• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

The MSRP of the Sith Fury is $89.99.

If you are specifically interested in Star Wars sets, you should check FBTB.net on a regular basis, as they post online deals often.

The lowest prices will be found via Walmart clearance sales, but you need to find a good Walmart for that and check it often. After a while you'll get used to their clearance patterns.

Thanks for the tips. My local Walmarts are horrible, they never put anything on clearance. I will check out FBTB. Man this hobby is going to kill my wallet, good things I slow down on game purchase and stop collecting Star Wars toys.

Hmmm, alright then, i would probably get it regardless but i am trying to fill out my collection of different ships first before i start on doubles ;)

Also: Does anyone have some tips on what sets to get if i want to get into foliage and trees etc? Are there no complete sets for this kind of stuff kind of like there are for windows/doors and red roofpieces?

The Dino line has a reasonable amount of foliage. Also it's going oop and can be found on the cheap if you ate lucky.
Not that many sets come with foliage in general now that I think about it.
You will have to jump at you pab wall if they ever have anything in there.

The Dino line has a reasonable amount of foliage. Also it's going oop and can be found on the cheap if you ate lucky.
Not that many sets come with foliage in general now that I think about it.
You will have to jump at you pab wall if they ever have anything in there.

Thanks, any sets from the Dino line that can be recommended in general? (This line really is Jurassic Park without the Jurassic Park part right?)

edit: just checked some sets, there's some but really not all that much foliage there either :(

Maybe i should just buy a bunch of Ewok attack sets lol that ones does come with tons of brown pieces and some green as well...

wetwired

tumblr_mcylt4pUts1rk4qm0o1_r1_400.gif

ih6s0X7k07SHH.gif

wetwired

Thanks, any sets from the Dino line that can be recommended in general? (This line really is Jurassic Park without the Jurassic Park part right?)

If you're after a lot of foilage, unless you're lucky enough to have a lego store nearby with a Pick a Brick wall your next best bet is pick a brick online or bricklink.com for bulk foilage pieces. Bricklink is generally cheaper.

edit: just checked some sets, there's some but really not all that much foliage there either :(

Maybe i should just buy a bunch of Ewok attack sets lol that ones does come with tons of brown pieces and some green as well...

if you can find the creator crocodile anywhere that comes with LOADS of green bricks.

Fxp

Made my first 2013 impulse LEGO purchase yesterday. I was looking for little Friends set as present for friends's daugter and saw discounted polybag with 20018 AT-AT Walker. Never bought polybags before but that was really nice little build for $6.

vCW3S.jpg

If you're after a lot of foilage, unless you're lucky enough to have a lego store nearby with a Pick a Brick wall your next best bet is pick a brick online or bricklink.com for bulk foilage pieces. Bricklink is generally cheaper.

Didn't know there was such a thing, sounds awesome Pick a Brick wall that is!!!

Do they have all kinds of special pieces like leaves etc or just a regular assortiment of standard bricks in all colors?

wetwired

Didn't know there was such a thing, sounds awesome Pick a Brick wall that is!!!

Do they have all kinds of special pieces like leaves etc or just a regular assortiment of standard bricks in all colors?

Depends on where and when you go, each store will have different bricks and as their stock is sold it's replaced with new different bricks\pieces.

R-User!

Theoden_Gif.gif

Yeah, I am a little excited about a massive UCS LOTR set. Whether it lives up to expectations or not, I need to support it. Because if the first attempt does well, we might get more later.

Man, now I want to rewatch the LOTR trilogy again. Or at least Return of the King to see Theoden busting heads during the charge of the Rohirrim.
tumblr_mdigma3NUd1rqolu9o1_1280.jpg

Yeah, best scene of the entire trilogy.

Now for wrath! Now for ruin; and a red dawn!!!

Or:

Ride!!!
RIDE!!!
RIDE!!!
*Ba-ba-buh nanuh nanuh naaaahh!!!*

R-User!

Made my first 2013 impulse LEGO purchase yesterday. I was looking for little Friends set as present for friends's daugter and saw discounted polybag with 20018 AT-AT Walker. Never bought polybags before but that was really nice little build for $6.

vCW3S.jpg

SIX DOLLARS!!!?

soultron

Banned
Is there a decent program to design lego models so you know exactly how many pieces of a given type you'd need to make it?

I follow this guy (@fredoichi) on twitter who does stuff like this and I don't know how he gets his builds to look so clean. I'm guessing he builds in real life, photographs it with great lighting, and then cleans it up in photoshop? Otherwise it has to be a computer program since it looks super super clean.

Is there a decent program to design lego models so you know exactly how many pieces of a given type you'd need to make it?

I follow this guy (@fredoichi) on twitter who does stuff like this and I don't know how he gets his builds to look so clean. I'm guessing he builds in real life, photographs it with great lighting, and then cleans it up in photoshop? Otherwise it has to be a computer program since it looks super super clean.

well the lego digital designer is very good, and there are loads of tutorials out there that help you get excelent lighting in renders of your digital lego builds.

beje

Banned
well the lego digital designer is very good, and there are loads of tutorials out there that help you get excelent lighting in renders of your digital lego builds.

I've been toying with it and in fact it does give you a listing of pieces with IDs and even makes a step by step digital instructions manual for whatever you've built so you can replicate in real life.

Haven't been around GAF over the holidays, with family stuff and whatever, but thought I'd jump on tonight to update on my Lego collection which boomed over the Christmas break.

