• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC Super Hero Girls

41230 – 14.99
41231 – 14.99
41232 – 19.99
41233 – 24.99
41234 – 29.99
41235 High School – 79.99

Those numbers strongly imply minidolls.
Sets starting with 41 I believe are Friends, Elves, Princess, Mixels, and and the upcoming Brickheadz based on 2016 sets.

Osahi

Built the microfighter Y-Wing that was included in that Build Your Own Adventure-book. I'm a sucker for these microfighter things and this is a pretty great one too!

Those numbers strongly imply minidolls.
Sets starting with 41 I believe are Friends, Elves, Princess, Mixels, and and the upcoming Brickheadz based on 2016 sets.

I can't see how they could be anything other than minidolls. The design of the characters is basically minidoll style.

Finished building the Beetle, so beautiful and such a great build (as everyone else has already said). The techniques used to get the curves just right are wonderful.

My favourite bit was building the "base," and there being a small hole in it which later on the engine fits into perfectly. Such a big smile right then.

cv3uatE.jpg

Had no intention of buying this until I saw it built in a LEGO store, and having built it I have absolutely no regrets at all.

They could make them like the King's Mech and that would be really cool, but it would be a similar price and I don't see them doing that for multiple figures. For a decently big figure in the $10-20 range, you need to use constraction, and it pretty much sucks for human characters.

Constraction is still indertaded but I blame the repeated armor pieces used for its limited representation.

The more Technic builds lately of constraction sets have been a huge plus and the new torso pieces have added much more options, I just wish there were alternate tires pieces better set for four legged creatures n such but I guess it can be built instead.

I picked up a few of the Ultimate Nexo Knights and Axl is what all bigfigs should be like, he's scaled much better than the existing ones and he can actually move his legs.

Lego should really redesign the bigfigs to be more like him.

3N16MA

Banned
Finished building the Beetle, so beautiful and such a great build (as everyone else has already said). The techniques used to get the curves just right are wonderful.

My favourite bit was building the "base," and there being a small hole in it which later on the engine fits into perfectly. Such a big smile right then.

cv3uatE.jpg

Had no intention of buying this until I saw it built in a LEGO store, and having built it I have absolutely no regrets at all.

Pretty close to next on my list. Can't wait to add the Caterham Super Seven to the collection.

chimster

holy cow its impossible to find the banana guy and penguin suit minifig from series 16. I think I've gone through 3 toysrus, 3 walmarts and 2 mastermind stores and managed to only find one banana guy and i'm still missing the penguin suit guy to finish off the collection. Pretty sure some re-seller in the area is hoarding them all because there are a ton of the other remaining figs from the series

Pretty sure some re-seller in the area is hoarding them all because there are a ton of the other remaining figs from the series
Most likely the case. After going through almost an entire case and only finding one of each of those and no other stores having shit makes me think resellers are combing the area.

wetwired

I've heard a rumour that that batman movie collectible minifig series will have 20 per set rather than 15, but I can't actually find the source, anyone else seen that rumour?

915B9NnM9mL._SL1500_.jpg

Started watching Gotham City Breakout, which is really great so far. But why is the included Nightwing the blue variant, while in the movie he is almost the entire time in his red clothes...

915B9NnM9mL._SL1500_.jpg

Started watching Gotham City Breakout, which is really great so far. But why is the included Nightwing the blue variant, while in the movie he is almost the entire time in his red clothes...

Glad to hear it's good, i have yet to watch mine... As for the fig, i can imagine them throwing us a bone with Blue Nightwing or something since we already got the red variant a while back in a set?

wetwired

It's a while a way but I'm designing a dedicated LEGO building space (currently I just build on the floor or wherever)

I'm interested in seeing what other people have for their setups?.

Without having looked into it my first inclination is to have a U shaped table/desk with a swivel stool in the middle, at the back of the table/desk the walls covered with sorting containers of some kind. I currently use a lot of those sorting containers like below, which were fine for a while, but as my collection grows it's proving unwieldy to use on large constructions.

3e6578ae-4f3b-4cb4-92ed-cc17141551f7.JPG

Has anyone get any recommendations for storage/sorting solutions/desks/tables/chairs etc? I'd love to see other peoples setups.

Koren

+1. They have great products... at really reasonable prices, too.

I've a bunch of long, flat of their boxes for tiles, two larger flat boxes for bricks and large plates, and several organizer packs: I use the boxes to store all those things you never know how to sort (animals, minifig accessories, flowers, fences, etc. the fact they're colored also help finding the right one easily) and the 4x4 container that hold each pack of 16 as basically free compartment dividers.

Between this an a bunch of screws organizers, I find a place for each part. I'm probably far from having as many parts as some people here, though.

TheFuzz

The advertisement mailer for the Disney castle came yesterday. My wife opened it and my 2 1/2 year old daughter FLIPPED out. She loves all things Disney and she's on a HUGE Tinkerbell kick. Guess that'll be a Double VIP purchase for our entire household. Oh well, so much for not spending so much on another set.

Everything is going exactly as planned.

Pixels

cv3uatE.jpg

Completely agree, it's a beautiful set. Just got the mini to go with it...

Rootbeer

Banned
I managed to grab that black knight set at TRU a few weeks ago when they were having the Nexo Knights sale.

The sale was clearly intended to clear out some of the older Nexo sets but lots of stores were getting the Aug sets early. Worked out nicely!

Ryuuroden

The parade of homes in my area this year will have a house with a room built specifically for Lego hobby. They asked my lug to help filling it with lego. Some of my stuff that may be in includes the mini cooper, vw camper, modified fire brigade, green grocer, Parisian restaurant, detective office, imperial flagship, Robbie house, and probably some of the more compact ucs star wars sets, along with some mocs. They actually prefer more compact display type sets as opposed to large mocs. The room has a wall of clear drawers as well as another wall of floor to ceiling shelving surrounding a entertainment center. Should be fun. Open to suggestions of things that would fit in a 2 32 by 32 baseplate wide and 1 baseplate deep shelf space. Height is really not an issue within reason. I really have to dust my flagship but everyone agrees that would be a real catchy piece.

The parade of homes in my area this year will have a house with a room built specifically for Lego hobby. They asked my lug to help filling it with lego. Some of my stuff that may be in includes the mini cooper, vw camper, modified fire brigade, green grocer, Parisian restaurant, detective office, imperial flagship, Robbie house, and probably some of the more compact ucs star wars sets, along with some mocs. They actually prefer more compact display type sets as opposed to large mocs. The room has a wall of clear drawers as well as another wall of floor to ceiling shelving surrounding a entertainment center. Should be fun. Open to suggestions of things that would fit in a 2 32 by 32 baseplate wide and 1 baseplate deep shelf space. Height is really not an issue within reason. I really have to dust my flagship but everyone agrees that would be a real catchy piece.
Sea Cow, of course.

Ponn

Banned

Your Orthanc moc should find its way in there.

Proof of concept for letters on my theater. I wanted them free standing, yet easily modifiable to build into a wall as well.
Very happy with these results.

It's a while a way but I'm designing a dedicated LEGO building space (currently I just build on the floor or wherever)

Without having looked into it my first inclination is to have a U shaped table/desk with a swivel stool in the middle, at the back of the table/desk the walls covered with sorting containers of some kind. I currently use a lot of those sorting containers like below, which were fine for a while, but as my collection grows it's proving unwieldy to use on large constructions.

Has anyone get any recommendations for storage/sorting solutions/desks/tables/chairs etc? I'd love to see other peoples setups.

Drawers (especially removable) are always a big part of the all the the big workspaces I've seen. They are the best solution IMO, but also the most expensive. Although I don't think those sorting containers shown are exactly cheap either.

If you haven't seen these, I've posted a few times some photo galleries of build workspaces.

http://www.tilesorstuds.com/p/lego-rooms.html
https://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickfrenzy/sets/72057594121569048/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinsar/albums/72157632511440297/page2/

U shaped is the most ideal, but space often limits it to L shaped or the simple - shaped most of us have.

This is my storage solution:

Not really.

I used to use a ton of containers like that (Stanley Sortmasters), but recently overhauled almost my entire collection:

The table is loaded with a bunch of Stack-On sorters. I put my most heavily used small parts, like all the 1x plates and variants right in front of me, as well as SNOT and tiles. Further down at the other table are less frequently used things, like hinges, etc.

The white Sterilite drawers are my regular 1x bricks, all in smaller ziplock (and only that brand fits in the drawers perfectly) containers that I can easily take out if I need bulk immediately. Also easier to move and alter organization if things are already in removable containers.

Out of frame there is another stack of those same Sterilite containers, and those are filled with all variations of slope and inverted slope pieces. Most everything is easily available just by spinning the desk chair around.

I still have larger bricks, like wall pieces, windows, etc in large sterlilite shoe bins. I have a large three drawer sterlilite container that is nothing but larger plates (4x4 and up), with bigger and less frequently used parts (train tracks, ship hulls) stashed in back of them.
There are still a bunch of ziplock food containers on a small bookcase out of the room for very infrequently used stuff (thruster parts, wheel arches, etc). I rarely dip into them, but they are there.

Eventually, I will have to invade the display space for sets and buy more drawers, but not quite yet. Probably once we move into a house, and I can get an L shaped desk to have the Stack-On stuff going all around, as those are very handy.

It took a long time to migrate from the Sortmasters to the Sterilite drawers, but doing my current MOC and some other disassemblies have shown it has paid off big time. Things are moving much faster and the room is generally cleaner. Generally...

EDIT: I still need to print up more stickers to put on the drawers for visual reference. I use Avery labels, as the smaller ones fit perfectly on the Stack-On drawers. I used the larger ones on the Sortmasters, but need to print new ones for the Sterilite stuff. But so far I have mostly memorized where things are in those drawers, or only have to open two before finding what I want.

Seriously, drawers make everything so much easier if you have the space to pull it off.

Side bonus to the Ziplock containers in the drawers: I can still put the lids on them so if I need to move again I can just snap those on and no spilling!
Sadly, I will have to do something different with the stack-on stuff.

wetwired

Drawers (especially removable) are always a big part of the all the the big workspaces I've seen. They are the best solution IMO, but also the most expensive. Although I don't think those sorting containers shown are exactly cheap either.

If you haven't seen these, I've posted a few times some photo galleries of build workspaces.

http://www.tilesorstuds.com/p/lego-rooms.html
https://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickfrenzy/sets/72057594121569048/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinsar/albums/72157632511440297/page2/

U shaped is the most ideal, but space often limits it to L shaped or the simple - shaped most of us have.

This is my storage solution:

Not really.

This is what I mocked up in Maya last night to try and figure out the space

This is what I mocked up in Maya last night to try and figure out the space

Looks great. And is that supposed to be a washing machine on the left side of the desk?
You might also be able to get away with taking a tiny bit of that left wall for stuff too.
Could also hide some drawers under the desk as well. Gotta maximize that space.

EDIT: I will take some pics later tonight or tomorrow and show some more angles. But the room is messy right now. I have a tendency to just leave some half abandoned ideas on the table as I keep working and then clean up when a project is done.

I just got back from a cruise with my family, and apparently the MSC cruise line has had these sets made for sale exclusively on their ships. This is a new ship in their line that comes out next year. 180 pcs for $10.90 in a shop on the boat that was selling bags of Hershey's minis 2 for $25. So not a bad deal, I'm assuming Lego set the price. I picked up two, but seeing what these sell for I should have spent more of my shipboard credit and got more.

0NkitDN.jpg

wetwired

Looks great. And is that supposed to be a washing machine on the left side of the desk?
You might also be able to get away with taking a tiny bit of that left wall for stuff too.
Could also hide some drawers under the desk as well. Gotta maximize that space.

EDIT: I will take some pics later tonight or tomorrow and show some more angles. But the room is messy right now. I have a tendency to just leave some half abandoned ideas on the table as I keep working and then clean up when a project is done.

Yeah, it's a garage so I have to share some of the space unfortunately.

Yeah I figured I could get some of those drawers on wheels with larger tubs in them underneath, put larger bricks or just generic block bricks sorted by colour.

Half abandoned ideas is half the reason I want to do this, unfortunately at the moment I build on the floor or wherever I can and have to pack it all away at the end of the night so the kids to get into it.

mclem

So... when do VIP earlybirds go live, generally? 15th or 16th? Midnight local time or midnight US time, 8AM local time or 8AM US time? I am poised and ready!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just got back from a cruise with my family, and apparently the MSC cruise line has had these sets made for sale exclusively on their ships. This is a new ship in their line that comes out next year. 180 pcs for $10.90 in a shop on the boat that was selling bags of Hershey's minis 2 for $25. So not a bad deal, I'm assuming Lego set the price. I picked up two, but seeing what these sell for I should have spent more of my shipboard credit and got more.

0NkitDN.jpg

Goodness... You think that thing's got enough stickers?
Nice pickup though!

For those of you using Stack Ons or Akro Mills drawers, I wanted to mention the labels made by The Brick Architect. This is the solution I am using for my labels.

He is using a special kind of Brother label printer (which I bought), that is a barrier to entry, but I have found it works really great. The printer wasn't too bad ($40), and we have leveraged it for my wife's business, she just charges me for the label tape ;).

For those of you using Stack Ons or Akro Mills drawers, I wanted to mention the labels made by The Brick Architect. This is the solution I am using for my labels.

He is using a special kind of Brother label printer (which I bought), that is a barrier to entry, but I have found it works really great. The printer wasn't too bad ($40), and we have leveraged it for my wife's business, she just charges me for the label tape ;).
I use Avery sheets in my laser printer for those. I just copy and paste bricks icons off of Brickset. A small pack of the labels is only about $4 or so. Just in case you don't want the Brother ones.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

We have the exact model he uses here at the office.

I like that he has a picture of how he does his sorting. It's one that I can basically replicate and be happy with. Which I may do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom