• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Vyer

WSJ has an interesting LEGO Movie article:

The film is computer-animated but made to look as if all the scenery is built out of real Lego pieces. Everything moves in a way that simulates the stop-motion films that thousands of Lego customers have created with their pieces and posted online.

"Any frame, if you stopped the movie, would be something you could recreate if you had a lot of money to buy a lot of Lego bricks," says co-director Christopher Miller.

Maybe just as interesting, if less candy-colored, is the story of how "The Lego Movie" came to be. Lego's pervasiveness is no secret: The company estimates that the world's children spend 5 billion hours a year playing with its toys and that, on average, every person on Earth owns 86 Lego bricks (many parents whose homes are littered with Lego pieces will acknowledge the allocation is wildly uneven.) The film, which opens Feb. 7 as the first Lego-related theatrical release, will show whether Lego can emerge from the shadow of Disney, DIS -0.83% Universal and Warner Bros. as a toy force in Hollywood.

Warner brought in co-directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who had made "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," to flesh out characters and a plot for the movie, which the studio is calling "family-friendly with an edge."

"Our fear going into it," Mr. Miller says, "was they were going to say, 'We wanna sell this toy and this toy. Kids love race cars, so we need to have a race car in the movie.' They never did anything like that. They said make the movie you want make. We'll make toys based on that."

Well I just got back from watching the LEGO movie, I am going to be as brief and non spoilery as possible since I think the less you know going in the better the experience.

First, forget what you know about the movie, or better, forget what you THINK you know about the movie, whoever has been putting those trailers has been trolling us, some lines are not in the movie at all while some are said in different scenes than the trailer's.
The movie is a labour of love, a love letter to LEGO fans carefully crafted with tons of details and tons of easter eggs and it looks gorgeous on the big screen.
Something that surprised me is that the movie gets dark a few times and by dark I mean darker than I thought for a lego LEGO movie and if I have to complain about something it would be that they jump from LEGO world to LEGO word too quickly leaving you wanting to see more of those awesome worlds.
Last thing I am going to say is regarding the plot I will spoiler tag it even if it's not a spoiler, but I'll play it safe.
There is a plot twist, and once it is revealed, it will hit many of you on a personal level

That is all, I will definitely see it again, I am pretty sure I missed a lot of easter eggs.

Well I just got back from watching the LEGO movie, I am going to be as brief and non spoilery as possible since I think the less you know going in the better the experience.

First, forget what you know about the movie, or better, forget what you THINK you know about the movie, whoever has been putting those trailers has been trolling us, some lines are not in the movie at all while some are said in different scenes than the trailer's.
The movie is a labour of love, a love letter to LEGO fans carefully crafted with tons of details and tons of easter eggs and it looks gorgeous on the big screen.
Something that surprised me is that the movie gets dark a few times and by dark I mean darker than I thought for a lego LEGO movie and if I have to complain about something it would be that they jump from LEGO world to LEGO word too quickly leaving you wanting to see more of those awesome worlds.
Last thing I am going to say is regarding the plot I will spoiler tag it even if it's not a spoiler, but I'll play it safe.
There is a plot twist, and once it is revealed, it will hit many of you on a personal level

That is all, I will definitely see it again, I am pretty sure I missed a lot of easter eggs.

Thanks for keeping it spoiler free. Do you think any of the parts are too scary for kids?

Scary as in the bears from Brave, incinerator from Toy Story, Malificent etc.

Thanks for keeping it spoiler free. Do you think any of the parts are too scary for kids?

When I was little, black and white footage of charlie chaplin scared me silly.

Predicting what will take a kid apart emotionally is not that easy.

Good question, I've watched Frozen and the LEGO movie with my 4 years old, and while he got a little scared/uncomfortable with the wolves scene and the snow monster scene in Frozen, non of that happened here, he enjoyed the movie from start to finish without being scared once, keep in mind that each kid is different so I really can't vouch for any other kid.

Chuck

Still without luck
Hey guys. So i'm in a bit of a money rut and was wondering if anyone would like to take one or both of the Lego employee gift sets off my hands for a bargin. I have the 2011 and 2012 ones. Both unopened and both brand new. If you're interested send me a PM. Looking to get rid of them soon.

Good question, I've watched Frozen and the LEGO movie with my 4 years old, and while he got a little scared/uncomfortable with the wolves scene and the snow monster scene in Frozen, non of that happened here, he enjoyed the movie from start to finish without being scared once, keep in mind that each kid is different so I really can't vouch for any other kid.

Awesome context thank you. My eldest is just getting past the "scary Disney scenes" phase at 7 years old. The wolves in Frozen were the first time she hasn't gotten scared at a scene like that.

Hopefully we will see the LEGO movie next weekend; cannot wait!

neonglow

Hey guys. So i'm in a bit of a money rut and was wondering if anyone would like to take one or both of the Lego employee gift sets off my hands for a bargin. I have the 2011 and 2012 ones. Both unopened and both brand new. If you're interested send me a PM. Looking to get rid of them soon.
I'm somewhat interested in both. PM sent.

Awesome context thank you. My eldest is just getting past the "scary Disney scenes" phase at 7 years old. The wolves in Frozen were the first time she hasn't gotten scared at a scene like that.

Hopefully we will see the LEGO movie next weekend; cannot wait!

No problem, you both gonna have a blast, can't wait for LEGO GAF's impressions since I am pretty sure you guys are going to catch way more things that surely missed.

Ponn

Banned
Thanks for review Omega, can't wait to see it, planning on the 10th. Hopefully my theater will still have some promo figs left. I like twists and movies not being exactly like trailers so i'm surprised.

Posted my MOC entry in the MOC thread. Will just drop one pic here for those not venturing to OT.

Wings, tail fin, mouth all move. Was trying to be serious at first trying to build Thundercracker but when it wasn't working out decided to just have fun.

Now for some reason I really want to build Benny's SPACESHIP!

Tuvoc

Batman is a bad guy isn't he?Working with President Business? It only makes sense so that Emmet and Wildstyle could be together in the end, right?

Image dump of a MOC I just finished:
62v6jLI.jpg

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate–this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."

Excellent work!

I wonder if this polybag will go quickly. I kinda want to build up my super secret police force. If it's $3.99 I'll bite, but not for $4.99.

LEGO-Movie-Super-Secret-Police-Enforcer-30282-Toysnbricks.jpg

http://toysnbricks.com/new-2014-polybags-at-toys-r-us-stores/

Batman is a bad guy isn't he?Working with President Business? It only makes sense so that Emmet and Wildstyle could be together in the end, right?

Haha, no more info from me, I can't comment on rumors or speculations, you'll thank me :)
Nah. My theory, and most of it gleamed just from the sets:
Unikitty Is bad. Felt that way from the first set reveals. She just looks evil. And then Biznis Kitty makes me think that is her getup after she reveals herself.

And as for another theory based on clips released:
we see or learn of actual people. We saw a band aid in one clip, so a lot of the movie might be in a kids imagination or something.

Martheron

Oh man, I've got to say. Not been really interested in the Lego movie stuff but thanks to PhoncipleBone's coupon I picked up Metalbeard. That guy is awesome! Now I really want his ship!

Oh man, I've got to say. Not been really interested in the Lego movie stuff but thanks to PhoncipleBone's coupon I picked up Metalbeard. That guy is awesome! Now I really want his ship!

Metalbeard is awesome. Glad you liked it.

The movie sets interest me greatly because of just how insane they all look. They look like a demented five year old dreamed them up, and I love it.

And people not wanting Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! need to fix that.

Draxal

Metalbeard is awesome. Glad you liked it.

The movie sets interest me greatly because of just how insane they all look. They look like a demented five year old dreamed them up, and I love it.

And people not wanting Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! need to fix that.

Secret Secret Secret Police is also a great subtheme for army builders.

The car, suv, dropship and polybag all look amazing.

neonglow

And as for another theory based on clips released:
we see or learn of actual people. We saw a band aid in one clip, so a lot of the movie might be in a kids imagination or something.

We've been seeing that since the first trailers.
Vitruvius' staff is actually the remains of a mostly eaten lolipop on a stick.

ghostmind

Secret Secret Secret Police is also a great subtheme for army builders.

The car, suv, dropship and polybag all look amazing.

I'm considering foregoing a traditional police force for my still-in-concept LEGO city, and instead using the robot SSP force (along with the Micro Managers) from the LEGO Movie. I would need to MOC up a Police Station, or I could slightly MOD set 7498 for that purpose.

Ryuuroden

First day of moving done. Went to Ikea got 2 shelving units, 4 tables, built them all. I moved over 9 24x18x18 large boxes of Lego plus all the unopened sets. I still have all the sets I haven't taken apart plus 2 more 24x18x18 boxes and my city in progress which will be moved over in parts and put on the 4 tables. Tomorrow I have a U-Haul for four hours to take over all my big stuff like bed, dresser, sofa, bookshelves, etc. After that I still have a ton of small stuff to bring over so I don't see myself being done this weekend. Will prolly carry over into the first 2-3 days of the week. Anyways, the LEGO room is turning out great. As always, I will probably outgrow it and need more space but 9'5'' x16'2" with a additional large closet will work for a time to come.

Ironmask

Good review Omega, now i know that i won't be disappointed as an AFOL, i can bring my 4 years old kid with me and enjoy the story without any spoiler. :)

ghostmind

http://youtu.be/lEUhPf54OoU

Chima Phoenix Temple and Ice Mammoth functionality

Well, that explains why the Temple set looked so empty without the Phoenix - it is the Temple! That thing is HUGE - far bigger than any of the Ninjago dragons by the look of it.

The Ice Mammoth is also a beast (pun) of a set - like the look of it with all those dark elements set off against the trans-blue.

I keep on wavering about getting into Chima - between the spiders, scorpions and these fall sets my resistance is weakening.

Marko723

Neo Member
Waiting on the Sea Cow to make it's appearance on-line at the LEGO website.

So far I have most of the LEGO Movie released sets.

ghostmind

yuVmNUp.jpg

Liking the trans-blue leg parts, and that elephant bigfig.

Speaking of bigfigs, I wish LEGO had gone with Alexandre Boudon's (designer of many of the CMF minifigs, and other concepts) original bigfig design. The figures would have been far more useful with movable legs, head, replaceable parts, and mounting points for other elements.

Dr2WBMw.jpg

Draxal

Well, that explains why the Temple set looked so empty without the Phoenix - it is the Temple! That thing is HUGE - far bigger than any of the Ninjago dragons by the look of it.

The Ice Mammoth is also a beast (pun) of a set - like the look of it with all those dark elements set off against the trans-blue.

I keep on wavering about getting into Chima - between the spiders, scorpions and these fall sets my resistance is weakening.

It's not fair that Phoenix Temple comes with a tiger ..., will wavering.

ghostmind

So the upcoming Sandcrawler, any news on it? It's not really a UCS? So only UCS we know probably coming is the Slave-1 in fall?

No, but it could be soon. Last year, the Red-5 X-wing was revealed on Feb. 15th, and the year before that R2-D2 was revealed on March 13th.

The imminent reveal of the Sea Cow may push the Sandcrawler reveal to March I am thinking.

Dat Phoenix Temple! Ice Mammoth looks a bit ugly IMO, but it has very nice play features.

You can always get some of the small sets for the spider and scorpions. I'm sold on those minifigs. The mammoth minifigs are ugly and thank goodness most of the other figs are rehashes with phoenix chi or something. I'll be able to resist those sets. Maxifig mammoth is ok.

Speaking of bigfigs, I wish LEGO had gone with Alexandre Boudon's (designer of many of the CMF minifigs, and other concepts) original bigfig design. The figures would have been far more useful with movable legs, head, replaceable parts, and mounting points for other elements.

Dr2WBMw.jpg

I didn't know there was other propose design, that would have been so much better. When I got back into LEGO last year, I always though the big figures look like Duplo toys more than mini-figs for LEGO. I am sure the main reason is probably cost, but this would have make the figures much more versatile and interchangeable.

I didn't know there was other propose design, that would have been so much better. When I got back into LEGO last year, I always though the big figures look like Duplo toys more than mini-figs for LEGO. I am sure the main reason is probably cost, but this would have make the figures much more versatile and interchangeable.

Cost-wise I would think that bigfig design is better. It would use the same mould for legs and heads. Well, maybe it may use more plastic and hence higher costs. Considering they are make larger minifig merchandise such as pens, lights, clocks, etc, you would have thought they went with this design. *shrug*

With 3D printing becoming cheaper, I'm sure we'll see that design come to life.

Reuse and creativity wise, having interchangeable heads and legs would be awesome. I think they would have to make the bigfig head larger.

I really like the sabretooth Chima figures. I never watched the show but I like having animal figures for a change over humans.

I feel like this year is when Lego finally gets it right with the Chima series. The base original sets still feel lacking in some way to me.

I really like the sabretooth Chima figures. I never watched the show but I like having animal figures for a change over humans.

I feel like this year is when Lego finally gets it right with the Chima series. The base original sets still feel lacking in some way to me.

Yes, sabretooth looks cool. I'm with you on the animal minifigs. I do wish some of them has simpler printing for reuse with other minifigs. I understand the details are to differentiate the characters, but they should make generic army builder packs.

Have the generic army figs with simple heads so they look like the CMF costume mascots which are highly reusable and more fun because of that.

Ponn

Banned
Amazon has Bad Cop Pursuit for 23.99, Metalbeards Duel 27.99, Super Cycle chase for 39.99 and Lord Business Evil Lair for 55.99.

I REALLY want that Evil Lair but I got Bad Cop a week ago and just ordered the Eiffel Tower set so i'm tapped.

Walked into my local Big W at the weekend and to my total surprise, in the LEGO aisle, I saw a bunch of the new 2014 sets!

Grabbed 75040 General Grievous' Wheel Bike. DAT Grievous minifig!

27KsgoB.jpg

Crappy phone pic. It's an incredible 'fig.

So many new SW minifigs to collect this year.

Yes, sabretooth looks cool. I'm with you on the animal minifigs. I do wish some of them has simpler printing for reuse with other minifigs. I understand the details are to differentiate the characters, but they should make generic army builder packs.

Have the generic army figs with simple heads so they look like the CMF costume mascots which are highly reusable and more fun because of that.

Yeah, army building Chima would be a dream.

I want more Wolf tribe honestly. I do want to get some insect sets though.

Ryuuroden

Oh god, now I am getting more and more interested in those Chima sets, if only because I see sooo much MOCing potential with those 2 sets that were shown. The one that most interests me is the mammoth. I do have to say that that toy reporter is annoying as fuck, really hard to watch his videos.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ack! Come on brickset I need you :p Site has been having issues for days. You're supposed to use new.brickset.com for the time being but it's being very slow and sometimes not loading.

So now I'm torn on if I should pick up some of those movie set at 20% off. I'm already planning a LEGO store trip Tues to get some SW stuff (and hopefully some polybags at TRU...)

Those Chima sets look like the best ever. Love those new translucent pieces they are using for the ice and fire. Not sure if I'll get either set, but I will most definitely pick up a few of the new assortment for the minifigs.

Jabba's Sail Barge - 31% off (cheaper than what I paid for it two weeks ago T__T) (edit: well, after tax it's about the same, chin up!)

Top Bottom