• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Meh to the Adventure Time stuff. I can just Bricklink the printed(?) parts and build my own for much cheaper, but they look bad all the same.

Does anyone else prefer to stand while building?
Yep. But with sorting trays and parts on surfaces all around the room sometimes it's more like dancing :D

kapowza

Looks a hell of a lot better than the ideas submission but I don't like Ice King at all. Maybe with the arms turned the other way around he'll look better.

Does Lego ever divulge who designs new pieces? Whoever came up with the Unikitty tail must be proud of themselves.

willp2003

I'd never even heard of adventure time before the ideas set, so that's an easy pass. The Caterham on the other hand.... Hopefully not long to wait.

As a fan of Adventure Time, i will probably have to get this...

Though i'd prefer them not to look like Minecraft figures, ah well, we will always have the Dimensions figs ;)

R-User!

Keep breaking down sets and organizing while I wait for it to arrive?

Nah... I don't think you should do that.

I feel like you know what my predictable answer is gonna be...

BAKE IN YOUR CAR ON YOUR WAY TO BASKING IN THE GLORY OF YOUR LEGO STORE AND BEHOLDING THE GLORY OF THE VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE!!!

But seriously, lol, you know what to do :p.

Dennis

Banned
With the LEGO Elves success, LEGO should do an anime Friends theme next.

28176055901_79a65aa646_n.jpg

LEGO Custom Miku Hatsune! by Chris Rozek, on Flickr

There would need to be Japanese school girl outfits off course.

LEGO Neon Genesis Evangelion

Get in the fucking lego, Shinji.

R-User!

Wait, was that the designer of Vacation Getaways and Blue Power Jet with a Star Wars helmet at the start there? Is he doing an UCS set?
Mother of god, if that is true, hype increasing.

I happened to pause it when his head was sideways, and it looked Rocketeeresque, not quite Star Wars from my knowledge of SW helmets. What do you think it looks like from the profile shot?

Anyone?

Edit: Voltron maybe?

I like adventure time but that set seems somewhat pointless and un Lego like.

A selection of small builds just doesn't appeal but would have bought a set with minifigs

mojiimbo

Has the Eurobricks guy done a review of the next series of minifigs yet? Seems like the release has been pushed up and they should be showing up at LEGO as soon as next week...

Also, seems like there's a new initiative where retailer(TRU/Target/Walmart) exclusives aren't going to be available at retail LEGO stores for the first couple of months, but they *will* be available through shop.lego.com. :(

As I wait for the Beetle to go on sale, I notice that the mini fig pack "What am I?" game is on sale for $31.99, while Resistance Troop Transport (aka one of the best sets of the year, and it would take a miracle to knock it off that list) is on sale for only $55.99.

ghostmind

Has the Eurobricks guy done a review of the next series of minifigs yet? Seems like the release has been pushed up and they should be showing up at LEGO as soon as next week...

Also, seems like there's a new initiative where retailer(TRU/Target/Walmart) exclusives aren't going to be available at retail LEGO stores for the first couple of months, but they *will* be available through shop.lego.com. :(

Nothing on the CMF Series 16 front. If they do release next week, it is going to catch many by surprise,

And boo to the exclusive news. I'm running out of reasons to deal with the crowds at my B&M LEGO store.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Hey there, LEGO artists! I have a question for you.

I teach at an elementary school, and the school's owner approached me today to see if I would be interested in building a model of the school out of LEGO that could be used as a display piece, both at the school and during off-site exhibitions and whatnot.

Of course, I said yes, but the owner was wondering if I could get a (very) rough estimate of what the bricks would cost to build such a model.

After a bit of discussion with her, it sounds like the model would be roughly modular sized, ideally with a full interior.

I know a few of you here have constructed your own modular buildings, so if you don't mind me asking--about how much did they end up costing you at the end of the day? Like I said, a very rough ballpark figure is fine. She just wants to make sure we're not gonna break the bank with our little model.

Hey there, LEGO artists! I have a question for you.

I teach at an elementary school, and the school's owner approached me today to see if I would be interested in building a model of the school out of LEGO that could be used as a display piece, both at the school and during off-site exhibitions and whatnot.

Of course, I said yes, but the owner was wondering if I could get a (very) rough estimate of what the bricks would cost to build such a model.

After a bit of discussion with her, it sounds like the model would be roughly modular sized, ideally with a full interior.

I know a few of you here have constructed your own modular buildings, so if you don't mind me asking--about how much did they end up costing you at the end of the day? Like I said, a very rough ballpark figure is fine. She just wants to make sure we're not gonna break the bank with our little model.
If it is going to be a display piece, does it really need a detailed interior? Unless it is opening up like Haunted House or Ghostbusters HQ, a detailed interior will be lost if it is stuck in a display case. Sacrificing the interior will cut down on the piece count considerably.

As for cost, it really depends on scale, colors, etc. It is obviously going to run a few hundred dollars, but might go down if you are able to get a major parts set like Tower Bridge or Big Ben for parts, and raid the PAB wall for other parts.

EDIT: Still impatiently waiting for LEGO to let me add the Beetle to my cart. Just tried on mobile and no go there either.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
If it is going to be a display piece, does it really need a detailed interior? Unless it is opening up like Haunted House or Ghostbusters HQ, a detailed interior will be lost if it is stuck in a display case. Sacrificing the interior will cut down on the piece count considerably.

As for cost, it really depends on scale, colors, etc. It is obviously going to run a few hundred dollars, but might go down if you are able to get a major parts set like Tower Bridge or Big Ben for parts, and raid the PAB wall for other parts.

The set won't be opening up, and the interior isn't going to be insanely detailed like the modulars or the other larger buildings--just enough to add a few classrooms with desks, and a slightly more detailed front desk/principal's office.

The primary color is going to be a light blue, as that's what the school is painting. So buying a larger set to break down for parts might not be feasible--at least, I can't think of any light blue-heavy set (well, maybe that new Beetle).

Buy yeah, certainly not looking for a true cost, just a range that I can present her. She'll be happy with just, "These guys I sorta know online built similar sized buildings for X, Y, and Z dollars."

The set won't be opening up, and the interior isn't going to be insanely detailed like the modulars or the other larger buildings--just enough to add a few classrooms with desks, and a slightly more detailed front desk/principal's office.

The primary color is going to be a light blue, as that's what the school is painting. So buying a larger set to break down for parts might not be feasible--at least, I can't think of any light blue-heavy set (well, maybe that new Beetle).

Buy yeah, certainly not looking for a true cost, just a range that I can present her. She'll be happy with just, "These guys I sorta know online built similar sized buildings for X, Y, and Z dollars."

It would be a few hundred dollars at least. Have a picture of the school by chance?
Easier way to understand cost would be to find the color you need on brick link on parts, and figure out rough estimate from there. Light blue isn't exactly a plentiful color either, which drives up the cost some too. At least for larger bricks to build a modular with.

And the several hundred estimate is just an extremely rough estimate if we are going with a modular sized building. Then are they wanting to pay for time to actually design and build it? Probably not, so I wouldn't include that in the estimate.

EDIT: Looked up the school online. (Wont say what it is, but did use the info for where you wanted those Disney figures sent to. :)). Looks like a cool design, and pretty basic, so wouldn't need any crazy bricks or anything to pull it off. A few hundred seems like a good estimate since the outer design of the building is rather flat without a lot of embellishment.

No, some are minifig packs.

Speaking of minifig packs, I just picked up Fun in the Park set.
It even states in the set name "city people pack"

excited about the black hotdogs

That isn't the first time they made burnt sausages. I already have a few. Not sure if I got it via bricklink or a set. According to bricklink it has only been in 1 set so far.
http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=1827#T=C

I can't imagine why LEGO doesn't make the sausages in "flesh" color anymore.

I like adventure time but that set seems somewhat pointless and un Lego like.

A selection of small builds just doesn't appeal but would have bought a set with minifigs

I understand the lack of appeal to a lot of people, but I think the builds are very LEGO-like.

Beetle now saying: "VIP Members: If you would like to purchase this set but don’t see the Add To Bag button below, please sign in to your account."

Um, I am signed in. I even signed out then back in and still nothing.

Koren

It would be a few hundred dollars at least. [...]
And the several hundred estimate is just an extremely rough estimate if we are going with a modular sized building.
I'm quite new to bricklinking, but one of the things I check first is the availability of bricks to build the walls, and their price.

So I checked 1x8, 1x6, 1x4 and 1x2 in light blue: there's no 1x6 or 1x4 in light blue, and barely three dozen of 1x8 in ALL shops together. It simply won't be doable in light blue.

Dark azure is surprisingly cheap for 1x2 in huge quantities (it appeared on the wall?), but hasn't 1x1 (or 1x1 tile), which could be a big problem.

Would med azure fit? This color has basic bricks available, for affordable prices, although not a lot of variety. You'll miss SNOT pieces, if there's tricky things to do on the building.

You can use "Give Me a Brick" shop on Bricklink if you want to *see* available pieces... they're insanely expensive, but they have the largest selection I know, so it has some use (also, it could be useful to find rare pieces, if not for the minimum buy...)

You could probably do a two-storey building the size of two modulars (would it be enough?) including some inside walls with 100$ of normal bricks. Obviously, there's plently of other costs involved, but if at least you can find the wall, that's a good start, you can't build a model for a decent price if you can't find the bricks in the color you choose, because you won't be able to substitute those.

I'd say it can indeed be done for X hundreds of dollars in med azure, depending on the size, and if it's quite plain. But in any other light bluish color, that would trickier.

I think can be a comparison. This is a model of an existing building.

http://imgur.com/oTIHOLp

It took weeks to design, and 12 hours for 14 people to build. It includes 17000 parts, even though it's just an empty shell. It was built in collaboration with Lego, so the parts were free. But it was estimated that it would have cost about $10000 if it had been contracted to a professional builder.

Just saying.

kapowza

someone on 4chan suggested the colour choices on the castle might be to represent how it looks lit up at night. I still don't like the two-tone, but at least that would make some sense.

Cinderella-Castle-at-night-walt-disney-world-818760_300_300.jpg

Koren

I still don't like the two-tone
I can understand, but which color would you have used for the upper part?

I mean, the color is somewhere between ivory and salmon, depending on the material (even by day)... it's hard to convert it in Lego colors.

It took weeks to design, and 12 hours for 14 people to build. It includes 17000 parts, even though it's just an empty shell. It was built in collaboration with Lego, so the parts were free. But it was estimated that it would have cost about $10000 if it had been contracted to a professional builder.
Assuming you're ready to make some substitutions to avoid expensive parts, it would be only 1/4 of this price if you talk only about the parts, though.

That's still a lot, but without taking into account the size, it's really difficult to give an estimation, anyway. This one is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom