• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XShagrath

Barnes and Noble stores should have them tomorrow. Go there when they open to look for them, as I don't think many people will be going there to find them. That should give you a good amount to pick from.
Thanks for the tip. I've definitely got one of those near me, and I should get the 10% discount for being a member too.

Kyari

Check out the sexy built in curves on Ms. Hill!

516E8EFF-A06C-4787-9BAE-E406C180FF1A.jpg

Stop making me want to order SHIELD Agents en masse :(

Ponn

Banned
Disney CMF up on S@H. I was nervous about them selling out before I get paid next friday and I had $40 in VIP points so I ordered 11 of them and used my VIP points to get them. Thank you May 4th free shipping promotion! Now crossing my fingers for a lucky CMF haul.

Pixels

Disney CMF up on S@H. I was nervous about them selling out before I get paid next friday and I had $40 in VIP points so I ordered 11 of them and used my VIP points to get them. Thank you May 4th free shipping promotion! Now crossing my fingers for a lucky CMF haul.

Genius! VIP points mean no tax and free shipping woooo

Trying to rebuild my copy of the Forestmen River Fortress to see why I liked this set and finding I'm missing pieces. Man does nothing ruin a build more than discovering you're missing pieces and it's an older color so finding a replacement can be...meh

Hmmm this set is missing more pieces, gonna have to jot down what I need to complete it.

Sand green is a great colour but I haven't seen much of it recently- its all Olive green now.

Medium blue however, I hope that stays around forever.

Maybe if they start making Harry Potter sets again. Hmmm...I thought Harry Potter sets had a lot of sand green, but looking at Hogwarts Castle it's mostly just highlights and those big castle top thingies.

I did learn a nice feature I haven't used in Brickset.

http://brickset.com/parts/colour-Sand-Green

I have no idea what I will do with the orange tiles, but it is a cool color to have.

I have the same problem. I just hoard parts thinking I may need it someday even if I don't know what yet. I'm a pack rat or is it a brick rat.

D5btI9L.jpg

Couldn't help myself

7tS6Ssa.png

It was probably legit for Mickey to smoke back in the 30's.

I was searching for old posts about my BrickMAX theater MOC to remind myself of stuff, and stumbled upon this post...

So I've submitted my Ghostbusters to CUUSOO, it's under review atm so hopefully it'll be up soon. I want to add more to it when those few pieces turn up and the real lights (I'll likely do a video) but here's a sneak peak of what I've got up there so far. Also note, bigger wheels!

title.jpg

Ecto1.jpg

back1.jpg
Ah, memories.

Is there ANY good way at all to separate 2 1x1 plates that are stuck together really hard? I've tried Brick separators, but they won't come apart. My fingernails almost broke down trying to get these suckers apart now and i will NOT resort to knives etc. :(

Any tips?

Twist them 45 degrees then jam the separator in there?

That's the thing, previously that was my go to method, TWIST them 45 degrees then get under there with your fingernail or whatever and get em loose but this time it seems i can't even twist them, they're stuck LOL.

I'll give it another try later on when my fingers are rested!

Koren

Twist one 45°, put two 2x1 bricks parallels (or 1x1 with a tile on top, round is probably even better if you have round bricks and round tiles) on a plate with a 1 stud gap between them, put the 45° one on top as a bridge between the two 2x1 bricks, and press the lower one down with something small enough?

(Never tried it myself, I've always managed to separate them by putting pieces on each side, or with a L-shape construct on each side in the worst case... but I guess it should work)

Oh boy Rebrickable might be the easier way for me to find the store that has most or all of the parts I need to complete this set, yay!

boltz

Lego display shelving - what do people use? I have a slim possibility of persuading my wife to let me use the space on the upstairs landing for my Lego models, which will be great as I've lost some space in the spare room due to rearranging furniture for VR..

I have a space about 80cm wide, 2.2m high, and maybe 40cm deep (although the shallower the better). That's about 31.5" x 86" x 16". I've seen things like the idea detolf and I have a similar sized glass unit but with open sides. My worry there is lack of flexibility as I have quite a few larger models - Star Wars or expert creator, but quite a few smaller ones like the vehicles (VW Camper, mini, Ferrari) and Lego architecture. So would a shelving unit with adjustable shelves be better?

What do you use, and can you post pics and any pros/cons after using them for a while?

