• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

The Vampyre Castle is the only set I really wanted, and it's sold out before the sale even starts.

Did it ever go back "in stock"? Kind of weird to have a Cyber sale of items that are sold out.

That said, the CITY Dirt Bike Transporter is well worth the $10, that Catwoman set is already OOP, so they must have found some stock, and those other Batman sets are worth looking at too.

Ponn

Banned
Black Gate gets you Mouth of Sauron, Aragorn in his kingly armor, Gandalf the White, an eagle, and a whole lot of great black pieces. I only have one, and it is a pretty cool set. If just for Mouth of Sauron and his scary horse.

The figs are definitely the most appealing part for me. And it's nice its discounted heavily right now, just not feeling anymore "Wall" sets.

Yes, I have two Black Gates - they are in my backlog.

I'm still feeling the LotR sets, but I am burned out by the Hobbit after last year's playset deluge (with Unexpected Gathering being the exception). Currently I don't feel any desire to pick up the Smaug sets.

I feel like if I get one I will have to get two or my OCD will drive me crazy. I'm getting burnt out on LoTR and these latest Hobbit sets. Need something very different to get me interested, like an actualy brick built Smaug or Balrog or Fell Beast or something. Probably why i'm kind of looking at Lake Town chase just because its not another wall set.

Article about some of the new parts debuting in those Chima Legend Beasts sets. Looks like a lot of new possibilties

http://www.newelementary.com/2013/12/new-legends.html

anim3.gif

Definitely picking a few of these up.

Those Chima Legend Beasts sets and Mixels will definitely appeal to AFOLs mostly as parts packs. I want those sets more after reading that article. Depending on the prices, I will pounce on them or just wait for 20-30% off.

Did it ever go back "in stock"? Kind of weird to have a Cyber sale of items that are sold out.

That said, the CITY Dirt Bike Transporter is well worth the $10, that Catwoman set is already OOP, so they must have found some stock, and those other Batman sets are worth looking at too.

Yes, they definitely had a stock of those somewhere. LEGO store I went to on Black Friday had a bunch of those Catwoman sets just for that day.

What we need is an actual set with Smaug and for it to be awesome.

I'm afraid that we won't get all of Smaug, the Balrog, the fellbeast and Treebeard in the 1-2 remaining series of Hobbit/LotR. Too many brick-built creatures, but all of them are goddamn essential.

Instead we get Small Wall, Treeish Wall, Wooden Structures and Ruined Wall.

(Smaug is pretty much given, but I'm assuming that they didn't want to release him before/along the movie because of spoiler issues. The Balrog is super, super iconic but might trigger some "demonic thing not for kids" trouble. The fellbeast could be a modified dragon which would be fine - we mostly want that for the implied figures that would come with it. Treebeard seems like a given, since he already has a working design from the game and since they put a random ent in Orthanc.)

I'm afraid that we won't get all of Smaug, the Balrog, the fellbeast and Treebeard in the 1-2 remaining series of Hobbit/LotR. Too many brick-built creatures, but all of them are goddamn essential.

Instead we get Small Wall, Treeish Wall, Wooden Structures and Ruined Wall.

(Smaug is pretty much given, but I'm assuming that they didn't want to release him before/along the movie because of spoiler issues. The Balrog is super, super iconic but might trigger some "demonic thing not for kids" trouble. The fellbeast could be a modified dragon which would be fine - we mostly want that for the implied figures that would come with it. Treebeard seems like a given, since he already has a working design from the game and since they put a random ent in Orthanc.)

Yeah i'd most definitely get a Balrog set if made well!

Also, we need the Witch King of Angmar minifig!!! Might as well give us the fell beast while at it then...

Rootbeer

Banned
They sure are taking their sweet time with the Balrog. Yeah, that set is past due now. Needs to happen.

They better not give the same shaft to Smaug. They already have a dragon body they can base it off anyway. Just hope it looks satisfyingly different since I already own the 2013 red dragon from the Castle theme. (and I quite like it)

ghostmind

First image of the Hobbit Legolas polybag:

70efcXq.jpg

Hmmm... not sure what he is doing there.

Anyway, here's a Star Wars Microfighters poster:

1or6Rkz.jpg

PSA: Silver Mine Shootout for 42% off

Pirate Ship Ambush for 40% off

Unexpected Gathering for 33% off.

All fantastic sets, especially Unexpected Gathering and Silver Mine Shootout.

Rancor for $33 (45% off), thanks to slickdeals

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A850SMM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had no intention of buying this set but now I have no choice... price is just too good. And dat Rancor figure.

This is insane!!! If those hit 50%, I'd buy a 2nd one of those since I have them all except for Pirate ship. At 50% off I'd buy the pirate ship just for the minifigs. OK, I'm exaggerating about getting the pirate ship for just minifigs, but 50% is my buy almost anything if has good pieces and minifigs price point.

EDIT: Someone please post the 300 "This is Madness! ... This is LEGO!" gif.

From 12/1 to 12/14 Target in-store seems to be having a fairly small Lego sale. Discounts aren't great (5% off here and there) but several Galaxy Squad sets are heavily discounted - I picked up Space Bug Obliterator for 40 bucks.

Rootbeer

Banned
Agree, it can be frustrating if you are mostly into those. Best to keep an eye on warehouse deals as the big sets do show up there every so often. but it would only be a 15-20% discount or so. but that's a nice chunk with the price on those things.

ghostmind

I like the new avatar.

Thanks! Coreda made it for me.

I think that all these 30% to 50% sales are raising a good question. Purchase when a set releases, or hold off until the Christmas season for the huge discounts?

I'm considering waiting on most of the themes (except for direct, which rarely discount now, and maybe Star Wars) this year and then going crazy next Black Friday/Cyber Monday/etc.

The damage today:

SUV with Watercraft
Tow Truck
Forest Animals
Monster Truck
Race Car
Emerald Express (Creator)
Decorating the Tree polybag
Lego Holiday Brick Box

Damage to wallet= $0 (Yay gift cards)

They were out of those holiday sets (Though I managed to get one already) so I opted to use my 20 bucks off.

Ghostmind's new avatar is hilarious

This may be of interest for some since one of the five sets usable for the contest is the 31004 - Fierce Flyer. I think this was as set that was thrown around for one of the MOC contests here.

$100 is on the prize for those that are interested.

http://rebrickable.com/blog/2013/moc-alternate-build-competition-dec

----

January LEGO calendar looks weak for sales and/or giveaways. I hope Grand Emporium is still around until next double points or better giveaways.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I bit and ordered a full Series 11 set from Bricklink. 48 euros is a bit more than I would've liked to pay, but it's pretty impossible to find a series 11 box here because LEGO decided not to distribute those in the Netherlands :( Paying 100 euros for a box of 60 was a great deal, especially since I could just sell the figures I don't need at work. I had a box for 120 euros ordered at amazon.fr but they never got it back in stock again.

Vyer

I think that all these 30% to 50% sales are raising a good question. Purchase when a set releases, or hold off until the Christmas season for the huge discounts?

I'm considering waiting on most of the themes (except for direct, which rarely discount now, and maybe Star Wars) this year and then going crazy next Black Friday/Cyber Monday/etc.

It's worth considering.

Unless you're only relying on Amazon Lightning Deals. Shit sells out instantly, lol

Jimbro72

I think I may be the same way, just trying to show a little more patience because, with a few exceptions, you can pretty much get any set for 30% off or more if you just wait for those deals. I kept a spreadsheet of all my purchases this year and the savings over retail I had and it is about 24% off. But seeing all these deals now on sets I already have, I feel like I could have saved hundreds more dollars on stuff. Gotta be more patient and selective next year, I think.

I think I may be the same way, just trying to show a little more patience because, with a few exceptions, you can pretty much get any set for 30% off or more if you just wait for those deals. I kept a spreadsheet of all my purchases this year and the savings over retail I had and it is about 24% off. But seeing all these deals now on sets I already have, I feel like I could have saved hundreds more dollars on stuff. Gotta be more patient and selective next year, I think.

This year is just crazy in terms of XMas sales. I think it will vary from year to year. I don't recall there being this type of discounting last year. Part of the reason is the shorter shopping season (1 week less) this year. I also think it's partly due to the plastic bubble. Too many sets (including clones) being released and perhaps stores getting too much inventory. I could be wrong and LEGO is releasing the same amount as previous year (in which case, it's excessive inventory then).

I noticed the 30% sweet spot too, but I will bite at 20-25% too. The less I can wait for a set, the lower discount I'll accept.

I haven't seen many discounts on sets I really wanted. I'm sure that could change next year but I usually don't count on it. Thankfully, I don't buy a ton of sets so it doesn't hurt me too much.

R-User!

Waiting as long as you can for LEGO sales ALWAYS pays off my book. :)

Think of those BF discounts as ways of reducing the price of entry on the E$clu$ive Sets... ;)

Or at least treat your self to one or two "launch day sets", but refrain from the rest to increase savings!

Remember: more savings = more LEGO!

Man so many sale, I think next year I am going to wait till Xmas to shop. (Which will never happen, hanging out in here).

GBtFcB7l.jpg

I love that little polybag train set.

Oh, now that's some bullshit. I checked tracking on my Arkham and it said delivered at noon and signed with my wife's last name. So I assumed it was waiting at home. Nope. Just a note on our building door saying it was in the leasing office. My wife was home all day too. So basically I can't get the set til tomorrow now. Fucking lame, and once again my fedex driver proves his worthlessness.

mojiimbo

Man so many sale, I think next year I am going to wait till Xmas to shop. (Which will never happen, hanging out in here).

GBtFcB7l.jpg

I love that little polybag train set.
Did you get that train from Target or TRU? I waited too long to get last year's Halloween polybag at Target this year and don't want to make the same mistake.

mirkwood spiders dropped further... tempted to get though I'm not a huge fan of the elves... though I wouldn't mind rounding out my dwarves.. yay or nay?

seems like some of the galaxy squad stuff has dropped more as well (the $30 and below sets)

ghostmind

Oh, now that's some bullshit. I checked tracking on my Arkham and it said delivered at noon and signed with my wife's last name. So I assumed it was waiting at home. Nope. Just a note on our building door saying it was in the leasing office. My wife was home all day too. So basically I can't get the set til tomorrow now. Fucking lame, and once again my fedex driver proves his worthlessness.

It seems like most of the time they don't even try anymore.

It seems like most of the time they don't even try anymore.

Was so excited to start on Arkham tonight, too. Well, at least I can tomorrow night, and off all day Wednesday to finish it.

Once done, I will probably get my top list up for the year. If only I got Sydney Opera House as well. That is early next year though. If it goes like this year, I will probably modify my top list once I get more sets.

Jimbro72

AT-TE is now 45% off at Amazon, for $49. Apparently only 20 left in stock.

Galactic Titan is only $60 as well. That's 42% off.

Ugh. Further proof that I need to show a lot more patience. And here I thought I was getting a decent deal back when I bought my AT-TE for only 22% off. What makes it worse, it's still sitting in my backlog. These discounts are crazy, though. Seems like these are post x-mas clearance type prices, not 3 weeks before x-mas prices. Just crazy.

Top Bottom