• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

OK, now that my flashgasm is over. Is anyone else getting sick of all the batmobiles? Don't get me wrong, it's like the design, but I'd prefer some other type of set. So many Batman vehicle chase sets. I think 1 Batmobile a year should be the limit.

They need to introduce stuff like the Bat-Limo, the Bat-SUV and the Bat-Buggy

OK, now that my flashgasm is over. Is anyone else getting sick of all the batmobiles? Don't get me wrong, it's like the design, but I'd prefer some other type of set. So many Batman vehicle chase sets. I think 1 Batmobile a year should be the limit.

I am not sure what else can they do with Super Heroes set. For small set it's almost a necessity to include some type of vehicle and personally I think Batman series have the best of the vehicles.

Speaking of Super Heroes vehicles, I build the Ultimate Spider-Man set (man I used to love the comic back in the early day of the reboot). The set has two of the better vehicles that I build so far. Much better than the Iron Man speed boat thing, better than the (throw away) military jeep that came with Man of Steel set and yet they are still lack luster. The hover car is nice but the Spider-hover bike just take me out of Spider-man universe.

w3uHqwZl.jpg

And we all know the real reason to get Super Heroes set ... I think LEGO should do iconic scene recreation but then again these things are for kids. The best set so far is the Batman and Cat-woman scene (someone mention this before), and they really should strive for more of similar type of setting.

w8u6hWYl.jpg

Oh, this came few days ago. I have no idea who he is but he does look pretty neat. The hologram cover is a nice touch.

HkbCocAl.jpg

mWjj6pBl.jpg

Is this the first WV set without a light brick? I think it is. I kind of dig those in the holiday sets.

The Winter Village Cottage has a light brick.

The Winter Village Cottage has a light brick.

Exactly!

I built Toy Shop last year and it has one. I have the other three (including the cottage) in unopened boxes downstairs and they all have light bricks. I'm a giant Christmas nerd but I really think that the light bricks help showcase the mood.

Exactly!

I built Toy Shop last year and it has one. I have the other three (including the cottage) in unopened boxes downstairs and they all have light bricks. I'm a giant Christmas nerd but I really think that the light bricks help showcase the mood.
I didn't know all of them have lightbrick, they should have put that on the carousel somewhere. The new set is lackluster the more I look at it.

Ponn

Banned
xF5R2xA.jpg

LEGO Batman: The Riddler Chase (304pcs; $29.99; Jan 2014)

(one of the SDCC reveal sets)

Ugh..I hate that i'm looking at pretty much all the DC sets for the figs only. With Marvel I at least enjoy the Quinjet and Malibu Mansion. Those two vehicles are such throwaways.

Waiting patiently for more set reveals. Hoping for a Croc set.

Ugh..I hate that i'm looking at pretty much all the DC sets for the figs only. With Marvel I at least enjoy the Quinjet and Malibu Mansion. Those two vehicles are such throwaways.

Except for saaaaay the Nick Fury set or the Quinjet, most of the vehicles in these superhero sets have been very lacking.

Ponn

Banned
Except for saaaaay the Nick Fury set or the Quinjet, most of the vehicles in these superhero sets have been very lacking.

I just put that Spider Cycle chase set together this past weekend. I will say the bike is the first cool bike i've put together, I just hate the concept of Spider-man riding around on a bike. The car/jeep thing I admit was a kind of cool build and the whole time I was thinking to myself I will bet dollars to donuts they are going to use that frame for the Back to the Future car. I still think the truck from the Hawkeye set is a better vehicle for Nick Fury though. I turn the missles so they look like smoke stacks.

I just put that Spider Cycle chase set together this past weekend. I will say the bike is the first cool bike i've put together, I just hate the concept of Spider-man riding around on a bike. The car/jeep thing I admit was a kind of cool build and the whole time I was thinking to myself I will bet dollars to donuts they are going to use that frame for the Back to the Future car. I still think the truck from the Hawkeye set is a better vehicle for Nick Fury though. I turn the missles so they look like smoke stacks.

The concept of Spidey on a bike is kinda lame considering how easy it is for him to get by with web slinging but it is a slick little bike. I agree on Fury though, it does make more sense for him to be in a SUV...Paulson could be in the hovercar

Daily Bugle Showdown is a pretty mediocre set, but the mini figs in it are fantastic. That is a set I have no shame in admitting that I bought for the figures.

ghostmind

Daily Bugle Showdown is a pretty mediocre set, but the mini figs in it are fantastic. That is a set I have no shame in admitting that I bought for the figures.

I think I could say that for all the Super-Hero sets, with a few notable exceptions, and one set that flipped my expectations upside-down.

I think I could say that for all the Super-Hero sets, with a few notable exceptions, and one set that flipped my expectations upside-down.

Was the Quinjet that flipped your expectations? It was with me. I got it for figures and parts, but loved the thing too damn much.
Only super hero set I want for the set (and figures of course) is Arkham Asylum

ghostmind

Was the Quinjet that flipped your expectations? It was with me. I got it for figures and parts, but loved the thing too damn much.
Only super hero set I want for the set (and figures of course) is Arkham Asylum

Yep, the Quinjet. Arkham was the main set I got for the set itself, with the others being the Funhouse and to some extent, the Lex-Mech.

Yep, the Quinjet. Arkham was the main set I got for the set itself, with the others being the Funhouse and to a some extent, the Lex-Mech.

Yeah, that Lex Mech was sweet. Still one of the best sets for $20 or less. You get three great figures, and an awesome build. The fact that it is a mech is only the icing on the cake.

The Loki / Hawkeye jeep set is pretty good. The vehicle is terrific and you end up with a couple of decent figs. It's a great example of how well LEGO can hit that $20-$25 price point set out of the park sometimes.

I just put that Spider Cycle chase set together this past weekend. I will say the bike is the first cool bike i've put together, ...

Yeah, the bike is great! It's ridiculous in an 80s "Spiderman's Chopper Showdown" sort of way, but the bike itself is terrific.

This is exactly why I bought Doctor Doom at Brickfete last week on his own. The set itself is one that I'm not remotely interested in, and I don't even know who Nova or the bug dude are, so I'm ok without getting those figs. I thought Nova was actually Doctor Fate until I did the math.

Yep, the Quinjet. Arkham was the main set I got for the set itself, with the others being the Funhouse and to some extent, the Lex-Mech.

My brother in law was talking about Arkham last weekend. He claims that the set featured some really nice building techniques despite the fact that it wasn't necessarily a "kid-friendly" set. His seven year old has all the recent big sets (Best Star, Diagon Alley etc. etc.) and apparently Arkham really stood out for this reason. Is this your experience as well?

Yeah, that Lex Mech was sweet. Still one of the best sets for $20 or less. You get three great figures, and an awesome build. The fact that it is a mech is only the icing on the cake.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Lex Mech + Pet Shop + Shelob is the perfect trifecta to bring someone into the LEGO fold. All of those sets are simply amazing and I'm not sure they could be improved upon. So glad I listened to your advice on the mech.

ghostmind

My brother in law was talking about Arkham last weekend. He claims that the set featured some really nice building techniques despite the fact that it wasn't necessarily a "kid-friendly" set. His seven year old has all the recent big sets (Best Star, Diagon Alley etc. etc.) and apparently Arkham really stood out for this reason. Is this your experience as well?

There is a reason it is a 10000-series set, and it isn't the piece-count. It's a super-hero set that builds like a modular.

Looking on Eurobricks forums, it's sounds unlikely that the Delorean will be available this Thursday in the US. Not sure about other regions. LEGO direct says they don't know when it's coming out, and people are reporting local LEGO shops are saying the same. Seems like they would know, being it's only 3 days away.

There is a reason it is a 10000-series set, and it isn't the piece-count. It's a super-hero set that builds like a modular.
Dat Marcos Bessa! I still need to get Arkham (waiting for double VIP), but after Quinjet I am interested in anything he designs. The fact that he did the upcoming Ewok Village excites me greatly.
Looking on Eurobricks forums, it's sounds unlikely that the Delorean will be available this Thursday in the US. Not sure about other regions. LEGO direct says they don't know when it's coming out, and people are reporting local LEGO shops are reporting the same. Seems like they would know, being it's only 3 days away.
C'mon August release so I can order Dolphin Cruiser at same time!

C'mon August release so I can order Dolphin Cruiser at same time!

I'm fine waiting a month as well since there really isn't anything else I want right now. I am starting to wonder if that sticker spelling error actually made it to production or if it's just on the box. That would be a major f'up, could explain any delay.

ghostmind

I put up a slightly-better picture of the Batman/Flash set on my original post.

That Batmobile looks to have some kind of launcher in the back, for what looks like a small jet/drone???

That Batmobile looks to have some kind of launcher in the back, for what looks like a small jet/drone???
It is to launch the awesomeness of that Flash figure. :)
I am buying it just for Flash. I feel many here will as well.

Ponn

Banned

Do you bychance have any info on how many super hero set reveals we might get this week and if there will be any Marvel ones? Gauging what i should set my expectations at.

They need to introduce stuff like the Bat-Limo, the Bat-SUV and the Bat-Buggy

Exactly. They've been doing that with action figures ad nauseum. Bat-Mech, Bat-Tank, Bat-Sub, Bat-Spaceship, Bat-Stroller, etc.

I am not sure what else can they do with Super Heroes set. For small set it's almost a necessity to include some type of vehicle and personally I think Batman series have the best of the vehicles.

Speaking of Super Heroes vehicles, I build the Ultimate Spider-Man set (man I used to love the comic back in the early day of the reboot). The set has one of the better vehicle that I build so far. Much better than the Iron Man speed boat thing, better than the (throw away) military jeep that came with Man of Steel set and yet they are still lack luster. The hover car is nice but the Spider-hover bike just take me out of Spider-man universe.

w3uHqwZl.jpg

And we all know the real reason to get Super Heroes set ... I think LEGO should do iconic scene recreation but then again these things are for kids. The best set so far is the Batman and Cat-woman scene (someone mention this before), and they really should strive for more of similar type of setting.

I agree Batman has the most vehicles. And you are right about the need for vehicles to sell to kids. Looking at the 2013 city sets, almost all of them have at least 1 vehicle. http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?year=2013&theme=city

Somehow my mind must be exaggerating the number of Batmobiles. An incomplete list of Batman LEGO vehicles: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Batman_and_DC_Super_Heroes_Vehicles

I worry that they will continue to use Batman as an anchor in almost all sets. Without cartoons or movies to drive other characters, I'm afraid there will be a limit to what other DC character minifigs we get. If that's the case, I truly hope LEGO does some CMF DC and CMF Marvel series.

I agree on the idea of scene creations. There's always villain lairs. The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape was one of the better of the Batman sets. They could do rescue scenarios.

Not sure why they don't try a Teen Titans set. There's sorta a cartoon to drive sets. Robin can be an anchor to sell those sets.

Oh well, I think I'm like most and just want more minifigures of Super Heroes and Villains. :) CMF Super Heroes!!!

Nice Spidey photo. As for the Spider-Cycle, someone has mentioned it's actually part of the current Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. It's a really cool cycle and can easily be used as a generic SHIELD cycle or something if it's not your taste. Action figures have been putting all sorts of super heroes in strange vehicles and kids still buy them.

Fabuland is very AC-like:

2W8und7.jpg

Not sure why, but I'm feeling like I want some Fabuland minifigs. Perhaps my addiction is expanding to more exotic fixes. :(

Vyer

Like I mentioned before, really thought Dragon Mountain was a nice little set.

Tower and bridge. Set looks good all together.

Closer look at Wizard's tower/jail cell and the steps leading up to it.

Backside of tower, with some sort of living quarters. Complete with cheese and mouse hole! lol

Across the bridge, Wizard's chamber with treasure chest and spider web door. Web folds down to see inside the chamber.

minifigs. Dragon wizard looks cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The delorean is really love/hate - at the same time. The hood and wheels (god those wheels, on a sports car?) are just horrible, but the minifigs are great, it has gull-wing doors, can be built as all three cars..

And of course, the dragon.

Overall a good value for what you get and makes me more interested in getting us other sets from the line.

Thanks for the review. The flame doesn't look as bad as I originally thought. From some other photo I saw, it looked like it was coming from the dragon's chin under the mouth. Looks better in your photos. Will definitely get this set eventually mainly for the dragon, but the rest looks pretty decent.

Exactly. They've been doing that with action figures ad nauseum. Bat-Mech, Bat-Tank, Bat-Sub, Bat-Spaceship, Bat-Stroller, etc.

I agree Batman has the most vehicles. And you are right about the need for vehicles to sell to kids. Looking at the 2013 city sets, almost all of them have at least 1 vehicle. http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?year=2013&theme=city

Somehow my mind must be exaggerating the number of Batmobiles. An incomplete list of Batman LEGO vehicles: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Batman_and_DC_Super_Heroes_Vehicles

I worry that they will continue to use Batman as an anchor in almost all sets. Without cartoons or movies to drive other characters, I'm afraid there will be a limit to what other DC character minifigs we get. If that's the case, I truly hope LEGO does some CMF DC and CMF Marvel series.

I agree on the idea of scene creations. There's always villain lairs. The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape was one of the better of the Batman sets. They could do rescue scenarios.

Not sure why they don't try a Teen Titans set. There's sorta a cartoon to drive sets. Robin can be an anchor to sell those sets.

Oh well, I think I'm like most and just want more minifigures of Super Heroes and Villains. :) CMF Super Heroes!!!

Nice Spidey photo. As for the Spider-Cycle, someone has mentioned it's actually part of the current Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. It's a really cool cycle and can easily be used as a generic SHIELD cycle or something if it's not your taste. Action figures have been putting all sorts of super heroes in strange vehicles and kids still buy them.

Well, beside Superman' DC doesn't really have well known characters like Marvel, especially with the recent success of the Avengers. As for Spidey cycle, you know I always ignore those vehicles like Spider race car or jet in the action figures line, not sure why I am more annoy with LEGO. They are also kid toys.

I am thinking may be their contract probably doesn't allow selling of individual figures, or they need to at least you know make it about building. I can't imagine that they would not have more set line up for this fall to coincide with Marvel LEGO video games.

As for iconic scene I was thinking may be battle with Green Goblin on Brooklyn Bridge, but Gwen falling to her dead is probably too morbid for kids,

Vyer

Thanks for the review. The flame doesn't look as bad as I originally thought. From some other photo I saw, it looked like it was coming from the dragon's chin under the mouth. Looks better in your photos. Will definitely get this set eventually mainly for the dragon, but the rest looks pretty decent.

Yeah, it's a hole at the tip of the lower jaw, though it looks better when the flame is attached when the mouth is closed.

The delorean is really love/hate - at the same time. The hood and wheels (god those wheels, on a sports car?) are just horrible, but the minifigs are great, it has gull-wing doors, can be built as all three cars..

I definitely don't love it, but I feel like I must have it.

Top Bottom