• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some of the photos I took at the LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Arizona. I think it's all in the Miniland area which represents the Phoenix area.

Those are impressive builds.

I think Dimensions does better because it draws people who don't just buy it for the game. Like I buy certain packs for the minifigs and I don't play the game. I know a bunch of people like this. Now I know infinity probably had a similar thing happening but I am sure it was at a much smaller scale. I think the fact that LEGO as a medium already exists and is hugely popular and this is just an extension makes for a much larger market than just gamers or figurine collectors

I agree with you that there are a lot of people that do that including myself. I hope to play the games, but I really bought the Dimension packs for the minifigs. The only thing is I don't think people like that make up a significant demographic to make a difference in sale numbers. Just like AFOL's even with their purchases of thousands of $$$ a year make up a very small percent of LEGO sales.

I think Dimensions does better because it draws people who don't just buy it for the game. Like I buy certain packs for the minifigs and I don't play the game. I know a bunch of people like this. Now I know infinity probably had a similar thing happening but I am sure it was at a much smaller scale. I think the fact that LEGO as a medium already exists and is hugely popular and this is just an extension makes for a much larger market than just gamers or figurine collectors
Yeah while I am sure there are some cross purchase I don't know if it is that significant. I got the game on sales and majority of the Dimensions set on huge discounts. I can't imagine any toys to life game is doing great, they are glutting the market. And as much as I would like Dimension to do better anecdotes evidence suggest other wise. All my local stores have pegs full of them and both local Walmart and Fred constantly put them on sale. The game was fun but I got bore real quick and the gimmick of moving the figures around the pad got really annoying so much so that I stop playing.

I think I've messed up somewhere on Slave 1. Coming into the last 2 bags and completed the left hand side fascia and there's a big gap running between the the top and the side that I've just put on. Can't for the life of me see where I've gone wrong. Quite a bit of the internal structure is easy to get to, but if it's inside the base that's wrong then it's going to take an awful lot of dissembling.

Nervous about the future of Dimensions with todays Disney Infinity cancellation. I feel like toys to life bubble is starting to burst and its so hard to tell if a series is doing good or not. I find it hard to believe Dimensions was doing good with all the deep discounts and price cuts its been getting.

Blimey, yeah, that's a bit of a blow :/ I wonder if this could open up the door for Star Wars in Dimensions though, that could give it a whole new lease of life...

Do we have any official statements on how Lego and WB view Dimensions? Is it performing at a satisfactory level despite the discounts? We don't tend to get the kind of steep cuts in the UK (and I presume the rest of Europe) that NA has had.

Interesting. New price point seems to be $11.99 for LEGO dimensions fun packs. I've been spoiled by the $7.50 sales and will hold out for Slimer to see if I can get it for under $9. Price seems much more reasonable at $12.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah, I noticed bestbuy.com was selling most of the packs at 11.99 as of recently, as the base price. Some are still 14.99, so they could still be in the process of updating.

Truth is, most people have caught on to the frequent sales and are NOT buying them at 14.99, which is a bit high.

I just hope it's a sign they are adjusting to the market needs and not a sign that the game is winding down. After Disney Infinity closed, I would like to see LEGO Dimensions come back strong this year and soak up some of that market share. Can't wait to see what they are giving us in the new expansion content.

Interesting. New price point seems to be $11.99 for LEGO dimensions fun packs. I've been spoiled by the $7.50 sales and will hold out for Slimer to see if I can get it for under $9. Price seems much more reasonable at $12.

I also got them at 7.50 and luckily when I preordered Slimer it was at the sale price. I still think 12.99 is still pretty high for the fun pack. $9.99 would be a better price point and at the impulse buy level.

Dimensions is great fun in how they're mashing up IP:s in interesting ways and giving us small games for franchises that wouldn't fill a complete game on their own (actually, I prefer getting a level of each rather than the bloatfest of the full games). It's also a "last chance" to get more LotR or Potter figures.

Still just a Lego game, but one of the best.

Eek, the technic Benz arocs is £50 off on Amazon U.K. Do I pull the trigger, even though I had no interest in it, but you filthy enablers have been praising it?

Edit: bought. Buy now, think later. :)

Gooooood choice =)

The Crawler Crane is down to £75 as well, so more Technic for me, ha! I've accidentally spent so much on Lego this last week and I don't even know how it happened.

Yeah, I noticed bestbuy.com was selling most of the packs at 11.99 as of recently, as the base price. Some are still 14.99, so they could still be in the process of updating.

Truth is, most people have caught on to the frequent sales and are NOT buying them at 14.99, which is a bit high.

I just hope it's a sign they are adjusting to the market needs and not a sign that the game is winding down. After Disney Infinity closed, I would like to see LEGO Dimensions come back strong this year and soak up some of that market share. Can't wait to see what they are giving us in the new expansion content.

Is Skylanders showing signs of waning in popularity? I'm actually shocked Disney with all their IP failed to gain enough market share to be profitable. Maybe it wasn't sales that was the issue, but costs to market and produce the games.

Can't wait for series 2 of Dimensions. Hope there are some big surprises we haven't heard yet.

Ponn

Banned

I also got them at 7.50 and luckily when I preordered Slimer it was at the sale price. I still think 12.99 is still pretty high for the fun pack. $9.99 would be a better price point and at the impulse buy level.

Yea, I had pre-ordered this last small wave of fun packs including Stay Puft and slimer on amazon when they popped. They price dropped over the months and then my double amazon prime discount hit them and I ended up getting each of them for about $3.50. If you have Prime I strongly suggest preordering any new sets they announce right away and waiting it out and watching your price magically drop absurdly low up to release.

Batpod

For those that are amoral in regards to knockoffs, seems like Decool has made a Batpod set. Will be interesting if it's a 1:1 copy or if they modified it due to not having all the same parts. I'm not interested in knockoff sets, just knockoff minifigs that are not made by LEGO or way too expensive in aftermarket.

Currently only 1 seller, but I imagine if it's a legit non-legit set there will be more soon.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Deco...icks-toys-children-best-gift/32662490517.html

If anyone needs older CMF, there's a seller on eBay selling for $5 each. Most of the rarer ones are sold, but at $5 shipped, most are cheaper than bricklink. PM me for their username. My first order should arrive tomorrow or Friday so I'll update this then.

Shoot, it's been so long since I used ebay, I think I have to re-register. The email address I would have used is probably dead.

My Slimer shipped from amazon from my pre-order finally. Final price was $6.88 based on the lowest listed price of $11.88 and a $5 off special.

Ponn

Banned
Inspired by recent events I booted up Dimensions and played the Ghostbusters level pack. I think giving yourself some time away from Dimensions makes it a bit more enjoyable to come back and play these new level packs instead of all at once because I was feeling that charm all over again. This was a great level pack, Dr. Who was my favorite but this right here has taken that spot. Nice length, varied stages covering the first movie and of course great music. Boss fight was really great, they really nailed the movie feel by kicking in a certain song at the exact right epic point. Reminded me of watching the cartoon series actually. The free play world is also really good. Captures the feel of the level pack and theme well, awesome Ghostbusters music cycling while you run through the world and nice call backs to both movies in the mini quests and settings. I was getting a cool feeling that they got inspiration from the Mixels line with certain interactions in the hub world, thats all I will say on that.

The builds are well worth it too, even if you have the Ecto-1 set. The Venkmann fig is updated and really cool looking. The mini Ecto-1 I at first look wasn't a fan of because of the half car look. After building it though it does look better in person and I really appreciate the build they came up with the limited pieces. The trap, meh, whatever they had to throw something else in. So yea even if you aren't playing the game this pack is worth picking up the fig and builds and I will go ahead and say the other Ghostbuster fun packs are worth it too. Oh also, not sure if this is well known or not but in free roam play you can cycle through all the Ghostbusters if you prefer playing as a certain one.

ghostmind

76056 Batman: Rescue from Ra's al Ghul

JPOtUO0.png

0lQ0qy7.png

Ponn

Banned
76056 Batman: Rescue from Ra's al Ghul

JPOtUO0.png

0lQ0qy7.png

Well, I like three of the figs and....not much else. The scorpion is kinda cool I guess

$40 apparently

You gotta be fucking kidding me. Shit this is gonna be one of those sets bricklinking Talia and Ras will be about the same as just getting the damn set isn't it. Damn it.

70596 Samurai X Cave Chaos

rvu5zaa.jpg

XwWc7ew.jpg

Yup, i'm definitely getting to add onto my '66 Batcave. It will be glorious.

Ponn

Banned
I'm just not seeing a $40 set there. $5 per minifig + a $20 set?

$25 tops. Oil prices are way down. Didn't LEGO just do price hikes a year or two ago. Frickin 33% on CMFs.

That Bat Buggy, staircase build (unique pieces) and that door build are probably 300+ pieces plus 4 figs, 2 very unique and 1 unique Batman fig. It's actually pretty in line with other $40 sets I have to say unfortunately. If they would have left out either the Bat-Buggy or really stupid starcase/door build it could've been a $30 set but being 4 figs is probably what pushed it into the $40 range. Even Batharbor Pursuit with 3 figs was a $30 set.

That Bat Buggy, staircase build (unique pieces) and that door build are probably 300+ pieces plus 4 figs, 2 very unique and 1 unique Batman fig.
I was thinking the door was built but on closer inspection it looked to me like it's just 2 pieces on hinges?

Ponn

Banned
I was thinking the door was built but on closer inspection it looked to me like it's just 2 pieces on hinges?

I can't trust my eyes anymore but I see what looks like alot of 1 x 2 jumpers so i'm assuming the rest is going to be filled in by 1 x 1 and 1x2 flat brown pieces. It's probably a weak build behind the door that just isn't shown holding it all together.

I want to send a big thank you to Jimbro and the trade for Disney figures. I get a few sets I have been wanting for a bit, and he gets a bunch of figures without having to hunt them down and makes his kids happy too.

Everything is awesome!

Jimbro72

I want to send a big thank you to Jimbro and the trade for Disney figures. I get a few sets I have been wanting for a bit, and he gets a bunch of figures without having to hunt them down and makes his kids happy too.

Everything is awesome!

It is awesome! Thanks to you, too, for the big assist with the set of Disney figs and saving me some trouble trying to hunt them down, as well as the bonus polybag you included, which was an unexpected and pleasant surprise upon receiving today. Very cool of you!

It is awesome! Thanks to you, too, for the big assist with the set of Disney figs and saving me some trouble trying to hunt them down, as well as the bonus polybag you included, which was an unexpected and pleasant surprise upon receiving today. Very cool of you!

Thank Oneknightr for the polybag idea. He was the one that tossed one in on the last trade I did, and I thought that was such a cool and awesome thing to do. A nice surprise, almost like a cool stocking stuffer at christmas.

And now we just need to see pics of Disney characters infiltrating your massive Star Wars collection.

It does look like it has trans green 1x2 flat tiles, which I think are new. Still terrible though.

I think it looks more like trans neon green. Gives that Lazarus pit a bit more glow.

That Bat Buggy, staircase build (unique pieces) and that door build are probably 300+ pieces plus 4 figs, 2 very unique and 1 unique Batman fig. It's actually pretty in line with other $40 sets I have to say unfortunately. If they would have left out either the Bat-Buggy or really stupid starcase/door build it could've been a $30 set but being 4 figs is probably what pushed it into the $40 range. Even Batharbor Pursuit with 3 figs was a $30 set.

Alright, I'm getting greedy. I can see what you are saying. The build is probably very dense giving it a much smaller look. The grey hair printing on Ra's Al Ghuldur hair piece probably added $5.

New rule of thumb. Anything same size or smaller than a cheese slope should not factor into price per piece or count a 1/3 of a piece

I have no issue with the set design. I think it gives it sufficient play factor and sets the scene. Only the minifigs interest me, but I think design is good.

76048: Iron Skull Sub Attack
$30

76047: Black Panther Pursuit
$30

76059: Spider-Man: Doc Ock's Tentacle Trap
$40

76037: Rhino and Sandman Supervillain Team-up
$40

$40

I fixed my washing machine with a $10 switch and some bolts holding it together (can't pull it away from the wall without the sides falling off but that's a minor detail). So I can buy Lego again.

Went to the Lego store and they have the Disney figs in a trough at toddler height, which is cool cuz there were lots of kids enjoying the hunt, but I was dreading standing there hunched over.

Grabbed a bag, felt a rod, a rubbery pronged thing, and a big angled brick--got Maleficent on my first try! I thought about feeling for others for literally a second and then turned around and headed to the PAB wall. She was really all I wanted and what luck to grab her on the first try.

I sloppily filled a cup with 1x1 SNOT and some other stuff and headed home. Probably did very poorly on value there but I'm happy to get in and out fast.

Thank Oneknightr for the polybag idea. He was the one that tossed one in on the last trade I did, and I thought that was such a cool and awesome thing to do. A nice surprise, almost like a cool stocking stuffer at christmas.

And now we just need to see pics of Disney characters infiltrating your massive Star Wars collection.

Glad to share the Lego love! I have to admit that this is my favorite Lego forum. It really is all about sharing information, honest opinions, and helping out fellow AFOLs. Everything is definitely awesome here.

teeny

Are the Disney bags considered hard to find? My locals stores have tons of them...

It seems like it depends on the region you're in and the demand in that region. The Waterstones, Sainsbury's and WH Smiths near me have been cleared out and yet to be restocked. The other Sainsbury's haven't stocked them at all yet.

I think that US stores are just as spotty.

Also, I'm having the week from hell at work. Can't wait for the weekend, and feeling like a Lego pick me up is in order...

Are the Disney bags considered hard to find? My locals stores have tons of them...

I wish I had your problem. :) I haven't seen any at the two local Targets near me (Emeryville and Alameda, CA) but I don't have time to check every day. I did check as recent as yesterday though. I'm patient so I'm not rushing to pay a premium on them (yet). Haha

I know Zulithe found some a little before the 5/1 release date at the Target in Emeryville. I'm guessing they get cleaned out here as soon as they get any in.

Posting again, but I still have some Disney figures to trade. An almost complete set (only missing Alice), and then an extra of Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, Mickey, and the Genie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom