• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

robochimp

After building a bunch of movie sets and Lex's power armor with my son, I decided to treat myself and order the Millenium Falcon.

Amazon seemed to have a decent price at $114.

Marko723

Neo Member
$390 for the Sea Cow. Fuck me sideways.

Haha. Right there with you on that. Christ on a cracker.

Yeah,. $300 here in Canada, not a cheap set. I cashed in my Lego VIP points to absorb the hit. On the plus side they only charged me sales tax on the amount after deducting the points. I must have stared at the screen for 5 mins before confirming the purchase.... was hard to watch my VIP point balance drop to below 100. But now seeing the other Sea Cow purchases on here, I can't wait for it to arrive.

Just missing one set from the series ( released sets) #70802- Bad Cop's Pursuit. Hoping for a bit of a break before the other sets appear, my wallet needs recovery time.

Still have to see the movie. Plans are to take the kids this coming weekend.

Marko723

Neo Member
Jesus. Well, if you are going to do something, might as well do it right.

Something about it just calls out........ Was a little apprehensive at first, but now feels 'like a 'good purchase' and the 'waiting' for it to ship is starting to kick in.

Well... they had it built at the LEGO store. It is gorgeous in-person. Could not resist.

7PBc6By.jpg

Plus if Ghostmind purchased it, it has to be awesome!

The inset on Benny's helmet is driving the pedant in me crazy.

I agree. LEGO had a chance to remake the classic space helmet properly. I would have preferred a simulated printed crack. That crack looks nothing like the several I have of the original classic space minifigs.

I think this is foreshadowing a new Green Lantern minifigure. He's different from the Comic Con one.

I hope you are right. WANT! Sell a set with lots of green pieces with instructions for lots of different builds. LEGO is not one to waste effort on a design that won't be reused (granted is a very simple design).

Got the urge already to re-arrange my LEGO hobby room. I switched the tables to the opposite wall and I will just have a wall of shelves from the door entry to the far wall. Going to move the stamp collection to my bedroom. I made some neat changes to how I displayed the sets on the shelves. When I get a hold of a camera I will take pictures of the new arrangements. I do think it looks much better now.

Sell the stamps and get more LEGO. :)

I'll be getting all of the SW sets - it's my main theme - but I'm holding off on the rest until I can take advantage of the May the 4th minifig promo.

Today was about getting the Microfighters, and one each of a set with the new stud-blasters and spring-loaded shooters.

Has it been announced what the promo figure is yet?

leng jai

I can't see the Sea Cow selling well. It's priced like a UCS set while having the aesthetics and vibe of a children's set. Just how many parents are going to spend that kind of cash on what is essentially a toy? I'm sure there's a niche market for it (like many people in this thread) but I wouldn't be surprised if it had trouble selling and end up being half price at some point.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sea Cow doesn't really interest me. I will be there day 1 for spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Unsure about Emmet's mech. Just doesn't do the one in the movie justice.

I agree. LEGO had a chance to remake the classic space helmet properly. I would have preferred a simulated printed crack. That crack looks nothing like the several I have of the original classic space minifigs.

It's that weird horizontal line at the top of the helmet that keeps throwing me off. Hopefully it's just a byproduct of the super-high res photo and won't be obvious on the actual fig.

I'm still amazed that even after all the face & helmet chewing abuse my original Space dudes went through, none of their helmets broke. It wasn't until comments in this thread about Benny that I realized it was a thing. Turns out all my friends had snapped helmets as well.

Crappy cell phone pic incoming:

Hi LegoGAF thought I'ld pop in for some advice.

Seeing the lego movie really makes me want to go play with a few models and try some builds. I hear the Lego Ideas book is really good so might nab that, but was wondering which bricks set I should get. The Lego Store seems to have a Creative Tower which seems like the best place to start, as it has a whole range of pieces that might be more harder to come by generally.

Hi LegoGAF thought I'ld pop in for some advice.

Seeing the lego movie really makes me want to go play with a few models and try some builds. I hear the Lego Ideas book is really good so might nab that, but was wondering which bricks set I should get. The Lego Store seems to have a Creative Tower which seems like the best place to start, as it has a whole range of pieces that might be more harder to come by generally.
Welcome! Refer to the OP for ideas on sets to get if you are just dipping into the waters. As for books, I preferred the Lego Play Book over the idea one, but that is just me.

Glad to see new faces here. We are a friendly and welcoming bunch.

gsrjedi

I picked up the Galaxy Squad Galactic Titan for $30 at Target. Also found the Melting Room set at KMart. Mainly bought it for the figures, but I thought the playset ended up being pretty cool when I got it built.

Ryuuroden

It's that weird horizontal line at the top of the helmet that keeps throwing me off. Hopefully it's just a byproduct of the super-high res photo and won't be obvious on the actual fig.

I'm still amazed that even after all the face & helmet chewing abuse my original Space dudes went through, none of their helmets broke. It wasn't until comments in this thread about Benny that I realized it was a thing. Turns out all my friends had snapped helmets as well.

Crappy cell phone pic incoming:

Yes, I have some broken helmets and some unbroken ones myself.

ghostmind

I have to hear "Everything is Awesome" every 30 minutes guys. Every 30 minutes.

Errr... why?

I've got "Everything is Awesome" and the line from the "Where are my pants?" guy stuck in my head, as my son thinks both are worth repeating on a regular basis.

Ryuuroden

I can't see the Sea Cow selling well. It's priced like a UCS set while having the aesthetics and vibe of a children's set. Just how many parents are going to spend that kind of cash on what is essentially a toy? I'm sure there's a niche market for it (like many people in this thread) but I wouldn't be surprised if it had trouble selling and end up being half price at some point.

Having built the bottom portion of the Sea Cow so far, I really have to disagree with you on the aesthetics and vibe of a children's set. It is incredibly detailed and exquisite really. I think most people who take only a quick glance at it online will just judge it that way automatically but when you see it in person its just wow. Its a play set like Imperial Flagship is a playset (By this I mean it totally fits as an adult toy too and for display). If I were to put it on a scale of Barracuda to Imperial Flagship its up there in Imperial Flagship in style and detail. What makes it niche is not that it has a vibe of childrens set but that its totally steampunk fantasy which is ultra niche on its own. IMO it's totally different from the other movie sets as well in that I think its much more suited for display than all the wave 1 movie sets. It seems to me that all of wave 2 is more directed toward AFOLs, TFOLs and then toward kids who have parents who will spend that much on them. In this way, I am sure they have a smaller production planned for all those sets in Wave 2 which may go in for 2nd printing if there is demand. All of the wave 2 sets have play elements like missiles and stuff for the kids as well(I can vouch that adults like the interactive parts just as much)

Having built the bottom portion of the Sea Cow so far, I really have to disagree with you on the aesthetics and vibe of a children's set. It is incredibly detailed and exquisite really. I think most people who take only a quick glance at it online will just judge it that way automatically but when you see it in person its just wow. Its a play set like Imperial Flagship is a playset (By this I mean it totally fits as an adult toy too and for display). If I were to put it on a scale of Barracuda to Imperial Flagship its up there in Imperial Flagship in style and detail. What makes it niche is not that it has a vibe of childrens set but that its totally steampunk fantasy which is ultra niche on its own. IMO it's totally different from the other movie sets as well in that I think its much more suited for display than all the wave 1 movie sets. It seems to me that all of wave 2 is more directed toward AFOLs, TFOLs and then toward kids who have parents who will spend that much on them. In this way, I am sure they have a smaller production planned for all those sets in Wave 2 which may go in for 2nd printing if there is demand. All of the wave 2 sets have play elements like missiles and stuff for the kids as well(I can vouch that adults like the interactive parts just as much)

Damn it. Not what I needed to hear, my wife would flip if I brought this beast home.

I'm a bit bummed out the Cantina set comes with yet another landspeeder. I already own the first two. Could have put the pieces to better use on the Cantina itself.

Ah well. Sea Cow has my full attention any ways.

Still hoping they make the Batwing from the LEGO Movie as a set. 2 in 1 with the bat mobile.

Does the Super Cycle have instructions for its second form?

ghostmind

I was discussing the Sea Cow with a LEGO store employee today. They said that when they built the display model that it was very delicate and intricate work, and that they were recommending to parents that they take the "14+" recommendation on the box into consideration when purchasing.

I'm a bit bummed out the Cantina set comes with yet another landspeeder. I already own the first two. Could have put the pieces to better use on the Cantina itself.

I'm looking forward to the set. The only land speeder I've ever bought was the original 1999 set. Also, it looks like the Cantina actually folds up and isn't just an "open air" playset. And don't forget that Dew Back!

Ryuuroden

Damn it. Not what I needed to hear, my wife would flip if I brought this beast home.

Well when I get it done I'll post a comparison shot of the Imperial Flagship and Sea Cow next to each other. As it is, the footprint of the Imperial Flagship is much larger than the Sea Cow but the Sea Cows superstructure is much taller. I really can't give exacts yet cause I've only gotten to bag 4 and there's still a ton left to build. As it is, detail on Sea Cow seems superior to Imperial Flagship, it's just a different type of ship so I guess it's a matter of taste too. I for one have waited for LEGO steampunk for a very very long time and this fits the bill just fine while still having a classic piratey feel.

neonglow

Well when I get it done I'll post a comparison shot of the Imperial Flagship and Sea Cow next to each other. As it is, the footprint of the Imperial Flagship is much larger than the Sea Cow but the Sea Cows superstructure is much taller. I really can't give exacts yet cause I've only gotten to bag 4 and there's still a ton left to build. As it is, detail on Sea Cow seems superior to Imperial Flagship, it's just a different type of ship so I guess it's a matter of taste too. I for one have waited for LEGO steampunk for a very very long time and this fits the bill just fine while still having a classic piratey feel.

Do you have any of the Pirates of the Caribbean ships to compare also?

Zerojul

Hi everyone, I've been out of the lego business for more than 25 years.
My gf had this great idea to buy me the 10240 Red Five X-Wing UCS for christmas. Since then I've bought the 71006 Simpons house, 10937 Batman Arkham Breakout, the 10214 Tower Bridge and almost all of the new microfighters. And I'm considering a lot of the sets that have been introduced those past days (mostly Marvel and SW stuff). My wallet hurts like never before.
Anyway, I've been considering the 7965 Millenium Falcon too and I was wondering if ther was any way to know if this one was going to be discontinued any time soon ? Is there a "lifespan" for a regular set like this ? Am I going to miss it if I don't get it right now ?

neonglow

Hi everyone, I've been out of the lego business for more than 25 years.
My gf had this great idea to buy me the 10240 Red Five X-Wing UCS for christmas. Since then I've bought the 71006 Simpons house, 10937 Batman Arkham Breakout, the 10214 Tower Bridge and almost all of the new microfighters. And I'm considering a lot of the sets that have been introduced those past days (mostly Marvel and SW stuff). My wallet hurts like never before.
Anyway, I've been considering the 7965 Millenium Falcon too and I was wondering if ther was any way to know if this one was going to be discontinued any time soon ? Is there a "lifespan" for a regular set like this ? Am I going to miss it if I don't get it right now ?
It's gonna be 3 years since its release so it is in danger. Probably May 4th at the earliest. It will be remade in a couple years if you miss it.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Just completed building my third LEGO Movie set - Rescue Re-Enforcements.

Absolutely love the Fire Engine mech (with Fire Hydrant hand!) and the "Pig Powered" Barn Helicopter!

The Mini-Figs are probably the best part, especially the "Blacktron Shirt Guy" and "Fabuland Shirt Girl".

The one dissapointing thing about this set is the lack of being able to convert the mech and the chopper to their original vehicles. I would love to transform the mech back into a Fire Engine and the same with the barn.

Also, apparently the code on the Fire Engine mech is usable in The LEGO Movie Videogame, similar to what they did with LEGO City Undercover.

So far my favorite minifig from the Lego Movie CMF is the Mexican Guy (Massive massive apologies if his name is different). His outfit is cool and I absolutely love his accessory, I want more like them.

Unfortunately no, I do have an old imperial ship and pirate ship from the early 90's but I've taken those apart. I also have a pirate ship from a few years ago.

I've got the Queen Anne's Revenge. Once my Sea Cow arrives and I put it together I can take some comparison pictures.

Building the Deathstar and I am on box 3 of 4. I am missing 2 pieces. One is a grey 2 blcok and the other is a single black with a slope.

LEGO-Book-Amazing-Vehicles-Parts-List.jpg

1st column (6th one down) in black for the computer console
5th column ((13 - 15 down) in light grey for the doorway wall

What would be the best way to get either of these pieces? Thanks for any help!!!

Top Bottom