Sorry for the crappy flash pics, but it's the first time I've been home in a while and the first opportunity with the camera lol..

hqrBp.jpg

PEiJa.jpg

w15vh.jpg

2CvA4.jpg

oFYPN.jpg

glQPJ.jpg

Also not pictured is a Darth Vader keyring, that I'm already too afraid to use for fear of damage/scratches etc haha..

Still keeping a keen eye on the local shop for those Imperial Shuttles with the busted boxes to get a discount.

I think my next kit will be the 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor.

Fxp

What were the regular prices and is that US dollars?

There were several bags of these left:
20017: BrickMaster - Prince of Persia
20015: Crocodile

Both sets priced ~$6 (it's local European shop so I recalculated price in dollars). I don't the regular price.

Also not pictured is a Darth Vader keyring, that I'm already too afraid to use for fear of damage/scratches etc haha..

I got a Gandalf keyring for Christmas and I don't want to put it on my keys for the same reason, despite getting a proper one from the Gandalf Arrives set. The OCD is strong with me.

I really want a Tie Fighter after I grab a Y-wing, the design is too iconic not to!

PowerArmorLex7_zpsa87a1f68.jpg

Just built this little guy here and i guess this set does feature a lot of GREEN pieces that i was looking for for making foliage and trees... no leaves of course but nonetheless, not too shabby!

Unfortunately i am not gonna take him apart for that right now since i just built him ;)

Just built this little guy here and i guess this set does feature a lot of GREEN pieces that i was looking for for making foliage and trees... no leaves of course but nonetheless, not too shabby!

Unfortunately i am not gonna take him apart for that right now since i just built him ;)

Just got that one myself. That set was a quick and fun build, but so awesome once done. Think I will be leaving him together for some time as the pose ability is really cool.

And here is my modified A-Wing. I pulled up the instructions online and just built from there. I had to make some color changes due to what I had in inventory, but now I no longer feel the need to go get the A-Wing set.

I did not have the steering wheel type pieces the official set had, so I used the flat disc pieces to fill out the engines instead.

I also did not have the flat piece to make the landing gear of the official set, so used two bricks to make something similar. I also did not have the angled technic joint to make the guns on the side, so instead I used the ball joint pieces.

I might give it another pass to try a different color scheme with pieces I have, but I kind of like the Alien Conquest colored A-Wing.

kms_md

That was a fun little build. My kids love it.

ghostmind

And here is my modified A-Wing. I pulled up the instructions online and just built from there. I had to make some color changes due to what I had in inventory, but now I no longer feel the need to go get the A-Wing set.

I did not have the steering wheel type pieces the official set had, so I used the flat disc pieces to fill out the engines instead.

I also did not have the flat piece to make the landing gear of the official set, so used two bricks to make something similar. I also did not have the angled technic joint to make the guns on the side, so instead I used the ball joint pieces.

I might give it another pass to try a different color scheme with pieces I have, but I kind of like the Alien Conquest colored A-Wing.

Nice work there! It appears that Sweden (or the Ukraine) has joined the Rebel Alliance! :)

Think I have most of the parts to make another one but in a slightly different color scheme. Think the only thing I dont have enough of are the 2x4 long slope bricks on the wings. I only had 3 black ones, but at least had 2 of the 1x4 ones to add to that one.

Is there a list maintained anywhere of what sets were released on what days (or months?).

I'm specifically trying to figure out when each of the Winter Village sets were released.

Is there a list maintained anywhere of what sets were released on what days (or months?).

I'm specifically trying to figure out when each of the Winter Village sets were released.

Brickset lists year. Months I do not think they do.

EDIT: Yup. They list the days of release on sets.

Built my 2013 sets.

Umbaran Heavy Tank

AT-RT

Sith Speeder

Highway Speedster

Really enjoyed them all but the dish's on the joints of both the RT and Tank come off if you pick them up wrong which is annoying. Not to worry, I usually dismantle most sets and part out into my collection got MOC's anyway.

Got some great minifigs, loving the Umbarans and once I find the right colour visor they will look great.

Sorry for the poor pics, can't find the charger for my Niko so mobile had to do.

Now, this talk of the new possible X-wing; I've not bought an X-wing since the UCS so am very open to a new one but I wonder what scale it will be for that price.

ghostmind

Think I have most of the parts to make another one but in a slightly different color scheme. Think the only thing I dont have enough of are the 2x4 long slope bricks on the wings. I only had 3 black ones, but at least had 2 of the 1x4 ones to add to that one.

Actually that is a nice homage to the Classic Space colors...

SHKfY.jpg

R-User!

I got a Gandalf keyring for Christmas and I don't want to put it on my keys for the same reason, despite getting a proper one from the Gandalf Arrives set. The OCD is strong with me.

I really want a Tie Fighter after I grab a Y-wing, the design is too iconic not to!

But if you break him in, and wear him out, even if he loses his cape, or even his face printing, he will have earned his stripes, and done his duty, in protecting your keys from Balrogs and thiiieves!

Let the great Maiar, the Servant of the Secret Fire, defend your keys!

Youuuu, shall nooot, loose your keeeys!!!

ruxtpin

Banned
Used my coupon to get 10% off the Kingdom Joust set (thought the pieces would be great for my castle MOC), and picked up some series 9 figs (still haven't opened yet). I figure, I've got a lot of time on the Arkham Asylum and the new train. I'll just be picking up the Cinema and Pet Shop at the same time now. Should make for a fun weekend in the future.

Edit: Nabbed 2 Knights, Ogre, Judge, Spaceman, and Plumber

Top Bottom