• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JANG reviews the Hoth Base, from 2011!

https://youtu.be/2d9DzgyHSFE

He's pretty fair-handed about it. Now let's see what he thinks of 75098.
It's funny reading the comments on the vid. People seem to really like this set and are looking forward to a "UCS set for minifigs". Also weird to read people thinking 2011 was a long time ago and that they used to have this set but don't anymore. Guessing it's a younger crowd.

When looking at the Batcave and the Hoth UCS set, at least the Batcave has redeeming features. The classic Batmobile, Bruce's office, the "climbing a wall" feature on the other side of the office, the Batcopter, and of course the amazing figures. It's overpriced and looks unfinished but it has good stuff in it. Hoth USC looks like it has a whopping nothing going for it. I was honestly looking forward to it because I kinda want a Wampa and a Taun Taun but I'd rather just BrickLink them than ever waste money on that set.

I'd like to see someone make a much better Batcave close to the same piece count to hit about the same price point.

It doesn't look too disconnected to me when put all together like this.
25109236566_245a2f8ee0_b.jpg

I do understand the disappointment of a partial Wayne manor. I think it was a way to add the study and the "climbing a wall". A proper Wayne manor would have been a UCS by itself, something like Arkham Asylum.

I personally prefer that they included the Wayne Manor portion instead of just adding more filler to be background for the cave to give it a more full appearance. I can buy or already have parts to do that myself.

The fact that they packed so much of the show into this one set leads me to believe this is the only set we'll see from the TV show. Sadly, because they used Mr. Freeze as the polybag giveaway, I probably won't see the Batgirl minifig I really want. It's the only thing I am upset they didn't have.

A small set that had Commissioner Gordon in his office with Chief O'hara, a Batsignal on the roof of the office, AND Batgirl, the theme would be 100% complete to me.

I do get why people don't like the set. For me, the set delivers almost all the key elements that I remember about the TV show which is probably why I'm very forgiving on the skeleton of a Batcave.

Osahi

Damn. 10% off on Slave 1. Tempting, but i wasn't goung to spent a lot of money this month as i am on a little trip to Portugal

Osahi

Portugal isn't going anywhere. Portugal will still be around. Slave 1 may not be around after 1-2 years.

I am in Portugal at the moment. We have a place here :D It is not that it is expensive here at all, more that i promised myself to cut back spending a bit apart from the expenses here. (And financially i have to bridge a few months as i am between payments for two projects)

Might cave though. Offers until may 7th, and that is the day the next credit card period starts :D

teeny

Nice mix of red and brown and great start!

Because the sides of the building arent on show its not always necessary to have them the same colour if thats a part issue but obv if there's an interior they'll then show.

Theres so many ways to do detailing that its just experimentation really! Search for 'the Lego Neighborhood book' by the Lyles, its great for modular inspiration.

Thanks! I think I would like to do an interior and I should have the parts available. I did toy with the idea of just doing the front but I think it would bug me :D Maybe as a start.

Thanks for the book suggestion too, just the preview on Amazon has been helpful!

Nice start, teeny! I hope you post more progress pics.

Cheers, I'll definitely post them especially if I run into problems :p

Checked out the deals on S@H today and... well, apart from Slave I I'm not that interested. Perhaps if there was double VIP I would have bitten but, eh.

Yeah, 10% and double VIP would have got me to buy a bunch of Star Wars sets that I don't want. 10% isn't quite enough.

Also ooking at stuff like the Sandcrawler and the Ewok village and wondering what they'd be like as investments, ha. They can't have much life left in 'em.

I'd like to see someone make a much better Batcave close to the same piece count to hit about the same price point.

It doesn't look too disconnected to me when put all together like this.

I do understand the disappointment of a partial Wayne manor. I think it was a way to add the study and the "climbing a wall". A proper Wayne manor would have been a UCS by itself, something like Arkham Asylum.

I personally prefer that they included the Wayne Manor portion instead of just adding more filler to be background for the cave to give it a more full appearance. I can buy or already have parts to do that myself.

The fact that they packed so much of the show into this one set leads me to believe this is the only set we'll see from the TV show. Sadly, because they used Mr. Freeze as the polybag giveaway, I probably won't see the Batgirl minifig I really want. It's the only thing I am upset they didn't have.

A small set that had Commissioner Gordon in his office with Chief O'hara, a Batsignal on the roof of the office, AND Batgirl, the theme would be 100% complete to me.

I do get why people don't like the set. For me, the set delivers almost all the key elements that I remember about the TV show which is probably why I'm very forgiving on the skeleton of a Batcave.
Oh I didn't mean to imply I didn't like it. I own it and am waiting until we move to a new office to build it. When I say it looks unfinished I mean the giant wall of just flat studs which I think looks ugly as hell, but having seen the set in person before I left Lego I really like it. I'm actually not going to build the reacor part when I build mine though, and I'm gonna use those extra bricks to flesh out the Batmobile... cage? and the wall with the poles. I haven't seen enough of the show for the reactor to mean anything to me so I'd rather use those pieces to enhance the parts I like.

I just wish there was a way to display the office and the climbing wall at the same time ):

Rootbeer

Banned
May 4th order placed. Nothing too extravagant, just picking up a couple $25 sets I've been delaying on, and added another Shock Trooper battle pack. Just enough to get the poster and promo figure. Double VIP is nice too.

June 1st will be where I spend the big $$$ :p

Woorloog

Banned
No double VIP? I thought there would be. Didn't that one promo image imply there would be?

10% off Sandcrawler is not quite enough...

Nitemare1

Had to buy new tires for my truck this week so all major lego spending is on hold for a little while since my vacation is right around the corner.. Time to dip into the backlog and start sorting all the rest of the stuff that needs to be disassembled. Which I'm sure is just going to make me want to buy more anyway!. ughh.

May 4th order placed. Nothing too extravagant, just picking up a couple $25 sets I've been delaying on, and added another Shock Trooper battle pack. Just enough to get the poster and promo figure. Double VIP is nice too.

June 1st will be where I spend the big $$$ :p

Same here, I am still really down this year on LEGO especially Star Wars set. I just ordered the Resistance Transport. May be if I have time to head to the store this week might pick up other stuffs. Anyone here build that Imperial Assault Carrier? That UCS Hoth set really bum me out the May 4th.

teeny

Modular MOC update - I am now out of tiles, 2x1 plates in the right colours and bley 1x? Bricks to build the sides. And I realised I have no proper windows! Oh well. Moved some bits about though:

Also can't figure out how to start a roof, though it would probably help if the rest of the house was made!

I vaguely remember someone mentioning this the other day but I can't find the post...

Is anyone having any issues ordering from the (UK) LEGO website? Every time I add something to my cart it's okay, but as soon as I sign in it doesn't let me select free delivery (for a £60 order) and won't let me redeem my VIP points. It says it's due to maintenance but it's been saying this for literally weeks now so it seems more like there's some weird issue with my account. Tried it in another browser and it does the same thing. So weird.

Or maybe there is just legit maintenance and I keep checking at the wrong times.

What browser are you using? I had similar problems before using safari.

I changed to firefox and that sorted it.

I've tried Chrome on my PC and iPad, and Internet Explorer on my PC and they all do the same thing. They say my order is eligible for free shipping when I'm logged out but as soon as I sign in it says "Oops! Maintenance!" and will only let me select the £3.95 option.

iosefe

I got the vignette set this morning, I don't plan on opening it.

current ebay pice is average $250

as a reminder, each store got like 30, and all sets that didn't go to a customer are to be shipped back to LEGO, meaning there will be even less in the world than was initially produced

as a reminder, each store got like 30, and all sets that didn't go to a customer are to be shipped back to LEGO, meaning there will be even less in the world than was initially produced

Wow. I would sell it for that price. Is there any rare piece in it? There's that weird pink thingy that suspends the Millenium Falcon which I can't identify. Still even if that was unique only to that set, I'd still sell it for $50+.

Wow. I would sell it for that price. Is there any rare piece in it? There's that weird pink thingy that suspends the Millenium Falcon which I can't identify. Still even if that was unique only to that set, I'd still sell it for $50+.

This is gonna be like $1,000 in a few years, or more.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale starting today - I thought it wasn't until next week.

Picked up the Troop Transport, the Maz Katana set and a combo of the small Hoth & Obi Wan sets to get a couple of extra First Order Troopers. Very pleased that some of the sets I actually wanted were discounted.

I was surprised to see the big Rebels set marked down as well. I'd like it, but even at $120 CDN that's a lot just to get Sabine's helmet.

teeny

Thanks for the heads up on the sale starting today - I thought it wasn't until next week.

Picked up the Troop Transport, the Maz Katana set and a combo of the small Hoth & Obi Wan sets to get a couple of extra First Order Troopers. Very pleased that some of the sets I actually wanted were discounted.

I was surprised to see the big Rebels set marked down as well. I'd like it, but even at $120 CDN that's a lot just to get Sabine's helmet.

Regarding Sabine's helmet, I believe you get buy it from the Lego pick a brick online store. Just plug the number of the set in and it gives you a list of parts. The last time I checked, it was available.

Edit: Sorry, not pick a brick but Bricks and Pieces

Edit Edit: Crap, looks like it's not there any more :( Sorry!

Jimbro72

$250? Yep, I'm out on ever getting one. I could see myself maybe paying upwards of about $40-50, which is what the convention exclusive sets have retailed for, but I'm not paying triple figures for this. It was a neat idea just poor execution since the scale was too small to make it look that good, especially the Falcon.

We seriously should get together for a Lego swap next time you're in Buffalo. I've got a Sabine helmet for you.

We're heading up your way for Guns N Roses, Brickfete, and Fan Expo too.

Regarding Sabine's helmet, I believe you get buy it from the Lego pick a brick online store. Just plug the number of the set in and it gives you a list of parts. The last time I checked, it was available.

It's the Bricks & Pieces service and it has been long gone. I was gonna order it, but delayed and it was gone a few days later. It's not greyed out like some if you view available parts for the set it is in. It is completely gone in the listing now.

Sabine Helmet
Element # 6115457

Check out the sexy built in curves on Ms. Hill!

Someone has muffin top.
Not sure if you care about the legit version, but it was available on Bricks & Pieces. Lemme check if it's still available.

Yep. Just checked torso as rest are common.
6093516 0.37 hair
6112612 2.32 Torso
4162916 0.61 Legs

I don't have head element #. It's not too uncommon, but not in any cheapo minifigs.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3626cpb0635&in=M

Nice, now i wonder whether Lego will ever integrate an update like that with their official figs...Probably not though since i imagine they'll want to keep away from "touchy" subjects like gender recognition etc. and just avoid discussions.

Not to mention the additional need for a specialized mould and moving even further away from the classic minifig. I don't think it will happen.

First time I saw a custom female torso like that was from Arealight. I wonder how it compares to the bootleg stuff.
For Star Wars fans, Arealight focuses mainly on Star Wars. He has some cool moulds and seems to have quality custom prints. I can't speak from experience as I haven't bought anything from him, but I've read posts about his stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arealight/with/15677899280/

Oooh, he has some "new" stuff. I haven't checked out his stuff in quite awhile.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lego display shelving - what do people use? I have a slim possibility of persuading my wife to let me use the space on the upstairs landing for my Lego models, which will be great as I've lost some space in the spare room due to rearranging furniture for VR..

I have a space about 80cm wide, 2.2m high, and maybe 40cm deep (although the shallower the better). That's about 31.5" x 86" x 16". I've seen things like the idea detolf and I have a similar sized glass unit but with open sides. My worry there is lack of flexibility as I have quite a few larger models - Star Wars or expert creator, but quite a few smaller ones like the vehicles (VW Camper, mini, Ferrari) and Lego architecture. So would a shelving unit with adjustable shelves be better?

What do you use, and can you post pics and any pros/cons after using them for a while?

willp2003

I recently bought the ikea Kallax unit. Not great for lots of small models but the good thing is you can easily leave out one divider for any really big sets. think a few people have these. You can get one two boxes wide, which might fit your space.
Here's a crappy pic
0EF24944-A17E-49DC-8D65-46A38BF338C8_zpsg5oiwok8.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I think they're supposed to officially release tomorrow, aren't they?

Yup, hit up your local LEGO store May 1st for anyone who haven't found the Disney CMF in the wild yet. Best way to feel out a set, since they always have many boxes on launch day.

TRU or Target you're lucky if they have one box, although sometimes TRU will have two boxes. This is of course assuming they didn't sell them early and ran out / ran low, and many stores have. LEGO stores hold to the street date better.
Someone has muffin top.
Not sure if you care about the legit version, but it was available on Bricks & Pieces. Lemme check if it's still available.

Yep. Just checked torso as rest are common.
6093516 0.37 hair
6112612 2.32 Torso
4162916 0.61 Legs

I don't have head element #. It's not too uncommon, but not in any cheapo minifigs.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3626cpb0635&in=M

Not to mention the additional need for a specialized mould and moving even further away from the classic minifig. I don't think it will happen.

First time I saw a custom female torso like that was from Arealight. I wonder how it compares to the bootleg stuff.
For Star Wars fans, Arealight focuses mainly on Star Wars. He has some cool moulds and seems to have quality custom prints. I can't speak from experience as I haven't bought anything from him, but I've read posts about his stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arealight/with/15677899280/

Oooh, he has some "new" stuff. I haven't checked out his stuff in quite awhile.
DANG I am really impressed with some of their custom molds and prints. I'm tempted to buy some stuff!

wetwired

(Not my pic, just adding a pic to make my post more interesting :p)

So after what feels like forever I've finally ordered all the parts for the UCS Bat Pod. I managed to make a few good saves on parts.

I'm doing this with a friend overseas to save money, getting parts 2 Batpods. There's one Hero Factory part which goes for at least $16 on bricklink and I needed 6 per batpod. My friend found the hero set it comes in (3 per set) over where he's from and snatched them all up for $25.

There was another small part for $5 each that we needed 4x of that comes in an older mixel set which I find at RRP so we saved a bit there too.

All in all I managed to get away with only 3 bricklink orders and one Bricks and Pieces orders (for the tires and a few other parts which were cheaper on there)

If you could the full cost of all the sets we bought (not sure if I'll keep the spare parts from those or sell them off) It came to about AUD$170 (about USD$130) per Batpod. They start at about $300 for a bricklinked one online.

Now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive :/

110723lego_sand_red.jpg

I also discovered that Sand Red is a colour that exists. It's discontinued now but I ordered some 1x2s and 1x6s anyway to have on hand, it looks like a nice colour and would work well in a custom modular some day so I thought I'd grab some while I can. They're not overly cheap but I got 50x of each (used) which came to about $100

Koren

Sand blue, sand green and sand red are tbree of my favorite colors, I hope sand red will come back and the other two will be more common.

The probably aren't the best colors for toys, though, I guess...

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Sand green is a great colour but I haven't seen much of it recently- its all Olive green now.

Medium blue however, I hope that stays around forever.

The Lonely Mountain has a bunch of sand green. I bought it for Smaug and it's still unopened in my backlog. I'll probably use the bricks in a MOC someday as the set seems underwhelming.

XShagrath

Yup, hit up your local LEGO store May 1st for anyone who haven't found the Disney CMF in the wild yet. Best way to feel out a set, since they always have many boxes on launch day.

TRU or Target you're lucky if they have one box, although sometimes TRU will have two boxes. This is of course assuming they didn't sell them early and ran out / ran low, and many stores have. LEGO stores hold to the street date better.

My nearest LEGO store is in Disney Springs, which is about 45 minutes away. I'm not gonna make a trek down there just for those. Guess I'll just hope to get lucky at Target, or end up buying them online. Thanks for the info.

Since there was no Sandcrawler for sale (but they had a built one on display) at the LEGO store, there was no Star Wars action for me. There was also no Batcave built and on display, which helped stop me from buying it.
They did have the Crawler Crane built and on display, which was tempting. But I must wait for the Porsche.

In the end, I just got two more big PAB cups (lots of SNOT and other pieces which I will sort later), as well as 4 road base plate packs. I have no immediate plans for the roads, but figured I could use them sometime.

My nearest LEGO store is in Disney Springs, which is about 45 minutes away. I'm not gonna make a trek down there just for those. Guess I'll just hope to get lucky at Target, or end up buying them online. Thanks for the info.

Barnes and Noble stores should have them tomorrow. Go there when they open to look for them, as I don't think many people will be going there to find them. That should give you a good amount to pick from.

Ponn

Banned
The Lonely Mountain has a bunch of sand green. I bought it for Smaug and it's still unopened in my backlog. I'll probably use the bricks in a MOC someday as the set seems underwhelming.

Yea the bricks and parts are great in that set. Also the figs and their accessories really pop with translucent pieces. The build itself looks pretty good when done, I have it part of my LoTR shelf and makes a neat little scene with the Moria set and the throne room.

Yes, Batzarro is king because he is world's dumbest detective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom