• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

Expect to see 2014 theme and set rumors/info start to surface at the end of July. For now, a Chima tidbit.

It was looking like LEGO was adding Rhino and Bear tribes next year, but also Peacock?

NTxb9C3.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Expect to see 2014 theme and set rumors/info start to surface at the end of July. For now, a Chima tidbit.

It was looking like LEGO was adding Rhino and Bear tribes next year, but also Peacock?
But I was wanting an entire team of foxfigs!

Bears could be interesting I guess.

Jimbro72

First image of the upcoming "Architecture Studio" set:

sFvAW96.jpg

This will likely tie-in to the events of the same name, happening at Barnes and Noble locations in July.

(better pic when I can get it)

What exactly is this Architecture Studio set about? Kind of hard to tell from the pic exactly what it is. Looks like a whole lot of white bricks.

ghostmind

What exactly is this Architecture Studio set about? Kind of hard to tell from the pic exactly what it is. Looks like a whole lot of white bricks.

Barnes & Noble, Inc., the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced that the Barnes & Noble store in Oceanside, CA will host its first-ever LEGO Architecture event in celebration of LEGO’s new launch, LEGO Architecture Studio, on Friday, July 26, 2013, at 6 p.m at 2615 Vista Way, Oceanside, CA 92054.

The LEGO Architecture Studio event features local Architecture Professor, David Parker from MiraCosta College discussing, facilitating and demonstrating key aspects of the design process in architecture using LEGO bricks to educate and inspire. Participants will have the opportunity to reference the LEGO 250 guide book, experiment and create original architectural designs with more than 1,200 monochromatic building pieces, and learn a few architectural concepts such as scale, mass and density, symmetry, modules and repetition, space and section and surface.

During the event, the participants will have an opportunity to build with LEGO Architecture Studio and demonstrate how one can explore the design process in architecture through a hands-on exercise building exercise. The event will focus on what the main stages of the architectural process are, from defining your project, gathering inspiration, and exploration of the context, to researching and developing your concept. Participants will build as a team and as individuals.

Additionally, the store will offer architecture fans the first look at a new LEGO Architecture product that can only be found for sale in Barnes & Noble and LEGO brand outlets from July 25-28. “This event is perfect for anyone interested in visual design and the important and profound role design plays in our communities. Aspiring architects, design enthusiasts and LEGO fans will have a hands-on opportunity to explore concepts and discover new insights by constructing 3D models,” said Kathleen Campisano, Vice President, Toys & Games, Barnes & Noble, Inc. “Barnes & Noble is excited to partner with LEGO to continue the world-wide conversation and collaborative nature of architectural design through these engaging and fun events.”

So it is a 1,200 piece parts-pack, all in white, along with a 250pg book, which I would assume contains theory, history, lessons and examples. Kind of like the Master Builder Academy, but for an older/adult age group.

Jimbro72

Thanks! Sounds kind of fascinating. I can only imagine the price of it due to the 1200 piece part count and, especially, the 250 page book included. I would think $99.99, though probably more.

ghostmind

Thanks! Sounds kind of fascinating. I can only imagine the price of it due to the 1200 piece part count and, especially, the 250 page book included. I would think $99.99, though probably more.

If you have a local B&N, I would inquire if they are hosting one of these events if you are interested in taking a look. The events seem to be happening nationwide, though not at all B&N locations, and all around the 26th to 28th of July.

Jimbro72

So I assume this is only being sold or made available during these events and not through LEGO stores or S@H or anything like that afterward?

And it does look like this is happening at a local store, too, here in the Twin Cities. Hmmm, will have to consider this....

Apparently we are now entitled to some of the sweet Amazon discounts that our US friends have been getting.

http://toysnbricks.com/amazon-canada-now-has-a-toy-department-including-lego/

I am ordering Quinjet & the Hulk set today!

Congrats! More fuel for the addiction or money saved on stuff you would have bought anyway. Amazon is killing brick and mortar retail stores and I'm ashamed I support them buy buying stuff off them all the time. They just have so many good deals. At least it's more fair now that they started to tax orders, sucks for consumers in short run though.

First image of the upcoming "Architecture Studio" set:

sFvAW96.jpg

This will likely tie-in to the events of the same name, happening at Barnes and Noble locations in July.

(better pic when I can get it)

Interesting. I may be interested if they have a lot of unique pieces and show a lot of techniques. I'm just scared the price will be like the master builders sets.

NTxb9C3.jpg

Oh my. Peacock if the theme makes it that far. Nothing scientific, but seems like sets are selling just OK and the Speedorz are not selling well at all.

That would be a very creepy minifig which is ironic since the peacock is a great looking bird.

Was a little slow yesterday so spamming a bit with my photos. Old man walker got a good response on my Instagram account so thought I'd share.

ghostmind

July should be a good month for LEGO news:

• Series 11 reveal should be within the next 2 weeks
  • SDCC exclusives and reveals by/on July 18th (Hobbit? Thor? 2014 Super Heroes?)
  • 2014 set info leaks probably by end of July

Winter Village Market reveal should be happening around the first week of August.

So it is a 1,200 piece parts-pack, all in white, along with a 250pg book, which I would assume contains theory, history, lessons and examples. Kind of like the Master Builder Academy, but for an older/adult age group.
Interesting. First I have heard of this. And the set is for sale 3 days only?

ghostmind

Interesting. First I have heard of this. And the set is for sale 3 days only?

I'm unsure on that. I want to believe that it is only exclusive to B&N (and S@H) for those 3 days.

Otherwise that is one hell of an availability period.

I'm going to be away on vacation that week, so I won't be close to any B&N's to take part.

• SDCC exclusives and reveals by/on July 18th (Hobbit? Thor? 2014 Super Heroes?)

Winter Village Market reveal should be happening around the first week of August.

Hoping for some Hobbit sets. Please let there be a Smaug.

Was a little slow yesterday so spamming a bit with my photos. Old man walker got a good response on my Instagram account so thought I'd share.

Very cool.

I'm unsure on that. I want to believe that it is only exclusive to B&N (and S@H) for those 3 days.

I haven't bought anything from the architecture line, but a 3 day exclusive is enough to get me interested. That can't be a healthy response.

Speaking of unhealthy...there are some polybags I just never want to open. The one you sent me was included in that list, until today. Having kids is a good way of breaking bad habits:

Cannot wait for this. The prospect of rebuilding Toy Shop along with 4 other full sets is almost too much to handle.

Never want to open a Harry Potter poly?!

How dare you.

Ha! I didn't even notice that was in the picture too. We'll open that one this weekend in your honor.

Building the Lex one was timed well actually, as we watched that LEGO Batman movie right after and the gun is prominently featured throughout.

Ha! I didn't even notice that was in the picture too. We'll open that one this weekend in your honor.

Building the Lex one was timed well actually, as we watched that LEGO Batman movie right after and the gun is prominently featured throughout.

It's nothing spectacular, I was just happy to get a Harry school uniform minifig. Your kids might like that you hide a spider away under the potions.

Ponn

Banned
So i see Batman Batwing set is retiring/disappearing. Ive so far only got Lex Armor and Arctic Batman, was holding off on Asylum and either Two face/Batmobile or Bane vs Bat set but im wondering if i should rearrange priorities in light of some of these sets disappearing. With Haunted House, Orthanc, Winter sets, Metroplex, christmas gifts and eithernew PS3 or PS 4 my budget will be tight for rest of year. I guess im not to worried about the smaller sets, i like the Batmobile but hate the Two Face fig and extra car. I guess im just concerned if Asylum will be available into next year or should i prioritize that over Orthanc expecting Orthanc to be available well into next year. Oh Orthanc, you are my unicorn.

Otherwise that is one hell of an availability period.

I'm going to be away on vacation that week, so I won't be close to any B&N's to take part.

