• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Marvel's Avengers getting free exclusive DLC on PS3 and PS4

Stanng243

LEGO Marvel’s Avengers is getting some free DLC content exclusively for all PS4 and PS3 players. What’s even more awesome is that this content is based on the brilliant Marvel’s Ant-Man movie and also one of my most anticipated films of 2016, Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War.

Well, first up we have the Captain America: Civil War Character Pack, which will be available at launch on January 26th and includes nine characters — yes, nine characters — featured in the upcoming movie: Captain America, Iron Man (Mark 46 armor), Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Falcon, War Machine, Scarlet Witch and my personal favorites, Crossbones and Agent 13.

The second is the Ant-Man Character & Level Pack, of course based on the Ant-Man movie, which will be available later this spring. This pack features an awesome level based on a section of the film. It also has eleven great characters, including Ant-Man (Scott Lang), Ant-Man (Hank Pym), Ant-Thony (Flying Ant), Cassie Lang, Darren Cross, Scott Lang, Hank Pym, Hope Van Dyne, Luis, The Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), and Yellowjacket.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...ers-getting-free-dlc-exclusively-for-ps4-ps3/

So 20 free characters and 1 level is a nice free bonus.

Kitoro

Will this be the Lego game that finally is less antiquated than all of it's predecessors which barely changed since Lego Star Wars I?

fernoca

Really don't like exclusive DLC in the first place, but it's especially crass with stuff aimed at kids.
Like with Disney Infinity, they seem to be getting on deals with them, to try and get some of the "younger audience".

It hasn't worked as much it seems, as sales still go to the Xbox 360 and Nintendo hardware mostly; but the intention is there and a few sales more is a few sales more.

Now, the wording kinda makes it seems as it is free on PS4 and PS3, but could be paid on Xbox 360 and One. Will see.

Is still a nice additional content.

Xav

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes was the first LEGO game I played since the original Star Wars one on PS2. I really enjoyed it and am now looking forward to LEGO Marvel's Avengers.

I will be picking it up for the PS4 of course as it's my system of choice for 3rd party games... but FUCK DLC exclusive.

Sony and Microsoft's stupid battle for exclusive content is just hurting the fans.

RulkezX

Is this just a Civil War skin / alt costume for Captain America etc or are they really making some of the most popular characters exclusive?

Vitacat

Interesting. This game is on my radar. Not sure which version to buy yet (have PS4 and XB1, and prefer XB1 controls), but I do love me some Ant Man.

Elandyll

Banned
Makes me wonder if my theory about what happened in 2013/ 2014 between Sony and Disney wouldn't happen to be reality...

RulkezX

So yeah it's just alt versions of them.

Cap isn't locked to PS platforms ( for example there were about 7 versions of Iron Man in the first game)

Is solo not great but almost every platform had exclusive characters or skins in the last one as well.

Elandyll

Banned
I'd like to hear this.

I'll pick this up for the daughter and goddaughters
I theorized (emphasis on theory) a while ago that the negociations between Sony and Disney/ Marvel to get SpiderMan to appear in the MCU were done at a very high level, and that Sony leveraged their IP ownership in movies in order to get preferential treatment for videogame content.

Evidence: Battlefront, Disney Infinity 3.0, and now the Lego Marvel Avengers (not counting the previously LucasArts ownep IPs like DotT which seem to have PS preference as well, but I do not know the state of IP ownership between Lucasfilm and Tim Schafer in those cases).
Edit: in this case as well, the good relations between WBI and Sony can't hurt either

I theorized (emphasis on theory) a while ago that the negociations between Sony and Disney/ Marvel to get SpiderMan to appear in the MCU were done at a very high level, and that Sony leveraged their IP ownership in movies in order to get preferential treatment for videogame content.

Evidence: Battlefront, Disney Infinity 3.0, and now the Lego Marvel Avengers (not counting the previously LucasArts ownep IPs like DotT which seem to have PS preference as well, but I do not know the state of IP ownership between Lucasfilm and Tim Schafer in those cases).
Edit: in this case as well, the good relations between WBI and Sony can't hurt either

Pretty sure it's less to do with that and more to do with the fact that VP of third party relations at Sony and VP of Production on Disney Infinity are best friends.

Rymuth

I recall reading somewhere that Adam Boyes is friends with some high-level guy at Disney.

RulkezX

So what is it now, 20 free characters and 40 more in the season pass? Plus 100+ in the base game?

A lot are and will be duplicates though.

Every version will have Cpt America, but the PS4/3 is getting the Civil War variant as well ( for example in the first there was Avengers Cap, WW2 cap etc). A lot of the exclusive content will be different versions of existing base game characters.

mreddie

A lot are and will be duplicates though.

Every version will have Cpt America, but the PS4/3 is getting the Civil War variant as well ( for example in the first there was Avengers Cap, WW2 cap etc). A lot of the exclusive content will be different versions of existing base game characters.

There's 5 Caps and 12 Iron Men in this.

Past

Don't the Lego games sell worse on PlayStation according to NPD numbers? Why does WB keep making exclusive deals with Sony?

Elandyll

Banned
Homie got connections.
Connections help to get things going, certainly, but let's be serious... the deals involved span across multiple games, multiple publishers, and are probably worth millions of dollars in marketing money alone.

"He's my best buddy who happens to work on Infinity" isn't the all encompassing explanation here imo.

Was planning to get the Xbox One version to play with my girlfriend (as she has a LIVE account)... and they just lost my sale.

I'm tired of this exclusive garbage on third party games (whichever way it goes).

Will be picking up second-hand on Kijiji now. Can't support this.

Things like Marvel and Star Wars should not have this sort of bullshit. Nor should fucking kids games.

I don't even get this either. Is this really going to change much? It's not like Destiny or CoD where there is a significant impact.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Things like Marvel and Star Wars should not have this sort of bullshit. Nor should fucking kids games.

I don't even get this either. Is this really going to change much? It's not like Destiny or CoD where there is a significant impact.

Everyday I get parents wondering which next gen console would be good for their family. Things like this help.

Top Bottom