagon issue, but I've had LEGO replace licensed stickers for me in the past. Most recently with the seX-wing Fighter, but it took nearly two months to receive the new stickers from over seas.

So I hit my local Lego Store after some Gymboree with my not quite 2 year old daughter.

She informed me the Winter Cottage was nice, the Haunted Mansion was pretty, and this Tanker Truck was good.

So I picked it up as my first Lego purchase since probably 1985.

2012-12-02135406.jpg

Also signed up for the VIP club and asked about Arkham Asylum.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So I hit my local Lego Store after some Gymboree with my not quite 2 year old daughter.

She informed me the Winter Cottage was nice, the Haunted Mansion was pretty, and this Tanker Truck was good.

2012-12-02135406.jpg

Excellent Smithers!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

This story pleases me. Wish I could remember what my 'wake-up' set was! :(

I had a lot of my childhood Lego so tried to rebuild as much as I could as I recall but i'm not sure what the first new purchase was.

2012-12-02135406.jpg

Welcome back into the fold. I too only jumped back in this year with the X Wing. My first adult purchase.

Today I bought my 3 years old his first LEGO set, he liked it a lot and while he couldn't build it together just by himself, he was able to read the instructions and tell me what piece to use next, I positioned the pieces and he would put them together, at the end he was kind of in awe that all those little pieces formed a space Buggy.

lego24jbc5.jpg

lego3wybr4.jpg

Tomodachi

I just found out this amazing thread, woah! I was in love with LEGO as a kid (I'm 27 now) but I never got any new stuff since I was 12-14 I think. Then last year my boyfriend bought me a Lego Architecture set I had been eyeing in the past and I was so happy. Then a week ago for my birthday he bought me another set from the City line. I also recently recovered some old pieces I stored in a lego box. I'll post pics tomorrow, I'm in a rush right now!

Today I bought my 3 years old his first LEGO set, he liked it a lot and while he couldn't build it together just by himself, he was able to read the instructions and tell me what piece to use next, I positioned the pieces and he would put them together, at the end he was kind of in awe that all those little pieces formed a space Buggy.
Aww, he's the cutest kid ever. I have a 2 years old nephew who basically lives in my house and I CAN'T WAIT for him to turn 3 or 4 to shower him with lego gifts
so we can build them and play together lol

I just found out this amazing thread, woah! I was in love with LEGO as a kid (I'm 27 now) but I never got any new stuff since I was 12-14 I think. Then last year my boyfriend bought me a Lego Architecture set I had been eyeing in the past and I was so happy. Then a week ago for my birthday he bought me another set from the City line. I also recently recovered some old pieces I stored in a lego box. I'll post pics tomorrow, I'm in a rush right now!

Aww, he's the cutest kid ever. I have a 2 years old nephew who basically lives in my house and I CAN'T WAIT for him to turn 3 or 4 to shower him with lego gifts
so we can build them and play together lol

Thank you, and regarding your spoiler, well yeah, that's part of my master plan as well, once he starts asking for more LEGO I have the perfect excuse to go buy some more :D

Me to the Wife: I am off to buy some LEGO, you know honey, it's for the kids!

ghostmind

Soooo many "Sold Out" sets on S@H right now. Makes it impossible to tell what will still be around after Christmas. If it turns out all the "Sold Out" sets are not returning...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Woah. They already sold off the advent calendars? I was expecting them to wait till after Christmas for that.

Eklipsis

lego3wybr4.jpg

My 3yr old first set was that too lol

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Many of the 2013 LEGO sets are now on B&N for preorder. Everything is 10% off.

There is a post over at Toys N Bricks that reveals most of the MSRP prices.

Looks like nearly everything is 10% off. Names and prices below.

Ninjago sets are reasonably priced:
70500 Kai's Fire Mech $9.99
70501 Warrior Bike / 70502 Cole's Earth Driller $19.99
70503 The Golden Dragon $29.99
70504 Garmatron 39.99 (FAR cheaper than I thought!)
70505 Temple of Light $69.99

Chima stuff are also priced OK. Some good and a few bad:
Speedorz sets are $14.99
70000 Razcal's Glider ~$11.99
70001 Crawley's Claw Ripper $14.99
70002 Lennox' Lion Attack $24.95 (markup or what?)
70003 Eris Eagle Interceptor $34.99 (???)
70004 Wakz' Pack Tracker $29.99 (how is this cheaper than the set above...)
70005 Lavals Royal Fighter $39.99
70006 Cragger's Command Ship $79.99
70113 CHI Battles $19.99
70115 Ultimate Speedorz Tournament $29.99 (FAR too pricey for what you get)

TMNT sets are a mixed bag:
79100 Kraang Lab Escape $14.99
79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike $24.99
79102 Stealth Shell in Pursuit $19.99
79103 Turtle Lair Attack $49.99
79104 The Shellraiser Street Chase $59.99

SW:
75000 Clone Troopers vs. Droidekas $14.99
75001 Republic Troopers vs Sith Troopers $14.99
75002 AT-RT $19.99
75003 A-wing Starfighter $24.99
75004 Z-95 Headhunter $49.99
75005 Rancor Pit $59.99

We already know the SH prices; $20 for the two smaller sets, $40 for the TDKR set, $50 for the Spiderman showdown.

Impressions:
Many sets show the licensing increase for LEGO products. Makes it feel like the MSRP is priced with the TRU Tax in mind.
Ninjago sets are great and perfectly priced. Definitely get The Golden Dragon (70503) first!

Chima doesn't fare as well. The sets range from great to mediocre, and the pricing is abysmal. $15 for a small Speedorz set?
Crawley's Claw Ripper (70001) seems like the best set because it comes with the "main character" and Crawley and his Claw Ripper are pretty neat!

TMNT, as quoted, is a mixed bag. Two are overpriced (79100 and 79101) and the rest are average. It's hard to recommend even the smallest set if $15 is the actual MSRP, but if you're a Turtles fan then go nuts.

Star Wars pricing is about the average for the SW license. Glad to see the AT-RT (75002) is at the typical LEGO $20 mech price, though $60 is hard to stomach for the Rancor Pit (75005).

ghostmind

Many of the 2013 LEGO sets are now on B&N for preorder. Everything is 10% off.

There is a post over at Toys N Bricks that reveals most of the MSRP prices.

Impressions:
Many sets show the licensing increase for LEGO products. Makes it feel like the MSRP is priced with the TRU Tax in mind.
Ninjago sets are great and perfectly priced. Definitely get The Golden Dragon (70503) first!

Chima doesn't fare as well. The sets range from great to mediocre, and the pricing is abysmal. $15 for a small Speedorz set?
Crawley's Claw Ripper (70001) seems like the best set because it comes with the "main character" and Crawley and his Claw Ripper are pretty neat!

TMNT, as quoted, is a mixed bag. Two are overpriced (79100 and 79101) and the rest are average. It's hard to recommend even the smallest set if $15 is the actual MSRP, but if you're a Turtles fan then go nuts.

Star Wars pricing is about the average for the SW license. Glad to see the AT-RT (75002) is at the typical LEGO $20 mech price, though $60 is hard to stomach for the Rancor Pit (75005).

Thanks for the info!

Looks like the Creator house is only $25 - that's even cheaper (smaller) than the Log Cabin. I hope that 2H sees a much bigger house (like the Family Home from 2009) or they move the larger houses up to Creator Expert.

bodine1231

First book done! This is probably my favorite looking modular building so far. I also prefer the dollhouse opening method than removing each floor.

20121203_002238.jpg

20121203_002247.jpg

20121203_002303.jpg

and picked up an R2 as well...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back at the crazy large LEGO office picture from the official HD pictures section, I found even more cool
heartbreaking
prototype stuff.

mni9L.png

1) Alien Conquest (Second to the left) - Amazing bulky scorpion mech/pod/ship set. Looks REALLY cool! Possibly intended for the wave 2 of Alien Conquest everyone is dreaming of. Right next to Dino wave 2 with an Ankylosaurus, right? :(
Looks like it comes with an Alien Grenadier of some sort? (Clear black brain like Hypaxxus-8 and Alien Villainess) Gonna have to MOC that one someday.

My heart breaks knowing this set may never be released.

2) Alien Conquest (Far left) - Neat ADU fighter jet with two rotors. Not the same as Jet-Copter Encounter. Has a cool silver alien. I like the prototype WARNING label that runs through the front of the box. Wish they kept it.

My love for the Alien Conquest line will never end. :((((

a2Amv.png

3) Lord of the Rings - Can you spot a rumored 2013 set in this picture? Hint: The Hobbits are being taken to it.

J12du.png

4) Atlantis - A really cool Giant Squid prototype, although its coloring is the same as the explorers' vehicles. An oddity but a fun design. (Can a squid have swooshability? If so, that one would!)

And this one for fun:

eToCG.png

5) ??? (Center right) - A really cool base thing. It's really cool. Looks like the Technodrome. Possibly not LEGO, but interesting nonetheless.

It's really cool.

Also, a blue mech thing as a bonus. (Top left)

wetwired

Man I'd love to wander around that office.

TMNT sets are a mixed bag:
79100 Kraang Lab Escape $14.99
79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike $24.99
79102 Stealth Shell in Pursuit $19.99
79103 Turtle Lair Attack $49.99
79104 The Shellraiser Street Chase $59.99

I'm not a fan of these sets, but I love the minifigs, I may even pick up them all except the shellrasier street chase to get all the turtles and the other minifigs I want. Just means I'll get a spare Raphael.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Speaking of Alien Conquest I really need to find the spare head Lego kindly sent me. Unfortunately it was the wrong head so I need to send it back for a swap. I don't want to send a letter until I knew where I put the silly thing.

rataven

Those whitefang picks don't do them justice IMO.

Love that new cop, the chicken guy, knight, judge, I like the plumber just because he has a plunger :)

Yeah, the gallery on Lego's website is much crisper, though I do like how WhiteFang breaks down the fig into individual parts so you can clearly see what each one comes with.

I'm kind of surprised he was able to release a group shot before Lego even had it up. Still haven't seen the official one yet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While it is impressive to see the complete minfigure collection I prefer just finding the select few I like. Sure I've missed a few figures over the years but on the whole I've enjoyed collecting them.

I'm not really feeling series 9 that much. Chickenguy, plumber, the battle mech and perhaps the judge are the ones I'll go for. Haven't even finished series 8.

There are FOURTEEN bags of series 8 sitting unopened in my room that I intend to gift my family members that enjoy them at christmastime. I groped every bag. All I am sure of is that one, and only one, is a manbat.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I keep getting manbats! I put up a series 7 Minotaur and Evil Robot on eBay but didn't sell them :-/

The Manbat was the last one I had t get- got him yesterday and completed the collection (random buys/no bricklink orders).

Wave 9 looks awesome though- i'll happily have multiples of everything.

Someone gifted me a package of Nanoblocks the other day, i wasn't even aware these things existed, anyone here ever try those?

They're like TINY Lego pieces, and the end result doesn't look too bad, pretty detailed for some of them actually!

http://chrisnanoblock.tumblr.com/

This guy seems to be doing some amazing things with them, i like that Katana set especially, looks crazy detailed!

Chicken Suit Man wins. He always wins.

EDIT: First Review (the I can find) of Arkham Asylum Breakout.

8239099699_35bd903962_z.jpg

Gotta say, that window is far simpler than I imagined. Genius.

that is very neat indeed :D

Series 9 is up on LEGO.com!

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

And WhiteFang over on Eurobricks has posted his detailed review. Lots of great shots, and a fun read.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76075

jBpmul.jpg
not really feeling it overall...
the rollerskates are cool though!

only two sets per box is pretty mean!
8208290842_e5643fe796_o.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Series 9 looks great... I need to fill the last holes in my series 8 collection >.< I'm really bad at feeling the packs.

Someone gifted me a package of Nanoblocks the other day, i wasn't even aware these things existed, anyone here ever try those?

They're like TINY Lego pieces, and the end result doesn't look too bad, pretty detailed for some of them actually!

http://chrisnanoblock.tumblr.com/

This guy seems to be doing some amazing things with them, i like that Katana set especially, looks crazy detailed!

Dayum. When I'm so far from ever affording all the legos I want, I'm not about to start collecting a competitor, but that katana is about as sexy as building blocks can get.

Top Bottom