• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

Ugh. Further proof that I need to show a lot more patience. And here I thought I was getting a decent deal back when I bought my AT-TE for only 22% off. What makes it worse, it's still sitting in my backlog. These discounts are crazy, though. Seems like these are post x-mas clearance type prices, not 3 weeks before x-mas prices. Just crazy.

I'm starting to wonder if LEGO has started to hit critical mass. You go to a TRU, or even a store like Walmart, and LEGO sets take up a huge chunk of real estate in the toy section.

Jimbro72

I'm starting to wonder if LEGO has started to hit critical mass. You go to a TRU, or even a store like Walmart, and LEGO sets take up a huge chunk of real estate in the toy section.

Yep and I wonder if it's not because LEGO is putting out just way too much product. I mean how many lines are currently available and within each line, there is anywhere from half a dozen to 20-30 sets over the course a year being put out. That's a huge number of sets available for people to buy. I don't know if they need to scale back on total number of lines or number of sets in each line but by having so many out there, very few sets are going to sell in very large numbers. It's just too watered down and I think stores are finding themselves with a glut of product.

That, or retail is really struggling again and these stores are pulling out all the stops to get the consumer dollar this season no matter the cost.

Bought the VW camper on BF. Ironically, it was actually my single-most expensive item that I picked up that day. Also got a Bilbo keychain thanks to the in-store coupon thingy aside from the truck. I call it the George Lucas set because the minifig looks like him (when he had his beard).

I actually bought Villa Savoye in-store but returned it as I'd rather order Fallingwater first before I pick up Villa Savoye.

ghostmind

Yep and I wonder if it's not because LEGO is putting out just way too much product. I mean how many lines are currently available and within each line, there is anywhere from half a dozen to 20-30 sets over the course a year being put out. That's a huge number of sets available for people to buy. I don't know if they need to scale back on total number of lines or number of sets in each line but by having so many out there, very few sets are going to sell in very large numbers. It's just too watered down and I think stores are finding themselves with a glut of product.

That, or retail is really struggling again and these stores are pulling out all the stops to get the consumer dollar this season no matter the cost.

I wouldn't mind seeing LEGO scale back to fewer in number, but higher in quality sets.

The shelves with Lego have never ever taken up this much space, especially at TRU. The Lego section is huge, much bigger than when I was a kid. I can imagine it can be tough to clear all of it

VW Camper Van assembled! My first exclusive set. Was even tricky in some areas of the build.

0bMJvCl.jpg

KOSWyn4.jpg

How did you like the build? Love the display case, btw.

Bought the VW camper on BF. Ironically, it was actually my single-most expensive item that I picked up that day. Also got a Bilbo keychain thanks to the in-store coupon thingy aside from the truck. I call it the George Lucas set because the minifig looks like him (when he had his beard).

I actually bought Villa Savoye in-store but returned it as I'd rather order Fallingwater first before I pick up Villa Savoye.

Villa Savoye is quite fun, but pretty small once done.

And congrats on VW Camper. One of the best sets money can buy, and worth every single penny. Something that is easy to recommend to anyone, even non LEGO fans as they immediately recognize it. Even my mother in law wants one.
It is one of my favorite sets still currently available. Top 5 easily. Maybe top 3. Hope it brings you joy.

EDIT:

FYI: Unexpected Gathering, one of the most praised sets of last year by many a member on here, is still discounted on Amazon. 33% off. Only $46.75 for such lovely goodness.

The shelves with Lego have never ever taken up this much space, especially at TRU. The Lego section is huge, much bigger than when I was a kid. I can imagine it can be tough to clear all of it

Doesn't TRU actually lease the shelf space to LEGO, which explains why it's such a radically different section than the other ones? I'm certain I've seen that reported before....

Doesn't TRU actually lease the shelf space to LEGO, which explains why it's such a radically different section than the other ones? I'm certain I've seen that reported before....

Would not shock me. Probably why they have LEGO reps come in to set the sections and models on display instead of clerks doing it.

Sith Interceptor or Galactic Titan?! I can't decide!

Sith Fury. All the way.

Galactic Titan is a good set, don't get me wrong. But it was a bit of a letdown since it was the final, and biggest, set released in the line. Hive Crawler and Bug Obliterator are the gems of that line.

But Sith Fury is just a beast of a set. The wings get repetitive, but the construction of it is still solid and great.

Also, Sith Fury will disappear first. So get it while the getting is good.

EDIT:

Damn. That is discounted too. Only $63.30 on Amazon. BUY! BUY! BUY!

Links in the pics.

Only $7.30 right now. Great lil set, and a perfect stocking stuffer.

Only $13. Only way to get classic costume Superman. Only way to get Wonder Woman. Cheapest way to get Lex Luthor in a boss suit.
Oh, and the mech itself is a helluva fun build. Worth it at full price of $20. Downright criminal at $13.
I cannot recommend this set highly enough.

Blizzard

Banned
I built the fire brigade a year or two ago, and later this week my next modular should arrive. I got the Pet Shop, and hopefully it compares favorably. I'm looking forwards to the Parisian Restaurant next year. :)

I built the fire brigade a year or two ago, and later this week my next modular should arrive. I got the Pet Shop, and hopefully it compares favorably. I'm looking forwards to the Parisian Restaurant next year. :)

Pet Shop is best in print modular building. Hoping that Parisian Restaurant dethrones it. Jamie's return to the line is much anticipated by me.

flyingpig

Neo Member
I expect the bubble to hold until the LEGO movie. From there it either explodes AGAIN, or goes the way of beanie babies and cabbage patch dolls.

Links in the pics.

Only $7.30 right now. Great lil set, and a perfect stocking stuffer.

Only $13. Only way to get classic costume Superman. Only way to get Wonder Woman. Cheapest way to get Lex Luthor in a boss suit.
Oh, and the mech itself is a helluva fun build. Worth it at full price of $20. Downright criminal at $13.
I cannot recommend this set highly enough.

The Ninjago mech is still my favorite I got... so surprised by how good a set it is for what I paid and its size.

I'm super conflicted about the Lex set still... I want the green pieces but still the minifigures I care less for... I know it was stated I can turn most figures into whatever but... gahh!

I really am a stingy bastard...

I don't think it will crash quite that hard. But the speculator market will definitely die down eventually. Either way, I think it will still be around and strong for a long time. If that means less sets, then fine. Means less money I have to spend on it. :)

The Ninjago mech is still my favorite I got... so surprised by how good a set it is for what I paid and its size.

I'm super conflicted about the Lex set still... I want the green pieces but still the minifigures I care less for... I know it was stated I can turn most figures into whatever but... gahh!

I really am a stingy bastard...

Yeah, the Fire Mech is a fantastic set for the price. Lots of fun.

But the Lex set is even better.

Better build. Better parts. Better figures. More personality and posability.
Dat Kryptonite piece you put in the gun!

Can't wait for that Maersk Triple E!!!

The set looks intriguing, but those stickers. My god, those stickers.
You would think with the sheer volume of stickers per set they could print the pieces for cheap. But it may be something with Maersk that doesn't allow them to make printed pieces.

I forget, are there stickers across multiple pieces like the train?

EDIT: Also, when did you become a junior member? Thought you were fully engorged.

I built the Baxter robot. I don't really care for the Turtles minifigs themselves or the vehicles they roll in...they just seem cheapish...or maybe I'm just too old. The robot itself is great, I loved the build and the sticker for the window looks awesome, I love the wiring, I want more stickers like that pronto. Any other sets that have a sticker like that?

Deefuzz

The set looks intriguing, but those stickers. My god, those stickers.
You would think with the sheer volume of stickers per set they could print the pieces for cheap. But it may be something with Maersk that doesn't allow them to make printed pieces.

I forget, are there stickers across multiple pieces like the train?

EDIT: Also, when did you become a junior member? Thought you were fully engorged.

Yeah I hate the use of stickers to that extreme degree. The last Maersk ship DID use stickers across multiple pieces which is just horrible. But since I slept on the last release of a Maersk ship I definitely want to snag this one. I especially like the little UCS style plate with all of the stats on the ship that comes along with it.

I've been a junior member this whole time unfortunately. I guess since I used to mostly just post in the LEGO threads. But I am trying to participate more and more so maybe in another couple of years my status will change! :)

captainblye

Neo Member
Urg. Went to pick up 10514 - Jake's Pirate Ship Bucky from Amazon, and it was sitting at $43. I thought I had seen it cheaper before, so I checked and MSRP is $39.99.
So I ordered it off of shop@home. Then I saw it later in the day on Amazon for $25...and now it's back up to $43.

I noticed the same deal with 31010 - Creator Treehouse....I can walk right in to Target and pick it up for $29.99, but it's currently sitting at $59 on Amazon.
trying to determine what's a good deal is getting to be a bit of a pain.
Is this just a seasonal thing, or does this happen on Amazon all the time, and I just haven't noticed?

This isn't really impressive compared to things other people here have built but hey, I'm proud of this since it has an actual practical use and saved me money. I needed a stand for my phone to hold it while I record videos but didn't feel like shelling out $20 for a Gorillapod or something so... I turned to Lego!

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

The top bracket flips up and down to allow insertion/removal of the phone, the bottom is locked in place. My phone's a bit too thick while in its case so I had no choice but to use those rubber pieces instead of solid ones since these can bend outwards while still holding it securely (making the brackets themselves thicker would cause the phone to be loose in it). I could make it taller if I wanted, but this is good for now since I just plan to use this to record videos of me opening Pokemon TCG packs and stuff.

...Though, getting back into collecting Pokemon cards stripped my Black Friday Lego budget. Ah well, seems there weren't any too spectacular sales at least for stuff I don't already have.

neonglow

Advance copies of the eight new Hero Factory sets were sent to Eurobricks, and the result is a thorough review of each of them. Check out http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89182#entry1754497 for links to all the reviews.

The new minifigures are nice. It's interesting they reused the skeleton torso.

The sets themselves seem overpriced with the low piece count. All the mechs feel like they're missing pieces with LEGO removing them to hit their target price points. I'll definitely get one to experiment with though.

Every time I read the word, kaiju, I keep thinking about Pacific Rim. These sets are definitely influenced by that movie and they should have tried to get the license.

Here's more reviews of the combined models.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89116

Rootbeer

Banned
leaning towards like. some hate these sorts of heads, but i'm a fan. love the star wars ones and these look fine to me. Way better than the alternative of using generic heads with hair pieces, IMO.

Haven't really followed the Simpsons show in years, but I'm still going to get a few sets. I want at least the core family and maybe a couple of my fav supporting characters.

Grownup Lisa in her undies...

Makes sense. I haven't watched Simpsons in ages. I saw an episode a few years ago and it was trashy. I think it was the bully's mother and her undies fell down to her knees or ankles (something about she couldn't keep them on). That's not the type of humor I expect from Simpsons. I like that humor in shows like South Park and Family Guy.

Ponn

Banned
Got the box from the office. Arkham begins tonight. Work sucked bad, so I need this.

Congrats, you are in for a treat. Let me know your thoughts on the windows. I was having fun right up to those damn
gargoyles
Those were my only complaint about that build.

ruxtpin

Banned
I must stop. With all the sales running around lately, I'm now waiting on...

Helm's Deep ($96)
Sith Interceptor ($64)
Warg Attack ($35)
Mirkwood Elves ($16)
Jabba's Sail Barge ($69)
Ironman Malibu Mansion ($21)

This exclusive Christmas truck is a nice little build. I love the little pine trees, I want more of them. Maybe even a few of those clear translucent ones.

Vyer

Put together the Winter Village cottage we bought last year (at an awesome discount). Pretty cool little set. Makes me want more WV stuff.

I must stop. With all the sales running around lately, I'm now waiting on...

Helm's Deep ($96)
Sith Interceptor ($64)
Warg Attack ($35)
Mirkwood Elves ($16)
Jabba's Sail Barge ($69)
Ironman Malibu Mansion ($21)

I hear ya. I almost bought a second set of Mirkwood elves for the elves and black pieces, but I thought I'll have a ton elves with the elf battle pack. $16 is so cheap for that set. I couldn't resist Jabba's Sail barge either $73 for me. I bought a 2nd eradicator mech and a bunch of multiples of small under $10 sets.

Top Bottom