• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

beje

Banned
Oh great, just when I had a cell phone accident and I had to buy another one (killing the rest of this month leisure budget and half from next month) Amazon Spain decides to make a killer combo putting 2013 Creator sets with a 27% discount plus a 10€ voucher for purchases in toys over 30€. Fuck this shit.

Ironmask

Thought I would share a few pics of my collection.

The new eagle Creator set
20130121104418.jpg

The new Mech Creator set
20130121104345.jpg

I am currently building the new Technic F1 car and have the SSD, Death Star, Tower Bridge and the Horizon Express still to build.

I've got the eagle too, so poseable and so useful in many sets (LotR, Medieval, Nature...) that you feel embarassed to have spent only 9€/$ for it.

What's your thought on the Mech? I don't understand what they were trying to do with it, both three creations are quite meh imho

Architecture sets are already extremely expensive for the end result (in size) you get because they're based in tons of 1x1 bricks, plates and tiles. What you're asking for would result in 300€+ sets.

The size of the Architecture sets is fine. I am even fine with it being tons of smaller pieces. It is the piece count on many of them that bothers me. Space needle is 57 pieces for $19.99. Huh? Even at $9.99 it would be a high price per brick, but it would be a little more tolerable.

jpatez34

Neo Member
I've got the eagle too, so poseable and so useful in many sets (LotR, Medieval, Nature...) that you feel embarassed to have spent only 9€/$ for it.

What's your thought on the Mech? I don't understand what they were trying to do with it, both three creations are quite meh imho

The mech has a look which I kinda like, plus the Green stands out.

The size of the Architecture sets is fine. I am even fine with it being tons of smaller pieces. It is the piece count on many of them that bothers me. Space needle is 57 pieces for $19.99. Huh? Even at $9.99 it would be a high price per brick, but it would be a little more tolerable.

I have a feeling that at the lower price counts packaging and distribution take up a larger chunk of the cost. For sets like Gandalf Arrives (which will sell millions) they can afford to have smaller margins and the cost of the initial setup for the set is spread over a larger sales volume. Maybe the sales of the Architecture series doesn't allow them that benefit.

I have a feeling that at the lower price counts packaging and distribution take up a larger chunk of the cost. For sets like Gandalf Arrives (which will sell millions) they can afford to have smaller margins and the cost of the initial setup for the set is spread over a larger sales volume. Maybe the sales of the Architecture series doesn't allow them that benefit.

I think it is an impulse thing. Parents see these cool buildings they recognize and want a quick gift. They grab the building they like (even if the set is lame. I am looking at you Sears Tower and Empire State Building) and buy it, never realizing that it is not that great a deal piece count wise.
However, once you hit the White House set and up in piece count, it becomes rather fairly priced, and the sets look cooler too.

And for all the flack I give Space Needle for the price and piece count, it is really cool once done.

Pet Shop was a really fun build. I loved the building design. My wife thinks we need one more modular before Palace Cinema. Where would you guys rank the Grand Emporium with the other modulars?

Pet Shop was a really fun build. I loved the building design. My wife thinks we need one more modular before Palace Cinema. Where would you guys rank the Grand Emporium with the other modulars?

Best looking exterior. Most boring interior. Except the first floor. First floor interior is cool.
You did get Fire Brigade already, correct?

No Fire Brigade. I feel like it's too similar looking to Town Hall and I would like two corner buildings. Am I crazy?

Kind of. But get Fire Brigade quick. It will disappear soon (I am running that point into the ground, lol) and is oh so good. Then get Grand Emporium after. Of them all, I would say Town Hall last. Not just because it is the newest one, but it is the most bland to build.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No Fire Brigade. I feel like it's too similar looking to Town Hall and I would like two corner buildings. Am I crazy?

I haven't bought Town Hall yet because it looks too similar to Fire Brigade and generally a little dull (relative term). But definitely get Fire Brigade

Kind of. But get Fire Brigade quick. It will disappear soon (I am running that point into the ground, lol) and is oh so good. Then get Grand Emporium after. Of them all, I would say Town Hall last. Not just because it is the newest one, but it is the most bland to build.

I haven't bought Town Hall yet because it looks too similar to Fire Brigade and generally a little dull (relative term). But definitely get Fire Brigade

Alright I'll consider Fire Brigade. I already have Town Hall. I really liked it, but it was my first modular.

Got my fourth shipment of minifig parts and suddenly I have 12 completed figures waiting for paint and detailing. Gonna be busy...

I gotta say though, there sure aren't many non-yellow or flesh faces to choose from. I'll be painting some from scratch

gotta chime in here on the eagle set, i got it as well, for that price it's a STEAL!

However, the mech, as far as i am concerned does look like a Transformers lookalike contest reject, though i suppose some pieces are nice... anyone know off the top of their head, the piece counts for both these sets? Mech IS twice as much as Eagle as far as price is concerned...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought the haunted house was as good or better than any of the modulars. I'm thinking of converting it somehow actually.

hasn't anyone done this yet? Although I might just build it across the street from the rest of the modulars. Should work well as the classic 'spooky house on the block'

first time I've seen that, thanks.

Bit disappointing. Ground floor is ok but the auditorium is too small as mentioned before. And why the stairs to the roof when there doesn't seem to be anything that interesting on the roof?

hasn't anyone done this yet? Although I might just build it across the street from the rest of the modulars. Should work well as the classic 'spooky house on the block'

This guy made a great stand alone, which I would base my version on, but he used 2 haunted Houses and it's not a modular since it cannot click onto the existing line. Still, hats off to his creation. I love the gate in the front.

8013920108_c327e9f2ed_b.jpg

Bit disappointing. Ground floor is ok but the auditorium is too small as mentioned before. And why the stairs to the roof when there doesn't seem to be anything that interesting on the roof?

It is Astrid and an intern doing the design. I am not shocked after Town Hall. They should get the guy who made Haunted House to do the next modular. He would make a beastly one.

Also, here is a great article about the perceived rising cost of LEGO over the years.
Good article and very insightful.

Mmmmmmm

Anyway I put together that Ultimate Spiderman set with Nick Fury and I really love how the bike and the car can covert to hover mode, it's pretty slick how they do that and now I would love to make a vehicle with that!

jpatez34

Neo Member
We anticipate having shop-at-home apps for Android and iOS very soon.

The above quote is from a LEGO reply email I received over the weekend. It means that soon we will have a official S@H app for mobile devices! I personally can't wait.

iuuk

Also sort of speaking of the Architecture series, does anyone know what is going on with Sungnyemun? It is sold out (not temporary) on the European Lego website, and hardly any webshop still has it in stock. Since this is a 2012 set and the architecture series has only one more retired set as of yet I find this really strange.

Also sort of speaking of the Architecture series, does anyone know what is going on with Sungnyemun? It is sold out (not temporary) on the European Lego website, and hardly any webshop still has it in stock. Since this is a 2012 set and the architecture series has only one more retired set as of yet I find this really strange.

It is in stock at toysrus.com in the US. They now offer international shipping as well, so maybe you could take a look at that?

iuuk

It is in stock at toysrus.com in the US. They now offer international shipping as well, so maybe you could take a look at that?
Thanks, but I don't think this is possible for LEGO, seeing their price policy. I did find one (just one...) on a different website though. Since this was the only one I've been able to find in my country I was wondering if they just had a very low production run.

Hit my local store again today (while in the mall for something else). They had two tables of dented boxes marked down 20%. There was this one guy, grabbed one of everything as it came out. Was pretty funny. Guy actually asked what else they were bringing out.

They had the Vampyre Castle for $80, but the Mrs. gave me the "You just got Arkham Asylum for your birthday...". I decided not to push it and passed. But it was really hard.

The Palace Cinema designer video is up, but so far it is on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=680484152731&set=vb.207089142656976&type=3&theater

No answers on the sticker question...

Looking closely in the video it appears the posters may just be cardboard cut-outs. The poster with Astrid's (mmm....Astrid) and Jordan's names seems skewed and not flat on the window.

I think it would be great if they used cardboard cutout for windows so people can print out and put their own posters easily. Also, the posters seem too big or complicated to be printed on a brick/window. It would add to cost IMO.

We had a pajama day today since everyone had the day off in my home. I surprised my girls this morning by setting up all of the modulars and haunted house and then let them each choose 10 figures and 2 vehicles to play. Usually, the modulars are for show and they "check out" Lego sets one or two at a time and check them back in when they are finished so I can reassemble anything they broke during play. It helps keep everything in good shape and teaches them to be careful with their stuff. They have been playing for the past 6 hours straight!

20F06D2F-3914-4433-ADAB-4C7C9820C3A2-3323-00000787FD829FB0.jpg

BF0C4494-0610-4ADE-A90C-3834D64589BC-3323-0000078811FF75A3.jpg

On the downside, I just took my first real look at my other Lego sets since my move a month ago and sadly it appears virtually none of them made the transition in one piece. Many of them are complete rebuilds. My wife just said "Pick a set and we'll start building!". There are like, 50+ sets in there including some pretty large sets. Obviously, the modulars are my main concern and they were moved with care one night early on. The other sets were not nearly as important to me to keep in mint condition, but I didn't expect full on disintegration either!

Finally got my account authorised yesterday, so I can finally post in this awesome thread!
Thought I would share a few pics of my collection.

The new Mech Creator set
20130121104345.jpg

I have been a long time follower too and finally can post.

That eagle creator is so cool, it flew out of the store with me.

Those Creator Mechs also look cool and have me wondering if they're LEGO's response to Kre-o Transformers.

Fantomex

I have been a long time follower too and finally can post.

That eagle creator is so cool, it flew out of the store with me.

Those Creator Mechs also look cool and have me wondering if they're LEGO's response to Kre-o Transformers.

Welcome. That mech set is indeed awesome.

wetwired

This guy made a great stand alone, which I would base my version on, but he used 2 haunted Houses and it's not a modular since it cannot click onto the existing line. Still, hats off to his creation. I love the gate in the front.

8013920108_c327e9f2ed_b.jpg
I plan on doing one when mine arrives. After I've built the original though. I want to keep mine decrepid though. I want a larger front yard all overgrown with vines creeping up the sides.

I'm thinking since it'll be for a display ill ignore the back completely to give me more pieces for the front. It'll be flush against buildings on either side so it shouldn't matter too much.

ghostmind

The London Toy Fair show starts tomorrow, which means we are going to start getting reports on the summer sets. However, we won't be getting pictures and footage until the NY Toy Fair in just under 3 weeks.

You never know though...

Such a cute photo :)

Also
stealth gaems! You really like your DS, do you :D

Thanks!

Those are all 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU games. I'm not big on handheld gaming. You probably see the WiiU controller in the foreground and thought it was a DS XL or something? I'm currently trying to figure out a storage solution for the games as well as a display solution for the modular city I'm slowly building.

After watching the Cinema video, I too am disappointed. I wasn't probably in the market for it, but doesn't seem to be much to it. But maybe I am missing the point.

Also finally finished the Winter Cottage tonight. All set for next Christmas!

Top Bottom