• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bionicle was just cancelled again

The sales must have been HORRIBLE to cancel this early. I guess that's why I saw so many sets in the clearance bin and target/Walmart never stocked any summer sets...

All I wanted was a big $30 makuta (main bad guy) set and i would have been satisfied with this reboot. Oh well, the story sucked but some of the sets we got were cool.

The ones I got will have a spot on my shelf for a long time :)

Does anyone have a style or method for recording their builds/projects?

I want to under take a rather large build, and wondering if I should document it somehow...

Fishlake

The sales must have been HORRIBLE to cancel this early. I guess that's why I saw so many sets in the clearance bin and target/Walmart never stocked any summer sets...

All I wanted was a big $30 makuta (main bad guy) set and i would have been satisfied with this reboot. Oh well, the story sucked but some of the sets we got were cool.

Aww that's too bad on the plus side that does mean I'll complete the series. Hope they release instructions for some of the Makutas they had shown.

Back to Nexo Knight villains.

I'm bummed a little but I'm not sad about it. The run it had was and is better than I was expecting, but the lack of story/depth I still feel was a huge part of why it didn't last but I'm probably wrong.

I'm actually kinda excited to find out what the next CCBS line is, I just hope it's something new... Either that or I guess CCBS Star Wars will be the only CCBS line, which I don't mind.

On the other plus I'll be able to finish my Boionicle collection. I have all sets except the newest line of beasts.

If I remember right there was only a couple numbered bags with two bags per number, the last one for sure was one thats the one you build the stand and get the fig in. The unnumbered bags are your plates. There should be a couple, I think 3 with black large plates and a couple long grey ones in them then 1 unnumbered bag with just a bunch of flat base plates, the ones that are used for the name plate on that stand. You get like 9 of them in the bag because 8 of them are used for the 2 panels in the build

Yep, spot on. Built it last week.

Osahi

Two bags of three in on the beetle and i am awestruck. Amazing build so far. The way some parts are sculpted, how some little builds (of which you often have no idea at first what they will represent) interlock, the detail that is allready aparant.

Get this set.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sorry for your loss Bionicle fans.

But it was clear LEGO was not putting the same effort into the cross-media efforts for Bionicle as it was for their other properties like Ninjago. I think they were hoping for the sets to mostly sell themselves, and it just wasn't happening this time around.

LEGO needs to rethink their entire constraction line of offerings. I don't think any of them are selling particularly well, even the Star Wars items.

Ponn

Banned

But it was clear LEGO was not putting the same effort into the cross-media efforts for Bionicle as it was for their other properties like Ninjago. I think they were hoping for the sets to mostly sell themselves, and it just wasn't happening this time around.

LEGO needs to rethink their entire constraction line of offerings. I don't think any of them are selling particularly well, even the Star Wars items.

Hasbro tried it to and they also failed. I just don't they think they are that widely appealing. If you are into construction toys they are pretty limiting on their own. If you are into action figures they aren't as realistic. They have given it multiple shots now, just pour one out for them and be done with it.

I wonder if there will be a 1-2 year void now for constraction sets except for the Star Wars ones.

Aww that's too bad on the plus side that does mean I'll complete the series. Hope they release instructions for some of the Makutas they had shown.

Back to Nexo Knight villains.

Seems like the villains have been the minifig highlights of LEGO original IPs.

I think LEGO did put the effort to promote Bionicle. I think it may be kids aren't as into constraction sets as much. Nowadays actions figures offer quite a lot. They even have action figures with interchangeable parts (Marvel Super Hero Mashers) that are way more detailed than LEGO constraction sets.
I'm not saying constraction is bad, just saying I think mass appeal has shifted. Mega Bloks did a constraction series and don't do it anymore probably for a good reason.

Hasbro tried it to and they also failed. I just don't they think they are that widely appealing. If you are into construction toys they are pretty limiting on their own. If you are into action figures they aren't as realistic. They have given it multiple shots now, just pour one out for them and be done with it.

Agreed. I just don't think constraction can compete with all the advances action figures have made. I do think LEGO constraction still has an audience, but it has shrunk considerably.

EDIT: Maybe LEGO can do a Ninjago CCBS/constraction series with the void that the early Bionicle demise presented. :)

Eh, I think contraction still offers far more customization than any customizable action figure series, and its not even close. I think the drawback is that its harder to make cool stuff since its a lot more (excuse the pun) technical. You don't have to just swap armor pieces or limbs like other lines, you can customize everything and get loads of detail due to its compatibility with technic and system pieces. Here's something I made last year with a 50/50 mix of old bionicle pieces and new ones. But maybe all that is a little over kids heads, and they'd prefer toys that can easily let them swap limbs and still have it look cool since the detail is pre made for them.

Also, completely vanilla CCBS (the new version of constraction lego has been doing for the last 5 years) is very limiting and isn't all that great overall, I agree. You have to have some spare parts from other lego lines (mostly technic pieces). Although this year's Bionicle wave was integrating more technic and custom stuff into their builds, which resulted in some really awesome looking sets like Umarak the Hunter. I'd say he looks way cooler than any of those marvel super hero mashers, but I'm not a kid so I guess i dont know whats cool anymore lol.

Wanderer5

Just a couple more days till Ghost Rider!:D

And aw about Bionicle. I should probably get least a villain from the new sets before this goes away.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got ghost rider at TRU on Thurs. They also had a lot of the new Nexo Knights and the Ahsoka set.

I haven't found the Doctor Strange set at TRU. But I did find it at Target... twice, at different stores. Neither would let me buy it yet.

It's fine, I need a list of things to get at the new SF LEGO store to get the exclusive items anyway.

Got ghost rider at TRU on Thurs. They also had a lot of the new Nexo Knights and the Ahsoka set.

I haven't found the Doctor Strange set at TRU. But I did find it at Target... twice, at different stores. Neither would let me buy it yet.

It's fine, I need a list of things to get at the new SF LEGO store to get the exclusive items anyway.

I saw Ghost Rider at TRU too.

Is it bad that I'm considering flying to my hometown San Diego for the new store opening in September?

Rootbeer

Banned

Is it bad that I'm considering flying to my hometown San Diego for the new store opening in September?
If you do you better prepare for how many days you are staying, because at my store they are having giveaways for three days in a row opening weekend, different items each day.

I'm assembling the Ghost Rider set right now, and I'm somewhat taken aback by the fact that the newspaper stickers actually have different printing for the boxes they go inside instead of having some generic universal sticker. Nice attention to detail that.

My Target and Walmarts were ghost aisles. A ton of spaces for clearance stuff and nothing remaining.

I was pretty pissed.

Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion, something I want to get for my fiancee, was $45. Gone.

Star Wars Death Star Duel was $50. Gone.

Green Lantern was $9. Gone. Avengers Tower was $25. Gone. Age of Ultron Quinjet was $40. Gone. Shadow Troopers army builder was $4. Gone.

So frustrating.

Mowgli

Banned
My target is getting pretty barren too. That stinks to hear about Bionicles. Been buying up whichever ones my son doesn't have as they have mostly been on clearance around here.

I hope they rerelease some of the Harry Potter stuff but don't have my hopes up. If I am lucky Fantastic beasts might get some.

Fishlake

So the only Bionicle g2 set I don't have is lava beast so I think I'll check Toy's R Us next week to see if I can use my $5 off from reward points on it.

I'll also be on the look out for the Lava Demons from Nexo Knights. Really hope they make the Mushlords next year.

I did not know this was a thing and that C3 existed long before their NBA, WWE, and Shopkins sets.

C3 actually had building block sets combined with Minimates around 2004-2005.

I wish LEGO would sell out someday and make a line of minifigs with all sorts of super hero variants like Minimates.

http://minimatescentral.com/2011/01/batmobile-with-dark-knight-batman-–-c3-wave-1/
http://www.minimatedatabase.com/line.php?i=16

BatmobileBox.jpg
ThroneRoomBox.jpg

MBMSet6.jpg
BGSet4.jpg

ChemWarehouseBox.jpg
AAc3BatwingMIB.jpg

Markus

For any Canadians, I found 2 boxes of CMF 16 at a local Chapters here in Halifax.

They had a "new" box of Simpsons Series 2 as well. Been seeing these showing up randomly at various retailers this year whenever the current series is temporally out of stock or whatever.

Osahi

Just finished the last part of the Beetle.

Did I allready express how great this set is? Easily one of the best sets I've built since coming out of the dark ages. The look of the thing is as great as the build itself, full of SNOTs and little techniques of interlocking little builds.
Can barely find bad things to say about this set. Only thing annoying me a bit was the stickers, especially the smaller ones on the back window. But you get two of each of those, so if you don't get it right you can fix it. (It's hard to get them straight as they don't have horizontal lines)

Best set of the year to date for me.

I love X hate buying Legos from thrift stores, you never know if it'll be complete but it's a fun build

Bought the Harry Potter castle from prisoner of azkaban yesterday and it's got so many tiny pieces lol

I checked off the last awesome Lego shop on my road trip. When I mentioned that the other store had the Inside Tour 2007 edition of Market Street, the owner pulled out his copy. And he was on the group photo on the slip cover. That's pretty rad.

And I did do some shopping here. I got a complete Futuron Monorail for a very decent price. Happy.

My Target and Walmarts were ghost aisles. A ton of spaces for clearance stuff and nothing remaining.

I was pretty pissed.

Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion, something I want to get for my fiancee, was $45. Gone.

Star Wars Death Star Duel was $50. Gone.

Green Lantern was $9. Gone. Avengers Tower was $25. Gone. Age of Ultron Quinjet was $40. Gone. Shadow Troopers army builder was $4. Gone.

So frustrating.

It is very difficult to get clearance once it hits 50% off near me. According to rumor my nearby Target's have a Bricklink Shop come the morning they hit 50% off and clear the shelves.

Just finished the last part of the Beetle.

Did I allready express how great this set is? Easily one of the best sets I've built since coming out of the dark ages. The look of the thing is as great as the build itself, full of SNOTs and little techniques of interlocking little builds.
Can barely find bad things to say about this set. Only thing annoying me a bit was the stickers, especially the smaller ones on the back window. But you get two of each of those, so if you don't get it right you can fix it. (It's hard to get them straight as they don't have horizontal lines)

Best set of the year to date for me.
Some of the back window stickers I intentionally had slightly off because not all cars have bumper stickers centered. I felt those could be less than perfect and it still worked.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Ooh! Where's that? San Diego is my hometown as well! (Also, where'd you live? I was in Oceanside.)

Osahi

Some of the back window stickers I intentionally had slightly off because not all cars have bumper stickers centered. I felt those could be less than perfect and it still worked.

True. When the back window is placed it looked better then when I just applied them on the partial build.

Other stickers that I didn't manage to place perfect are the blue bows on the backrow windows. There is a gap between the roof and the blue on the window. Wished they at least had printed that one...

Kipp

It's opening at UTC. I lived all over north county mostly Encinitas.

Huh. A little odd that they'd open one at UTC when there's already one at the Fashion Valley mall right near by. I guess that's just a testament to how well the Fashion Valley store is doing!

And nice! We were probably practically neighbors at one point then!

Kipp

Visited my local TRU and they pretty much had every new set. All the new Superhero sets, all the new Ninjago sets, all the new Nexo Knights sets...
I was so tempted to get Jestro's Volcano Lair... Especially with the 20% off Nexo Knights promo that was going on... But I've been spending a bit too much lately and decided it was probably best to hold off. That looks like such an awesome set though.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just ordered my VW Beetle and I could not be more excited! I know the build will be super fun and the playability for my 6-year-old is stellar. When Lego gets it right, they get it so very right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom