• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you, TRU.

Not a fan of the the new thing TLG is trying out. These sets aren't available in LEGO stores, which is silly because it is THE store for LEGO products

Yeah this seems silly. I keep seeing the staff having to explain that you can order it online from the Lego store. Just weird all around.

Just picked up ghost rider from target, looks like a pretty neat little set. Was tempted to pick up the doctor strange set as well but I passed for now.

Yup. EU usually gets stuff early.

Except for when we don't, like with series 16 minifigures for instance.

Almost budged on Captain America Airport Battle today, due to a high discount (35%) at Amazon. Didn't because of the stickers... Went with Poe's X-Wing instead, which will also look good without stickers (the Brickset review shows great pictures of it without stickers).

Also ordered the Mighty Micros Flash and Captain Cold. The Spider-Man / Green Goblin set was such a great set, which made me want more. The Micros of next year look even better!

So glad I finally picked that one (Spidey) up, was hesitant at first because of Phil's talk about it on Points of Articulation. He almost talked me out of it! That one offers great play value for young kids.

Just watched the review. Just going to buy the Ashoka figure off of eBay for that set.
Ya, I was thinking of looking for it on sale but if it's a TRU exclusive, not likely to find it for a good value.

I also agree with Jang that her eyes look possessed. The rest of the fig looks great though.

Ya, I was thinking of looking for it on sale but if it's a TRU exclusive, not likely to find it for a good value.

I also agree with Jang that her eyes look possessed. The rest of the fig looks great though.

In Europe has regular 15 / 20% off, even on exclusives. Not the case in the US?

Rootbeer

Banned
Damn you, TRU.

Not a fan of the the new thing TLG is trying out. These sets aren't available in LEGO stores, which is silly because it is THE store for LEGO products

I wasn't aware that this was happening. Is this really the case?

You can still order it on shop.lego.com if you want the VIP points at least.

I guess i'll wait for a 20% off (or up) sale on LEGO Star Wars sets at TRU... but that could be a while from now.

ChryZ

Coming next week:

t6mg03e.jpg

In the book are ideas for other Microfighter-scale builds, as well as other small Star Wars builds.
Amazon had it for 16.99 EUR including shipping, Microfighters are usually like 9.99, so it was pretty much an impulse buy. The box came today and I was suprised how big and substantial it turned out to be:

Lovely!

iosefe

I wasn't aware that this was happening. Is this really the case?

You can still order it on shop.lego.com if you want the VIP points at least.

I guess i'll wait for a 20% off (or up) sale on LEGO Star Wars sets at TRU... but that could be a while from now.

yes, it's a recent thing. first set was the Ra's Al Ghul one. i guess to help promote the other retailers, and Shop@Home.

Popped in to Target for Ghost Rider and they are still unpacking all the new sets. Won't let me go through them. :(

I'd just hang around but I have kids in tow. Poop.

ghostmind

Amazon had it for 16.99 EUR including shipping, Microfighters are usually like 9.99, so it was pretty much an impulse buy. The box came today and I was suprised how big and substantial it turned out to be:

Lovely!

That looks great! Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

Saw this at LEGO store today. This does not look promising for future of CCBS/constraction. This doesn't necessarily mean sale are poor (perhaps over production based on over estimates), but hard to put a positive spin on this.

Personally, I think the bad guys in armor (Darth, Kylo, Phasma, trooper) look pretty good.

I would say it's clearing stock for the Rogue One buildable figures

Agreed, but it also appears to be following the same pattern as the $10 Ultimate Nexo Knights sets. They have put those Nexo sets on sale several times, but the best selling ones, Aaron and Clay, are never on sale.
So I think there is something to be said about which ones are on sale. The bigger sign will be how often they are on sale at other retail stores.

I dont think its an issue because they've been out for 7 months now. If you look at other lego sets released in december/January, they're marked down too. Hell my local walmart has the first order tie fighter for $50, which is $20 off.

The bionicle ones started getting marked down 2 months after release, when it happens that fast its a problem.

Doc Ock Tentacle Trap was really fun. The mech actually has a play feature where you twist the top cylinder and the arms spin around and flail on the mech. Nice little touch there that adds a bit of character.

valkyre

Is it just me that wants Lego to slow down a bit? Not so much in terms of products, but more so in terms of brand strength.

I love Lego, but the overpriced factor is getting more and more crazy. Also the entire hoarding of sets/minifigures and generally the aftersales market is just ridiculous.

It makes me think that a kind of slowing down would benefit most of us.

Rootbeer

Banned
Check out the redesigned shop.lego.com

It's not live in most areas but you can explore around it and do a survey.

If you would like to check out the new website and see how you like it, you will need to change your region to Switzerland when you visit the Online LEGO Shop. You can do that by clicking on the small “Change Region” link in the upper right corner of the site. Or you can just go directly to Shop.LEGO.com/en-CH (this is the address of the Swiss website in English). Once you took the new site to a spin, you can fill out the survey at the following link: LEGO WEBSITE SURVEY
Source

yes, it's a recent thing. first set was the Ra's Al Ghul one. i guess to help promote the other retailers, and Shop@Home.

I totally forgot that this set exists! Thanks for the reminder-I need to hunt it down before it gets tough to find.

Ghostmind-do these sets have any exclusively with Canadian retailers?

Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty is dropping to $60 at most targets this week. Use Brickseek and dpci 204-00-1505. Grabbed 2 this morning-1 for me and one for another local Lego fan who gets me discounted stuff when he comes across it.

While shopping for groceries at Walmart I took a peek down the LEGO aisle and it looks like they're clearing out some sets, mostly Ninjago from the looks of it, at 40-50% off of retail. Didn't bite on anything there but I did see this as I was leaving the aisle:

At that price I picked up a couple of each.

ghostmind

I totally forgot that this set exists! Thanks for the reminder-I need to hunt it down before it gets tough to find.

Ghostmind-do these sets have any exclusively with Canadian retailers?

Yes, 76056 is a Walmart exclusive, as it is in the US.

This new LEGO store retailer exclusive policy is frustrating, as those would be the first sets I picked up from my local LEGO store each release period.

And with Target entering, and then abruptly exiting the Canadian retail space, I'm not sure what is going on with those store exclusives.

I guess I'll be doing even more ordering online, and spending less time in the B&M stores.

I was just looking at the new pirate CMF and it made me realize something.

I hate the bald caps.

In the past we've been conditioned to think that the stud was a bare Minifigure head. Spider-Man, Captain America, and other super heroes wearing masks have the stud visible because that's the shape of a bald minifigure head. I understand the real-world reason it's a stud, but:

But the bald caps, as seen on the pirate, and Shakespeare and I think at least one more, tell us that the top of a minifigure's head is actually supposed to be rounded and smooth. If this was actually the case though why wouldn't Spidey and Cap and others have smooth caps to put over their studs, giving their heads the apparently "normal" smooth roundness that bald or balding minifigure's have?

Even the Mad Scientist from the Monsters CMF line, has a special headpiece that they EASILY could have made smooth and rounded on top, but they didn't, it's just a bare stud.

How about some consistency, Lego? Which is it? Is a bald minifig head supposed to be a stud, or a smooth dome?

I've been losing sleep on why LEGO does this. Not really, but I think this may be LEGO's rule: If a hat or hair piece doesn't fit on it, it doesn't need a stud. I can't think of any other logic except it's just haphazard which LEGO doesn't tend to do.

The stud on the head makes LEGO minifigs so fun. Without the stud, Deadpool or Lou Ferrigno Hulk minifig could wear a sombrero.

Is it just me that wants Lego to slow down a bit? Not so much in terms of products, but more so in terms of brand strength.

I love Lego, but the overpriced factor is getting more and more crazy. Also the entire hoarding of sets/minifigures and generally the aftersales market is just ridiculous.

It makes me think that a kind of slowing down would benefit most of us.

I think it's the opposite. LEGO brand is so strong LEGO is keeping up with the demand.
That said, I do agree LEGO demand will hit a ceiling eventually.

As for aftersales market, I don't mind most of the time since almost all of LEGO products are available to most people through retail channels. It's when it's a limited item and scalpers try to grab them all that it irks me. Or when there is a clearance and a reseller buys EVERYTHING when clearance price is good. Oh, I gotcha on the minifigures. The ones where there are only a few in a CMF series like the Hot Dog dude and the Unicorn girl.

Doubled up bike shop; I wanted to keep this one quite square as I have a spot for it on a corner.

Nice work. Now do quadruple to make them modular sized. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I thought the reason LEGO keeps the stud on the head is to prevent choking? If a child swallowed a head, the hole makes it so air can flow around if lodged longways and through if lodged vertically. That's what I've read at least...So bald molds would go against the safety protocol they have in place.

wetwired

I have been working on this for a while but I've started prototyping future Waller Customs minifigs in Unity engine, makes it much easier to test out ideas. This is my next custom I'll be making, once I finalize the design. I'm pretty happy with it, just needs some tidying up and formatting for the printer. Unless you guys can suggest some changes?

The clown prince of crime minifig...

suit.jpg

I thought the reason LEGO keeps the stud on the head is to prevent choking? If a child swallowed a head, the hole makes it so air can flow around if lodged longways and through if lodged vertically. That's what I've read at least...So bald molds would go against the safety protocol they have in place.
There's no hole in the stud. Also I think most kids would just swallow a minifig head without problem.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's no hole in the stud. Also I think most kids would just swallow a minifig head without problem.

There's absolutely a hole in the stud - I'm looking at one right now.

And yeah, I was right - it's so that if a child got one stuck in their throat, they could keep breathing. So don't expect them to remove that anytime soon.

E: However! Research says they have changed the safety protocol. Weird that they changed it within the past few years. So there USED to be, but very recently, they have decided to remove the hole.

Huh, interesting! From a quick skim of google results, looks like the hole was there in the 1990s until about 5-6 years ago, so I probably don't have any from that era. I still don't think it is likely for even a child to choke on one.

mclem

Is there a tool - or possibly a way of manipulating BrickStock - that helps find an optimal set of purchases to meet a shopping list? By which I mean not just in terms of individual bricks, but also if there are sets which have a good overlap, such that buying the set still works out cheaper than picking out individual parts?

willp2003

If it's double VIP in the UK as well, I think I'm finally gonna get the sandcrawler. Been in the fence for ages, but it'll be a late b'day present to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom