• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Candy kingdom Lego set > Disney castle Lego set

Do it Lego , they have so many playset ideas from adventure time

Finns and jakes treehouse would be a great build

hmmblah

Got on chat support with Lego:

We're experiencing a bit of a system issue on the online LEGO® Shop, but we're working hard to fix it. We're able to take a phone order for that cool new set, if you'd like to give us a call. But we hope to have the online issue resolved soon.

Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Adventure time set is good news, but I was hoping for something more like that :
1b5b3b31861281.566443d4cdb81.jpg

(from volatile vertex on behance : https://www.behance.net/Volatile-Vertex)

hmmblah

The issue with adding the Beetle to bag seems to be fixed now. I was able to order it. Had $95 in VIP points so it was pretty cheap. ;)

will there ever be star wars mini figure packs? seems like a no brainer to me

Can't and won't happen. The closest you get is the battle packs. Even if Lego had a license for single figures (they don't, that would be an "action figure" and that is owned by Hasbro), they wouldn't sell them because they make tons of money selling sets with figures.

Koren

I mean the show is popular, but It's no Simpsons or Disney. A CMF line wouldn't have done very well.

edit: I don't even know half of those characters and i've seen a couple episodes.
Also, isn't it still north-america-centric? I haven't *heard* about it before seing it discussed here...

It's aired here, but only since january on a free channel, and I've yet to see anything in shops.

Seems like it is only for numbers which is more universal than letters. Maybe loop hole would be something like roman numerals. Letters would work, but wouldn't be universal for all languages.

Adventure time set is good news, but I was hoping for something more like that :
1b5b3b31861281.566443d4cdb81.jpg

(from volatile vertex on behance : https://www.behance.net/Volatile-Vertex)

Glorious. Shows how Jake would look better with that type of head mould instead of one that can rotate in Dimensions pack.

Koren

Seems like it is only for numbers which is more universal than letters. Maybe loop hole would be something like roman numerals. Letters would work, but wouldn't be universal for all languages.
Patents are always unreadable, but it seems to me that cover any way to differenciate the bags and associate bags to intructions... Where have you seen that it's for numbers?

mrkgoo

So.... I need that beetle.

This is what it's like, right?

The "dark ages" refers to the period in your life where you didn't buy Lego. With the recent boom in Lego popularity, there is no doubt a renaissance in Lego collecting/purchasing/playing that is perhaps bigger than it has ever been.

But coming out begins with a small set.

Then you buy some more. They may follow a theme you seem interesting or perhaps just a personal restriction. Maybe because of money.

Then you get more and more. You expand your themes. You explore others and soon your collection takes up a corner of a room.

You start building your own things, packs of minifigs are like a weekly or maybe even daily pack of candy/junk food or other vice. But they're just snacks. You look forward to saving for those mid range sets.

Soon, money isn't the thing you think about any more and it's space. You make that ice-breaking purchase of a hundred to couple hundred dollar set.

Now you're reading previews of new sets and rumours, looking forward to ones that are not even out.

Help me.

I would be like that but I don't have a job and am in college so I rely on the entertainment money my parents give me which only lets me get a couple small sets each month. Only problem is I dont have any left over to actually do stuff.... lol

When I get a job if I make 40k or something (arbitrary number) I'll pretend I'm making 39k

valkyre

Could a Lego Gaffer help a bit with Temple of Arjitzu set?

I want to know the tallest point of this set in order to determine if it fits my display. The main tower looks quite tall, so if someone here who has the set built could measure the height i would appreciate it. Thanks!

Just picked up my VW. In conversation with associates at my store informed me the MSRP for the new Death Star will be $500.

Please take that with a grain of salt.

I want to know the tallest point of this set in order to determine if it fits my display. The main tower looks quite tall, so if someone here who has the set built could measure the height i would appreciate it. Thanks!
Lego site says 20" high. Also, the footprint is about exact to a 48x48 plate.

Patents are always unreadable, but it seems to me that cover any way to differenciate the bags and associate bags to intructions... Where have you seen that it's for numbers?

You are correct. I skimmed it quickly and searched on word number. Can't blame for not wanted to read the whole thing. :)
Did another quick skim and found this:

"The bag may be identified by means of numbers, letters, colours, pictures and the like."

Ponn

Banned
This has been a hell of a week for me, rollercoaster of emotions. I mentioned somewhere my brother died last nov. before I had a chance to tell him stuff I needed to I never really considered him a brother and its a complex and horrible thing i don't really want to go into or put on anyone here. I did find out a couple months ago that he apparently had a kid he never told anyone in the family about, so I now have a nephew. And he was abandoned by my brother and was told he didn't have family by him. So he was excited to find out that was a lie and already met my sister who said she was astounded to find out he was actually just like me and not my brother (that weirded me right out). I took it to mean he was into video games or comics, basic geek stuff. Come to find out after I talked to him some, yea he is into that stuff, but apparently he is really into building Lego as well and has a room full of models. So I have my box full of catastrophe from a couple weeks ago and i'm going to save it. Once i have things finally settled where I am now I planned on moving closer to my sister and that just happens to be where he is. So maybe he can help his new Uncle piece this stuff together and it may end up cathartic for the both of us.

I did go through my backlog also and put some stuff up for sale locally. Smaller, medium sets like Avengers Towers, Quinjet 2.0 and some oop stuff like Grand Emporium and Tumbler. I bagged up the rest of my LoTR stuff I had on display except for Orthanc which will forever stay on my wall. It felt weird since that was the theme that pulled me back into Lego from a very long dark age (like middle school).

Koren

Congrats on finding a nephew, Ponn. I'm sure you'll enjoy rebuilding together...

Can't wait my own nephew is old enough for Legos. I'm already "in love" with this small guy, although playing with a 1 y.o. is a bit... underwhelming.

Lego site says 20" high.
I've found 16" / 42cm for height in both french and US site?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
It would be a few hundred dollars at least. Have a picture of the school by chance?
Easier way to understand cost would be to find the color you need on brick link on parts, and figure out rough estimate from there. Light blue isn't exactly a plentiful color either, which drives up the cost some too. At least for larger bricks to build a modular with.

And the several hundred estimate is just an extremely rough estimate if we are going with a modular sized building. Then are they wanting to pay for time to actually design and build it? Probably not, so I wouldn't include that in the estimate.

EDIT: Looked up the school online. (Wont say what it is, but did use the info for where you wanted those Disney figures sent to. :)). Looks like a cool design, and pretty basic, so wouldn't need any crazy bricks or anything to pull it off. A few hundred seems like a good estimate since the outer design of the building is rather flat without a lot of embellishment.

Thanks for the feedback, Phoney. And yeah, the school's interesting, yet relatively simple design is what got me hyped for building this thing. I've never attempted a build of this scale before, and I figured that this could be a good starting point. I just hope it doesn't awaken something in me--a "spend several hundred dollars on a regular basic to build my own modulars" thing.

I just want to put some of the techniques I've seen in recent sets to use to make something kinda cool looking.

Congrats on finding a nephew, Ponn. I'm sure you'll enjoy rebuilding together...

Can't wait my own nephew is old enough for Legos. I'm already "in love" with this small guy, although playing with a 1 y.o. is a bit... underwhelming.

I've found 16" / 42cm for height in both french and US site?
Just got home and measured. 17" high at highest point. Well, just under that.

A while back I decide to bricklink my first set, 3723 Lego Minifigure. I've got most of the pieces so far but I need some help. I found a MOC version of the set that has poseable legs like a regular minifigure (!) and I've decided that I want to do the same. Here's the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=339985

I've never done a MOC before so I need some help figuring out the pieces the person used to attach the legs to the groin (for lack of a better word) area. Any help is much appreciated. I think I can figure out the rest by looking at the pictures. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I looked at the pieces used for Giant Man in the Civil War set but I'm not sure if those technic pins will be strong enough.

056-mechafig-06_zpsthhfg5at.jpg

Probably just regular technic axles used to connect. Or those pins with a 2x pin and axle on one end. But don't see that holding that kind of weight. Not sure without digging.

It could just be a longer technic axle with no grip running through it all. Or the large ball joint pieces masked by all the bricks around it.

Probably just regular technic axles used to connect. Or those pins with a 2x pin and axle on one end. But don't see that holding that kind of weight. Not sure without digging.

It could just be a longer technic axle with no grip running through it all. Or the large ball joint pieces masked by all the bricks around it.

A long technic axle might work. I'm not familiar ball joints and searched bricklink for them. Are you referring to the bionicle ones?

A long technic axle might work. I'm not familiar ball joints and searched bricklink for them. Are you referring to the bionicle ones?
One's like used in Morro Dragon, or the click joints like in creator sets. If I get off mobile I will search for links. But they could be easily hidden in that mass of bricks and offer actual grip and support unlike a single technic axle.

Edit:
Like this
4497253.jpg

4619760.jpg

Or the click joints like this:
4227395.jpg

4522784.jpg

6097288.jpg

Images pulled from Eradicator Mech.

One's like used in Morro Dragon, or the click joints like in creator sets. If I get off mobile I will search for links. But they could be easily hidden in that mass of bricks and offer actual grip and support unlike a single technic axle.

Edit:
Like this
4497253.jpg

4619760.jpg

Or the click joints like this:
4227395.jpg

4522784.jpg

6097288.jpg

Images pulled from Eradicator Mech.

Thanks Phon! That's very helpful.

Welp, I was already gonna get the new Ghostbusters set but after seeing the movie I need it NOW. I can't wait to have them displayed with my GB84 sets. Movie blew me away.

I mean the show is popular, but It's no Simpsons or Disney. A CMF line wouldn't have done very well.

edit: I don't even know half of those characters and i've seen a couple episodes.

The figures are beautiful but even as someone who's seen 6 of the 7 seasons, some of those picks are fuckin mental. I mean, BMO's creator? Seriously? And I love Prismo but come on, he's in like three episodes. Candy King, Party Pat? Even Glob is such a weird choice. It's like the person who made these tried their absolute hardest to pick anything they could over the gender-swapped characters. You could ditch like half of those and replace them with Fionna, Cake, Prince Gumball, Ice Queen, and Marshall Lee. Also there's no Lumpy Space Princess, so you gotta throw her and her swap Lumpy Space Prince in there too. And Peppermint Butler. C'mon!

I also think it'd be amazing (and a great way to entice people to actually collect the entire set) if they had some characters' accessories be parts of Lady Rainicorn and Lord Monochromicorn. Collect them all to build them.

If they ever did a set it should be:

1. Finn with sword
2. Jake with BMO
3. Princess Bubblegum with a beaker
4. Marceline with her guitar
5. Lumpy Space Princess with a cellphone
6. Ice King with Gunter
7. Flame Princess
8. Fionna with sword
9. Cake with dulcimer
10. Prince Gumball with whatever
11. Marshall Lee with whatever
12. Lumpy Space Prince with whatever
13. Ice Queen with those trans-blue zappy parts
14. Flame Prince
15. Banana Guard with staff (this would be the army builder fig of the bunch and is genderless so it works for both sets)
16. The Lich with Snail

Or they could replace the Lich with Peppermint Butler, and then like Simpsons and Disney do a D2C set of Finn and Jake's treehouse and have it comes with alternate versions of Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, a brick-built Lady Rainicorn, and The Lich.

valkyre

Guys as we are approaching 40th anniversary of Star Wars, do you have any idea if we are going to get anything UCS related special? ( I know about the upcoming Snowspeeder UCS, i am talking about something really special)

On the 30th anniversary we got the Millenium Falcon UCS...

Anyone can guess what we might get now?

I am looking to build a reasonably large truss bridge. I have done some research, and it seems I will need a plethora of 1x14 Technic bricks. Is Bricklink my best bet, or would there be a better way to get about 100?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Two Sariel reviews of ”big" Technic sets for 2016:

42054 CLAAS XERION 5000 TRAC VC
https://youtu.be/WEAHq7391GM

42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator
https://youtu.be/-HzpOg_PmSI

Ahhh...I was looking at these 2 technic for this year.....i simply have no interest in that bucket wheel excavator. But that Xerion..wow...that's something amazing. I might just get the Xerion.

Meanwhile, I have like 7 flagship technic models still unbuild. Lol

getting ready to buy my first big set in a couple years.... can't decide between grabbing a modular or the airjitzu temple, or possibly bricklinking something insane. I guess i should squint real hard at our collection and try to visualize what would make our lego scenes badass and/or adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom