• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

The thing with my Maleficent is, I knew that torso pieces don't grip slopes as well as legs, I've just never had one feel THIS flimsy. It could just be mine though.

Yeah mine wasn't awful but just what I expected. I'm kind of glad I got the few I wanted. There's more that I want for my daughter and I (who is 2 and is falling in love with Disney) but the overall asthetic and quality is just "meh" to me.

Now the monster CMF was my jam. I think I bought most of the series and triples of some.

wetwired

I got my box yesterday, Although it's cool we get 3 full sets with 18 per series this time it sucks a bit there's only 6 spares in a box.

Wanderer5

Damn neither the Target nor Barnes & Nobles near me had gotten them yet (Target still had the Halloween ones actually heh). I got a chance to get to a Lego store tomorrow after school, and I hope there be some still there by then.

Also I got kind of disturbed by B&N where I saw quite a few lego sets looking beat up and all. I almost got the black panther set, but since it is my birthday this Thursday, I might as well mention it in passing within my family as a b-day idea lol. Almost everytime, my birthday involves Marvel in some way nowadays.XD

wetwired

The second is old school Spidey! Dat silver web printing is where it's at! The darker blue color really complements the suit too...

jLbuIbz.jpg

Man, it really bugs me how i missed all these figs back in the day and now i have to hunt them down paying sometimes outrageous prices for them when you could just pick em up back then for next to nothing!

I guess the lesson to be learned here is: Be mindful of what you think you're gonna like and buy it NOW rather than later!

Coincidentally I went to a toy fair yesterday and picked up a 2nd one of these dark blue spidermans for AUD$8, I can't tell if it's new or used but it's in great condition.

I almost bought up the whole box at work just to do trades later, but felt that was selfish.

Crap picture because of bad lighting near the coffee table.
One of my Alice's was completely missing the face printing, which adds this extra layer of creepy to the figure.

This series is really fantastic. The molds are wonderful for the heads, and I absolutely love the new skirt pieces. Definitely a big step up over the old cloth skirts.

Anyways, the feel guide!

Stitch: Feel for the longer, thinner ears. Then feel for the short, non moving legs to confirm.
Alien: Feel for the antenna sticking out of the head. Then feel for the short, non moving legs to confirm.
Buzz Lightyear: Feel for the flat wings (they are separate pieces from the body), and feel for the wide, half domed head piece.
Aladdin: Feel for the hairpiece with a small protrusion on top. The lamp is another way to feel, but make sure there are normal legs to go with it.
Genie: Feel for the lamp, then feel for the flat, squiggly vapor legs.
Maleficent: Feel for the sloped brick, then feel for the staff (the single rod is the giveaway)
Alice: Feel for the bottle, and then the cookie tile. The skirt piece is a bit weird to feel for though.
Cheshire Cat: Feel for the oddly shaped head with little to no protrusions. The short, non moving legs and separate tail piece will confirm.
Donald and Daisy Duck: Feel for the open bill on the head. Then feel for the small, slightly bulbous tail piece. For Daisy, feel for the bow, which is flatter than Donald's hat.
Micky and Minnie Mouse: Feel for the round ears on the side of the head. For Minnie, feel for the bow and the skirt.
Mr. Incredible and Syndrome: Feel for the 2x2 tile, as both have them. For Syndrome, feel for the larger, pointy hair piece.
Peter Pan: Feel for the knives. They are attached to a small connecting piece, so it should feel like a flat U-handle in the bag. The pointy hat is another way, but the knives are best.
Captain Hook: Feel for the hat. It is large and curved. Feel for the sword to confirm.
Ursula: Feel for the massive tentacle bottom piece. Feel for the trident to confirm. It will be one single piece instead of multiple like on Maleficent.
Ariel: Feel for the massive tail piece. The sea shell is one large folding piece, and then feel for the jewel in it.

Good luck feeling for that Peter. Its pretty hard. The longer you feel, the harder it gets.

Got em. Feel for the knives which are attached to a plastic bar. It should feel like a handle to a bucket.

All I gotta feel for now is Aladdin. When I get home this evening I will post a feeling guide.

I think you missed something there.

Does no one not get the blatant sexual undertones I was going for there?!? Lol

I subtly acknowledged it above.

Lewd, lewd, all of you.

Yes I have no place to say such things.

6077-2.jpg

Was gonna sell it but now that I tried to put it together again, I don't know if I have the heart to. Kinda want to find out what I'm missing so I can complete it.

I would be really interested in a modern take on that theme.

Hell, if Lego went all in on the castle theme I might somehow justify collecting them! Could you imagine a USC castle?

Rootbeer

Banned
I welcome everyone to the Disney CMF Club :3 Still recovering from my shock of finding them more than two weeks ago, haha.

I love that Spidey poster!

Anyway, found this. I hope it didn't go up only to get sold out (J2G is notorious for buying stuff 'early' on toysrus.com but I can never manage to find anything that way, how does he get so lucky!?)

The prices on these June LEGO SW Freemaker Adventures sets are so good! Great value.

Wanderer5

Yay the wait for Ghost Rider is shorter!:D

Maybe I'll consider the bridge set a bit more, during a sale or something. Depends on what else I want to get, including a couple other type of figures I been keeping a eye on.

ghostmind

The ad was published in a magazine that covers toy news around the world, but is based in the UK.

So the question is this ad referring a UK release date, or a worldwide date?

Ponn

Banned
The ad was published in a magazine that covers toy news around the world, but is based in the UK.

So the question is this ad referring a UK release date, or a worldwide date?

Ah shit-nuts. UK has gotten super hero sets earlier than US alot of times before, probably the case. Oh well, lets me save up to get two Bridge sets.

Rootbeer

Banned
I want those new super hero sets as much as you all, but can I really survive a huge wave of Star Wars coming out alongside a bunch of new SH sets?

Mercy is requested

Wanderer5

Honestly at this point, I might just ditch black panther, and ask for a B&N gift card for my b-day instead just in case lol. Got like least $55 in cards there.

Ponn

Banned
Honestly at this point, I might just ditch black panther, and ask for a B&N gift card for my b-day instead just in case lol. Got like least $55 in cards there.

The thing with these Avengers figs i'm learning quickly is that since these movies are churning out for another 5 years or so with the same characters we will get these figs again. They may be a little different but for instance everyone was going crazy for that Winter Soldier polybag a year ago and now we have him in two sets this year. We'll get Ant Man eventually in another set as well.

Wanderer5

The thing with these Avengers figs i'm learning quickly is that since these movies are churning out for another 5 years or so with the same characters we will get these figs again. They may be a little different but for instance everyone was going crazy for that Winter Soldier polybag a year ago and now we have him in two sets this year. We'll get Ant Man eventually in another set as well.

Well I like the BP set for the jet too. I could end up checking it out, but I don't mind waiting and seeing how other sets turn out (like the 4th civil war set), and just have more B&N money on the side for whatever.

Well I like the BP set for the jet too. I could end up checking it out, but I don't mind waiting and seeing how other sets turn out (like the 4th civil war set), and just have more B&N money on the side for whatever.

The jet in the Black Panther set was pretty cool. Nothing amazing or earth shattering, but still cool. The real stars of that set are the figures.

The Civil War set you need is the Airport Battle. GIANT-MAN!

Even if it isn't the biggest part of that set, the brick built Giant-Man alone is making it one of my favorite sets this year.

ghostmind

I want those new super hero sets as much as you all, but can I really survive a huge wave of Star Wars coming out alongside a bunch of new SH sets?

Mercy is requested

With the 2H Star Wars wave hitting in June, the advent calendar in early September, and then the Rogue One sets on September 30th, this is going to be an expensive summer.

Wanderer5

The jet in the Black Panther set was pretty cool. Nothing amazing or earth shattering, but still cool. The real stars of that set are the figures.

The Civil War set you need is the Airport Battle. GIANT-MAN!

Even if it isn't the biggest part of that set, the brick built Giant-Man alone is making it one of my favorite sets this year.

But teh stickers.:p I would looooove him otherwise, but he still great, and I like the quinjet more after seeing it in person.

Rootbeer

Banned
With the 2H Star Wars wave hitting in June, the advent calendar in early September, and then the Rogue One sets on September 30th, this is going to be an expensive summer.

Hard choices ahead. But, I say that every year! I've learned to cope. Barely.

One thing I am pretty sure about though. If that Disney Castle ends up being real & good, I'm spending all of my $270 saved VIP points to get it. It must be mine!

I'm hoping for something on the quality level of the Haunted House or Simpsons House/Kwik-E-Mart. A nice castle that opens up to reveal rooms and such. Anything less is just not doing it justice.

LOL maybe so.... I've managed to get them unstuck now with another go at the Twist and Turn technique.

Thanks for posting that detailed writeout though BentBricks ;) your effort shall not be in vain! (well not completely anyways). New brick separators huh? First i've seen them, weird. Guess i didn't open any new sets yet? Which ones do these come in? I've only ever had the plain orange ones we've all got a million spare ones of...

Sorry about the confusion. The orange one is the "new" one I meant. I should have called it the most current version. The images I posted had the older green version.

Went to my old Lego store for the Disney figures, got there around 12:30 and they were almost gone by the time I left at 1:30. One of my old coworkers brought out the store iPad and showed they had sold out online before 1pm. Crazy.

I got 19 (I asked if I could get a second Peter Pan for my girlfriend and they let me) got home and just opened everyone to... some disappointment.

First off, I thought I had everyone, but I wound up with an extra Daisy and Genie. So if anyone wants to trade lemme know, I sliced the packages open with an exacto blade but otherwise they're unassembled inside. Somehow I'm gonna need to find a Donald and Aladdin, and I'd love to get a ton of the Pizza Planet Aliens.

Next disappointment, my Genie didn't come with his hair piece. He has the bald cap but no hair. UGH.

Third disappointment, the printing on some of these is.. not up to what I'm used to with Lego standards, especially for something as high profile as Disney. My Peter Pan's leg printing on his left leg is off center, a lot of the shoe prints are just confusing WTF to me because they're out of alignment.

Fourth disappointment is that my Maleficent's torso does not snap and hold on to her leg piece. As I was trying to put her staff in her hand she fell apart 5 or 6 times.

Over-all I really like this theme and I think they look fantastic, but I just got unlucky with some of mine and there's just weird quality control issues. I still don't know why the hell they didn't include an Apu with Aladdin, or any kind of accessories with certain characters. Why doesn't Stitch have a red blaster?

With the rumors that the Magic Castle will come with additional characters like Pluto (who should be an accessory to Mickey but is getting a Minifigure instead?), Goofy, Tinker Bell, Celebration Mickey & Minnie, this line should technically be called Lego Disney Parks. It feels pretty obvious to me that these are supposed to be the costumed characters there. Which is pretty cool! I just hope that the line isn't this series and the D2C Magic Castle, I still really want characters like Chip & Dale (who IMO should have been microfigure accessories to Donald if these are supposed to be the cartoon versions), Marry Poppins & Bert, Tarzan & Jane, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Woody & Jesse, Beast & Belle, etc.

I almost bought up the whole box at work just to do trades later, but felt that was selfish.

Crap picture because of bad lighting near the coffee table.
One of my Alice's was completely missing the face printing, which adds this extra layer of creepy to the figure.

This series is really fantastic. The molds are wonderful for the heads, and I absolutely love the new skirt pieces. Definitely a big step up over the old cloth skirts.

Anyways, the feel guide!

Stitch: Feel for the longer, thinner ears. Then feel for the short, non moving legs to confirm.
Alien: Feel for the antenna sticking out of the head. Then feel for the short, non moving legs to confirm.
Buzz Lightyear: Feel for the flat wings (they are separate pieces from the body), and feel for the wide, half domed head piece.
Aladdin: Feel for the hairpiece with a small protrusion on top. The lamp is another way to feel, but make sure there are normal legs to go with it.
Genie: Feel for the lamp, then feel for the flat, squiggly vapor legs.
Maleficent: Feel for the sloped brick, then feel for the staff (the single rod is the giveaway)
Alice: Feel for the bottle, and then the cookie tile. The skirt piece is a bit weird to feel for though.
Cheshire Cat: Feel for the oddly shaped head with little to no protrusions. The short, non moving legs and separate tail piece will confirm.
Donald and Daisy Duck: Feel for the open bill on the head. Then feel for the small, slightly bulbous tail piece. For Daisy, feel for the bow, which is flatter than Donald's hat.
Micky and Minnie Mouse: Feel for the round ears on the side of the head. For Minnie, feel for the bow and the skirt.
Mr. Incredible and Syndrome: Feel for the 2x2 tile, as both have them. For Syndrome, feel for the larger, pointy hair piece.
Peter Pan: Feel for the knives. They are attached to a small connecting piece, so it should feel like a flat U-handle in the bag. The pointy hat is another way, but the knives are best.
Captain Hook: Feel for the hat. It is large and curved. Feel for the sword to confirm.
Ursula: Feel for the massive tentacle bottom piece. Feel for the trident to confirm. It will be one single piece instead of multiple like on Maleficent.
Ariel: Feel for the massive tail piece. The sea shell is one large folding piece, and then feel for the jewel in it.

Wow, quality control is really going out the door lately. I recall the delays in the last CMF series where rumored reason was related to quality control.

Phonciplebone, now you have a minifig head primed for a custom print. I'd rather get a printed head and just turn it around to have a blank face. :)

That's why I'm so interested in the Classic Batman Batman set. Not sure the odds are great of getting more sets in the Classic Batman series, so those are some (fantastic) minifigs that may not be in a set again.

I remember really wanting the set from the first Avengers movie with Thor and the Hulk, but passed on it because it was a little pricey and the set was kinds meh, but now there's a Hulk buster set with big Hulk and a pretty cool mech along with it!

wetwired

Although the heads for mickey/minnie donald/daisy are shared with different prints and hats/bows the fact that they are modular gives me hope we might see some Disneyland variants with the rumoured Disney Castle, hopefully a Sorcerers Apprentice Mickey, if not Tuxedo and Red Dress Minnie

Wha, so they pushed the sets from Aug to next month?!
Cashing in on Spidey, since he will be in Marvel Captain America Civil War. It looks pretty good especially for Spider man comic fans. I am going to combine it with the Sandman set.

Edit: so may be only UK, good because like Phon I do want that Porsche set.

Although the heads for mickey/minnie donald/daisy are shared with different prints and hats/bows the fact that they are modular gives me hope we might see some Disneyland variants with the rumoured Disney Castle, hopefully a Sorcerers Apprentice Mickey, if not Tuxedo and Red Dress Minnie

Those are the only other 2 variations I can think that I would want. I'd like classic B&W versions where Minnie has that flower hat, but I don't think that would have wide appeal. Oh, and a topless Minnie Mouse probably won't fly.

Disney has a much wider audience that spans generations compared to the Simpsons. It's $$$ in the bank for both LEGO and Disney. It's a marketing avenue for Disney to a HUGE audience. Time will tell.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have Ikea's wide Lack shelves, which would not work for your space. However, they do make ones that are about 11"x10" and since they are wall mounted, you could space them vertically as needed - http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/50282177/

Edit - misread the width there, the next size up is 43" wide which wouldn't fit. But the 11" ones could still be spaced out to look nice.

Thanks. You find the depth of LACK shelves ok? In that case I'm wondering whether a BIlLY bookcase would be an option - seems to be the right width for the space and they have a couple of heights so I could go floor to ceiling or a bit lower

Hagi

The Marvel sets are weird to me because I really want the Civil War minifigs but the last thing I need is a bunch of boring vehicles (to me) sitting around. That Spider-Man bridge though damn if only I had the space! Will definitely get it when we move to our own place.

Is bricklink the best place to buy minifigs outside of sets?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Unless I want the vehicles I usually just buy the figs off Bricklink.

Obviously the Quinjet sets are worth having, and i'll be getting the Scarecrow combine this year too, but generally I just buy the figs separately. If you can wait a few weeks or month after they release they'll be easier to find for cheaper- as with all new bricks/figs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom