• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Definitively not that much...

ZZ4C7F2CB5.jpg

The underside is barely thicker than the upperside on blueprints and images, and should the ship lay on its underside, the nacelles should nearly touch the ground.

I suppose they inflated it so that they could more easily put troopers inside, but that butcher the whole line of the ship, I think.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I didn't know the ship was meant to have a bulk under it untill recently, so my image of it was a bit off. (It did look a bit bulkier on the Star Wars Show, but this could be memories fooling me). In the image you posted it is hard to image this ship is a troop transport, as the cargo hold and the cockpit seem way out of scale then...

These are the alleged prices:
Tank $30 £35
AT-ST $40 £40
TIE $70 £60
U-wing $70 £65
Shuttle $90 £80

Given the recent Star Wars pricing I'd be surprised if that's correct.

Looks BS idd. As it is difficult to imagine none of thise is over 100 dollars. (I would think the shuttle and or U-wing would be at least 99). Then again, dollar prices are way lower then Euro prices. If this turns out to be true, we're looking at an AT-ST for 70 euro's and a U-wing for a 100 over here for sure, lol :p

Hagi

These are the alleged prices:
Tank $30 £35
AT-ST $40 £40
TIE $70 £60
U-wing $70 £65
Shuttle $90 £80

Given the recent Star Wars pricing I'd be surprised if that's correct.

Bah I'd be surprised if the shuttle is under £90 which is shit as that's the only one I want.

Koren

Yeah, I can see what you mean. I didn't know the ship was meant to have a bulk under it untill recently, so my image of it was a bit off. (It did look a bit bulkier on the Star Wars Show, but this could be memories fooling me).
From the underside, it seems bulkier, but it isn't really that bulky...

In the image you posted it is hard to image this ship is a troop transport, as the cargo hold and the cockpit seem way out of scale then...
Well, that's Star Wars, I'm not even sure there's a ship that make sense, let alone have a consistent scale. And I'm not talking about better ship that mysteriously disappear ten years later, because they wanted to create new, great ship in prequels. Rogue won't be an exception...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm pretty surprised to see the negative reactions to these Star Wars sets. I haven't been a fan of many of the recent Star Wars sets, but with the exception of that small tank thing, I think all of these ships look really cool.

Risible

When does Lego typically release new kits in their online store? Is it like a midnight EST kind of thing or a "waste an entire night/day F5ing the store website" kind of thing?

$$$$$$$$$$$$
Better be massive X 10,000 pieces then or include like 20 mini figures

AT-ST for $40 is kinda what I expected

Bummer no AT-AT

If they are hitting $500, it will come with a ton of figures and have from 4000-5000 pieces.
However, I could see them giving it at least 5198 pieces just to claim having the biggest Star Wars set ever.

teeny

Really like the look of most of the Rogue One sets. As with the Force Awakens ships/sets, I expect to like them a lot more once I see the film. There's a good spread of minifigures with all of the sets, too.

I am both happy and not satisfied with this mop bucket. It is close enough to scale. I just wish they made shorter bucket pieces.

And the bottom part of each auditorium is complete. There is an identical one out of frame. Now trying to do the front half of the theater with the box office and whatnot.

I still have no idea about the second layer of the exterior or the marquee.

Koren

That's great...

Out of curiosity, why white walls? Isn't it a bit uncommon? (that's perfectly fine, I'm just curious... I also tend to avoid white because of yellowing)

ghostmind

So various sites have removed the Rogue One images at LEGO's "request" (demand), even though said images were retail product published on a a retail site. Eurobricks moderators have even stated that they will enforce an image embargo until September 30th - the day the sets are actually released in stores.

This is one more incident in a series of LEGO becoming more and more heavy-handed with their popularity, and many/most of the the LEGO fan sites becoming beholden to LEGO's demands, much like the videogame industry and press.

It's a direction that I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable with.

That's great...

Out of curiosity, why white walls? Isn't it a bit uncommon? (that's perfectly fine, I'm just curious... I also tend to avoid white because of yellowing)

Mainly because of the bulk I have of the color. I really wanted to have a navy blue interior, or dark red. But the sheer size of this build would make it very difficult. (the full building minus sidewalk is going to be 64x56, so more than 4x the size of a normal modular). I really want to make it more varied, but can't right now. I might go back and rework it some to do different ideas. Maybe a darker color near the base, then slightly lighter above it. I will experiment some more after I get the lobby going.
The white does look a bit bland. I did think about doing some striping or something on the interior to offset it some.

The exterior so far is a mix of white and dark tan. A majority of the exterior is going to be taken up by movie posters in frames, etc.

EDIT: I could easily go back after the black dividing line to make the secondary color take over.

Wanderer5

So various sites have removed the Rogue One images at LEGO's "request" (demand), even though said images were retail product published on a a retail site. Eurobricks moderators have even stated that they will enforce an image embargo until September 30th - the day the sets are actually released in stores.

This is one more incident in a series of LEGO becoming more and more heavy-handed with their popularity, and many/most of the the LEGO fan sites becoming beholden to LEGO's demands, much like the videogame industry and press.

An image embargo until the freaking release date? That is quite crazy lol.

That's great...

I like the white walls. It really brightens the room and makes the black and red pop out more.

The black steps are actually the plates from CMF. Figured I had a ton of them, might as well find a use.

And black was the color I had enough bow pieces of to use as armrests.

To show just how big it is getting, and this i only the back half.

It ain't Ryuuroden's Orthanc, but it is still big.

Ponn

Banned
Saw the thread you made about that. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. The cats my wife and I have are like our children, and I dread the day that we lose them.
Our thoughts are with you in this tough time. Anything that we can do to make things easier, just let us all know.

It's ok, just take time, thanks. Everyone can just keep making LegoGAF bestGAF.

To be fair to Lego or devil's advocate or whatever, could it be more about pressure from Disney/Star Wars and protecting their license agreement?

To be fair to Lego or devil's advocate or whatever, could it be more about pressure from Disney/Star Wars and protecting their license agreement?

This is correct. I work for a company that has licensed Star Wars goods and we have some coming for Rogue One. We have a strict direction/agreement to not let any of the imagery/product get out early, and are subject to fines if it does.

The black steps are actually the plates from CMF. Figured I had a ton of them, might as well find a use.

And black was the color I had enough bow pieces of to use as armrests.

To show just how big it is getting, and this i only the back half.

It ain't Ryuuroden's Orthanc, but it is still big.

Stairs with rails looks great. I really like the armrests. Very clever SNOT work on the armrests and NPU.

I'm thinking on starting on the contest #7 OT in a bit, y'all okay with Park Animals?

With all that brownish color, I think I have a crappy idea for the contest. :p

Stairs with rails looks great. I really like the armrests. Very clever SNOT work on the armrests and NPU.
Thank you.

What's NPU?

And nothing clever with the SNOT. It is just these two pieces together:
609126.jpg

307026.jpg

But, the arch from the bow piece does make a good, simple visual for the armrest. The chair pieces are only attached on the back 2 studs, with the front half floating. Sure, if I put a figure on some then try to remove them, the chair comes out too. But it looks better this way.

ghostmind

It's probably part of the equation, but this is far from the first time, and not always regarding licensed sets.

Like when Brickset was invited to the London Toy Fair, was shown the upcoming summer sets and allowed to take notes about them, abided by the no photos regulation, and was still told to take down their Toy Fair report, because LEGO didn't like their descriptions.

Growing pains, I'm sure, but not a good look.

Koren

Mainly because of the bulk I have of the color. I really wanted to have a navy blue interior, or dark red. But the sheer size of this build would make it very difficult. [...] The white does look a bit bland.
I don't think so, I think it's really nice (maybe because of the contrast, like Supa Necta suggested. I'm note sure I would like it best in another color. I was just curious.

I don't think this is available here. If it's this one is be out.
It has been out for more than half a year, no?

If I was to buy something this very day, would I have more fun with The Avengers Quinjet City Chase (76032) for £45 (RRP £70), or Ecto 1+2 for £35 (RRP £50)?

Which is the better deal? I am into both films/series

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
All versions of the Quinjet have great swooshability. The City Chase iteration fires a bike out the bottom and has Avenger rope deployment.

Its great for display and *if* you do like playing with your Lego too adult or otherwise, you'll love it.

mojiimbo

Is there some tool with a near complete minifigure database that can be used to generate/render specific combinations of different torsos/heads/legs and such? Lego Digital Designer?

Trying to "sketch" out some stuff to see if it's worth Bricklinking some more obscure minifigure elements. Thanks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I am placing an order soon...I need to grab the Simpsons House, but looking at the modulars, I am trying to grab the oldest one/most likely to go OOP. I have Pet Shop, so I'm assuming Cinema is the next one to grab as it's the next oldest, right?

mrkgoo

I don't think so, I think it's really nice (maybe because of the contrast, like Supa Necta suggested. I'm note sure I would like it best in another color. I was just curious.

It has been out for more than half a year, no?

We don't get all the sets here.

We get no polybags for example (only one I've seen are when they are promotional).

Yeah, same here. I get the licensing deal, but the way they treat fansites is abysmal and almost all the websites seem to be addicted to the sets / pr stuff they get from Lego. The beat down attitude of the Brickset crew is really sad. Worst part is that the fansites had to take them down right away and after a day they were still up on Amazon. Do not see Lego pick up a fight with them any time soon.

Is there some tool with a near complete minifigure database that can be used to generate/render specific combinations of different torsos/heads/legs and such? Lego Digital Designer?

Trying to "sketch" out some stuff to see if it's worth Bricklinking some more obscure minifigure elements. Thanks.
Not LDD, it's missing tons of prints, and what is there is very tedious to see what it actually is.

ericb!

Neo Member
Yeah, same here. I get the licensing deal, but the way they treat fansites is abysmal and almost all the websites seem to be addicted to the sets / pr stuff they get from Lego. The beat down attitude of the Brickset crew is really sad. Worst part is that the fansites had to take them down right away and after a day they were still up on Amazon. Do not see Lego pick up a fight with them any time soon.

LEGO may have taken this stance due to clone brands releasing their own knock-off sets. A Brickset article from today contained a link to Lepin's own Disney Castle set, already available on aliexpress.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
LEGO may have taken this stance due to clone brands releasing their own knock-off sets. A Brickset article from today contained a link to Lepin's own Disney Castle set, already available on aliexpress.

I've never heard of Lepin before. Research says they actually aren't bad at the brick quality, but those minifigures are hilariously bad.

Ponn

Banned
I'm impressed. This is legitimately creepy. I honestly wouldn't know that this is a review of a knock-off if not for a few minor tells.

http://mybrickstore.blogspot.ca/2016/02/lepin-05003-lego-star-wars-first-order.html

Gross.

It is bad that they are actually really damn close to the real models except for a few QC issues. When talking about chinese knockoffs I try to stress only figs that are not produced by Lego to not try to infringe (except the license holders I suppose) but inevitably people are going to see the real sets for less than half MSRP and with the cheap ass shipping its really hard to not stray. People just need to keep in mind if you spend money on this stuff it is for display only, it will have no resale value. And you need to carefully keep them separated from your real Lego bins. From a convenience and monetary standpoint its really not worth it.

The ones that make it hard to resist are the oop sets they are taking on now. UCS Batmobile for under $50...ehhhh.

No choice but to mix bags? Dr. Forester in heaven!

It's kind of hilarious when you think about it. Knock-off companies respecting Lego's patent on numbered bags.

ninge

A big THANK YOU to iosefe for sending me my awesome prize for the last competition! I had great fun building it :)

Park animals is a set I don't have and was looking for an excuse to buy so definitely sign me up for that one!

I think numbered bags are just additional expense that they don't want to deal with, like breaking apart the small pieces from the plastic molding or putting the minifig arms into the torsos.

Having bought realistic army minifigs for the novelty, I would never buy a counterfeit set due to QC. You really get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom