• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

That's a good concept, but I like the finished product more. Do you have the website where he talked about this concept?

10185-1.jpg

Hi Jasper,

I'm really happy to hear that you like the Parisian Restaurant. It means a lot to me coming from you because I respect your work.

I just wanted to clarify one of your remarks about me using your idea for the feathers because I’m sensing your disappointment and frustration.

The feathering technique used in the Parisian Restaurant actually was developed back in 2007 when I was working on the Green Grocer. I hold onto many things that were originally intended for other projects but didn’t quite work out. They are my misfit creations. They make me happy, so I hold on to them sometimes for years with the hope of using them some day when the timing is right. The tricky part is making sure they aren’t discovered by you guys first before the sets get out!

That seems to have happened here and highlights just how cool it is to have so many thousands of builders around the world trying to build similar details at the same scale with a limited palette of bricks. Coincidences are inevitable and exciting because they validate good ideas and the builders that discover them.

My naïve side hopes the 30+ models that I’ve worked on show the level of integrity I work hard to maintain. Please rest assured that the last thing I would ever want to do is to take someone else’s clever idea and claim it as my own. Half the fun of my job is surprising you guys.

http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=5965446

I wish you many years of building fun!

jamie

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87343&st=300

I am curious about Jasper's work now since people on Eurobricks and Jamie know of his work so well.

Heck, with Parisian Restaurant I am excited that my rolling pin building method from my unfinished Pie Shop MOC is exactly the same as how Jamie did it. Just a happy coincidence that I am sure countless other people have done, but it feels good.

EDIT: Oh, and the final Green Grocer looks better than the concept one. But love seeing early versions of stuff.

Fowler

I am curious about Jasper's work now since people on Eurobricks and Jamie know of his work so well.

Heck, with Parisian Restaurant I am excited that my rolling pin building method from my unfinished Pie Shop MOC is exactly the same as how Jamie did it. Just a happy coincidence that I am sure countless other people have done, but it feels good.

EDIT: Oh, and the final Green Grocer looks better than the concept one. But love seeing early versions of stuff.

I love how you can see elements of Parisian Restaurant (not just the feathers) in that Green Grocer concept.

That does make me think though about other cases like this. I mean, Jasper wasn't kicking up a real stink or anything, and I'm not suggesting he did. But what if someone does? As Jamie points out, genuine coincidences are inevitable. Have there been cases of LEGO using a technique first created by a MOC-er? Have they given credit?

Jamie's line about always trying to do things differently is fascinating... yet also, in an odd way, somewhat limiting. Surely a clever technique created by the community is just as valuable as something created by folks in Billund?

Not trying to make a big deal about Jasper's case, just wondering about all that really.

I wonder if Lego have to purposely avoid techniques & designs used by the wider community? Might explain why the official Batman Tumbler looks so bad.

Fowler

I wonder if Lego have to purposely avoid techniques & designs used by the wider community? Might explain why the official Batman Tumbler looks so bad.

But I mean, how is that even possible? There's so much out there and again as Jamie says, with only so many bricks there are only a certain number of ways you can put stuff together.

EDIT: I get LEGO not making entire models that look similar to MOCs... but this all came out of a tiny little thing, and that's what I'm curious about really.

About the rumoured LotR sets...

I don't know. Sounds a bit strange. Too many generic ruin backdrops. Still missing ridiculously iconic moments like the balrog. Also sounds like putting figures into sets just because.

Amon Hen isn't important in the long run unless you really want to put Boromir in a set again (and have him die, which even the game tried not to focus on).

The description of the Galadriel set sounds nothing like the scene. There isn't an actual mirror there. Although it's the most reasonable way we could expect to get Galadriel who is sorely needed.

Osgiliath would be a pure army builder set but I don't see the appeal for kids. MAYBE if Faramir is one of the defenders.

Witch King... again, it's just a death scene for Theoden unless they really, really want his figure available again. And why a second nazgul along with WK? If anything, this scene should have Merry, which would give us him in Rohan gear.

Finally I don't see the Minas Tirith set happening with that figure set. Pippin would make sense, in Gondor gear (if they're already releasing that as a separate figure elsewhere), but loads of orcs and no Faramir or Denethor anywhere between three different Gondor sets?

This basically sounds like fan speculation from someone who doesn't really know the source material that well.

R-User!

About the rumoured LotR sets...

I don't know. Sounds a bit strange. Too many generic ruin backdrops. Still missing ridiculously iconic moments like the balrog. Also sounds like putting figures into sets just because.

Amon Hen isn't important in the long run unless you really want to put Boromir in a set again (and have him die, which even the game tried not to focus on).

The description of the Galadriel set sounds nothing like the scene. There isn't an actual mirror there. Although it's the most reasonable way we could expect to get Galadriel who is sorely needed.

Osgiliath would be a pure army builder set but I don't see the appeal for kids. MAYBE if Faramir is one of the defenders.

Witch King... again, it's just a death scene for Theoden unless they really, really want his figure available again. And why a second nazgul along with WK? If anything, this scene should have Merry, which would give us him in Rohan gear.

Finally I don't see the Minas Tirith set happening with that figure set. Pippin would make sense, in Gondor gear (if they're already releasing that as a separate figure elsewhere), but loads of orcs and no Faramir or Denethor anywhere between three different Gondor sets?

This basically sounds like fan speculation from someone who doesn't really know the source material that well.

What you're saying makes sense. I kinda feel like I would take anything LotR that LEGO would throw at me at this point, but I would definitely like appropriate figs in their appropriate scenes. I also don't want Minas Tirith to be relegated to a Helms Deep Part 2 set. I want it to be glorious. Minas Tirith is not epic just for its battles on its doorsteps; it was a place of light and beauty! This city, deserves a 10000 set!!! For Gondor!!! -- For Gondor!!! -- FOR GONDOR!!!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone here interested in the Architecture line? I have 2 sets that I've had on display in my office for a while that I simply don't want anymore. I can't list them on Amazon because of holiday rules, but if so, PM me. I have a Farnsworth House and Brandenburg Gate.

41055 Cinderella’s Castle Romance (looks like a LEGO version of the Playmobil Dream Castle, with animals, Cinderella, Prince Charming, a pool, a swing in the garden, light grey/ white/ azure castle)

I hope this is basically a Lego Magic Kingdom castle. I would love some official Disney Parks sets.

My October 14th order (Winter Village Cottage, Thanksgiving Feast & Holiday Set 1) came in and LEGO was nice enough to provide the special Shop minifig. Awesome!

null_zps59c35684.jpg

I think this may be Jasper (same name, but who nows, it could be common :p).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50639649@N04/sets/

DSCN2801 by Jasper Joppe Geers, on Flickr

There are many other constraints LEGO designers have. Price point is one of the big ones. Also, some MOCs use "illegal" or weak connections which LEGO designers can't use. Number of other factors.

R-User!

Anyone here interested in the Architecture line? I have 2 sets that I've had on display in my office for a while that I simply don't want anymore. I can't list them on Amazon because of holiday rules, but if so, PM me. I have a Farnsworth House and Brandenburg Gate.

What are the Holiday rules?

I wonder if Groot will look like video game version for the movie sets.

http://www.fbtb.net/2013/10/19/four-new-characters-revealed-for-lego-marvel-super-heroes/

Where is Dr. Strange minifigure LEGO? WHERE?!?
LEGO, why??? So many minifigs you can make, enough with all Batman and all Spider-Man! I'm happy you made Iron Fist and Nova, but I need more! Look how well the Super-Man and Wonder Woman set sells!

Isn't there a plan for Dr. Strange movie? Or did it get shelved? Anyway, I got this from BrickCon for my brother-in-law. I like that they used off-the shelf LEGO parts, not as nice as the video game one but he's not a LEGO nut. (Personally, I never like Dr. Strange back when I was reading comic books).

SNbbkDHl.jpg

LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out DVD is $7.50 on Amazon. It comes with a Darth Vader that has a printed medal across his chest.

Totally worth it. This DVD is actually the only reason I have a Darth Vader fig.

I wish I had jumped on the Batman DVD so I could get that Clark Kent fig.

rallaren

I built Galactic Titan 70709 today and it was pretty good. My favorites being the flying ship's cockpit and the robofig with its weapon and jetpack. Would have been cool with some kind of control room or something in the tank. The centipede was a fun addition.
Bug Obliterator is, as many say, the cooler of the two though which is disappointing since this is the larger set.

I built Galactic Titan 70709 today and it was pretty good. My favorites being the flying ship's cockpit and the robofig with its weapon and jetpack. Would have been cool with some kind of control room or something in the tank. The centipede was a fun addition.
Bug Obliterator is, as many say, the cooler of the two though which is disappointing since this is the larger set.

The Titan was a good set overall, but I was a bit let down after building it. The big problem with the Titan is the tank part just looks incomplete once the ship detaches. The ship portion was the best part, and looks awesome on its own. At least with Bug Obliterator each part of the set looks like a complete set. They just happen to combine into one big ship.

Have you gotten Hive Crawler and the Eradicator Mech yet?

rallaren

The Titan was a good set overall, but I was a bit let down after building it. The big problem with the Titan is the tank part just looks incomplete once the ship detaches. The ship portion was the best part, and looks awesome on its own. At least with Bug Obliterator each part of the set looks like a complete set. They just happen to combine into one big ship.

Have you gotten Hive Crawler and the Eradicator Mech yet?
I like it combined, pretty awesome looking.

I have the mech and it's almost on BO's level imo but I will get Vermin Vaporizer before HC even if it looks really cool with the legs.

What may be the Junior's Batman?

TiokmLm.jpg

I'm loving this version.

Most likely. It's very kiddy. I approve. It reminds me of the old 70's batman cartoons with the lighter blue. Seems identical to current blue Batman except for the lighter blue and the newer mould for the mask which we first saw with the jetski Batman polybag.

sh025.jpg

Falch

Latest bricklink order:

Tonto will go nice with my cavalry set, that's all I'm getting from the Lone Ranger sets.

I've all the LOTR/Hobbit minifigs I want now except 2 remaining dwarfs (Gloin and Oin), Eomer, Haldir and Theoden. Atleast, until the next wave of Hobbit sets arrive.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out DVD is $7.50 on Amazon. It comes with a Darth Vader that has a printed medal across his chest.

Still waiting for a Blu-Ray release. I guess not enough people bought the BD version of Padawan Menace?

R-User!

Still waiting for a Blu-Ray release. I guess not enough people bought the BD version of Padawan Menace?

Yeah most likely... I already have seen a DVD of Yoda Chronicles out in a Walmart for 7.50 or 10.00 I don't remember. No minifig, but no Blu-Ray either...

Yeah most likely... I already have seen a DVD of Yoda Chronicles out in a Walmart for 7.50 or 10.00 I don't remember. No minifig, but no Blu-Ray either...

I haven't been able to find a copy of Yoda Chronicles up here in Toronto. I wasn't sure it had ever aired actually. I'll keep looking. Heading to Springfield IL on Wednesday so I may hit up a big box store.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Most likely. It's very kiddy. I approve. It reminds me of the old 70's batman cartoons with the lighter blue. Seems identical to current blue Batman except for the lighter blue and the newer mould for the mask which we first saw with the jetski Batman polybag.

sh025.jpg

Adam West batman is the best batman.

The dude in the back on the right makes it even better.

also, kinda pissed FRY's is having a really good sale right now on LEGO that's in store only and I have none here in Florida :-/

Might go to K-Mart later and check clearance stuff

Sorry to hear that, there's a Frys by me. Does it make you feel better knowing that by the time I get there there won't be anything left. You need to hit those places 1-2 days from the start of awesome clearances/sales like those. I'll check KMart, they'll probably have a bunch of LEGO clone stuff lingering. Highly doubtful any good LEGO left, but maybe will get lucky.

From the OT on gaming side:
Not sure if the other versions are like this, but the Wii U version contains a bonus DVD containing episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel Avengers Assemble, and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH. Instead of a physical manual, it has a build guide for some kind of helijet (I think) if you own certain LEGO sets.

We need photos of this build guide!

So I just picked up Lego Marvel Superheroes from Walmart and got the Iron Patriot minifig without a preorder. Hadn't even been planning to, it was an impulse buy made last night since I realize I loved Lego City Undercover and this looks really similar to it. <_<

Then I decided to look at eBay for listings of the Iron Patriot fig and... It seems to pretty much be going for around $30 now. Wow. Now I almost want to just sell it.

...I think I'll keep it.

Yeah, it looks pretty rough. But... it still piques my interest to build it.

Oh absolutely, yeah. I just think it's funny that they'd actually include that.

I'm actually leaning toward buying this stupid game now. I think my daughter might love it.

Wife will hate me for introducing her to games, but.....

Top Bottom