• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Marvel's Avengers getting free exclusive DLC on PS3 and PS4

RedStep

Everyday I get parents wondering which next gen console would be good for their family. Things like this help.

Things like this don't help shit. Children shouldn't be targets in this nonsense.

Do you also think that Minecraft being Xbox-exclusive going forward would help you in those conversations, or would that move be punishing a large group of children to help a multi-billion-dollar corporation make a little bit more cash?

Neoxon

Hopefully Sony uses their friendship with Disney & Marvel to their advantage to help out a certain someone with the licensing fee.
*cough*Capcom*cough*

Elandyll

Banned
Things like this don't help shit. Children shouldn't be targets in this nonsense.

Do you also think that Minecraft being Xbox-exclusive going forward would help you in those conversations?
Who is it supposed to help though?

Obviously not the consumer, but I don't think that's what he meant.

He probably meant it helps Sony push the family in question make the choice favoring them. And yes, it does have an impact, specially with the tv ads that'll probably follow.

Wish Sony bought the Netflix versions of Daredevil/Jessica Jones instead, so annoying that they're in the game but as non MCU versions.

I don't think people without Playstation should worry.

I found this article pre-launch of LEGO Batman 3 saying the Batman of the Future pack (that included Batman Beyond stuff and a few others) would be Playstation Exclusive, but then just a few months after launch it was released as paid DLC for the other platforms.

Here's the exclusivity announcement:http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014...station-exclusive-batman-future-dlc-detailed/

And the announcement that it's coming to other consoles:http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/12/1...pack-revealed-for-lego-batman-3-beyond-gotham

(Only 3 months between "exclusivity" being announced and it coming to other platforms)

The character pack dlc was only $2 so it's not bad as far as DLC goes, but I'm sure the Ant Man level will probably be a little more expensive.

I don't think people without Playstation should worry.

I found this article pre-launch of LEGO Batman 3 saying the Batman of the Future pack (that included Batman Beyond stuff and a few others) would be Playstation Exclusive, but then just a few months after launch it was released as paid DLC for the other platforms.

Here's the exclusivity announcement:http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014...station-exclusive-batman-future-dlc-detailed/

And the announcement that it's coming to other consoles:http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/12/1...pack-revealed-for-lego-batman-3-beyond-gotham

(Only 3 months between "exclusivity" being announced and it coming to other platforms)

The character pack dlc was only $2 so it's not bad as far as DLC goes, but I'm sure the Ant Man level will probably be a little more expensive.

If the post-launch DLC levels from LEGO Batman 3 are anything to go by... there's really nothing to miss here for Xbox fans.

Will this DLC actually come out or is this just bullshit like the 3rd Hobbit movie free DLC that never came out and people were stuck with 2/3 of a game?

Will this DLC actually come out or is this just bullshit like the 3rd Hobbit movie free DLC that never came out and people were stuck with 2/3 of a game?

I held off selling/trading the game when it had value on the promise of the DLC. With the volume of releases they churn out, it's a bit surprising. I guess the game didn't sell well.

Neoxon

So disappointing you get a great Marvel comic Lego game, then the sequel is a shitty movie Marvel game.
They didn't have much of a choice. All Marvel games made after Contest of Champions are banned from using X-Men & Fantastic Four characters (sans Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch on a case-by-case basis). It's likely that Traveller's Tales went the MCU route as a work-around due to the ban. It's unfortunate, but that's just how Marvel licenses work these days.

Fantomex

I know! Let's provide characters that were already going to be in the game, and act like they're free DLC!

You're a Genius!

I theorized (emphasis on theory) a while ago that the negociations between Sony and Disney/ Marvel to get SpiderMan to appear in the MCU were done at a very high level, and that Sony leveraged their IP ownership in movies in order to get preferential treatment for videogame content.

Evidence: Battlefront, Disney Infinity 3.0, and now the Lego Marvel Avengers (not counting the previously LucasArts ownep IPs like DotT which seem to have PS preference as well, but I do not know the state of IP ownership between Lucasfilm and Tim Schafer in those cases).
Edit: in this case as well, the good relations between WBI and Sony can't hurt either
Sony and Disney do seem to have a pretty healthy relationship these days. To most everyone's benefit, I'd say. Good stuff is coming out of this partnership.

Neoxon

Kinda sucks Ant-Man isn't in the base game. Also, no Dr. Strange, Spidey, or Zemo?
Not sure about Strange or Zemo, but I always thought that Civil War Spidey was meant to be a surprise reveal saved for the next big trailer for the film (seeing as Spidey's CGI is still being worked on).

Sony and Disney do seem to have a pretty healthy relationship these days. To most everyone's benefit, I'd say. Good stuff is coming out of this partnership.

Such as...?

All I've seen is exclusive marketing partnerships that don't actually affect/enhance the product.

This is pretty shitty but doesn't stop me getting the PC version for £18 at launch instead of the £40 PS4 version.

It sucks how you can't utilize GCU sales from Best Buy over there. I always save close to 20 dollars on new physical releases. And now amazon has 20 percent off all physical games for prime members.

I can't think of a last time I spent full price on a new released game on ps4.

pHand

The wording of the PS Blog post says, "LEGO Marvel’s Avengers Getting Free DLC Exclusively for PS4, PS3." My guess is that it just means only PS players will get it free; everyone else will have to pay for it.

Interestingly, the blog also mentions they'll be adding content from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Hopefully that also means the Netflix characters are also on the table.

Neoxon

The wording of the PS Blog post says, "LEGO Marvel’s Avengers Getting Free DLC Exclusively for PS4, PS3." My guess is that it just means only PS players will get it free; everyone else will have to pay for it.

Interestingly, the blog also mentions they'll be adding content from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Hopefully that also means the Netflix characters are also on the table.
I wouldn't count on it. The Netflix shows are meant for mature audiences, & this is a kids' game.

Drayco21

At NYCC, they mentioned that they can't use the Netflix versions of the characters because of ratings and such. The comic versions of Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are all in the game though.

Wasp

In terms of characters this seems like it will be a bit of a step back compared to Lego Marvel. This game has characters from Iron Man, Captain America and Thor whereas the previous game had the above in addiction to X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

Wereroku

Do you also think that Minecraft being Xbox-exclusive going forward would help you in those conversations, or would that move be punishing a large group of children to help a multi-billion-dollar corporation make a little bit more cash?
To be fair in the case of Minecraft most of the dlc is exclusive to Xbox.

In terms of characters this seems like it will be a bit of a step back compared to Lego Marvel. This game has characters from Iron Man, Captain America and Thor whereas the previous game had the above in addiction to X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.
Guardians are probably dlc parsons knows the fans want them
I still think Spider-Man will be added later

Neoxon

Traveller's Tales lost access to the X-Men & the Fantastic Four as a result of the ban put into place by Marvel, so it's not like they had a choice there. As for Spider-Man & the Guardians, I'm surprised that they weren't added, yet. I'm sure they'll be DLC at some point.

tw9KxT3.jpg

Game is supposed to have over 200 characters not counting dlc
Here's a partial grid from an earlier build

Top Bottom