• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Welp, my bank's happy with that reveal at least.

Other than the Disney logo not actually seeing many blatant changes. Just different assemblies of all the smaller interior models. Pass.

Jimbro72

Wow, being someone that collects pretty much all SW LEGO, seeing that this is damn near an exact duplicate of the previous one makes this an extremely difficult sell to me at $500. Couldn't they have put forth more effort in the redesign at least?

Any chance this is fake and not the actual model? Maybe someone putting out a good photoshop job to mess with everyone?

Experien

Wow, being someone that collects pretty much all SW LEGO, seeing that this is damn near an exact duplicate of the previous one makes this an extremely difficult sell to me at $500. Couldn't they have put forth more effort in the redesign at least?

Any chance this is fake and not the actual model? Maybe someone putting out a good photoshop job to mess with everyone?

I would be quick to say yes with all that open space but the better picture is a "plant" I feel and play features will be listed on the left in that empty space, like the original box. There are a few differences like the prison laser explosion that wouldn't be faked if it wasn't at least a little legit.

Rootbeer

Banned
Here is the back

09xETql.jpg

Higher in this thread there is an official Lego store page. Xhexk it out, it is not fake.

Mixed feelings about this one. The old one really needed an update with the old style figures. But it would have been great if they also made look a bit better.

Happy that I do not need to buy this (do not have the old one either). A bit bummed that it is the next dissapointment in a long line of failing UCS this year.

Edit: for the people conplaining about the price bump. They did not increase the price of the old one in about 8 years. This one will need to last years and years as well. Better start high and get some discounts in from time to time.

Rootbeer

Banned
Honestly was hoping for more of a revamp, but we were well aware that this was possibly all that it was going to be.

I don't think the refreshed minifigs and small tweaks are enough to get me to drop $500. Maybe next year when I hit a dry spell of purchases or something.

Guess I'm going to get the Disney Castle! With Disney CMF Series 2 just around the corner, I think it's a better fit for my collection right now.

I'll be getting my Star Wars fix very, very soon regardless thanks to all the nice looking Rogue One sets.

2016: The year of the lazy Star Wars UCS sets.

The set will still be great, because the Best Star is the Best Star. I am both relieved and disappointed that it has minimal changes.

I will be waiting on this one, or outright passing.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't have the previous Death Star so I'm interested in this one.

I can see how it is a disappointment to those who have the previous version and were looking for less of a playset.

Jimbro72

Well, since this appears to be the real deal, I'm out. $500 for more or less a straight rehash (real curious to see where all those extra peices ended up) and I just can't justify it. For an extra $100 I can get both Big Ben and the Disney castle, both of which I want. This, well, I already own this from the first time it came out. I wonder if sales will be really sluggish because of it not being different enough from the last one, which many already have, and the $500 price tag.

At the same time, releasing a somehow different star may have attracted different customers. Most people interested in the previous one have had a lot of time to buy one.

Some hoarders and resellers will cry if it's an update, too ^_^

Better picture so that you can be more fully disappointed:

Literally the only differences I can find are a couple added spring-loaded shooters and some random little pieces of junk to fill out the tiny very bottom floor.

Thank goodness.

I still haven't cracked the box to 10188 and was worried I'd find the new one way too attractive (and who needs two Death Stars!). So glad that it's virtually identical - no need to buy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just watched Jang's 10 minute time lapse build of the Disney Castle. What a gorgeous build.

valkyre

Better picture so that you can be more fully disappointed:

Literally the only differences I can find are a couple added spring-loaded shooters and some random little pieces of junk to fill out the tiny very bottom floor.

What
A
Fucking
Joke

Seriously we had that Hoth UCS thing now this... should we be worried about UCS series from now on?

R-User!

Well, for those who don't have the Best Star this is still "good news".

I am likely to pass though. Would have liked something new and different. Well, perhaps the Millenium Falcon for May the 4th will be a nice revisit for the many that don't have it yet. Not that I know that it is happening, but more like projecting a likely set to celebrate the 40th anniversary. Or perhaps that UCS Snowspeeder?... Ehh? Eh.

Give me a UCS C-3PO (4-5000 pieces I know, i know) to accompany R2, or a UCS BB8. Something fresh. Perhaps a UCS Venator Class Star Destroyer, or the Invisible Hand or Coruscant in the vein of the Best Star, only PT themed scenes; Palpatines room, a Senate Chamber, Jedi Temple room, Padmes apartment, Opera Room, Sidious' hidden hangar, Death Stick pub, Dex's Diner room.....)

valkyre

I am likely to pass though. Would have liked something new and different. Well, perhaps the Millenium Falcon for May the 4th will be a nice revisit for the many that don't have it yet. Not that I know that it is happening, but more like projecting a likely set to celebrate the 40th anniversary. Or perhaps that UCS Snowspeeder?... Ehh? Eh.

Give me a UCS C-3PO (4-5000 pieces I know, i know) to accompany R2, or a UCS BB8. Something fresh. Perhaps a UCS Venator Class Star Destroyer, or the Invisible Hand or Coruscant in the vein of the Best Star, only PT themed scenes; Palpatines room, a Senate Chamber, Jedi Temple room, Padmes apartment, Opera Room, Sidious' hidden hangar, Death Stick pub, Dex's Diner room.....)

Are there strong rumors about ucs falcon?

So where are the pics of the NEW Death Star? I'm only seeing posts of the old one.

Haha. You made a funny.

Are there strong rumors about ucs falcon?

There has been a lot of talk, but as far as I know no evidence. Would make a lot of sence now that the dish is a rectangle. My best bet would be next year to accompany episode VIII. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Fun to see you guys hating so much on the Brick Show. I feel similar about Jang. The BS brings way more energy and show the models and figs of in a better way.

What both have in common to a detriment is their 'blind' love if everything Lego does. They can be a little critical of big flaws, but in general they cut Lego a lot of slack. In general the Lego reviewing business is lightyears away from the way games are looked at.
Jang's personal opinion doesn't matter, though. That's not why I'm watching the videos. I watch because he covers the sets in detail, giving a thorough overview that allows me to make my own judgement.

Jang also does show, not tell. His videos are exquisitely lit and filmed, so it's very easy to spot details and interesting parts. Since he comes from a MOC perspective, he also tends to point of neat stuff and how interesting the build itself is.

Brick Show on the other hand is more of the OCD-ish listing of facts. I think they became better with this, but it used to be very mechanical ("this has 395 parts for $40 so the P2P isn't too good"). It's like when I watch Transformers reviews and half the review is pointing out every point of articulation. I really don't need to hear the words "ankle tilt" or "waist swivel" ever again :/.

3N16MA

Banned

Cloud City.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Seriously we had that Hoth UCS thing now this... should we be worried about UCS series from now on?

On the other side of the coin, maybe they're tossing out all these quick, lazy UCS sets because they're working on some super awesome UCS sets? Haha

Ponn

Banned
On the other side of the coin, maybe they're tossing out all these quick, lazy UCS sets because they're working on some super awesome UCS sets? Haha

The other rumor was a UCS Snowspeeder which i'm not particularly interested in (I have my AT-AT and regular Snowspeeder that look great on display). I suppose though that would probably be better welcomed than these last two sets.

I'm honestly more interested in other theme's "UCS" sets like the super hero lines.

3N16MA

Banned
Just to chime in about Jang. His reviews are to the point and detailed without much in the way of filler. Professional with enough of his personality to make his videos unique.

Bonus being that I find his reviews relaxing.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Jang is the nicest person on YouTube.

In an arena where everyone else is shouting/screaming and 'being edgy' his laidback approach is refreshing. He highlights interesting pieces, doesnt get too caught up in hype and just seems a generally great guy. He posts videos of himself opening Bricklink orders, and for whatever reason... they're fascinating.

I watched a few BrickShow videos when they had the jump on a set or a review of a modular/whatever first but yeesht, I can't watch that long-term.

Nothing wrong with Brick Show as I said. Their style is just not what I am looking for. Jang maybe a little bit like listening to the local radio of local sports team. I'm ok that he is a Lego homer, I know that going in. I want to love every set too. I find his reviews professionally done and focused on the sets and builds as others have said. He just scratches my Lego YouTube itch.

Taisaijin

Jang is tops. So much so that I forgive that Megab**k filler.

BrickShow used to be my hot take go-to but it's lost it's charm and current "staff" seem to phone it in replete with click-bait titles and thumbnails.

Thanks to the Legogaf crew for exposing me to Sauriel's (mostly technic) reviews, thorough and insightful w/ a bit of well placed sarcasm / honest critiques that, despite the subtitled approach, have a lot of charm.

For those who missed it, his recent GT3 review is great:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH5uajsvjan8wE6GWOrRJg

Honestly was hoping for more of a revamp, but we were well aware that this was possibly all that it was going to be.

I don't think the refreshed minifigs and small tweaks are enough to get me to drop $500. Maybe next year when I hit a dry spell of purchases or something.

Guess I'm going to get the Disney Castle! With Disney CMF Series 2 just around the corner, I think it's a better fit for my collection right now.

I'll be getting my Star Wars fix very, very soon regardless thanks to all the nice looking Rogue One sets.

Wait. When does Disney CMF Series 2 come out?

There is a small part of me that is happy that the new Death Star is almost identical, just because it messes with hoarders and resellers.

Also, with the Death Star, if it ain't broke...

Rootbeer

Banned
Wait. When does Disney CMF Series 2 come out?
Guys, it's been widely speculated for a while now. I'm not dropping anything new. Nothing solid has leaked yet cause it's a ways off (Batman CMF first and even THOSE haven't leaked)

We've seen the frenzy for the Disney series that was right up there as one of the most popular ones they have done, and they released the Disney Castle similarly to how they released the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart to coincide with that series. That is where these theories are coming from.

Ponn

Banned
Guys, it's been widely speculated for a while now. I'm not dropping anything new. Nothing solid has leaked yet cause it's a ways off (Batman CMF first and even THOSE haven't leaked)

We've seen the frenzy for the Disney series that was right up there as one of the most popular ones they have done, and they released the Disney Castle similarly to how they released the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart to coincide with that series. That is where these theories are coming from.

Ok...but when do they come out? Come on man, hook us up. You want money for the leaks right? Crap. I got a couple extra genie figs I can trade for leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom