• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Asked the other day and no one bit, so I will ask again before posting it in the LEGO Movie thread. I have a BN member coupon for 20% off that expires Monday. If anyone wants it, PM me.

Rootbeer

Banned
Asked the other day and no one bit, so I will ask again before posting it in the LEGO Movie thread. I have a BN member coupon for 20% off that expires Monday. If anyone wants it, PM me.
I just signed up for a B&N paid membership a few days ago. How often do those coupons come? I won't be able to use your 20% off one but thanks anyway. But in the future I'm going to have to plan how best to use my own.

Only reason I did it was cause I was at the register with over $100 of stuff, so the instant 10% discount already paid for a big chunk of the membership. We'll see if I can get my money's worth for a year or not.

I just signed up for a B&N paid membership a few days ago. How often do those coupons come? I won't be able to use your 20% off one but thanks anyway. But in the future I'm going to have to plan how best to use my own.

Only reason I did it was cause I was at the register with over $100 of stuff, so the instant 10% discount already paid for a big chunk of the membership. We'll see if I can get my money's worth for a year or not.

The coupons show up in email every few weeks. Usually on Wed or Thurs. I used to get print coupons in the email, but haven't in some time.

And the membership is easy to pay off. I pay for most of it just though coffee purchases.

mrkgoo

Similar in some ways, different in others, they've used different techniques to get the same result for a few things (like the sides) while other parts are completely different.

A bigger pic...

New York Toy Fair Reveal by Brent Waller, on Flickr

I'm only finding some of this stuff as you guys are, looks like they have 2 faces each.

Oh man, I'm excited to somehow get a copy of this, but it's probably going to be out of my price range. The cuusoo sets tend to have a premium?

I imagine 'official' Lego models have to have a certain stability. They probably have internal rules and regulations, like any piece greater than 1x2 has to be held on by more than 1stud, or some other formula for how many studs need to be attached for size of the piece, certain illegal techniques can't be used etc.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, I know I'm buying at least 2 of those Ghostbusters sets. I'm so glad it turned out looking as good as it does. I would've hated for them to butcher it.

Brain exploding from all the LEGO news. Wallet sucked into a black hole!

Really liking the Mixels. Great parts; those eyes will be tremendously useful for more cute MOCs.

I'm also attracted to the Kre-o microfigures. LEGO should add arms too :)

I agree that Kre-o's microfigures have an appeal. It has Chibi/Super Deformed look as it's called in anime. I got them because the heads are full sized, LEGO did a similar style with their last employee xmas gift. LEGO needs to make a 1x1 plate with 2 clips.

I am eyeing those Kreo Dungeons and Dragons sets for minifig accessories...

4000013-1.jpg

Cool. Glad to see the 2 more turtles without special outfits. I'm not a fan of those special outfit prints. Raphael, Michelangelo, and Leonardo have the battle damage look.
Seems like plain Donatello is missing in wave 2.

I thought that was Lord Garmadon, but it's just a foot soldier. At least people can make a custom 4 arm Lord Garmadon if they want with that part.

Will get that set when it's 25-30% off.

Lego used to be awesome, but all these custom pieces is kinda missing the point.
Just my two cents, creeping back inside the hole where i came from.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Which custom pieces are you referring to? Items like Lord Business helmet and boots? Or are you referring the the newer pieces that have been coming out such as curves and bricks with brick textures?

I'm ok with new pieces that are reusable for multiple purposes. I understand the distaste for a lot of the less blocky pieces. I used to feel a bit the same way, but you don't have to use those pieces. They are necessary IMO. Plain bricks don't sell as well in theme sets.

So excited about this. Not happy about the hair, but completely expected with no new moulds rule. Sad about no Slimer too. Curious if that was a LEGO decision or the licensor not approving the young Jabba fig.

EDIT: Cyclops, Storm, and Wolverine OH MY! So excited they have those in those costumes. Bleh on Magneto design. Sentinel is decent enough. Making good use of those new ball joints.

Cantina set is a must get for me. Too many high priced OT Star Wars sets for me this year. Star Destroyer and AT-AT! 1, 2, or 3 AT-ATs....decisions..

Darn it, Walmart had the Lego Lone Ranger Constitution Train Chase for $50, ran over there and it looks like it's all sold out.

I check kcal flyers every couple of days to see when Lone Ranger stuff will finally be flushed out. My local TRU has a ton of the trains and I am waiting to pounce.

Actually to that point: Canadian TRUs have cut all Alien Conquest sets by 50%. Obviously a lot of stores rid themselves of that line ages ago, but I snagged the Mothership this morning for $29

It looks OK, but I never own the original so this will do nicely. Now I am going to want to pick up Super Star Destroyer. : /
ATAT seems small, and I think I rather prefer the original.

Video is a bit annoying to watch with the guy taking pictures as the video was rolling. Constant beeping of his camera and not to mention he stick his camera in front of the video.

The coupons show up in email every few weeks. Usually on Wed or Thurs. I used to get print coupons in the email, but haven't in some time.

And the membership is easy to pay off. I pay for most of it just though coffee purchases.

I am still annoy that I didn't get anything for the first few months because they deem my email address to be spam email. But for what I got it was well worth the money spend. So far I save over $150.00 easily from both books and LEGO. With the R2D2 I picked up during Christmas for 40% off easily paid for membership several years.

I am still kicking myself for not getting the Architecture Studio back before they put restriction on the coupon for that set.

There's some more pics of Marcos Bessa showing it off at Legoworld Copenhagen here showing the interior too.

Also I can confirm, NO STICKERS

I just want to come back in here and say that I have been looking at that high res pic of the Ghostbusters set all day long. I'm so excited, wetwired! I can't wait! Ghostbusters and Back to the Future were my entire 80s life and to have both as LEGO sets now is mind blowing.

leng jai

The Arctic theme looks fantastic.

The Sea Cow is going to be ridiculously expensive here, probably $350+. Going to have to pass until there's a price drop.

The X-Men set is a massive disappointment. Can't believe they crammed a sentinel and the Blackbird in one small set.

Posted in the Movie thread too but just to keep Unikitty happy I'm sharing.

Just came back from seeing The Lego Movie and thought it was fantastic.

Various bits;

Unikitty didn't really grab me from just the minifig but watching the movie really helped,
seeing her go ape shit on the micro managers
was one of the best parts of the movie. I had a tear in my eye from laughing so much.

Lord Business
and his real life version was ingenious. I didn't grow up with Lego being withheld like that but being an adult now some of the jokes we very pointed. Lost it when "the man upstairs" said the age range was just a suggestion.

Benny;
got excited every time he tried to build his Spaceship to the point where when he finally did it was fantastic.

Watched the movie in 3D and glad I did. There were no really points that it felt bad or pushed too hard to use but explosions and vistas worked very well.

Ending:
Duplo and girls are evil.

Similar in some ways, different in others, they've used different techniques to get the same result for a few things (like the sides) while other parts are completely different.

I'm only finding some of this stuff as you guys are, looks like they have 2 faces each.

Really like the look of this, guessing it will be about £50 due to 4 figures?

Ghost and Phantom docked together.
Hmmmm.... I was thinking it would dock with the cockpit facing the front but this is OK. Still going to get both.

Ryuuroden

The B-Wing is a terrific set. I've only built a few SW ships and it was my favorite.

How's the Sail Barge? I'll likely end up buying it during the May 4th promotion to round out the Palace/Pit & Skiff collection.

Yeah, I think its great, Its going to work perfectly in my display diorama.

I just watched the movie. Everything is indeed awesome. I was the only one there, but then again it was a special showing on 21.00 on a Sunday night. I went because I wanted to see it in English rather than Swedish, and to avoid the suspicious looks.

And now I want to buy everything. At least Unikitty. Damn.

Also, some hilarious cameos that flashed by. Tons of CMFs.
The Market Street house.
The Castle dragon.
Middle Zealand (lol)

There's a promotion that gives me 20% off anything Lego at a store if I turn in the movie ticket. However, I might not be able to make it there before it expires. Damn. They're expensive but they do have modulars and stuff.

Edit: It works online! Woot!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got the Metalbeard movie set and it's fantastic. Only negative is I wish they had included a long chain to get him looking just like the film. The other small differences can be easily fixed with pieces from the (like the front of the treasure chest).

Ryuuroden

So excited about this. Not happy about the hair, but completely expected with no new moulds rule. Sad about no Slimer too. Curious if that was a LEGO decision or the licensor not approving the young Jabba fig.

Yeah, so much news. I imagine that they could only do so much to make sure that the set could make the anniversary date and due to licencing they would of had to make a new mold for slimmer since obviously you can't use other licences molds that have trademarks. We know from various articles that making a new mold takes time and lots of money so they probably didn't have enough turn-around time to do all of that by June.

Ponn

Banned
Im staying far, far away from the money sink that is the Star Wars line but I may have to make an exception for the AT-AT.

Holy crap disgusted at that X-Men set. I mean im happy for the GoTG love but X-Men is a bit more iconic yet seems to be getting shat on. How do you not make a fucking sick ass old school SR-71 Blackbird as big as the Quinjet with X-Men bungie jumping out of it.

And I cant even start on the sentinel without getting an aneurysm. Lego, youve been killing it with the mechs. How, how do you screw this up, how?.

wetwired

The LEGO representative even asks him if he accidentally shot the movie sets.

haha yeah I heard that, dunno why they'd let people film so close to ones they don't want shown.

Truck looks cool enough, nothing we haven't seen before though. The turtles look like olive green instead of dark/normal, can't make out the rest.

Dragoshi1

Well, hit a snag with my Galactic Titan.

The 2nd Instruction Book is an absolute MESS. It goes from Step 23 to Step 28, and repeats steps 8-12 after that :/

I looked for the pdf for Book 2, but it crashes my itouch. And I don't have a large enough area to construct it and have my laptop out.

Is it possible to request a new book directly from LEGO?

Ryuuroden

Well, hit a snag with my Galactic Titan.

The 2nd Instruction Book is an absolute MESS. It goes from Step 23 to Step 28, and repeats steps 8-12 after that :/

I looked for the pdf for Book 2, but it crashes my itouch. And I don't have a large enough area to construct it and have my laptop out.

Is it possible to request a new book directly from LEGO?

Yeah, they have really good customer service, I am sure you can get a replacement easy, others in here know better how to go about it but I've heard nothing but good things about the company taking care of problems.

wetwired

This Creator set looks like a good set for a future LEGO MOC contest. The 3 models are really varied.

If I can manage to snag some free or cheap Ecto-1s I should sign one and offer it as a prize.

Or better yet, Come July we do an Ecto-1 Ghostbuster themed MOC contest and I offer it for that :p

Ryuuroden

If I can manage to snag some free or cheap Ecto-1s I should sign one and offer it as a prize.

Or better yet, Come July we do an Ecto-1 Ghostbuster themed MOC contest and I offer it for that :p

make a ghostbusters theme diorama on a 16x16 stud size plate as the contest.

Btw, you'll have to let us know what sort of things you get cause you got your project approved. Did they offer to fly you out to the toy show?

Ryuuroden

aww maaaan i gotta buy like my 5th snow speeder >.> cause one can finally fire/mount the grapple from the gun :/. DAMN YOU LEGO!

(I got more versions of snow speeders than any other Star Wars ship)

Top Bottom