I have Ikea's wide Lack shelves, which would not work for your space. However, they do make ones that are about 11"x10" and since they are wall mounted, you could space them vertically as needed - http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/50282177/

Edit - misread the width there, the next size up is 43" wide which wouldn't fit. But the 11" ones could still be spaced out to look nice.

Is there ANY good way at all to separate 2 1x1 plates that are stuck together really hard? I've tried Brick separators, but they won't come apart. My fingernails almost broke down trying to get these suckers apart now and i will NOT resort to knives etc. :(

Any tips?

Try slipping some thin and stiff between them to spilt them apart, like a utility knife. Or a temperature change might ease the process such as freezing or running under hot water.

Ponn

Banned
That Angel is pretty damn good!

Xmen.jpg

ungh...finally my favorite X-Man in Lego form. Now that's Archangel, and funnily enough this is obviously in response to the new movie but they didn't use the movie design and went comic book. I'm wondering if Lego would have done the same. Now that's Quicksilver.

VIP, likes star wars, might spend a bit. officially, there was supposed to be a list but that generally never works out, so LBR just hands them out to random VIP members that like star wars and stuff
Well my store being Mall Of America I probably don't have a ghost chance ever lol

We seriously should get together for a Lego swap next time you're in Buffalo. I've got a Sabine helmet for you.

We're heading up your way for Guns N Roses, Brickfete, and Fan Expo too.

D'oh! I flew out of Buffalo last week to go to a conference in Phoenix, too.

Brickfete sounds like a good plan - what day are you planning on attending?

I have no idea what I will do with the orange tiles, but it is a cool color to have.

You can never have too many orange 2x2 tiles. You can make a flat-tile portrait for Halloween with it.

D5btI9L.jpg

Couldn't help myself

Amazing.

That Angel is pretty damn good!

Xmen.jpg

Classic 80s Archangel was always a favorite design of mine. They really nailed it.

That's the thing, previously that was my go to method, TWIST them 45 degrees then get under there with your fingernail or whatever and get em loose but this time it seems i can't even twist them, they're stuck LOL.

Add another 1x1 plate and use it as a 1x1 brick. Problem solved!

I use the twist technique for that situation. The alternative I use for any other plate situation is to use other plates or bricks. Stack them on top and bottom of the stuck plates. Make sure if using plates, stack them in an easy way to separate. This gives you a bit more leverage and area to work. I've used this method many times when I did't have a brick separator handy.

From the thread's first post.
TBs_20111002_1f.gif

I recall the new ones don't work as well because of the Technic axle part. You can still use the newer brick separator. Stack two plates (2x2 or larger) staggered by 1 stud. Place the 1x1 plates so edge of 1 of the 1x1 plates is next to one of the other two plates. You can then use the brick separator to separate the 2 1x1 plates. Then you can remove the remaining 1x1 plate from the other plate.

Might have been easier for me to put an example together and post a photo instead of typing it all out. :)

Other techniques I found when looking for example with new brick separator.
3OlKQ.jpg

The bottom most one is what I was trying to describe how to use with a brick separator. That slope piece would work the same as two staggered plates.

This has Lord Business written all over it. They've been Kragled!!

This has Lord Business written all over it. They've been Kragled!!

LOL maybe so.... I've managed to get them unstuck now with another go at the Twist and Turn technique.

Thanks for posting that detailed writeout though BentBricks ;) your effort shall not be in vain! (well not completely anyways). New brick separators huh? First i've seen them, weird. Guess i didn't open any new sets yet? Which ones do these come in? I've only ever had the plain orange ones we've all got a million spare ones of...

8bit

Knows the Score

Any tips?

Dental floss.

Good luck feeling for that Peter. Its pretty hard. The longer you feel, the harder it gets.
Got em. Feel for the knives which are attached to a plastic bar. It should feel like a handle to a bucket.

All I gotta feel for now is Aladdin. When I get home this evening I will post a feeling guide.

I picked up 15 semi-randoms and got most of those I wanted, but I will need 3 Alice, 3 Peter Pan and another Aladdin for parts.

I did an anti-feel: anything with a 2x2 tile or short legs I didn't want.

Wanderer5

I should push myself to go out to target or B&N today to check these Disney figures out heh. Was going to this morning, but I wasn't feeling that hot then. Would be great to get least the Incredibles ones and Stitch.

Hagi

Bought twenty if the Disney minifigs today and got 13/18 which wasn't bad for our first collection. I really should have looked up feel guides before but then I would have to have known they existed. :p

will try and finish the set this week and get an extra two of the aliens.

It was 3 per customer here. I got Donald, Buzz, and Ursula.

Barnes & Noble hadn't gotten them in yet, but I'll keep calling and checking there.

Psh. Screw Toys R Us. I threw my wife and kids in the car and we flew up to the closest LEGO store. Got the whole set in like 20 minutes working with all the other LEGO fans feeling the bags and trading the ones we needed or not.

Pixels

Psh. Screw Toys R Us. I threw my wife and kids in the car and we flew up to the closest LEGO store. Got the whole set in like 20 minutes working with all the other LEGO fans feeling the bags and trading the ones we needed or not.

That's freaking awesome!

Pixels

So I'm consider UCS sets as an investment since the May the 4th promo is going on. Which UCS do you think will be popular in 5 years? I think Slave 1 but not sure what else.

Shit, I missed them. Do you think US S@H will restock them? They actually say "Sold Out" with no back order date.

Anion

So I'm consider UCS sets as an investment since the May the 4th promo is going on. Which UCS do you think will be popular in 5 years? I think Slave 1 but not sure what else.
I was thinking the Slave 1 myself too, but I already have the Tie Fighter, x-wing, and obi-Wans ship

Went to my old Lego store for the Disney figures, got there around 12:30 and they were almost gone by the time I left at 1:30. One of my old coworkers brought out the store iPad and showed they had sold out online before 1pm. Crazy.

I got 19 (I asked if I could get a second Peter Pan for my girlfriend and they let me) got home and just opened everyone to... some disappointment.

First off, I thought I had everyone, but I wound up with an extra Daisy and Genie. So if anyone wants to trade lemme know, I sliced the packages open with an exacto blade but otherwise they're unassembled inside. Somehow I'm gonna need to find a Donald and Aladdin, and I'd love to get a ton of the Pizza Planet Aliens.

Next disappointment, my Genie didn't come with his hair piece. He has the bald cap but no hair. UGH.

Third disappointment, the printing on some of these is.. not up to what I'm used to with Lego standards, especially for something as high profile as Disney. My Peter Pan's leg printing on his left leg is off center, a lot of the shoe prints are just confusing WTF to me because they're out of alignment.

Fourth disappointment is that my Maleficent's torso does not snap and hold on to her leg piece. As I was trying to put her staff in her hand she fell apart 5 or 6 times.

Over-all I really like this theme and I think they look fantastic, but I just got unlucky with some of mine and there's just weird quality control issues. I still don't know why the hell they didn't include an Apu with Aladdin, or any kind of accessories with certain characters. Why doesn't Stitch have a red blaster?

With the rumors that the Magic Castle will come with additional characters like Pluto (who should be an accessory to Mickey but is getting a Minifigure instead?), Goofy, Tinker Bell, Celebration Mickey & Minnie, this line should technically be called Lego Disney Parks. It feels pretty obvious to me that these are supposed to be the costumed characters there. Which is pretty cool! I just hope that the line isn't this series and the D2C Magic Castle, I still really want characters like Chip & Dale (who IMO should have been microfigure accessories to Donald if these are supposed to be the cartoon versions), Marry Poppins & Bert, Tarzan & Jane, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Woody & Jesse, Beast & Belle, etc.

Ponn

Banned
Shit, I missed them. Do you think US S@H will restock them? They actually say "Sold Out" with no back order date.

HOLY SHIT! I fucking knew it, I knew these suckers would sell out but this is some kind of record. I was saying Lego was going to underestimate the demand for these things. Time to hit the panic button people, get on these suckers as fast as possible.

TheFuzz

That sucks. Anyone else have this issue? She's the only fig I want from this series.

I had a similar issue, but it's always been that way when a torso is clipped to a slope piece. The medieval minifigures have it, too. The clutch power just isn't there like usual. Mine wasn't awful, but it's clearly not attaching to minifigure legs.

On a positive note, I'm almost done with my next MOC modular and I'm really excited to show it to everyone when finished. It's my first 100% original idea as far as the building design goes.

The thing with my Maleficent is, I knew that torso pieces don't grip slopes as well as legs, I've just never had one feel THIS flimsy. It could just be mine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom