• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Holiday Train Designer Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IIpLW1DYa4

10254 Winter Holiday Train, 734 pieces.
US $99.99 - CA $129.99 - DE 89.99€ - UK £69.99 - DK 799.00 DKK
Available September 15 to VIPs, October 1 everyone else.

Climb aboard the magical Winter Holiday Train!

Gather the family for some festive LEGO building fun with this charming model featuring a full circle of track, boarding platform with bench and lamppost, a Power Functions upgradable train engine with brick-built smoke bellowing from its stack, coal tender, flatbed wagon with a rotating holiday tree, toys and gifts, and a red caboose with a detailed interior and table.

The train engine also features large and small red-colored locomotive wheels and the train is decorated with green wreathes, string lights and white tree elements. This LEGO® Creator Expert set includes 5 minifigures.

Includes 5 minifigures: a locomotive driver, ticket collector, grandmother, boy and a girl.
The Winter Holiday Train includes 16 curved pieces of track, engine, coal tender, flatbed wagon with holiday tree, toys and gifts, caboose, boarding platform, bench and a lamppost.
Decorate the tree and drive the train to see the tree rotate.
Join the ticket collector in the cozy caboose for a delicious cup of cocoa.
Includes dual building instructions for a perfect family build.
Accessory elements include green wreathes, decorative lights and white tree pieces, plus wrapped gift elements and tiny brick-built toys, including a micro train, wind-up car, fire truck, remote controlled robot, sailboat and a spaceship.
Upgrade with LEGO Power Functions (not included) for a motorized engine.
Special elements include small and large red train wheels, dark tan windows, train buffers, cow catcher, white tree elements and roller skates.
This set includes over 700 LEGO pieces, including 16 curved tracks.
The Holiday Train in total measures over 4” (12cm) high, 20” (52cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
Curved rail track diameter measures over 27” (70cm).

ghostmind

hShc2OQ.jpg

B9KmzZw.jpg

ghostmind

So the death star isn't the vip exclusive... also: higher price then rumored

There are two VIP exclusives on the same day.

And yes, it is $20 more than rumored, which makes some sense, given all the included track, but does make it less of a good deal.

Argh the castle is creeping up on us and I still don't know what to do

Disneyworld is huge to me so this is basically the perfect set but I just don't have room to display it

Tempted to buy it and put it away somewhere safe

A polybag exclusive would have tipped me over the edge for sure

Disneyworld is huge to me so this is basically the perfect set but I just don't have room to display it

I'm doing the incredibly mature, adult, grown up thing of "I'll figure that shit out later. Right now: Need."
That is how I am. I do see this becoming hard to get for several months, much like the Tumbler was when it hit. And the way the CMF just disappeared makes me more nervous.

LEGO may have taken this stance due to clone brands releasing their own knock-off sets. A Brickset article from today contained a link to Lepin's own Disney Castle set, already available on aliexpress.

have lego done this with any themes besides star wars? i know disney's been insane about keeping star wars merch out of the public eye til the last possible second.

LEGO may have taken this stance due to clone brands releasing their own knock-off sets. A Brickset article from today contained a link to Lepin's own Disney Castle set, already available on aliexpress.

This was crazy, how has it happened so fast? Unless there's an internal leak or these sets have been in retailers hands for months, surely no one could cobble together such an intricate set so quickly just from what's been shown?

Like, I've watched the designer video and I've seen all the photos and I could probably have a stab at recreating it if I had the pieces available, but I doubt it'd be perfect and then on top of that they have to produce the actual pieces in number and package them and get the boxes and instructions made and all that stuff.

Basically what I'm saying is that I really wonder what on earth is in that box.

Damn, the amazon preorder for the Gremlins team pack is $25. That's a lot for two minifigs. I wonder how much it would be if I just buy the minifigs separately on bricklink.

Meh at the train.

Also happy to be meh at the castle. Still afraid I'll have to choice but to buy the Bestest Star. You know, I have VR and stuff to buy this fall. I can't spend just as much on a single set...

Rootbeer

Banned
Just waiting on the death star to be revealed...

I have almost $300 in VIP points burning a hole in my pocket. A lot expire at the end of this year too.

It's either going to be the castle or the death star.

hopefully not both

3N16MA

Banned

I have almost $300 in VIP points burning a hole in my pocket. A lot expire at the end of this year too.

hopefully not both

Your VIP points will be spent on one and your cash on the other.

You already know this is the outcome.

So I loved Legos when I was a kid (I'm 34 now)...had a giant container full of them. Got rid of them, havent though about Legos since I was about 12. I recently got married and went to Italy on my honeymoon. I saw there was a Lego Architecture Venice and Trevi Fountain....so my wife recently got me Venice.

The nostalgia of putting that together was fantastic. I'm now going to get Trevi Fountain and I'm also looking at a Technics....all of which will end up on the desk in my office. Damn Legos...still fun after all these years!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Have the team packs been discounted? I didn't buy any previously. I know the fun packs have been heavily discounted.

Yup. If you're in the US, Meijer is currently running a 50% off everything LEGO Dimensions. That's how I finished my Season 1 collection! Saved me like $100, ha.

Osahi

So I loved Legos when I was a kid (I'm 34 now)...had a giant container full of them. Got rid of them, havent though about Legos since I was about 12. I recently got married and went to Italy on my honeymoon. I saw there was a Lego Architecture Venice and Trevi Fountain....so my wife recently got me Venice.

The nostalgia of putting that together was fantastic. I'm now going to get Trevi Fountain and I'm also looking at a Technics....all of which will end up on the desk in my office. Damn Legos...still fun after all these years!

Welcome to the black hole. You best surrender your wallet allready. It will be dead in no time anyway

Ponn

Banned

hopefully not both

Death Castle

Welcome! And LEGO is better as an adult, because you can potentially get more than you did as a kid!

Also, kiss your money goodbye. We are all filthy enablers in here. You have been warned.

We are all nice though.

Wow my GF will be so happy this Xmas! How much will the motor cost?

I think the power functions kit is about $40 and I'm guessing I'll need more track too because it looks like the included track won't be enough to go around the tree. My guess would be about another $60-$70. Maybe a fellow GAFer can confirm or give a better estimate.

Have you forgotten the saying, "Buy now, decide later?" You most likely can sell in a few years for MSRP or more if unopened. Maybe open and enjoy for a bit then sell for your money back or even a profit.
If you don't buy when it goes out of production you will likely have to pay a lot more.

Have you forgotten the saying, "Buy now, decide later?" You most likely can sell in a few years for MSRP or more if unopened. Maybe open and enjoy for a bit then sell for your money back or even a profit.
If you don't buy when it goes out of production you will likely have to pay a lot more.

That is such bad advice for this set in particular. You could very well be looking at a Death Star life cycle. Wait for a discount at least if you are going to see it as an investment. Open box will likely not net you a profit, since the hoard is going to investment hoard this set like crazy.

Yup. If you're in the US, Meijer is currently running a 50% off everything LEGO Dimensions. That's how I finished my Season 1 collection! Saved me like $100, ha.

Would you have bought all of them them at MSRP?

Welcome and if you want to involve your wife with something small and thoughtful, get her the wedding set. Should be around 10 euro / dollar.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=wedd...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=h-Df0mbsP58AQM:

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Would you have bought all of them them at MSRP?

Probably not. I bought nothing at retail price for Lego Dimensions. Everything was bought during a BOGO 50%, 40%, half off, etc. I enjoy the game and all the pieces, but it's a bit expensive for what you get LEGO wise.

You've come to the right place. Search your feelings and you know it to be true.

Technics is a nice starting point. So many LEGO sets will seem inexpensive after you buy those big Technic sets.

As a fan of the TV show that I enjoy watching with my kids, I'm mixed on the characters being voiced by different voice actors.

LEGO-Ninjago-Poster.jpg

Jackie Chan (“Kung Fu Panda,” “The Karate Kid”) stars as Master Wu
Justin Theroux (“Magamind 2,” “The Leftovers”) is Garmadon
Dave Franco (“Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising”) plays Lloyd
Olivia Munn (“X-Men: Apocalypse”) is Lloyd’s mom, Koko.

Fred Armisen (“The Jim Gaffigan Show,” “SNL”) voices Cole
Abbi Jacobson (“Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising”) plays Nya
Kumail Nanjiani (“Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates”) is Jay
Michael Peña (“Ant-Man,” “The Martian”) is Kai
Zach Woods (“Silicon Valley”) voices Zane.

Boogiepop

Noooooo! Went out for the series 16 minifigures with a friend, felt things up, and... I ended up not getting the penguin kid. So I totally should've double-checked that one myself instead of being trusting. And the worse part is that I definitely had a identified a penguin kid later in the checking, and set it aside because I "already had one". Thinking it's better to just bite the bullet and pay the premium to buy directly from someone instead of going out of my way to the Lego store again and hunting through bags for a single figure. Is ebay a valid way to go about it, or is the bricklink site I've seen people mention in here (but never used myself) the way to go for single minifigures from sets? Thinking I still need to get Shark Guy and Kendo Guy from series 15 as well, so I'd probably do the same for them as I haven't seen any bags from that set in my area...

Also, asking for a friend, but are there any sets that have noteworthy bookshelves/libraries outside of the new Doctor Strange set?

Finally finished the first floor of my theater. I took an overhead shot so that most of the detail isn't seen because I need to print up some stickers (which I have never done before) as well as some posters to put on the walls, and to also show just how big this sucker is compared to regular modulars. That is Brick Bank and half of Pet Shop next to it.
It feels good to finally have the building done on the bottom portion. Now to figure out how the hell I want the second tier to look, but I feel that the tough part is done, which is all the mini fig scale stuff. Although the second floor will have the projection room.

Also, asking for a friend, but are there any sets that have noteworthy bookshelves/libraries outside of the new Doctor Strange set?

Of currently available sets, probably just Big Bang Theory. If Monster Fighter's stuff were still around, I would suggest that.
Out of curiosity, why is your friend asking? Making some MOC bookcases is actually rather fast and easy. You just need one 1x1 SNOT brick per shelf at minimum, a few flat tiles, and just some basic bricks (1x2 bricks, 2xwhatever plates) to make some quick and dirty bookcases.
I made some in bulk a couple of years ago.
My Bookstore MOC

Boogiepop

Of currently available sets, probably just Big Bang Theory. If Monster Fighter's stuff were still around, I would suggest that.
Out of curiosity, why is your friend asking? Making some MOC bookcases is actually rather fast and easy. You just need one 1x1 SNOT brick per shelf at minimum, a few flat tiles, and just some basic bricks (1x2 bricks, 2xwhatever plates) to make some quick and dirty bookcases.
I made some in bulk a couple of years ago.
My Bookstore MOC

Thanks, I'll definitely pass that along! I'm not actually sure what precisely he was thinking, outside of Doctor Strange set apparently sparking a thirst for Lego books in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom