• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojiimbo

Cool, this'll work out better than trying to mod my Lone Ranger train.

The train officially supports power functions(8879, 8884, 88000, 88002), they're just not in the box. LEGO stores *might* even be carrying the OEM-y train power function elements separately in-store this year.

Bit weird that the train comes with 16 track pieces when clearly it fits on four of them. I like it though.

Went to Westfield in London yesterday, managed to avoid getting stabbed by about half an hour. Got this stuff:

c7JbUif.jpg

I wasn't gonna buy the Beetle, but seeing it built was something else. Every picture I've seen online hasn't done any justice at all to how shiny and blue it is, but seeing it in person it was an instant buy. The tiger was free, I dunno why, I got an email about it a few weeks back. Either because it was my birthday or everyone got it? No idea. Wasn't gonna turn it down though! And furry creatures was not a set I expected to see while out shopping, I thought I'd missed my chance to get that. They had loads in The Entertainer though, so I bought that immediately. My girlfriend had got me the puppy/duck set for my birthday so it's nice to have them both!

I saw the Technic Porsche built in the window as well, that thing looks brilliant. And huge.

If you think the Beetle looks awesome when completed, it pales in comparison to how good the actual building experience is. Yes, it is that good. You are in for a good time.

The cat set is a lot of fun as well.

Cool, this'll work out better than trying to mod my Lone Ranger train.

The train officially supports power functions(8879, 8884, 88000, 88002), they're just not in the box. LEGO stores *might* even be carrying the OEM-y train power function elements separately in-store this year.

Nice to know it supports power functions. I have a train motor I haven't used yet, and a remote. But, my power supply is the technic style one. I am debating about ordering the boxy system one or rechargeable, but thought that the new power functions were coming soon.

ghostmind

If you think the Beetle looks awesome when completed, it pales in comparison to how good the actual building experience is. Yes, it is that good. You are in for a good time.

The cat set is a lot of fun as well.

Nice to know it supports power functions. I have a train motor I haven't used yet, and a remote. But, my power supply is the technic style one. I am debating about ordering the boxy system one or rechargeable, but thought that the new power functions were coming soon.

New PF is already here, but it depends on how much LEGO wants to replace the existing system on "mainstream" sets, or whether they keep the new PF for more fringe products, like WeDo. LEGO isn't making their roadmap for PF clear at this point.

New PF is already here, but it depends on how much LEGO wants to replace the existing system on "mainstream" sets, or whether they keep the new PF for more fringe products, like WeDo. LEGO isn't making their roadmap for PF clear at this point.

The bluetooth ones that were linked months ago? I honestly haven't dug around too much about them. Thought there would be more fanfare.

Also, Amazon has a deal today on 10 pack of off brand 16x16 baseplates. 10 of em for $13. Not a bad deal if you don't mind knock offs.

EDIT: Found it. LEGO WeDo 2.0 stuff. And man, is it expensive. Yeah, I will feel fine ordering regular PF for now it seems. Sadly, the rechargeable pack is on backorder.
I had missed the reference to WeDo in your post, Ghostmind.
I would think they would eventually go over to the new PF stuff from WeDo, as it seems like a lot of work to put into such a fringe product. Especially because of the very specific dimensions that things were created in. They could easily slot into sets and replace parts with minimal fuss.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Bit weird that the train comes with 16 track pieces when clearly it fits on four of them. I like it though.

The idea behind the 16 curved train track pieces is almost certainly so that people can make a complete circle that they place around their Christmas tree.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Seeing that train reminds me of how badly I want to get into train layouts...But that hole runs deep. And my wallet would NOT appreciate it.

Following up on this post that got buried at the end of a page, Lego is sending me out the Arocs now and I should get it Monday. Fortunately Monday is the second day of my weekend so I can work on it then at least, I just wanted to start on it now!

They also let me keep the book, which is nice. Thumbing through it there's some nice builds in there, will make for good toilet reading.

ghostmind

Following up on this post that got buried at the end of a page, Lego is sending me out the Arocs now and I should get it Monday. Fortunately Monday is the second day of my weekend so I can work on it then at least, I just wanted to start on it now!

They also let me keep the book, which is nice. Thumbing through it there's some nice builds in there, will make for good toilet reading.

For their occasional flaws, LEGO is still an awesome company. I don't recall ever having a negative customer service experience, save for a few years ago when they decided to terminate depot drop-shipping, but that was a company-wide mandate, rather than just an issue with my individual order.

Spent the most of the last two days doing this:

The dragon is fully articulated with the head, shoulder/hip, and foot joints on large ball joints, and the neck, elbow/knee joints on ratcheting joints for extra strength and stability -- plus a bonus ratcheting joint at the waist for posing. It's always a challenge to try and build something that would actually be structurally sound in LDD, but I think this would actually work IRL. The dragon is nearly 900 pieces and I still need to build the tail.

I used Sand Green as the main color, I felt black or dark red is too cliche for a dragon.

I also really like the brickbuilt weapons I made, especially the battle axe which uses the ice skates for the blades.

Saw Doctor Strange set at Target yesterday, but decided to go home and order from LEGO to get double VIP. I then discovered it is on backorder for months, and is a Target exclusive.
So, before work today went back to Target and got their last one. Phew.
Also snagged Ghost Rider just for good measure.

Now I have a Tilda Swinton figure!

Edit: Ghost Rider is done. Yeah, he's going into my Halloween display. Absolutely love those new flame pieces.
Edit 2: opened Doctor Strange. The instruction manual cover is torn. Lame!

Rootbeer

Banned
My Strange set (and others) were due for delivery today... but FedEX claimed nobody was home and now it's coming Monday... i was home all day and he didn't even call through the entry system! Rage :(

Time to repost this video on the proper way to make a LEGO train layout.

https://youtu.be/ai7DHG4w1U0

Knew what it was before even clicking the link. Love that video.
I want to do trains but lack the space for it. Have had ideas floating in my head about adding trains to my Halloween display, but need time to really pull it off. And obviously, the space.

And just finished Doctor Strange set. While there are no real stand out techniques or anything to the set, and it aint no Lex Power Armor or Hulkbuster, this set is speaking to me on many levels.
At first glance, it looks the the Big Bang Theory set gone wrong (or completely right), but it is this wonderful lil vignette that makes an absolutely perfect desk piece.
It has a shallow enough footprint to put most places, comes with some great mini figures (who thought they would ever get a Tilda Swinton figure in their lives?), and actually has some cool play features.
My favorite part has to be the Lovecraftian monster coming through the wall. And that it uses some gears to let you move the tentacles around just adds to the weird maniacal glee of the set. The clear cross beams to make the figures levitate is also fun as well.

Definitely worth hunting down. Like I said, no real stand out techniques or anything, but it is a fun and silly little display piece that I had a lot of fun with.

Speaking of Monorails, anyone here got that Friends theme park set? (the one at 99 dollars) My wife bought it for herself the other day and after she built it, i have to say, it IS pretty awesome. This is probably the closest we have come to an actual monorail set!! Also love the pastel blue rail color!

Speaking of Monorails, anyone here got that Friends theme park set? (the one at 99 dollars) My wife bought it for herself the other day and after she built it, i have to say, it IS pretty awesome. This is probably the closest we have come to an actual monorail set!! Also love the pastel blue rail color!

They released a space-themed monorail set almost thirty years ago and it was the best. Stayed in their catalog for several years iirc. There was another space monorail in the '90s but I don't think it was quite as good as the classic set.

What I wouldn't give for a new space theme with a colonization motif or even an outpost.

Anyway I'm dying to get that cool theme park set in the house but the kid is all about those elves these days. Can't get enough of them...which is fine with me, that evil castle set in the theme is a rock star.

Koren

There was another space monorail in the '90s but I don't think it was quite as good as the classic set.
I think it's a close call, but the second one was longer, with Y parts, so I would probably go with that one. Most of the buildings in both aren't that great...

latest

I love mine (6990, the original one).

There's also a City one:
6399-1.jpg

I'm with you for space theme (or rather, I'm not, I already spend too much on Lego and I don't have space available)

So I've got a train quandary for LegoGAF.

I really, really want a train. Especially to put around the bottom of the tree during Christmas. But I don't want a cargo train, or a freight train, or a high speed passenger train. I want a steam engine.

Would the best way to go about getting one be to just build my own with parts from BrickLink? Buy the tracks, the wheels and train base things, battery pack and remote, and then just invent my own on top of that?

Fowler

I think it's a close call, but the second one was longer, with Y parts, so I would probably go with that one. Most of the buildings in both aren't that great...

latest

I love mine (6990, the original one).

There's also a City one:
6399-1.jpg

I'm with you for space theme (or rather, I'm not, I already spend too much on Lego and I don't have space available)

I had the original space one, but always wanted the City one. Had a weird obsession with monorails and city infrastructure like that, and a City monorail that went to the airport was like... the ultimate set for me.

(When we were young, we used to go to Japan all the time, and driving past the monorail that takes you to Haneda Airport was the biggest thrill. I was a weird kid.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I really, really want a train. Especially to put around the bottom of the tree during Christmas. But I don't want a cargo train, or a freight train, or a high speed passenger train. I want a steam engine.

Would the best way to go about getting one be to just build my own with parts from BrickLink? Buy the tracks, the wheels and train base things, battery pack and remote, and then just invent my own on top of that?

For the cost, it seems like you're better off buying a starter set and building on that. Track + PF alone ain't cheap.

ghostmind

4ksH6St.jpg

rrstSJc.jpg

There are instructions for adding power functions to this set on multiple sites, such as:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/community-lego-blogs/adding-power-lego-constitution-train-chase-79111/

https://youtu.be/3TACVVcaalA

You can MOC some extra cars for the train, such as adding a passenger car.

BbIccgA.jpg

from the Emerald Night

Markus

Lone Ranger 79111 train was a steam engine (never had it but it looks like a good place to start) for building instructions. Not sure whats involved installing PF, though I don't think it would be too hard with some creativity (i.e. put the motor in a coal car rather then the engine). Its listed on Amazon for about US$145 shipped

If you can find a cargo train set on sale/clearance, it might be cheaper/easier to get the PF's, track, magnetic couplers, trucks (the mechanism that train wheels are mounted to) and train car chassis plates that you might need to begin your build.

Saw the current Cargo Train (60052) on Amazon.com for US$125 recently ( http://camelcamelcamel.com/LEGO-Trains-Cargo-Train-Building/product/B00J4S6UYO?context=browse ),and just saw that it's at $142 shipped right now, which is still really low.

The current Heavy Haul Train (60098) is about US$200 on Amazon.

Also check out the back issues of Rail Bricks magazine for some general inspiration
http://www.magcloud.com/browse/magazine/4160

Guess it's a good time to post this:

Qrzv31D.jpg

I put mine together just to see it working, but I really don't have space for it. It was kind of an impulse buy right now, but it's something I always wanted. The idea is that once I move to a bigger apartment (whenever that is), I will want this running a circuit within my city block (and probably circling the Ferris Wheel too), and this set won't become any cheaper. For now it's partly dismantled so I can set it up temporarily.

The upside is, now that I've paid silly cash for it, there will soon be a new monorail for all of you to buy. Things tend to end up that way :D

Koren

I feel SO old :/

I remember receiving that set like it was (the day before) yesterday, and so many details like the exchangable crates. Was this really nearly 30 years ago?

T_T

Edit: the mech is a mod, if I'm not mistaken, but the craft wasn't in the set? I know it, but I don't think I owned it... Probably one of my friends did, because it's too familiar (or it may just be advertisements, I remember it being displayed in short "comics" in kid publications).

Fishlake

$79.99USD
5 minifigs (conductor, train engineer, a mother, a son and a daughter)
includes 16 curved track segments

At $80 this will be my first Lego train. I have a huge collection of wooden Tomas the tank engine trains from when I was little so this might be a dangerous purchase.

shoot. i'm going to have to buy that holiday train.

i have a feeling this ends in a bad place where i've bricklinked a million train cars.

i don't have enough space for that much track. i'm gonna wind up building the ouroboros express in a loop around my town, a train where the engine is the caboose.

wait that sounds like fun. let's go off the deep end.

I feel SO old :/

I remember receiving that set like it was (the day before) yesterday, and so many details like the exchangable crates. Was this really nearly 30 years ago?

T_T

Edit: the mech is a mod, if I'm not mistaken, but the craft wasn't in the set? I know it, but I don't think I owned it... Probably one of my friends did, because it's too familiar (or it may just be advertisements, I remember it being displayed in short "comics" in kid publications).

The mech is custom, and there's also four separate sets in the picture except the monorail. The monorail only comes with the buildings and the container loader near the train.

Well, just ordered Spidey Bridge Battle just before double VIP ended. Want the set, and get the London bus as well.

Birthday checks have been coming in ahead of time, and already have half of the Disney Castle paid off with them. Hopefully the rest pay off the set. Only reason I am justifying getting Bridge Battle now and not waiting for a sale. I need those villain figures!

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Going to pick up that holiday train set as well as it seems like good value. I would have liked a larger steamer, but it's fine for what it is.

Lego needs to make a 4-6-6-4 Challenger or 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, that would indeed be glorious.

Well, just ordered Spidey Bridge Battle just before double VIP ended. Want the set, and get the London bus as well.

Birthday checks have been coming in ahead of time, and already have half of the Disney Castle paid off with them. Hopefully the rest pay off the set. Only reason I am justifying getting Bridge Battle now and not waiting for a sale. I need those villain figures!

Pretty much the reason why I grabbed the Spidey-Bridge now.

Waiting until next 2x VIP for the Disney Castle though. Plenty other of stuff to build in the meantime.

Finally found series 16 CMF today, but it was at TRU and all of them were in lock boxes, so no feeling around. I got all that they had, which was 12, and decided to gamble. Wound up with 2 arab fighters, 2 goth kids, 2 dog show winners, 2 devil kid, 2 mariachi players, 1 ninja archer, and 1 girl fighter.

Was happy to get extra mariachi players, but was really disappointed at all he other duplicates. Just wanting the banana, penguin, and babysitter figures. Preferably multiples of banana and penguin.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow locked up *AND* no feeling? Harsh :(

I'm all good on Series 16 (will try to get another Banana and Babysitter though), but one of my local Targets got a huge endcap of them (Must have been at 200 figures or more) and I came back 3 days later and they were ALL sold.

Yesterday, found a box at TRU -- the first one I've seen there -- only had about 4 packs left. Sheesh!

Forever thankful that I'll have a LEGO store closer soon so I don't have to worry about finding them ever again, as long as I hit them up around release time. (can you guys tell I'm excited about my new LEGO store? I can't contain it... sorry!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom