• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

EDIT: For anyone interested (wetwired), the "Bat vs Bane" set is $40USD, which is a pretty good price considering you get the 3 exclusive movie minifigs.

Yeah I was gonna pass on those and the TMNT sets and just buy the minifigs but for those prices it makes more sense to import from the US. I've got those 2 smaller batman sets and the TMNT sewer, krang escape and stealth bike sets on preorder at barnes and noble.

I decided i might just go for ONE nice set in each line to get some more into collecting or something...

To start off with, can you guys recommend me a good set in the Marvel Superheroes or DC Superheroes line that would be pretty representative of the line as a whole?

wetwired

Do you have a price range?

Superman and Wonder Woman vs The Lex Luthor in Power Armour set is great value, 3 exclusive minifigs and a cool mech.

Kuntz

Okay, I've been lurking this thread for too long 15-25 years ago I was really into LEGO and it never disappeared.

I even remember being a model child, but when LEGO was involved I could fight, even went as far a steal some sets in stores (the small cardboard set with a minifig and some vehicule or anything were so easy to open with the thumb ... I stopped after a while because of shame). Don't do this kids !

Well so here I am, the nearest toys store is a 2-hour drive away, the nearest lego store in France (only 2 of them exist) are like 600km away...

So here are my questions :

- What is the best way to start again ? I really want those modulars but looks like half of those are no longer available and I don't want to buy them used.
- Looks like the best way to buy is via online lego store ? Or is Amazon the best regarding deals ?
- I signed for the VIP program but still haven't bought anything, is it better to wait for very good offers, and do we sometimes get gifts like when the lego magazine was up (that was the moment of the month : find out what the next issue is about, and what kind of gift was included).
- Are the minifig sets international ? Haven't seen any of those in France. Again i'm in the remote countryside so that may be the reason why...

My wallet is shouting at me but I'm covering my ears.
I really want the space shuttle, but it's soldout at the moment :(

Here comes a new challenger !

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just finished putting out my Winter sets. If Lego comes out with another I won't have room for it. ( ;´Д`)

Thinking of getting either the Batwing battle over Gotham City set (since Batman & the Batwing look great here) OR/and getting the Lex Luthor Power Armor one for Supes mainly (and i guess i can live with the mech lol) Also considering Wolverine's Chopper Showdown mainly for Wolverine himself and the bike which would look awesome on my desk ;)

Will either of these go OOP soon or do i have some time left to think about it ? ;)

ruxtpin

Banned
oh snap. Built my first 'real' Star Wars UCS set. My first Lego set after my dark ages was the Jedi Starfighter earlier this year. S@H had it for 50% off, so I figured I'd give that one a shot to test the waters... ANYWAY...

Just built the B-Wing. Insanely awesome display ship. Reminded me of playing the X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and Rogue Squadron games when I was younger. I could never get enough of those games.

I just mailed the local semi-official Lego store where I'm going for Christmas, and he says he has both the Medieval Market, the Bag End set and at least a few modulars in stock. So yeah, might be an expensive trip.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be going for any modulars though, but fantasy stuff would work well with my planned custom minifigs. Also looking forward to a possible balrog and (probably very likely) Smaug.

Fowler

Yeah, I had the same problem. Adding smaller pieces, especially directly on the baseplates, caused the baseplates to flex and separate from the main structure. It happened quite a bit, so it was frustrating as I had to frequently press everything back into place. I eventually just ended up attaching pieces while holding the set in one hand to avoid this. Thankfully, the structure was small enough to do this without too much trouble.

I'm actually starting to get really annoyed with it.

It's such an awesome set -- it looks incredible and there's great detail to it. But any time any of my friends want to take a closer look (which has happened a few times already), I've had to say sorry, no, it'll fall apart.

I moved it to the shelf... the front garden fell off.

I took the roof off... the floor split in half.

I moved a minifig to the garden... oh, there goes the fence.

I'm sorry that you had the same trouble, but selfishly I'm also glad; I just don't understand what the problem is and thought my plates were defective. All the connections to the plates are standard, there's no weird technique joining them, they just don't fit together.

There's a tmnt shellraiser street chase at the flea market for $30. I'm tempted but also curious how they got a brand new set not out yet and selling it for half retail price.

R-User!

I decided i might just go for ONE nice set in each line to get some more into collecting or something...

To start off with, can you guys recommend me a good set in the Marvel Superheroes or DC Superheroes line that would be pretty representative of the line as a whole?

For Marvel: The Quinjet
For DC: The Batcave

Based on what I've seen and my personal opinion. :)

For Marvel: The Quinjet
For DC: The Batcave

Based on what I've seen and my personal opinion. :)

I checked some youtube reviews on these 2 and... They both seem to have great playability which is nice (especially if you have kids) but as i am looking more toward displayability and overall looks, these might not be for me :( though i LOVE that Batcave feature where you drop in Bruce Wayne and out comes Batman below LOL ;)

Still, damn shame they don't have a Batmobile ONLY set like the one in the Batcave one, as i think it looks decent (besides the yellow rims), so i am still looking at the Batwing Battle one, at least it comes with a pretty great looking Batwing.

God, i would KILL for a UCS Batmobile set!

ghostmind

Logistics Engineer, everything between mould and packaging. :D

That sounds like an amazing job!

This is great, with folks from both retail and production & design participating in this thread - LEGO-GAF is truly best-GAF.

Now we just need to lure a set designer in here... paging Mark Stafford or Jamie Berard!

wetwired

Logistics Engineer, everything between mould and packaging. :D

So you're apart of that finely tuned machine that is the lego factories I saw in that short documentary video a year or 2 back?

Ask your bosses where my commission is for all the thousands of dollars worth of sales made due to my original thread, I'll take payment in the form or bricks and sets :p

Kalamoj

So you're apart of that finely tuned machine that is the lego factories I saw in that short documentary video a year or 2 back?

Ask your bosses where my commission is for all the thousands of dollars worth of sales made due to my original thread, I'll take payment in the form or bricks and sets :p

Yes, I just started to work with the automated warehouse, really fun stuff.
We producing mosty DUPLO, deal? :p

I'm actually starting to get really annoyed with it.

It's such an awesome set -- it looks incredible and there's great detail to it. But any time any of my friends want to take a closer look (which has happened a few times already), I've had to say sorry, no, it'll fall apart.

I moved it to the shelf... the front garden fell off.

I took the roof off... the floor split in half.

I moved a minifig to the garden... oh, there goes the fence.

I'm sorry that you had the same trouble, but selfishly I'm also glad; I just don't understand what the problem is and thought my plates were defective. All the connections to the plates are standard, there's no weird technique joining them, they just don't fit together.
It's just one of those sets that are fragile. It sucks, but that's the way that some sets are. It sounds like you're having more trouble than I am for whatever reason, though I'm also extra careful with it whenever moving it from place to place. It's likely due to some kind of design flaw where there are some weak areas with not enough overlapping pieces. I recently designed my own Death Star in LDD and it was pretty complex with lots of hinges and small plates to get a nice spherical look to it. It looks fantastic, but structurally, it's a mess. I bought all the individual pieces via LEGO and Bricklink and began to construct it. It got to the point about halfway through the set where every new piece that I would attach would result in even more pieces falling off. I was actually spending more time re-attaching pieces than putting on new pieces. It got to be way too frustrating and I decided to take it apart, start over again, and I'm going to glue many of the pieces in the critical spots. It gave me a new appreciation for the LEGO designers and how they obviously have to keep structural integrity in mind as well as aesthetic design.

This is great, with folks from both retail and production & design participating in this thread - LEGO-GAF is truly best-GAF.

Now we just need to lure a set designer in here... paging Mark Stafford or Jamie Berard!
Agreed. We have so many awesome posters in this thread, both official and non-official. Best. Thread. Ever.

Avixph

He has a flickr acount.

bodine1231

R2 done! The head looks much better in person than in pictures,I thought I'd hate it but it works well with the figure. Imperial Shuttle up next!!

20121216_014347.jpg

TheGrue

Was hoping people would give me some advice by replying g to my earlier post in this thread, so since I got no reply, I will ask in another way in hopes of sparking some conversation. What do you guys do with these sets once you've built them? Do you disassemble and put them back in the box or do you have the displayed around where you live?

Milamber

Was hoping people would give me some advice by replying g to my earlier post in this thread, so since I got no reply, I will ask in another way in hopes of sparking some conversation. What do you guys do with these sets once you've built them? Do you disassemble and put them back in the box or do you have the displayed around where you live?

For me, After I built them, I display only for a few days before I disassemble them & individually bag the set pieces in categories & go back to the box to be stored, as my room has a big ass window facing the morning sun. So I'm afraid of having off color bricks. I enjoy an occasional cigarillo too so I never smoke in the same room as my LEGO but you can never be too careful.

ghostmind

It depends on the set. Some of my very special sets, such as R2 and the B-wing have a permanent spot in my home office, unless something ever comes along that could possibly replace them.

Other sets, specifically the modulars and builds around 1,500pcs and up are going to be permanently built now that I have enough shelving to display them.

Still others, such as Winter Village and Monster Fighters, will be seasonal and rebuilt each year. Haunted House will be the exception as it joins my modulars.

Smaller sets will cycle in and out as my tastes, and available space, dictate.

One thing you will learn the deeper you go into the hobby is that you will need to invest in display and storage solutions, and if you plan on MOC'ing, you will need sorting solutions as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It depends on the set. Some of my very special sets, such as R2 and the B-wing have a permanent spot in my home office, unless something ever comes along that could possibly replace them.

Other sets, specifically the modulars and builds around 1,500pcs and up are going to be permanently built now that I have enough shelving to display them.

Still others, such as Winter Village and Monster Fighters, will be seasonal and rebuilt each year. Haunted House will be the exception as it joins my modulars.

Smaller sets will cycle in and out as my tastes, and available space, dictate.

One thing you will learn the deeper you go into the hobby is that you will need to invest in display and storage solutions, and if you plan on MOC'ing, you will need sorting solutions as well.

My only problem is as I accumulate more and more large sets, there is less and less space for the smaller sets to cycle into..

Just bought another shelf, so hopefully our smaller glass display shelves can be dedicated to smaller sets

Top Bottom