• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Whoooo! Sith Fury Interceptor shipped so I managed to get it at $57.

I definitely want the Black Gate set just to have a black gate... and a Mouth of Sauron. Gandalf the White will be nice too.
Congrats on Sith Fury. Perhaps I shall make a time lapse this weekend to tempt others of its beauty.

Thinking about it, I might replace the X Wing on my top 5 of last year with the Sith Fury.

Of course, in a few weeks the B Wing will probably knock something else off.

Whoooo! Sith Fury Interceptor shipped so I managed to get it at $57.

I definitely want the Black Gate set just to have a black gate... and a Mouth of Sauron. Gandalf the White will be nice too.

Congrats on Sith Fury. Perhaps I shall make a time lapse this weekend to tempt others of its beauty.

Thinking about it, I might replace the X Wing on my top 5 of last year with the Sith Fury.

Yes! Now if I was cool, I'd link a swanky Sopranos GIF with Tony giving his approval. But I'm not that cool, so my enthusiastic "Yes!" will have to do.

The more Sith Interceptor owners, the better!

Seth C

Hey guys, look what I found at Goodwill.

RgLydi9.jpg

Are all the pieces there? Don't know! It was all taped up. For all I know it's a totally different set in the box. For $2.50 I think I'm up for the adventure.

ghostmind

Hey guys, look what I found at Goodwill.

Are all the pieces there? Don't know! It was all taped up. For all I know it's a totally different set in the box. For $2.50 I think I'm up for the adventure.

Considering that the set goes for $100 used, I think $2.50 is a good deal, no matter what is in the box.

Seth C

Considering that the set goes for $100 used, I think $2.50 is a good deal, no matter what is in the box.

I just got home and opened it up. It definitely doesn't have all the pieces. Immediately I noticed that 4 of the wheels aren't there. All of the blue panels are in the box, though, and the dish and spring piston thing are there as well.

Ponn

Banned
I still cannot get over the price descrepency/piece ratio between that Black Gate set and the Pirate Ambush set, its a $40 dollar difference for 100 pieces. I think i'm out on the LoTR sets except for Wizard Battle to go with Orthanc. Black Gates looks weirdly small for the piece count, doesn't fit in with anything else at all and is just another LoTR "Wall" set. Looking at all these Lego LoTR sets you would think the movies were nothing but shots of brown and grey rocks and walls. ugh, wasted license.

Ok so I used some Amazon credit and ordered the Crazy Scientist set, wow I did not plan on owning the entire Monster Fighter theme but i'm almost there, just Haunted House left (will never find Zombies at MSRP so doesn't count).

So I can get the Batman Two Face Chase Lego set bundled with the Lego Batman visual encyclopedia book for $43 but wouldn't get it till next week some time so I would go an entire weekend with no lego set to put together. I've been debating this set and getting it in a bundle and cheaper then MSRP is very tempting, what say you Lego-GAF? My other option will probably be caving in while at Walmart this weekend and getting the Bat Vs. Bane set.

R-User!

I was wondering, is there a setting on NeoGAF that lets you hide your thread activity from other users? Cuz I noticed that when I click on "top posters" on Mobile GAF's tools options at the bottom of the page, you are not listed.... Could be a glitch, but PhoncipleBone then Winnie te Pimp then me, but after that, you aren't seen anywhere NEAR the top of the "top posters" list.... Strange!

By combining two of set 79007, you can make a more accurate Black Gate:

zWZCMxI.png

Thanks, it's now a $120 set instead of $60 set I want.

Also, thanks to all who kept raving about Quinjet set. I've had it in my backlog for awhile and may have assimilated it to by brik collective without even building it if not for all the fuss.

It was a really impressive build. I thought the cockpit would be pretty boring, but I found the way it came together refreshing. With most builds you can kinda tell what's coming next, but it kept surprising me and had me scratching my head why things were put together in a certain way. I dread taking it apart as it's a pretty tight/solid build. I recommend the set if you can get it at a good price.

6869_alt1.jpg

During the build, I noticed gap between 2 jumpers was practically non-existent. I had to struggle really hard to even see the line separating them. Kinda makes the gaps in the ones next to it seem like canyons. Dunno, just thought I'd share as I haven't seen anything like that. I swear I did not photoshop or touch it up in anyway.

So I checked my local stores and all the Mummy set are all the new non-glow Mummy. Did LEGO recalled all the glow Mummy back and replaced the stock?

I can't imagine all my local stores would be all sold out that particular set and replace them all with new one. Unless of course enterprise LEGO investors are snatching them all up.

(Target, Wal-Mart and Toys R Us in my area are all sold out of Jabba's Palace because of that rumor discontinuation).

RobbieNick

I've got an odd deal I'm thinking of getting.

One dealer at my local collector's show sells Lego set fully made and out of the box. This is so she can sell the toys and sets separately to make a little extra money. It's a rip-off for the most part, but she's selling the new Arkham Asylumat $55 for just the building and gate. This normally goes for $169, but in this case your not getting the mini figs or vehicles. (I did end up buying the AA truck with driver separately for $20).

So is it worth getting just the building for $55? I have most of or similar minifigs slready (Except Poison Ivy). Problm with me is, it's already made and putting it together is half the fun.

neonglow

One dealer at my local collector's show sells Lego set fully made and out of the box. This is so she can sell the toys and sets separately to make a little extra money. It's a rip-off for the most part, but she's selling the new Arkham Asylumat $55 for just the building and gate. This normally goes for $169, but in this case your not getting the mini figs or vehicles. (I did end up buying the AA truck with driver separately for $20).

So is it worth getting just the building for $55? I have most of or similar minifigs slready (Except Poison Ivy). Problm with me is, it's already made and putting it together is half the fun.

I would do it. If you take out the pieces for the vehicle and minifigs, it's comes to about 1500 pieces. At $55, that's a little over 3 cents a piece. Just get a brick separater and dismantle it.

My local store does this also, they trade in set, keep the mini-figures to sell separately and sold off vehicles, buildings for cheap. I think $55 is good for Arkham with all the pieces. You can always unmake it, that's also sort of fun. I bought several "used" sets from this local store and take them apart. I always ask for the instruction or box if they have them.

RobbieNick

My local store does this also, they trade in set, keep the mini-figures to sell separately and sold off vehicles, buildings for cheap. I think $55 is good for Arkham with all that pieces. You can always unmake it, that's also sort of fun. I bought several "used" sets from this local store and take them apart. I always ask for the instruction or box if they have them.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here since the hero and villain minifigs are going for $20+ a piece.

Ironmask

During the build, I noticed gap between 2 jumpers was practically non-existent. I had to struggle really hard to even see the line separating them. Kinda makes the gaps in the ones next to it seem like canyons. Dunno, just thought I'd share as I haven't seen anything like that. I swear I did not photoshop or touch it up in anyway.

it seems also that the external borders are not allineated, isn't it? try switching positions and see if it still happens.
I had a problem on my build with one of the lateral wings, it didn't stay horizontal. It was all fault of this piece

4159335.jpg

but just swapping it with another made the solution

What do you guys think is the best castle set from the 90's or earlier? I'm interested in getting one, I've been fiending for some older sets as of late.

I would lose my mind over that deal. The building and gate are cool to look at. It's not like most of the other super hero legos, where a worthless model stands in the way of good minifigures.

Upcoming semi-question/semi-whine about local prices:

Internet warehouse Pixmania has some interesting Lego stuff in their 5% off campaign on the Swedish site, although prices are still ridiculous after currency conversion:

Fierce Flyer $14
Helm's Deep $188
X-Wing $81
Sith Interceptor $107
Quinjet $94
Pet Shop $173
Grand Emporium $187
Sopwith $109
VW Camper $149
Death Star $529
SSD $514
R2-D2 $226
Kingdoms Joust $139

I'm kind of wanting FF and Pet Shop, and this is probably cheaper than importing with customs fees. Joust is also tempting, but I wouldn't really use it for anything, it just goes so well with MM.

Also interesting to note that they sell a complete box of S9 minifigs, but at over $2 per figure it's not that great a deal.

So, is anything a really good price considering I'll usually have to pay 25% fees and quadruple shipping from overseas?

So I checked my local stores and all the Mummy set are all the new non-glow Mummy. Did LEGO recalled all the glow Mummy back and replaced the stock?

I can't imagine all my local stores would be all sold out that particular set and replace them all with new one. Unless of course enterprise LEGO investors are snatching them all up.

(Target, Wal-Mart and Toys R Us in my area are all sold out of Jabba's Palace because of that rumor discontinuation).

The plastic bubble is pretty big right now. I wouldn't be surprised if speculators/investors bought them up although if that was the case, I'd imagine most of the mummy minifigs on Bricklink that are around $3 would've been all bought or the price jacked up.

it seems also that the external borders are not allineated, isn't it? try switching positions and see if it still happens.
I had a problem on my build with one of the lateral wings, it didn't stay horizontal. It was all fault of this piece

4159335.jpg

but just swapping it with another made the solution

Everything still built fine. I was just in awe of how tight the fit was that the separation line was practically invisible.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here since the hero and villain minifigs are going for $20+ a piece.

If you do MOC'ing as someone else mentioned break it down to price per brick (which I think not the best value calculation, but good rough estimate). $0.10 USD per brick is considered reasonable MSRP value.

Internet warehouse Pixmania has some interesting Lego stuff in their 5% off campaign on the Swedish site, although prices are still ridiculous after currency conversion:

Fierce Flyer $14
Helm's Deep $188
X-Wing $81
Sith Interceptor $107
Quinjet $94
Pet Shop $173
Grand Emporium $187
Sopwith $109
VW Camper $149
Death Star $529
SSD $514
R2-D2 $226
Kingdoms Joust $139

I'm kind of wanting FF and Pet Shop, and this is probably cheaper than importing with customs fees. Joust is also tempting, but I wouldn't really use it for anything, it just goes so well with MM.

Also interesting to note that they sell a complete box of S9 minifigs, but at over $2 per figure it's not that great a deal.

So, is anything a really good price considering I'll usually have to pay 25% fees and quadruple shipping from overseas?

Off top of my head Fierce Flyer is a good buy. Pet Shop is ~15% over US MSRP. Sopwith about 10%. What's the typical MSRP % increase over US prices for you?

Fierce Flyer $14 ($15 MSRP in US)
Helm's Deep $188 ($130 in US)
X-Wing $81
Sith Interceptor $107
Quinjet $94
Pet Shop $173 ($150 US)
Grand Emporium $187 ($150 US)
Sopwith $109 ($100)
VW Camper $149 ($100)
Death Star $529
SSD $514
R2-D2 $226
Kingdoms Joust $139 ($120 US)

A bit over $2 for series 9 is a great price IMO. They go for $3 MSRP here. I usually find discounts and sales to get them for about 15%-25% off though.
Series 9 is the only series I bought an entire box. I forget the price, but I ordered from Amazon France and after shipping and everything it came close to ~$2.50 a minifig which I thought was a really good deal.

I think normally they go for 50-100% over US MSRP. VW Camper is $173 at a local shop, R2-D2 is $315 and Fire Brigade is $252. So it's a improvement over retail at any rate.

I think above all I need to consider my display space. I'm getting a new shelf in a few weeks that will fit a bit more, but currently the plan is for Bag End diorama, Medieval Marketplace diorama, Fellowship diorama, dwarves diorama (possibly all in the tree), another two or three dioramas for my customs, and, if I still have room for them, BSB and Fire Brigade still on display. That's a lot of shelf space.

Ironmask

Fierce Flyer $14
Helm's Deep $188
X-Wing $81
Sith Interceptor $107
Quinjet $94
Pet Shop $173
Grand Emporium $187
Sopwith $109
VW Camper $149
Death Star $529
SSD $514
R2-D2 $226
Kingdoms Joust $139

Have you tried Amazon.es instead? it always have the lowest price on europe (except when amazon.de goes on a sale rampage)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Fully made I'm not a fan of, spoils the surprise of the build. I bought emerald night like that and had to break it down (worst part of any lego) before immediately building it again. Not great

I think normally they go for 50-100% over US MSRP. VW Camper is $173 at a local shop, R2-D2 is $315 and Fire Brigade is $252. So it's a improvement over retail at any rate.

I think above all I need to consider my display space. I'm getting a new shelf in a few weeks that will fit a bit more, but currently the plan is for Bag End diorama, Medieval Marketplace diorama, Fellowship diorama, dwarves diorama (possibly all in the tree), another two or three dioramas for my customs, and, if I still have room for them, BSB and Fire Brigade still on display. That's a lot of shelf space.

I can't speak to the price benefits based on your location, but in terms of quality you can't go wrong with Pet Shop. The fact that it is two separate buildings gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of displaying it. My "modular shelf" is about 3" too short to house both pieces, so they're currently displayed separately.

rallaren

I finsihed Container Heist and Smash 'n' Grab of Space Police today. I really like CH. The container looks a lil too wide but it was awesome to build. Saving the best for last though - Lunar Limo.

SpeedNut

Well just made my first BrickLink purchase of Winter Village Post Office. Now that it's officially listed as retired I'm sure the prices are going to go up and I don't want to get caught out. Just need the Cottage and I'm all caught up.

In other news, is my phone telling me something here???

8640068227_06d195f70c_z.jpg

My family came back from Japan today and bought me this

aCPc1KU.jpg

I quite like nanoblocks and I'd not seen this one before.

LEGO had something similar to Nanoblocks in the earlier days called Modulex. Apparently it never took off.

Modulex dimensions are 5mm x 5mm for a 1x1 brick.
Nanoblocks dimensions are 4mm x 4 mm for a 1x1 brick.

I've thought about a cube shaped LEGO piece many times because the LEGO bricks aren't 1:1 ratio which distorts things when you try to make 8-bit structures viewed from the sides. Little did I know they did it long before 8-bit was popular.

Nanoblocks needs to make some more variations of their 1x1 bricks and have some without studs on top. I would get tons of those to create 3-d 8-bit builds.

Fxp

Have you tried Amazon.es instead? it always have the lowest price on europe (except when amazon.de goes on a sale rampage)

Amazon.es is the best, I just got VW T1 Camper from them, 80 euros + cheap shipping. Every morning I check Spanish and Italian Amazon prices for good deals, they never dissapoint. Never noticed amazon.de sale rampage you mentioned, though.

i've just lost the opportunity to get S1 zombie and S2 spartan for 5€ each. whaaaaaaaaah!

Great price for S1 zombie. S1 zombie, robot, and nurse are the only ones I'm missing from all CMF series. So shocked nurse price is up there with the zombie and robot. Sorry man...

I finsihed Container Heist and Smash 'n' Grab of Space Police today. I really like CH. The container looks a lil too wide but it was awesome to build. Saving the best for last though - Lunar Limo.

Not big fan of recent Space Police, but I had to bricklink Brickdaddy for the pimp outfit. My male minifigs have never been happier since Brickdaddy showed up. :)

Well just made my first BrickLink purchase of Winter Village Post Office. Now that it's officially listed as retired I'm sure the prices are going to go up and I don't want to get caught out. Just need the Cottage and I'm all caught up.

In other news, is my phone telling me something here???

8640068227_06d195f70c_z.jpg

LEGO is very therapeutic. I'm sure it can help you get over any addiction problems you have.

Amazon.es is the best, I just got VW T1 Camper from them, 80 euros + cheap shipping. Every morning I check Spanish and Italian Amazon prices for good deals, they never dissapoint. Never noticed amazon.de sale rampage you mentioned, though.

eh

Amazon.es DOES have the best prices BUT their shipping costs usually make it the same price as the other amazons UNLESS you go crazy and buy a huge list of sets of course hmmm

Ironmask

eh

Amazon.es DOES have the best prices BUT their shipping costs usually make it the same price as the other amazons UNLESS you go crazy and buy a huge list of sets of course hmmm

that's what i usually do, whenever i decide to get a big set i also add some Friends sets for my baby to rationalize the shipping cost.

Also amazon.it + amazon prime (free 2-3 days shipping) = sad wallet

iuuk

I never even get the option of free shipping at amazon.it, amazon.fr and amazon.es. You guys are lucky. It's either €6-7 on it/fr or €10 on es (2-3 day shipping though) or paying a lot more for 1 day delivery.

These are usually my options at it/fr/es:

3d5q3NQ.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My family came back from Japan today and bought me this

aCPc1KU.jpg

I quite like nanoblocks and I'd not seen this one before.

I have a stupid huge collection of Nanoblocks. I was going to pick this one up, but I'm waiting for my Tokyo Sky Tree Deluxe 2.0 first. :|

E: Oh, speaking of Architecture sets (from previous page), if anyone is potentially interested in a Brandenburg Gate or a Farnsworth House, PM me. I'm getting rid of my Architecture sets since they're just sitting here and I don't really, well, want them anymore.

Let us know how it feels compared to Lego. The brick built wings look nice.

Having built a pile of Nanoblock sets, I will say...They are much flimsier than LEGO. They aren't designed to be played with but more to be displayed. The limited piece type is actually my favorite part about them. The way the underside is molded and the round vs square studs means you can do some crazy shit with them.

Top Bottom