• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Marvel's Avengers getting free exclusive DLC on PS3 and PS4

Not the only one.

82q94j.gif
Forgot about her and Goliath

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
They didn't have much of a choice. All Marvel games made after Contest of Champions are banned from using X-Men & Fantastic Four characters (sans Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch on a case-by-case basis). It's likely that Traveller's Tales went the MCU route as a work-around due to the ban. It's unfortunate, but that's just how Marvel licenses work these days.
It sucks I can't stand the MCU. It makes a mockery of what heroes really are and what comics are. Now everyone sees heroes as the people that blow up buildings and risk civilian lives to beat villains and are these action fest. The comics are anything but action and show more of the human side, plus have a lot cooler events and better well paced stories.

The licensing crap is why we will never have a proper marvel game again.

Very excited for this. My kids and I love playing the last Lego Marvel game, Does anyone know if NYC is just a copied version of the last game, or is it all new (more buildings, etc)?

The dlc part sucks though.

mreddie

Very excited for this. My kids and I love playing the last Lego Marvel game, Does anyone know if NYC is just a copied version of the last game, or is it all new (more buildings, etc)?

The dlc part sucks though.

Some of it does look like a copy and paste job with some buildings removed and some added.

TheGentleman

Neo Member
Looking forward to this game although I hope the characters have more variety than the previous LEGO batman's "additional 80+ roster"
not to mention I hope the DLC doesn't make some later characters that are hard to obtain a bit redundant due to already having a version of them ie Ant-man.

One concern I have is that the NYC hub does seem to be a bit too similar to their previous model despite the additional races and the like being added.

RedStep

To be fair in the case of Minecraft most of the dlc is exclusive to Xbox.

Not really - if this article is correct, pretty much every Minecraft pack since the PS3 version launched in December 2013 has been on Sony systems as well. There have been some MS-specific packs like Halo, but we also just had a Sony-exclusive LittleBigPlanet pack in July of this year. That seems pretty fair and a platform owner producing exclusive content for another platform is pretty much unheard of in this industry.

That's not to say MS are saints (I don't agree with the Tomb Raider exclusivity either), but Sony has gone ham this gen on "you pay the same price but get a little less!" deals. They don't need the sales, which makes it even worse.

I don't care much about an extra 15 minutes in Arkham Knight or whatever, but Ant-Man was the most recent MCU movie and targeted at kids. This just feels scummy all around. And I say that as a multi-console owner - just buying it on PS4 doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

Usually get mad at this kind of shit since I prefer to game on my Xbox one, but I can live without these characters. Now if this was story DLC for Civil War or Ant-Man I'd bite and get this for my PS4.

I usually 100% these games before they release character packs so I never got any for Lego Marvel (which was fantastic!).

I am stoked to get my mini figure of the Silver Centurion armor Iron Man though.

netguy503

Usually get mad at this kind of shit since I prefer to game on my Xbox one, but I can live without these characters. Now if this was story DLC for Civil War or Ant-Man I'd bite and get this for my PS4.

I usually 100% these games before they release character packs so I never got any for Lego Marvel (which was fantastic!).

I am stoked to get my mini figure of the Silver Centurion armor Iron Man though.

Isn't the new level based on the Ant Man movie and ps4 exclusive?

Hasney

Like with Disney Infinity, they seem to be getting on deals with them, to try and get some of the "younger audience".

It hasn't worked as much it seems, as sales still go to the Xbox 360 and Nintendo hardware mostly; but the intention is there and a few sales more is a few sales more.

I think it's more of a long game as younger children probably don't have access to the latest consoles unless the parent already owns one, but when they're cheap enough to upgrade, they'll have the PS4 positioned as the place for these games as long as they can get the word out.

Zelias

Banned
This is pretty shitty but doesn't stop me getting the PC version for £18 at launch instead of the £40 PS4 version.
Pretty much, yeah.

Need to finish the previous game anyway. Also Lego Batman. I have the full trilogy on Steam but is there any point to playing 1/2 or should I just jump straight into 3?

I just an e-newsletter from Playstation. This DLC is all-timed exclusive.

Not sure how to add images here, but this is what the fine print says:

*Marvel's Captain America: Civil War playable 1/26/16, exclusive through 4/26/16. Marvel's Ant-Man playable 4/15/16, exclusive through 7/5/16.

Sorry fellow Xbox players... we'll have to wait 3 months to play this super underwhelming and short add-on!

El_Cinefilo

http://youtu.be/w6UeEErW-ts
Game is gonna have open word New York and random crimes even after completing the game

All this plus a 200 character roster? Why oh why did I ever buy LEGO Dimensions.

Pretty much, yeah.

Need to finish the previous game anyway. Also Lego Batman. I have the full trilogy on Steam but is there any point to playing 1/2 or should I just jump straight into 3?

Personally I preferred 2 over 3. I enjoyed the open world Gotham more than the small Lantern planets in 3.

If anybody's been keeping up, they've hinted the Guardians won't be showing up in this one. My guess being that they're prepping a Lego Guardians for next year... if they can make a roster out of the Jurrasic World characters, Guardians 1+2 shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Alo0oy

Banned
Like with Disney Infinity, they seem to be getting on deals with them, to try and get some of the "younger audience".

It hasn't worked as much it seems, as sales still go to the Xbox 360 and Nintendo hardware mostly; but the intention is there and a few sales more is a few sales more.

I'm pretty sure this is aimed at more than just one third of the market (aka everywhere outside the US and UK).

Neoxon

If anybody's been keeping up, they've hinted the Guardians won't be showing up in this one. My guess being that they're prepping a Lego Guardians for next year... if they can make a roster out of the Jurrasic World characters, Guardians 1+2 shouldn't be much of a stretch.
So an entire game dedicated to the cosmic side of Marvel? I'd be down for that.

Slayven

200 guardian related characters? I could fill that out in my sleep

This makes me sad I was hoping they'd be dlc :(
Especially since manthis and thanos have been confirmed

TimFL

So an entire game dedicated to the cosmic side of Marvel? I'd be down for that.

The Batman 3 game with the planets was cringeworthy though. I hope they figure something out to have bigger, proper hub worlds if they really go for a GOTG game.

Also.. where's ma Spidey at? Not even a classic/comic Spidey in the roster pic?!

I hope the MCU Spidey is a yet to be revealed DLC. I mean they finally added "wall crawling" mechanics for some heroes (Hulk can climb/jump up walls)... that practically begs for a playable Spidey!

I hope the other DLC they plan on releasing isn't just an AoS tie-in + classic comic stuff. If I were in charge I'd release 3-4 DLCs covering a few more Marvel movies (GOTG Pack, IM 1 & 2 Pack, Cap 1 pack and a proper Civil War pack releasing with/after the movie as to not spoil the hopefully beautiful appearance of the MCU Spidey).

Top Bottom