• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

75048 The Phantom and 75053 The Ghost
Really impressed by what I have seen from Rebels so far. My favorite minifig in these two sets has to be Chopper, though I am curious to learn more about the rest of them. Some people are freaking out about the different Stormtrooper design, but I think it is supposed to reflect the McQuarrie design more, and I think having different designs between the two periods is a good thing, and a sign of progression. I've already voiced my thoughts on the ships - the Phantom is kind of plain, but as part of the larger Ghost it takes on new life. I REALLY like the design of the Ghost.

75049 Snowspeeder
Another Snowspeeder - the 6th I think? With some revamped design, and all new minfigs, this may be worth another purchase at $30. The general look is a bit darker, and I do like that they are using the new stud launcher gun as a means to fire the grappling hook out of the back.

75050 B-Wing
The third system-scale B-Wing, and definite step-up from the last one released in 2006. It doesn't fare so well compared to its UCS brother, but that isn't really a fair comparison anyway. I'll be picking this one up mainly for the minifigs, including the beautiful new B-Wing pilot and Airen Cracken, who you probably won't remember as a character mostly found in deleted scenes, helping to man the guns on the Millennium Falcon during the assault on the second Death Star.

75051 Jedi Scout Fighter
The fact that this is a Yoda Chronicles set has no bearing on my opinion of it - in fact JEK-14 is the least interesting minifig in this set. I absolutely LOVE this spaceship design - perhaps my favorite for SW 2014. Add to that an Ithorian minifig (remove the lightsaber and he'll look right at home in Mos Eisley) and a droid named RA-7, which bears the same end characters as 3B6-RA-7, the old protocol droid found on board the Sandcrawler in EP4.

75052 Mos Eisley Cantina
FINALLY - I have been waiting for a new Cantina set since my re-emergence into LEGO in 2011, and for me this does not dissapoint. A lot of great figures, including the new Dewback (which has me thinking of buying a second set). Yes, I wish they had included Wuher, Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba, but perhaps over time we might get those minifigs elsewhere.

75054 AT-AT
I already own two of the three existing AT-AT's, so this one isn't high on my list for this year, but it does look like a solid design, incorporating the new launchers, and showcasing the new Snowtrooper minifigs.

75055 Imperial Star Destroyer
Another set I have been waiting for. I've gone back-and-forth over the last couple years on whether I was going to purchase the 2006 ISD, but I really did not like its design - especially for the bridge. I'm glad I waited as this year's model, while smaller, looks much improved in design and stability, not to mention a bunch of new Imperial navy figures.

Why, yes. I will get the Snowspeeder, AT-AT, and Star Destroyer. The others are only if I see a crazy sale. But the three I listed are no questions asked purchases.

ghostmind

Did they reveal anything last year? I don't think LEGO attend last year show. (They were at Brickcon in Seattle.

I don't think so - last year they unveiled the UCS Red5 X-Wing at LEGO World 2013, but the 2014 event has already just happened, and apparently LEGO have given notice they intend to reveal something at Bricks Cascade this year.

N.Domixis

Banned
Is there any gaffer close to a lego store that cold get me a sealed micro manager monthly poly bag? I think they are free but I could pay. Just let me know what you would sell it for through pm.

The closest lego store to me is 80 miles away and I am not driving that to get one lego bag lol.

fUc41RV.jpg

75051 Jedi Scout Fighter
The fact that this is a Yoda Chronicles set has no bearing on my opinion of it - in fact JEK-14 is the least interesting minifig in this set. I absolutely LOVE this spaceship design - perhaps my favorite for SW 2014. Add to that an Ithorian minifig (remove the lightsaber and he'll look right at home in Mos Eisley) and a droid named RA-7, which bears the same end characters as 3B6-RA-7, the old protocol droid found on board the Sandcrawler in EP4.

LEGO is knocking it out of the park with the OT Star Wars stuff IMO.

The spaceship design is super cool and a great assortment of minifigs. I'm not into getting Star Wars sets, but they nailed it with a bunch of the most iconic OT sets so this year will be a bad year for my wallet.

mrkgoo

New star destroyer is incredible. How much will it be?

One of my all time favourite display models is the midi-scale model.

Ryuuroden

Well, finished the UCS B-Wing. I am totally surprised it didn't do better as it's really an amazing looking set. I really enjoyed it and now it can tower over everything with my Imperial Shuttle. Now I am all set up to start the Sea Cow tomorrow.

What's the MSRP of the Canitna? just mulling over what I need to have for when it hits.

New star destroyer is incredible. How much will it be?

One of my all time favourite display models is the midi-scale model.

All of the new Star Wars sets had MSRP in those pictures linked earlier.

Phantom - $24.99
Ghost - $89.99
B-Wing - $49.99
Snowspeeder - $29.99
Jedi Scout Fighter - $59.99
AT-AT - $109.99
Star Destroyer - $129.99
Advent Calendar - $39.99
Mos Eisley Cantina - $69.99

For me, I'd think about Ghost/Phantom depending on how much I like the show but I will more than likely get a B-Wing and Snowspeeder.

I was really hoping for a new TIE Intercepter or TIE Bomber that are more in line with that newish TIE Fighter. Rebels can't have all the new ships. Oh well. Maybe in the fall(?).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
All of the new Star Wars sets had MSRP in those pictures linked earlier.

Phantom - $24.99
Ghost - $89.99
B-Wing - $49.99
Snowspeeder - $29.99
Jedi Scout Fighter - $59.99
AT-AT - $109.99
Star Destroyer - $129.99
Advent Calendar - $39.99
Mos Eisley Cantina - $69.99

For me, I'd think about Ghost/Phantom depending on how much I like the show but I will more than likely get a B-Wing and Snowspeeder.

I was really hoping for a new TIE Intercepter or TIE Bomber that are more in line with that newish TIE Fighter. Rebels can't have all the new ships. Oh well. Maybe in the fall(?).

Wow, so they're not jacking up the Cantina due to figs. That's great. Must have heard complaints about Jabas Palace.

thanks on the prices :)

I really get the feeling that LEGO is pushing sets with larger minifigs in the sets where it has less impact on overall pricing. Just a feeling I have.

Is Lego considering the idea of more Old Republic sets? The ones they did were so well done that I would welcome more of them.

I only got the Sith Trooper army building set and have to say I wish they would do more. I dont play the games, but I love the designs more than anything outside of the original trilogy.

sharbhund

Similar in some ways, different in others, they've used different techniques to get the same result for a few things (like the sides) while other parts are completely different.

A bigger pic...

New York Toy Fair Reveal by Brent Waller, on Flickr

I'm only finding some of this stuff as you guys are, looks like they have 2 faces each.

Congrats on the Ecto-1 wetwired (and getting Bessa for the redesign)! I'm looking forward to buying it.

Did they reveal anything last year? I don't think LEGO attend last year show. (They were at Brickcon in Seattle.

Have you ever gone to Bricks Cascade? I was invited a few years ago by some of the guys that run it, but I've never been.

So LotR and Hobbit have bombed, right? My favorite themes are cursed. First monster fighters and now this :( I guess I need to bricklink a trillion bricks and make my own balrog, minas tirith, fell beast, Lorien.....

neonglow

I'll be picking up all the OT sets except for the Snowspeeder since I have several of those already. I'm unsure about the other Star Wars sets.

I am missing only a couple of LOTR sets to have them all. But missing most of the Hobbit sets. Might just get those last few LOTR sets just to be at 100% since I am this close. And it is the cheapest stuff too.

I am missing only a couple of LOTR sets to have them all. But missing most of the Hobbit sets. Might just get those last few LOTR sets just to be at 100% since I am this close. And it is the cheapest stuff too.

Hmm what is my collection looking like....

Missed moria
missed goblin king

haven't bought the hobbit hole.

haven't bought any of the recent 2 waves.

I guess panic-buying the old sets would be the next logical step if I want them all...

Hmm what is my collection looking like....

Missed moria
missed goblin king

haven't bought the hobbit hole.

haven't bought any of the recent 2 waves.

I guess panic-buying the old sets would be the next logical step if I want them all...

if you dont get all, make sure you get the hobbit hole... still my top set of 2013

From Unexpected Journey, the only sets I bought were Unexpected Gathering (tip top set!) and Mirkwood Spiders Attack. From Desolation of Smaug, all I got was the big Dol Guldur set. At this point I probably won't finish off the line, as there is far too much to hunt down, and some of it is already gone.

From LOTR I bought them all except for Wizard Battle and Council of Elrond. That one will be easy to finish off.

I still see most of the first wave of LOTR stuff around here. Including Helm's Deep.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't the sea cow VIP exclusive for two weeks in the UK?

This might be nitpicking for a 2700 piece set, but I would have liked them to include the tiny seacow that you see sailing away from cloud cuckoo land. Would only be an extra 10 bricks or so.

neonglow

With the success of the movie, I'm hoping we get more sets next year. I want that police twin rotor chopper during the Super Cycle chase scene.

Is Lego considering the idea of more Old Republic sets? The ones they did were so well done that I would welcome more of them.

thanks on the prices :)

I really get the feeling that LEGO is pushing sets with larger minifigs in the sets where it has less impact on overall pricing. Just a feeling I have.

I only got the Sith Trooper army building set and have to say I wish they would do more. I dont play the games, but I love the designs more than anything outside of the original trilogy.

My impression is Old Republic stuff may not be doing so well. The battle packs don't seem to be doing well (minifigs sell easily under $3 on Bricklink). Wonder how the larger space ship sets are doing. Jedi Defender-class Cruiser and Sith Fury-class Interceptor are cool looking sets and have cool minifigs.

Nice photos of The LEGO Movie second wave on FBTB.
http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/16/toy-fair-report-the-lego-movie/

Wyldstyle looks quite sexy in neo-classic space suit.

EDIT:

Great Star Wars photos too. Can anyone comment on the prints of Han Solo, Obi-Wan, and Luke? Are those new prints? Looks like it. Printing on legs and back.
http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/16/toy-fair-report-lego-star-wars/

Bit pricey for the X-Men set, but seeing close-ups of Cyclops, Storm, and Wolverine has me very excited. Perhaps it for the new Wolverine mask mould and Storms cloth cape. I'll see if I can hold off on this set until it's around $40 or less. Gonna be tough as I really want those 3 minifigs.

I'm happy with the minifigs. They look like classic 80's X-Men costumes to me. Sentinel is underwhelming, but captures the essence and looks like it will be fun to play with and pose thanks to the new ball joints. I'll need to find that cool sentinel MOC someone made and make that one.

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/16/toy-fair-report-76022-x-men-1/

EDIT:

Great Star Wars photos too. Can anyone comment on the prints of Han Solo, Obi-Wan, and Luke? Are those new prints? Looks like it. Printing on legs and back.
http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/16/toy-fair-report-lego-star-wars/

I'm getting the Spaceship^3 for sure. I need Benny and it won't hurt to get another space themed character.

Set of the forever!

SPACESHIP!
Snagged one. :)

Jesus. Well, if you are going to do something, might as well do it right.

Also, will FINALLY be going to see the movie tomorrow. Been trying to find someone else that wants to see it, so shall be hitting a matinee with a friend.

My impression is Old Republic stuff may not be doing so well. The battle packs don't seem to be doing well (minifigs sell easily under $3 on Bricklink). Wonder how the larger space ship sets are doing. Jedi Defender-class Cruiser and Sith Fury-class Interceptor are cool looking sets and have cool minifigs.

That's a shame, those two ships were some of the best Lego spaceships I've put together in years. I guess since they aren't from a film, people may not like them as much but still!

So I haven't bought any new Lego sets in a while due to budget problems, but really want this Sea Cow and absolutely cannot afford it now, or really even next month.

Then I remembered my new credit card has 0% APR for a whole year. $25 for 10 months sounds fairly reasonable, don't you think?

Sometimes I really wonder how I manage to keep my credit so good...

So I haven't bought any new Lego sets in a while due to budget problems, but really want this Sea Cow and absolutely cannot afford it now, or really even next month.

Then I remembered my new credit card has 0% APR for a whole year. $25 for 10 months sounds fairly reasonable, don't you think?

Sometimes I really wonder how I manage to keep my credit so good...

Not to be a buzzkill here, but buying LEGO on credit does not sound like a good idea to me.
It will be arround for a while yet it's not going to be sold out within a month.

Not to be a buzzkill here, but buying LEGO on credit does not sound like a good idea to me.
It will be arround for a while yet it's not going to be sold out within a month.

If I had to pay interest you'd be right, I avoid interest at all costs and so would absolutely not do that if it wasn't for the fact I just got this new card and have that 0% APR deal going for a year. When you're not paying interest and know you can pay it off before the deal runs out, there's really little reason not to take advantage of such offers. I understand traditional thought that credit cards are bad and evil, but when you understand how the rules work it's easy to avoid the bad sides while getting all the good.

...Financing where you end up having to pay $150 a month for a year or so is a different story. Never going to do that again, huge mistake that's exactly why I can't have nice things now without doing this. $25? Bit different.

If I had to pay interest you'd be right, I avoid interest at all costs and so would absolutely not do that if it wasn't for the fact I just got this new card and have that 0% APR deal going for a year. When you're not paying interest and know you can pay it off before the deal runs out, there's really little reason not to take advantage of such offers. I understand traditional thought that credit cards are bad and evil, but when you understand how the rules work it's easy to avoid the bad sides while getting all the good.

...Financing where you end up having to pay $150 a month for a year or so is a different story. Never going to do that again, huge mistake that's exactly why I can't have nice things now without doing this. $25? Bit different.

I completely understand, yet nevertheless I completely disagree. :p
The sum of small things quickly adds up to big things and being able to play 25 a month now does not mean you will be able to do so in 6 months.
But hej, I am not your mom, do what you please. :)

bovo

Watching the Lego Movie at weekend encouraged me to dig through my old Lego - I knew I was missing a large proportion of the pieces, but managed to cobble together half a galaxy commander (probably more like a quarter, as its only half of the front section!)

Ryuuroden

Interesting news, maybe its been posted, but for May 4th there will be an official Simpsons episode that will be entirely out of LEGO. So that is part of the May 4th celebration I guess....not sure how it relates to Star Wars but, still cool.

Here's the Link

Draxal

I'm pretty sure we're not going to get anymore, but I would like to see the Imperial Fighter once again.

Although, we haven't seen store exclusives yet.

I ordered my Sea Cow. I wish the expedited shipping wasn't so expensive. I went with the free shipping, but it is going to be a tough wait!

Dave_6

Thanks to this thread, I have the BTTF Delorean coming from Amazon! I grew up messing with Legos and this is the first set I've had/bought since I was a child (I'm 35 now). I helped my friend put together many of the sets his 6 year old son got for Christmas and I forgot how much I enjoy building these things!

Top Bottom