Looks like the store near my apartment is doing the event, but none of the others in the area are. Hopefully I can get some time to go over there to see the event and snag the set. I hope it is not crazy limited.

neonglow

Looks like the store near my apartment is doing the event, but none of the others in the area are. Hopefully I can get some time to go over there to see the event and snag the set. I hope it is not crazy limited.

I really hope it's under $100 and not some of the other crazy Architecture prices. There's no license involved.

ghostmind

This is old from the Gizmodo LEGO videos. I've seen most of the videos, but somehow I never saw the minfig one until now. Crazy how the full torsos are put together by machines. Posting for any newcomers to LEGO.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/5041136/exclusive-video-how-lego-builds-the-minifigs

Link to original article.
http://lego.gizmodo.com/5022769/exclusive-inside-the-lego-factory

Never seen that before - thanks! Makes me curious how they have revised the process to accommodate the many double-sided face printings that are used these days.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The village - yes.
The nether - no. What would that even be, just some random dark purply-brown bricks and some orange for lava?

Fowler

Expanding a CUUSOO set is interesting tho, and may be why they called the DeLorean a one-off -- they only got a deal to make one BttF set, whereas Mojang is a bit more open?

I have a question for anybody who has built 9525- Pre Viszla fighter thing....

There are two grey cones on the rear of the ship that attach to two handguns. The cones *barely* stay on for me. Anybody else have this issue?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

Hoping for some Hobbit sets. Please let there be a Smaug.

I'm unsure how big this Hobbit wave will be, especially considering we got the Mirkwood/Barrel sets last year too early.

Hopefully Smaug is a shoe-in and Laketown would be nice. Other than that maybe the secret entrance to Erebor and hopefully a Necromancer set too.. Would love more elf minifigs either way.

Gandalf poly bag promo is on today in WH Smiths. Unfortunately you have to buy the Daily Fail. Also, Smiths are now selling various other poly bags for 2.99

I have a question for anybody who has built 9525- Pre Viszla fighter thing....

There are two grey cones on the rear of the ship that attach to two handguns. The cones *barely* stay on for me. Anybody else have this issue?

I think that gun barrel is too short for the cone piece, I just reverse mine and call it a day. I don't know may be we are doing it wrong but I don't see any other way for that piece to stay on as shown in the instruction.

46WlYBWl.jpg

Vyer

I think that gun barrel is too short for the cone piece, I just reverse mine and call it a day. I don't know may be we are doing it wrong but I don't see any other way for that piece to stay on as shown in the instruction.

46WlYBWl.jpg

My son got that for his birthday and we did the exact same thing.

Matt

So I was at Target last night, went to the Lego section, and was SHOCKED to find four Series 6 Minifigures on their shelf surrounded buy Series 10. Not sure where they came from, as I had just been there the week before. Of course I bought them, and it turns out all four were different. Wonder where they came from. Also interesting is that, according to my receipt, Target charged more for them than the Series 10 Minifigures.

46WlYBWl.jpg

My son got that for his birthday and we did the exact same thing.

This has been irrationally bothering me all day so I just took another look at it. I don't think any of us had "clicked" the cone into place. Look at it again and there is a tiny (less than one mm) bit of clearance for you to push it down. Do so and it'll click into place, problem solved.

Glad I figured it out. The original impression was very "un LEGO"

This has been irrationally bothering me all day so I just took another look at it. I don't think any of us had "clicked" the cone into place. Look at it again and there is a tiny (less than one mm) bit of clearance for you to push it down. Do so and it'll click into place, problem solved.

Glad I figured it out. The original impression was very "un LEGO"

That's what I thought originally and try to push it down but it didn't seems to "click" so we gave up. My daughter hate that thing anyway, she call it the Mass Effect ship. She nominated it to be the next ship to get un-build and put away. I thought the ship was pretty neat.

I will give it a look later and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the hint.

ghostmind

They available just loose on the shelf? Is it a standard branch or one of the travel ones?

Standard branch - bunch of different polys just sitting in a box or boxes. Reports that have come in have them placed in different places around the shop - ask for the mini-builds if you go to one.

Top Bottom