• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Brickheads look cute. Didn't MegaBlock do something similar?

Eyup, Kubros or something like that. They had He-Man and Halo figures. I'm surprised to see Lego copying another company like that. Not blaming them, they have the better licenses for this type of thing. I like the Dr. Strange one.

Brickheadz. Haha

CnaXqb3XgAAA0Ll.jpg

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/753959826896613376

Love the use of the Unikitty tail for the Superman curl.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Love the use of the Unikitty tail for the Superman curl.

Hah! Good catch. I hadn't even noticed that.
It's incredible to me how many uses they've found for that tail, when it seems like such a specific, single-use piece at first glance.

Those really remind me of pixel art indie games on mobile. Look miles better than the megabloks equivalents.

Which ones are SDCC exclusives? All of them?

Guys as we are approaching 40th anniversary of Star Wars, do you have any idea if we are going to get anything UCS related special? ( I know about the upcoming Snowspeeder UCS, i am talking about something really special)

On the 30th anniversary we got the Millenium Falcon UCS...

Anyone can guess what we might get now?
Maybe the UCS Death Star is the big one planned for the 40th?

Even if it comes out this year it'll still be available for 2017.

Im curious to see what it looks like. They've already done the Death Star 2 (which I didn't love the look of), and the Death Star with the little dioramas, so I'm not sure what else
there is to do for it. Then again, they've made a dozen Millennium Falcon sets, so I'm sure they'll find a way to come up with some new stuff for it.

Exclusives until 2017 x the sdcc sticker

People are dumb and love to have that sticker on funkos
You should just wait until 2017

Will pick up each set I guess

Jimbro72

Then why'd they say "We’re celebrating with #LEGOSDCC Exclusives!"?

They'll be made available now in very limited quantities and probably in convention exclusive packaging at SDCC but it doesn't sound like the models themselves will be exclusive, they just won't be available to the public until 2017.

Ah thanks guys. Might get some of those, hope they arent two packs though.

I only have $30 to spend on lego for the next month or two and I'm deciding between the kings mech and Ninjago's Chain Cycle Ambush. I actually want the kings mech more but the Chain Cycle is listed as retiring soon. Anyone have that set? Is it worth not getting the kings mech yet?

Welp, I'll be getting all of those. If they continue with those and make it a new line like those Funko figures, I'm screwed.

It's a certain style much like the Cube Dudes or Darlings.

Brickheads look cute. Didn't MegaBlock do something similar?

Yes. It's under their collector line. It's a step closer to competing with LEGO IMO. It give Mega Bloks some design cred.

Glad they are doing a full release next year. That is how they should do those exclusives.

EXACTLY!!! All LEGO needs to do is add some exclusive printed pieces or base plates with exclusive packaging and people will still go after them as collectibles. Until then, I'm very sad I can't get Captain Whitebread and the other super hero exclusive minifigs.

EDIT: I think I like Brickheadz as the new nickname for FOLs (Fans of LEGO).

Jimbro72

I wonder if eventually we'll see these brickheadz being introduced in the Star Wars line. There's certainly no shortage for characters there.

Jimbro72

I would love to see those, but the SW license is such a minefield I'm not sure it is possible.

I wouldn't mind seeing it, too, but then I think about how I don't really need yet another sub line I'd want to collect so I won't be too upset if it never happens. My wallet will be relieved.

I've been keeping fairly quiet in the last couple of weeks as we suffered an unexpected loss in the family. The service was yesterday and I finally feel like I can breathe again. I really haven't bought much this year but I felt it was time to give Red Five someone to sit next to. Off to the closet of shame for you, UCS Tie.

Oh that box doesn't look too big. I thought it was bigger than UCS Slave 1. I'm still not sure where I'm going to put it. My Closet of Shame has spilled out into Shelves and Floors of Shame.

hah I was just going to post this I'd buy all of them if they veer into Star Wars

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just like Those Funko figures that have made figures of most popular culture IPs. Id be all over different IPs in that format.

I would love to see those, but the SW license is such a minefield I'm not sure it is possible.

We can only hope. They technically are building blocks, but just like Hasbro convinced judges that minfigs are action figures in that lawsuit against LEGO, maybe brockheadz can be classified as static figures like those Funko ones. SMH. Speaking of Funko, I believe they have to make some of those figures as bobble heads because they don't have license for them as figures or action figures. Something like that.

Fowler

I've been keeping fairly quiet in the last couple of weeks as we suffered an unexpected loss in the family. The service was yesterday and I finally feel like I can breathe again. I really haven't bought much this year but I felt it was time to give Red Five someone to sit next to. Off to the closet of shame for you, UCS Tie.

Sorry man. Glad you're doing better...

Maengun1

Yesss, my Wal-Mart finally put pretty much everything from Star Wars 2015 waves on clearance, which I always wait for with SW lego. Picked up the First Order TIE and the ROTJ Final Duel sets today (my first Palpatine fig <3) for $108. The resistance troop transport was only $49, and it hadn't been on my radar until I heard the raves here, but I didn't pull the trigger on that one since I was buying two sets already. I figure I'll leave it up to fate, if it's still there next time I stop by in a few days, I'll probably grab it.

Yesss, my Wal-Mart finally put pretty much everything from Star Wars 2015 waves on clearance, which I always wait for with SW lego. Picked up the First Order TIE and the OT Final duel sets today (my first Palpatine fig finally <3) for $108. The resistance troop transport was only $49, and it hadn't been on my radar until I heard the raves here, but I didn't pull the trigger on that one since I was buying two sets already. I figure I'll leave it up to fate, if it's still there next time I stop by in a few days, I'll probably grab it.
Great haul, and YOU FOOL! You left the best set behind.

ericb!

Neo Member
Did anyone else see Jason Allemann's LEGO kinetic sculpture of Sisyphus on Jeopardy this evening?

Answer: The Lego kinetic sculpture of this mythological figure shows his rock rolling punishment in Hades.

Very cool. I built the sculpture earlier this year. It took a good number of bricklink orders, but was well worth it.

Ponn

Banned

Sorry about your loss, take your time and maybe dive into that UCS Tie. Building should help take your mind off of things and give you a reprieve.

That UCS Tie deal on Walmart and Amazon was probably the deal of the year. Completely odd for a UCS to get a discount like that.

Decided to get the kings mech and damn he's cool. Finally a Lego mech with knee articulation! That's been a big complaint of mine and one of the reasons I liked the exo suit. Articulation on the kings mech is good, expecially since they arent using those ratcheted joints ( I hate those). Only problems are the shield arm flopping around in certain positions due to the weight of the shield, and also you have to re adjust the shoulder pads when you move the arms up and down or they'll pop off.

Overall he looks great and is probably my favorite mech I've gotten from Lego. If you put his 'wings' upright it looks like something out of gundam. I like the little wind up knob detail on the back lol. I initially didn't like the nexo knights color scheme but it works well in person. The little enemy cross bow looks nice too for what it is. And damn, nexo knights has so many new pieces. It's kind of ridiculous but they all seem very useful and aren't too specialized.

In light of recent Brickheadz announcement, this was posted in a comment.
I can't wait for a Snoopy collection in that style. "Charlie Brown, you Blockheadz!"

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102084

1903256-o_19kmppbsbi8f1t5g17h61ogi10dc7-full.jpg

EDIT: Also the rumored price for the Brickheadz is $40 for a set of 2 which indicate they are sold in pairs, at least at SDCC. At $20 a pop, I would not buy them at that price, but I think it's because they are limited editions at SDCC. $10 is the most I would spend for 1 of those and that's overpriced IMO. I can deal with $6-7 per figure price if parts are printed and not using stickers.

EDIT 2: Seems like idea may have started with Austin Carlson who is now a LEGO designer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126850072@N03/

16605074106_b091723736_n.jpg
15843015934_8af454ee35_n.jpg

It's not like the block style like that is super original or anything. It's simply coincidence IMO regarding the LEGO Ideas project and Brickheadz. Austin created versions of Brickheadz before that LEGO ideas project anyway. Guy in glasses photo was taken July 24, 2014.

He has a cool Appa microbuild for Avatar the Last Airbender fans.
16277639809_eef20753af_n.jpg

EDIT 3: No idea what this says, but here's what other characters and IPs may look like.
http://www.freelug.org/spip.php?article2127

Ah, these are by the same guy that submitted LEGO ideas project.
Here's more of his stuff:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106185

The interesting thing about the Brickheadz and Kubros is that Angus MacLane, a Pixar guy and massive Lego fan (designer of the WALL-E set too!), has been doing builds like this forever. People have been flooding his Twitter about Lego and MegaBloks ripping him off. His latest tweet is actually in response to the Brickheadz announcement:

Angus MacLane said:

I wonder how long he's been doing them? I feel like I've been seeing him post them for ages now but I don't know how to even begin searching for when he started. Would be pretty shitty if Lego were ripping him off, or if the guy in the post above mind started making them after seeing MacLane's and then got hired at Lego and made them official.

Edit: His are called CubeDudes. Someone first told him about Taiwanese knockoffs back in April, here which prompted someone else to point out that MegaBloks had done it too here.

Edit 2: Ah, found an article about them. MacLane has been making them since 2009.

But it's an obvious idea.

I don't mean to imply he's the first person ever to do it, and even if he was he builds his faces at an angle while the others are straight-on. I'm just sharing that on Twitter a lot of his followers and even he himself seem to think this trend is because of him.

Edit: Though to be fair the Taiwanese ones are unquestionably ripoffs of his. The MegaBloks look similar except the head is rotated to be flat instead of on the angle, and the Lego ones are "chibi" with square heads instead of rectangles. It's like a game of telephone hahahaha.

I'm just happy that I'm completely uninterested in these, as in the Funko figures. I'm already tired of that look in games, and making a ton of characters fit into a super deformed mold isn't clever anymore. I'd rather have more minifigs where they can add all kinds of stuff to a basic body - although I guess the general idea is actually the same there.

Cool if it adds more parts like the black kitty tail. Cue Ninja Kitty.

valkyre

I am not much into technic sets anymore but I have a friend who loves them and I am thinking of getting him the 42039 24 hours Race Car set.

Is it a good worthwhile set/build?

I was checking on Bricks & Pieces for the new blade part for Nexo, to see if I can make a few more custom weapons - and it turns out they've refreshed the inventory. All kinds of new parts are available, except obviously most licensed prints.

Made a huge order for web handles, unprinted Nexo shields, sushi tiles, some minifig parts and two complete (albeit expensive) Raganas, plus a bunch more of new parts. Guess I won't need to get that set now.

The only one I couldn't get was the tassle from the new Ninjago sets. That damn thing was more than $4 on its own!

I don't know if I caught it before scalpers caught on or if the generally high prices are set to scare off investors. Either way it's great for me - to pay a premium to not have to buy a bunch of useless extra sets.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I like the idea of Brickheadz, but I don't particularly care for Marvel/DC superheroes, or the black-beaded-Funko-style eyes. I'd be replacing those with Mixel eyes.

Those Brickheadz look really bad to me. They look extremely cheap and unfinished to me. What got me back in to Lego was something very similar from Diamond blocks (iblocks), which are way more pleasing to the eyes.
s-l300.jpg

For me it makes TLG look really bad and it gives them a knockoff / conpetition copycat image.

Those Brickheadz look really bad to me. They look extremely cheap and unfinished to me. What got me back in to Lego was something very similar from Diamond blocks (iblocks), which are way more pleasing to the eyes.
s-l300.jpg

For me it makes TLG look really bad and it gives them a knockoff / conpetition copycat image.

I'd like those better if there werent so many exposed studs. Looks way too messy. I'm not really sure how you go about doing these types of figures in brick form, I think you have to do it in a "cube" way so that it has a more unified style and looks sleeker. But the brickheadz ones look a little odd to me, in the same way that the funko pop ones look odd. Maybe it's because they're using a similar beady eye style. I haaaate those.

Ponn

Banned

Their timing coming out after all these other ones, even chinese knockoff companies making similar ones in their attempts at original type sets makes them look copycat. My main issue though is that damn z on the end of Blockheadz. I thought we were finally out of the 90's and those horrible attempts to be hip and cool.

Their timing coming out after all these other ones, even chinese knockoff companies making similar ones in their attempts at original type sets makes them look copycat. My main issue though is that damn z on the end of Blockheadz. I thought we were finally out of the 90's and those horrible attempts to be hip and cool.

Yeah, the naming also just sounds like a knockoff brick company. This is just a terrible idea in my opinion. Surprised to see so many positive reactions here and on Brickset.

Fowler

They just announced that Grand Admiral Thrawn will be part of the next season of Star Wars Rebels.

LEGO makes Star Wars Rebels sets.

So this means it's fairly likely that we will get an official Grand Admiral Thrawn minifig, which... I don't even think I can come close to expressing how excited I am about that.

They just announced that Grand Admiral Thrawn will be part of the next season of Star Wars Rebels.

LEGO makes Star Wars Rebels sets.

So this means it's fairly likely that we will get an official Grand Admiral Thrawn minifig, which... I don't even think I can come close to expressing how excited I am about that.

I don't care at all for Rebels, but a Thrawn might be worth it.

Watch him be in the next $150+ Star Destroyer only :D

Fowler

I don't care at all for Rebels, but a Thrawn might be worth it.

Watch him be in the next $150+ Star Destroyer only :D

Yeah, I don't care about Rebels either, but... Thrawn!!!!!!!

Thankfully HK has a bunch of minifig shops, so even if he's in a big $100+ set it won't cost me that much :p

Koren

Same here.

I can't say how much I hate Disney for throwing away the EU like they did, with so many good characters in it (I'd say two dozen characters in the EU are better than characters of the original movies, to me...)

Seeing Thrawn again is great news, and I'd buy his minifig in a heartbeat even if I don't care that much about minifigs.

Speaking of Thrawn, a MOC I loved about EU:
14951203633_b05f204009_b.jpg

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101511

I love it, because i recognized it instantly, without even the slightest clue, and I've only read the book. I find impressive that you can recreate with bricks something described by words as faithfully as that!

Ponn

Banned
Was that rumor of double vip points in august still a rumor or has that got some substance now? I thinned out my backlog today and now have enough for the Disney Castle next month (Yea, that sounds pretty dumb but from a display and build perspective the trade off makes sense for me) and it would be neat to get double vip points on it. I'm putting an end to buying Superhero sets for figs and instead bricklinking them. The only set out of this next wave i'm actually going to get is the Spider-man bridge but I can wait for an Amazon sale on it. The Disney Castle i'm much more worried about selling out right away and not being available again till after the holidays. Also the Urak-Hai figs need a new castle to invade since I took down Helms Deep.

itshappening.gif

In for Snow Queen, Penguin, a couple of Wolfpack, three Amigos, one of those spies (if the goggles work on a hairpiece, Ray is getting them), a banana and a babysitter.

The rest of the series is strangely dull, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom