• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

The house is 5891 Apple Tree House.

Vader has good taste in houses.

Oh, I know the house. Have it and have built it. Just didn't imagine Vader taking up residence there. Good choice of houses, though.

You are the utmost authority on SW sets, so this is high praise indeed.

I don't know if I'd go the far but thanks. Until Jan. of this year, it was the only line I collected since '99. It is definitely nice to have a wider range of variety to build now, that's for sure.

Oh, I know the house. Have it and have built it. Just didn't imagine Vader taking up residence there. Good choice of houses, though.

I don't know if I'd go the far but thanks. Until Jan. of this year, it was the only line I collected since '99. It is definitely nice to have a wider range of variety to build now, that's for sure.
Apple Tree House is a great set. The lack of interior is a downer, but the rest of it is so damn charming. I am a sucker for the houses and buildings.

On a different note, I rebuilt to see if my love for Hive Crawler was still strong. Just as awesome on the rebuild as it was the first time. I need to rebuild Red Five X Wing before confirmation, but Hive Crawler is my new #1 for the year. X-wing was #1, and maybe a rebuild will keep it that way, but Hive Crawler is just too damn awesome.

After X-Wing, I will rebuild Silver Mine Shootout to round out my top 3 so far. I feel I won't like Silver Mine as much the second time.

Jimbro72

Apple Tree House is a great set. The lack of interior is a downer, but the rest of it is so damn charming. I am a sucker for the houses and buildings.

On a different note, I rebuilt to see if my love for Hive Crawler was still strong. Just as awesome on the rebuild as it was the first time. I need to rebuild Red Five X Wing before confirmation, but Hive Crawler is my new #1 for the year. X-wing was #1, and maybe a rebuild will keep it that way, but Hive Crawler is just too damn awesome.

After X-Wing, I will rebuild Silver Mine Shootout to round out my top 3 so far. I feel I won't like Silver Mine as much the second time.

I totally agree, I love the houses despite their lack of interior. Can't wait to get the new ones.

So you build, tear down and build sets again? That's impressive. Once I build a set, it stays built. For now anyway, but some are about to be bagged up to make room for new. I still have sets built that I did upon their release 13-14 yrs ago. Building a set two or more times is a concept not familiar to me. Yet.

I totally agree, I love the houses despite their lack of interior. Can't wait to get the new ones.

So you build, tear down and build sets again? That's impressive. Once I build a set, it stays built. For now anyway, but some are about to be bagged up to make room for new. I still have sets built that I did upon their release 13-14 yrs ago. Building a set two or more times is a concept not familiar to me. Yet.
Sets that I love I want to rebuild at least once. It lets me get the brick itch scratched without spending more money, and also let's me approach a set with a very different outlook. I know what is coming, so there are no surprises. It lets me be more critical. Some sets stay awesome on rebuild, some lose the luster.

Having said that, I never rebuilt Haunted House or Tower Bridge. And the SSD is still intact after six months. That one is due for a rebuild.

Edit: Hive Crawler in action. https://vine.co/v/bli0iAYgU6a

Edit 2: My prediction is that Orthanc will curb stomp everything so far this year. But that may be my hype for it speaking. Ewok Village will be damn fun because Marcos designed it. Yes, I am a fanboy after Quinjet.

Ponn

Banned
iFHNG82.jpg

Swoooosh!

"Lady Widow, has thou done something new with thine hair?"

Ponn

Banned
Swoosh is right! What are your overall thoughts now, post build?

EDIT: The thought of Deadpool in skin tight leather is disturbing...

I was confused about multiple empty spots while building. i kept going back in the instructions thinking I may have missed a plate or something. The back door doesn't close as tight as I would like it to and a couple times picking it up I snapped some looser bricks off.

Okay, positives, do like some of the, think the word is SNOT work? Especially on the turbine engines and the back spots where those upside down wedge bricks are stacked. As a jet/plane thing really to build the wings and how it comes together with the middle section. Really like the cockpit. Overall great set, especially for $55. Deciding to take it to work for a huge empty spot on my desk or clear some space on my top shelf and put it up there.

jpatez34

Neo Member
20130612103444.jpg

The "Best" Star is COMPLETE!!!
I have loved every... single... moment of building this incredible set, no words can describe how brilliant this set is. Every floor, every room, there is something there to take you back to a Galaxy Far Far Away. My fave areas are the Turbo Laser, main Death Star weapon, the Trash Compactor and the 2 Turrets on the top.

I LOVE THIS SET!!!!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Damn right! And you, more than anyone on here, know good Star Wars sets when you see them.

Best Star wins every single time. Turn off your targeting computer on the other sets and use the Force to get this set.

EDIT: Super Star Destroyer is also on sale for 10% off. $360.

I hear what both of you are saying. If I had the $360 in my hand right now I would go at it. But I don't. My wife was somewhat against it, but I explained that it was on sale. After I reminded her what she got for her birthday she was like oh okay. Even after that I don't have the 400 on me. I need to buy a new PC monitor as one of mine died. I need to buy WVU football tickets for my dad and mom for Father's day and his birthday so there goes my 400. I should be receiving a 10% coupon from Nicoga3000 at some point. My thought process is this. I will take that 10% coupon and use it on Monster fighters sets I don't have next weekend. If I can somehow manage to get another 10% coupon near the end of the year and the Death Star is still available then it is the same price I can get it now.

Also, shouldn't I have already received my catalog in the mail? Didn't most people get theirs last week?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
20130612103444.jpg

The "Best" Star is COMPLETE!!!
I have loved every... single... moment of building this incredible set, no words can describe how brilliant this set is. Every floor, every room, there is something there to take you back to a Galaxy Far Far Away. My fave areas are the Turbo Laser, main Death Star weapon, the Trash Compactor and the 2 Turrets on the top.

I LOVE THIS SET!!!!

/sigh

DAMN IT

ruxtpin

Banned
Just got word from Lego, the Orthanc VIP deal applies here too. Just five more days then!

What deal are we talking about here?

Edit: Nevermind. Found my response a few pages back.

And dat Death Star! I can't wait to build mine, but it'll have to wait until well after August. Same for Orthanc, even though I'll be picking that up on release day.

I posted it a few pages back.

Post 13917.

You did indeed. Thanks Ghostmind, I'd forgotten that I had already seen it.

Also, shouldn't I have already received my catalog in the mail? Didn't most people get theirs last week?

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada you have to request it every time they issue a new catalog. You can't just "stay on a list" and have it sent to you.

Jimbro72

Sets that I love I want to rebuild at least once. It lets me get the brick itch scratched without spending more money, and also let's me approach a set with a very different outlook. I know what is coming, so there are no surprises. It lets me be more critical. Some sets stay awesome on rebuild, some lose the luster.

I guess I can see the appeal there. There are some sets I'd have no problems building again, mostly the larger ones like the FB and PS just because they are really fun builds. I just have enough of a backlog of sets that I have plenty to build when time allows so taking apart and rebuilding a set has never been viewed as an option, I guess. But then again, until fairly recently, I've always had room to display everything I've built. But not anymore.

I got mine right at the end of May. No idea on how long it takes them to mail them out to the whole US but you'd think they'd be right around the same time as the coupon is only good for about 4, or so, weeks.

Ok folks, I want to get this Jor El figure so I'm heading to the LEGO store today. The problem is, what set do I get?

I'm debating between:

• Quinjet
  • Hulk Helicarrier Breakout
  • Unexpected Gathering
  • Daily Bugle

I'm not going to be "playing" with them for the most part, although my daughter might spend some time with them. What does everybody recommend from a build/display standpoint?

Jimbro72

Ok folks, I want to get this Jor El figure so I'm heading to the LEGO store today. The problem is, what set do I get?

I'm debating between:

• Quinjet
  • Unexpected Gathering
  • Daily Bugle

I'm not going to be "playing" with them for the most part, although my daughter might spend some time with them. What does everybody recommend from a build/display standpoint?

I can only comment on one of those, that being the Unexpected Gathering, but that is a great set. Really fun to build and the finished model looks great. And comes with lots of cool figs. Unless you are not much of a fan of LOTR/Hobbit, you can't go wrong with that set. I suspect you'll also get lots of votes for Quinjet, as well, so those really are the two it's probably going to come down to.

I'm debating between:

• Quinjet
  • Unexpected Gathering
  • Daily Bugle

Unexpected Gathering. It a beautiful display set, and has great minifigs.

I can only comment on one of those, that being the Unexpected Gathering, but that is a great set. Really fun to build and the finished model looks great. And comes with lots of cool figs. Unless you are not much of a fan of LOTR/Hobbit, you can't go wrong with that set. I suspect you'll also get lots of votes for Quinjet, as well, so those really are the two it's probably going to come down to.

Unexpected Gathering. It a beautiful display set, and has great minifigs.

Thank you both. I'm not a big LOTR fan but I did like the Wizard Battle & Shelob sets quite a bit.

The thing that really irks me is that I really want the big Hulk and Doctor Doom figs but I'm not terribly interested in their respective sets. They go for $25 & $15 on Bricklink respectively and I don't want to get gouged.

I'm debating between:

• Quinjet
  • Unexpected Gathering
  • Daily Bugle

I liked Quinjet more, but of those I would say go with Unexpected Gathering. It works better as a display piece than Quinjet, and your daughter will like the interior details.

Thanks for linking this! I love the "outhouse" and the microscope. My daughter is really excited for this set...she's turning 7 in less than a month and I suspect it's going to be a pretty Friends heavy event.

But seriously, enough Stephanie! Olivia's got all the good stuff but Stephanie is overexposed.

Edit: Derp. Telescope, not microscope. Ironmask is correct.

R-User!

$69? Where? 86 online. None at my local store.

Yeah, maybe 69.00 clearance? Or is that Walmarts rollback everyday price?

I hadn't heard that it was THAT cheap anywhere in this thread or elsewhere ever... 0_o

And many stores I went to for a while didn't even have V Castle in stock. /shrug

Also:
ToysRUs will price match Amazon.com as long as its not an
Amazon Marketplace price; meaning as long as Amazon is the one selling it!!

That means that you can pick up sets at TRU from now on without the TRU tax!!!

Also: I just preordered a game at GameStop, and I asked if they had LOTR Elrond... ...they did and they threw in Chase McCain and Lex Luthor Power Armor figs for free! Too good!

Calm Killer

Yeah, maybe 69.00 clearance? Or is that Walmarts rollback everyday price?

I hadn't heard that it was THAT cheap anywhere in this thread or elsewhere ever... 0_o

And many stores I went to for a while didn't even have V Castle in stock. /shrug

Also:

That means that you can pick up sets at TRU from now on without the TRU tax!!!

Also: I just preordered a game at GameStop, and I asked if they had LOTR Elrond... ...they did and they threw in Chase McCain and Lex Luthor Power Armor figs for free! Too good!

If I can find it for $69 somewhere I would buy that. Otherwise I guess I need to bite on the $86.

Calm Killer

Welp.... I just bought the whole monster fighters line for my birthday. It should be here Friday. Only problem? My birthday is in August. Amazon has everything on sale. Saved $60 compared to S@H.

Soul4ger

Also:

Wait, what? Toys R Us will match Amazon.com? Since when? Is this official, widely disseminated company policy? And do coupons stack on top? Damn, it's incredible if so. I just got a Friends & Family coupon in my email for 20% my entire purchase, starting tomorrow!

Top Bottom