• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyari

Has anyone in Lego gaf talked about the fact that the Ghostbusters 2016 Ecto 1&2 set promo pictures feature multiple different Holtzmann faces and and bodies and there appears to be no way to get it yet? No Dimensions set with her and the plain version of her uniform and glasses wearing face from promo shots aren't in the set either.

jh.jpg

So weird.

wetwired

Out of curiosity, what for?

2 reasons, I want to do an ikea frame of all the Ghostbusters minifigs, but I still want to have a set of the minifigs out that I can use. And secondly I want to make one firehouse the same size as my original one that will fit the Ectomobile inside without having to remove furniture

They can wait a bit with that. Not sure if I can handle the stress again of trying to get them all. Series 1 was gone almost the moment I found them first in the wild (I think two weeks later they weren't on S@H Europe anymore), and I only was able to complete my set because I arrived in a shop the day they got a buckload delivered from their HQ only after they were gone everywhere else (series hadn't been available in that shop before)

(But I am all for new Disney figs! Gimme!)

It's hard to imagine LEGO not doing another Disney CMF series. Only reason I can think of is LEGO does theme sets.

Here in the US Disney CMF series 1 isn't done as it shows temporarily out of stock on the LEGO website.
Speculation on my part, but seeing that CMF series 16 was extremely limited in supply and still sold out online makes me think LEGO did another Disney CMF production run that reduced production of Series 16.

iosefe

It's hard to imagine LEGO not doing another Disney CMF series. Only reason I can think of is LEGO does theme sets.

Here in the US Disney CMF series 1 isn't done as it shows temporarily out of stock on the LEGO website.
Speculation on my part, but seeing that CMF series 16 was extremely limited in supply and still sold out online makes me think LEGO did another Disney CMF production run that reduced production of Series 16.
So another round of the first Disney ones later this fall/winter?

My local store still has a bunch of the 16 figures

Has anyone in Lego gaf talked about the fact that the Ghostbusters 2016 Ecto 1&2 set promo pictures feature multiple different Holtzmann faces and and bodies and there appears to be no way to get it yet? No Dimensions set with her and the plain version of her uniform and glasses wearing face from promo shots aren't in the set either.

jh.jpg

So weird.
Very good catch. Pretty sure there's still at least one GB16 Dimensions set that hasn't been revealed right? So far they've only shown the Story Pack but that leaked set list had at least one more, we just don't know if it's a Fun Pack or Team Pack.

My money's on a Team Pack with Kevin and Holtzman, the two runaway hit characters from the movie and also gives players a boy GB16 character to play as (not that I give a shit but I could totally see marketing play into it that way).

mojiimbo

But of course...

Now, would it work on PAB cups? Just go nuts!

Also, when does the PAB wall change next? I need to plan my next trip.
Unfortunately aside from the big exclusives and the EV3, Pick a Brick is also excluded.

Hmm, specifically excluded are:

10214 Tower Bridge
10218 Pet Shop
10220 VW Camper
10232 Palace Cinema
10236 Ewok Village
10243 Parisian Restaurant
10244 Fairground Mixer
10245 Santa's Workshop
10246 Detective's Office
10247 Ferris Wheel
10248 Ferrari F40
10251 Brick Bank
10252 VW Beetle
10253 Big Ben
21128 The Village
31313 Mindstorms EV3
42056 Porsche GT3
42053 Volvo EW160E
71040 The Disney Castle
71006 The Simpsons House
71016 The Kwik-E-Mart
75059 Sandcrawler
75060 Slave 1
75098 Attack on Hoth
75827 Firehouse HQ
76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier
76052 Batcave
10254 (Holiday Train?)
75159 (Death Star?)
21307 (Yellow LEGO Ideas car?)
Gift Cards
Pick-A-Brick purchases

+ almost assuredly Sydney Opera House, Ninjago Temple, Tie Fighter.

From what I've seen, nowadays the *big* changes to then wall come whenever they switch over the Pick-A-Model builds, which seems to be every...quarter? They just did the last changeover last month I think, so it's a good time if you want a bunch of tiny wheels, axels and rims I think. The sand green bricks were new this time too, I think?

Speaking of which, if anyone is desperately looking for the Porsche I would try calling your local stores, everyone *should* be getting one last big shipment(until Q4) any day now.

iosefe

for the Friend's and Family promo, it is only from the sep 15-18th* and employees give em to their friends and family and they can only be used at the store for the employee they were given

so make friends with a local Lego employee?

*i think that's the right date

So another round of the first Disney ones later this fall/winter?

My local store still has a bunch of the 16 figures

Where is that located? I haven't been to a LEGO store in awhile. They were always out if they ever got more in. Series 16 still shows sold out online. Target is the only place I've seen CMF 16 consistently.

iosefe

Where is that located? I haven't been to a LEGO store in awhile. They were always out if they ever got more in. Series 16 still shows sold out online. Target is the only place I've seen CMF 16 consistently.

just look around more

and again, while original, official release wasn't until Sep 1st, LEGO stores were told they could put them out upon recieving them though. i would at least expect a surge around then

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the detailed pic of the back.

So, is anyone here planning on getting this 2016 Death Star? Just curious what the interest is like. So far seems like everyone either has the earlier version or is passing? But I'm wondering if anyone is on the other side.

So, is anyone here planning on getting this 2016 Death Star? Just curious what the interest is like. So far seems like everyone either has the earlier version or is passing? But I'm wondering if anyone is on the other side.

I do not have v1, so I am interested.

Probably gonna get the Morro dragon. Looks so cool and it's on sale for $47 at my local Wal Mart.

I don't have the other one and I feel like that there's a lot of other much nicer looking sets that I could get for a lot less than $500. Expecially this year with the Disney castle set and the ghost busters headquarters. Honestly, its just ugly. All the little dioramas are cute, but not $500 cute.

Kyari

Very good catch. Pretty sure there's still at least one GB16 Dimensions set that hasn't been revealed right? So far they've only shown the Story Pack but that leaked set list had at least one more, we just don't know if it's a Fun Pack or Team Pack.

My money's on a Team Pack with Kevin and Holtzman, the two runaway hit characters from the movie and also gives players a boy GB16 character to play as (not that I give a shit but I could totally see marketing play into it that way).

Its even more perplexing in that the regular uniform/glasses wearing Holtzmann is the default promo image on Lego's store even:
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Ecto-1-2-75828

Heads up PDX legogaf (I know there's a few of you)...tons of Disney CMF at OMSI right now. You shouldn't need to pay admission if you're just hitting the gift shop.

lol at the new Death Star. Well I suppose I can't blame them for not messing with perfection. Too bad they are charging so much more for it though. Saves me five hundred bucks. Man, there are hardly any sets on my radar right now. I thought it was gonna be Death Star, Disney Castle and a few smaller things. Still gonna buy the castle.

R-User!

Keep in mind for those who want but don't have Ewok Village/Sandcrawler, either of those might soon be discontinued when the Death Star launches; or by years end perhaps. So snag either of those during double points if they're still around by then.

Though perhaps Hoth may perish similar to the B-Wing? All they'd have to do is offer 2,500 points ($125.00 value) and those Hoths would probably clear out in a jiffy.

But I doubt that would happen during this age of TLG. You never know though. I imagine if Hoth continues to underperform through the holidays, then perhaps next year before May the 4th or during, they might do something like that though. We'll see.

iosefe

Dog pissed on my Legos

I have a lot, like four clothes hampers full

How does I wash?

Help Legogaf

a large bin. filled with water and a half cup of Simple Green, maybe more. probably more.

swish around, dry the bricks with a regular fan, maybe hang them in a mesh bag

Dog pissed on my Legos

I have a lot, like four clothes hampers full

How does I wash?

Help Legogaf

Dump in bathtub with a little dish soap and water. Swirl around and let soak overnight. Drain and fill again a couple of times. Set outside on a blanket or inside with a fan blowing.

It's a $100 more though. That's one hell of a pill to swallow with the previous one just retired, its like super obvious cash grab.
I know, but I love the previous one so much. So technically putting it on a year end list, whether I buy it or not, seems fair. But, I didn't buy the new one, so I am not honestly calling it a best set.

I feel a special honorable mention incoming.

Dog pissed on my Legos

Is that a euphemism?

Guy 1: "How was your day?"
Guy 2: "Dog pissed on my LEGO!"
Guy 1: "Yeah, it's tough when the wife doesn't like your hobby."

Go with the soap and water soaking method. I've done it with great results. You don't need much soap. Helps if you have a colander or something when rinsing the soapy water off.

FYI: all Barnes and Noble stores will be having a group Lego build event at 4pm Saturday. Just a big bin o Lego and basic models to build.

Makes me think of 30 Rock and L.U.N.C.H.

willp2003

I didn't buy the old one as the figs were so old, but I'm not a big fan of the play set style. The more I look at it the more tempted I am. I have some expiring VIP points that need using, but I'll wait to see what the price is like in the UK. I think I'll finally get the sandcrawler as my next double VIP points purchase, and have a good think about the DS.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Until I saw it just now I was 100% sure to get it. I even started putting away money for it..but now I'm not sure. I hoped it would be more like the Death Star II 10143. More a space station model not a play set.
I'll probably pass.

Maybe I'll go for the 75144-1: Snowspeeder or the Sandcrawler now.

Osahi

I don't have V1, and I'm not planning on getting this. It's just too expensive (I just got DIsney Castle, and that made me all nervous allready) and allthough the wife finds it a cool thing, she isn't into Star Wars so, unlike the Castle, there is no way I can display it in a cool place (all my Star Wars stuff is banished to my gameing room/library)

Depending on whether a project of mine got approved with the film commision (the decision is made the end of september) I might get the Slave-1 with double VIP. It's the only UCS that is not super pricey and has a good price-to-part ratio

Its even more perplexing in that the regular uniform/glasses wearing Holtzmann is the default promo image on Lego's store even:
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Ecto-1-2-75828

Probably a late change? On the box it's only the big glasses wearing one they show, and it depends on the pictures at Lego Store what figure is shown. Maybe the glasses-one will be available in Dimensions, like someone speculated allready. Might pic that up if it's the case, as it's a very cool fig (both versions are)

Osahi

literally the same god damned thing... just 100$ more expensive. Fuck this shit. Lego is in full arrogance mode here.

To their defence, the previous version came out years ago, and prices (and production costs) do rise over time.

It's still very expensive compared to similar sized Disney Castle, so the Star Wars tax is in full effect (though DS has way more figs offcourse). Makes you wonder, as both are Disney properties, if it is really so much more expensive to license Star Wars, though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
To their defence, the previous version came out years ago, and prices (and production costs) do rise over time.

It's still very expensive compared to similar sized Disney Castle, so the Star Wars tax is in full effect (though DS has way more figs offcourse). Makes you wonder, as both are Disney properties, if it is really so much more expensive to license Star Wars, though.

It's strange because the set was only recently discontinued, right? So it's not like the production changed that much. they were content selling the old one at $400 for years. The re-release is super strange. The only thing I can think of is that TLG licensed the Death Star years back. Once the license for that specific set ran out, maybe they had to pay to re-license it specifically? But that doesn't make sense because no other brick brand can produce Star Wars sets because TLG is (to my knowledge) the exclusive license holder for brick toys. So the idea of TLG licensing the Death Star specifically seems silly.

Truth be told, I hate to sound cynical, but I really believe this re-release is all about the money. TLG releases a ton of Star Wars sets every year. I can only imagine that they figured the huge resurgence in popularity of Star Wars and all of the upcoming films was a good way to increase profits.

Having said all that, I think the set will be cool for people who missed out on the old one. It's a great set with a lot of really classic scenes built into it. I'm happy I got mine for such a small markup in such good condition.

Hagi

Hmm for that price and looks I think I'm just going to get the Sandcrawler and Ewok Village instead. Such a shame but I guess my expectations got away from me.

Does Lego ever give a total number for how many sets are made/printed for stuff like that? I assume it'll be a million total world wide for the Death Star or am I way off

100 K?

Koren

Does Lego ever give a total number for how many sets are made/printed for stuff like that? I assume it'll be a million total world wide for the Death Star or am I way off
A million seems way off to me. That would mean that 3% of the bricks produced by Lego in the past years were bricks for the Death Star...

I'd like to know. Even 100k seems a lot, to me, although it's more reasonable.

Osahi

It's strange because the set was only recently discontinued, right? So it's not like the production changed that much. they were content selling the old one at $400 for years. The re-release is super strange. The only thing I can think of is that TLG licensed the Death Star years back. Once the license for that specific set ran out, maybe they had to pay to re-license it specifically? But that doesn't make sense because no other brick brand can produce Star Wars sets because TLG is (to my knowledge) the exclusive license holder for brick toys. So the idea of TLG licensing the Death Star specifically seems silly.

Truth be told, I hate to sound cynical, but I really believe this re-release is all about the money. TLG releases a ton of Star Wars sets every year. I can only imagine that they figured the huge resurgence in popularity of Star Wars and all of the upcoming films was a good way to increase profits.

Having said all that, I think the set will be cool for people who missed out on the old one. It's a great set with a lot of really classic scenes built into it. I'm happy I got mine for such a small markup in such good condition.

You make a fair point, and we're offcourse only speculating.

Money will probably have been a factor, but that doesn't exclude the 'rising production cost'-argument. It could be they discontinued the Old Death Star too because the profit margin became smaller and smaller (and the figs needed an update), and correct me if I'm mistaken: Lego never raised the MRSP of a set before, did they?

Whatever it is, I understand people are disapointed in it because it's a clear reissue with minor updates, and certainly because the previous UCS was such a disapointment too. But 500 dollar/euro for a Star Wars set of 4000 pieces and 20 figs is what you can actually expect these days, no?

Anyone here have any experience with this set?
Just showed up in the LEGO Store in Stockholm and I'm thinking about buying it for one of my 3 little sisters this christmas(she got Rey's Speeder last year and we built it together :3).

Are there any other sets coming before then that I should know about that'll cost less than €35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom