• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone here have any experience with this set?Just showed up in the LEGO Store in Stockholm and I'm thinking about buying it for one of my 3 little sisters this christmas(she got Rey's Speeder last year and we built it together :3).

Are there any other sets coming before then that I should know about that'll cost less than €35?

I have been eying that set as well. Saw it for 16 euro at Karstadt or Kaufhof a while back and should have gone for it. Looks like a great set.

What licenses does she like? This will help find a set a lot more easy.

Clefargle

Is that a euphemism?

Guy 1: "How was your day?"
Guy 2: "Dog pissed on my LEGO!"
Guy 1: "Yeah, it's tough when the wife doesn't like your hobby."

Go with the soap and water soaking method. I've done it with great results. You don't need much soap. Helps if you have a colander or something when rinsing the soapy water off.

Everything I post is a euphemism

But yeah thanks, will have to try this soon. And I'll have to use that phrase again next time I'm down.

The "new" Death Star is a gut punch of disappointment. Oof.

Yeah i'm kinda getting used to it now though... I mean, when was the last time we were TRULY blown away by the reveal of a much anticipated set? Hoth, Batcave, hell even the new Disney Castle, while decent to pretty nice is miles away from blowing away my expectations in a huge way like with some of the reveals a couple years back... Seems Lego is indeed going into a direction i don't necessarily seem to appreciate hmm..

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah i'm kinda getting used to it now though... I mean, when was the last time we were TRULY blown away by the reveal of a much anticipated set? Hoth, Batcave, hell even the new Disney Castle, while decent to pretty nice is miles away from blowing away my expectations in a huge way like with some of the reveals a couple years back... Seems Lego is indeed going into a direction i don't necessarily seem to appreciate hmm..

Eh, Disney Castle is something special. I think you may be in the minority there. The rest you're right on, though. :3

I have been eying that set as well. Saw it for 16 euro at Karstadt or Kaufhof a while back and should have gone for it. Looks like a great set.

What licenses does she like? This will help find a set a lot more easy.
She's 9 and likes City, Friends, Star Wars and DC Comics.

She's 9 and likes City, Friends, Star Wars and DC Comics.
Check out this place for the best Amazon to buy it cheap. Can save you a lot of money:
http://brickset.com/buy/amazon

Brickwatch.net is good as well.

76053 Gotham City Cycle Chase
Gets you a Harley figure, Deathshot and Batman plus two bikes.

The Mighty Micros are very fun (small 10 euro sets) as well and you get 2 super heroes right away.

75082 TIE Advanced Prototype gets a lot of praise around here and is now 40€ on Amazon.de, normal price over here is 55.

A set for the minigures in the Star Wars theme and if she likes Rebels is:

Star Wars 75090 Ezra’s Speeder Bike
Will get you Ezra and Sabine (two of the main characters) and a Stormtrooper. The builds in this set are so-so, but ok for a starter. Can be made in about 30 min- 45 min I guess.

The other themes is not something I can help you out with unfortunately. It is a difficult price point in all honesty. There are a plenty of 35 euro Star Wars sets (freezing chamber, Hoth, Kanans speeder bike), but they are all very mediocre in my opinion. Star Wars gets good at the higher price range (€80+). Bought a lot of cheap sets when I started out and they are just not that fun to built and are not really display worthy.

Edit: the set you found is excellent as well from the look of it, but keep in mind that it is made for a bit younger kids moving over from Duplo to Lego, so with bigger pieces and such.

Eh, Disney Castle is something special. I think you may be in the minority there. The rest you're right on, though. :3

It's special alright, but when it was first announced, i pictured something a lot more detailed and "complete" i guess... Most of all i imagined a crapton of minifigs with it though...

What we ended up getting still looks good, but i don't like the way they handled the different "themed rooms" if you can even call them that, and also a bunch of large pieces in the front instead of using more bricks to get more detail (even if the pricetag would have jumped up slightly as a result, do it right or don't do it at all).

That said, i will buy it since it still looks good overall, just a far cry from what could/should have been imo.

Thing about the new Death Star is that it's not for people who already have a Death Star. I mean, the only really significant change I could think of making to the old one would be to just cover it in plates so you could kind of open up each section individually and it closes up to make something that looks like a Death Star, but even then it's still basically the same thing. Sell a 4,000 piece Death Star without the internal stuff and how would you even do that? Where would the parts go?

Basically people who have a Death Star won't need another UCS one no matter what you do, this is for people who don't have one and so it being the same is an okay decision.

And the $100 extra, assuming it's that, is a piss-take, but it's still a fair bit less than it'd cost to get one on eBay I imagine.

willp2003

Finished building the UCS Slave 1 today. Looks great, but the top (if held vertically) of the windshield seems very loose and has a gap between the base. Is that normal? I'll stick a picture up if needs be.

I'm with you as far as the mega sets are concerned. Luckily, Lego is still putting out some real gems in the smaller sets and super hero stuff. For example, the creation RV camper is really amazing and a quite unexpected surprise.

All the bigger sets you mentioned are overpriced and underwhelming IMO. Emphasis on overpriced.

I'm with you as far as the mega sets are concerned. Luckily, Lego is still putting out some real gems in the smaller sets and super hero stuff. For example, the creation RV camper is really amazing and a quite unexpected surprise.

All the bigger sets you mentioned are overpriced and underwhelming IMO. Emphasis on overpriced.
Yeah, Vacation Getaways was an out of nowhere amazing set. Many of us were excited at first pics, but it honestly blew well past my expectations. Just phenomenal.

Lego dimensions. Yes or nah? Been debating going to Best Buy to get in on the sale

It's very easy to burn out on Lego gameplay, but it's an excellent Lego game for what it's worth, and the crossover aspect is hilarious. Just get a few figures you're interested in and don't go for any completion or it will drive you mad (and poor).

I considered Vacation Getaways today, but I went with another set that had more parts I need. I will probably get around to it once there's a sale this fall.

It's very easy to burn out on Lego gameplay, but it's an excellent Lego game for what it's worth, and the crossover aspect is hilarious. Just get a few figures you're interested in and don't go for any completion or it will drive you mad (and poor).

Any sets you recommend that are good? I know at minimum I want the back to the future set

If we look just at inflation it should be $445.97 according to
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com

200 extra parts is 20 dollar. So then we are looking 35 dollar difference. Not all that bad. The lack of improvements is a lot bigger issue.
But Lego price per piece doesn't increase with inflation. So there's an $80 difference simply because Lego is saying "give me money". I'd say that's pretty ridiculous

I bet the only reason for the refresh is so that they could do that

But Lego price per piece doesn't increase with inflation. So there's an $80 difference simply because Lego is saying "give me money". I'd say that's pretty ridiculous

I bet the only reason for the refresh is so that they could do that

Either you've got the set already in which case the price doesn't matter, or you haven't got the set in which case even the extra $80 is a big saving on what in would cost you.

The price could obviously be a bit more friendly but it's still a better deal than it's possible to get right now. It still hasn't been confirmed, either, so pinch of salt for now!

Basically people who have a Death Star won't need another UCS one no matter what you do, this is for people who don't have one and so it being the same is an okay decision.

I agree with you completely.

For me it's a bit different than the situation we had with the Winter Toy Shop. I was very disappointed when it got announced last year - not because the value of my original one was somehow diminished, but because I look forward to good, new WV models each year. That one simply represented the second disappointing year in a row. I'm happy everybody who missed out on the original could get it but I was also annoyed that I wouldn't be expanding my village in 2015.

As far as the UCS sets go, I've got faith that they'll get things on track after the UCS Hoth debacle. This Death Star re-release was probably in the works for ages so they weren't going to switch it up. Keep in mind that over the course of a couple of years we got the B-Wing, X-Wing, Tie & Slave One which are all terrific. I can't comment on the Sandcrawler & Ewok Village but people love them.

Long story short, as you said this is just a way to refresh the minifigs and give people a chance to get an iconic piece of the SW universe. I'm cool with that, and happy it wasn't an epic redesign that would be itching my wallet.

NysGAF

I need help. LEGO-GAF! The LEGO entertainment is here setting up for my son's birthday party. It's 1.5 hours of building and play and I'm not really sure what else. The question is, do I need to tip the guy? I tipped the pizza guy so I'm worried I'm supposed to tip this guy too.

Boogiepop

Any sets you recommend that are good? I know at minimum I want the back to the future set

Yeah, +1 on this question. I'm kind of half considering jumping on, and it'd be nice to know if there were any "oh, this one is especially amazing, so be sure to grab it" thing, or if I should just focus on the franchises that interest me and ignore the rest.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I need help. LEGO-GAF! The LEGO entertainment is here setting up for my son's birthday party. It's 1.5 hours of building and play and I'm not really sure what else. The question is, do I need to tip the guy? I tipped the pizza guy so I'm worried I'm supposed to tip this guy too.
Just do it :)

Koren

this is for people who don't have one and so it being the same is an okay decision.
Don't you think that most people that don't own one actually don't want this model?

I mean, it has been of sale for a long time, and retirement was known, so it you really wanted it, it could have been the last chance.

Granted, some haven't bought it because it was expensive, but the new one still is (actually a bit more).

So the target are the people that was interested in the previous model, but have always choosed to not buy it? Is this a larger market than people that would have been interested in a different version of the DS?

Ponn

Banned

Yeah, +1 on this question. I'm kind of half considering jumping on, and it'd be nice to know if there were any "oh, this one is especially amazing, so be sure to grab it" thing, or if I should just focus on the franchises that interest me and ignore the rest.

Wall-E doesn't get talked about enough here so i'm going to mention it. There was a lot of problems when it first came out but Lego was really good about fixing the problems and sending people the parts they needed for free. The release of it after that was murky and i'm not certain how readily available it is now but everyone really should pick it up. It was a wonderful build, looks amazingly close to a real life Wall-E and everyone who sees it on display talks about it. It's absolutely adorable and i'm positive with the weird issues it had and production it will probably rise way up when it retires.

edit: Shit just noticed you all were talking about Dimensions. I'm going to leave the above because its all true anyways.

In regards to Dimensions if you have a PS4 you may want to wait for the new Starter set that includes the exclusive Supergirl fig, thats going to be money right there. As far as sets from season 1 the must get level packs are Ghostbusters, Dr. Who and Portal. The Back to the Future level pack is very meh and if you pick up the Doc Brown fun pack which is super cheap everywhere right now you get a time machine with the train and you will open up the BttF hub world. The Simpsons Level Pack is also very meh but if you can get it cheap go ahead to be a completionist or if you really like Simpsons. To unlock Chima get the Cragger fun pack he is very useful. For Ninjago Sensei Wu is a very useful fig. Get Wicked Witch fun pack and Scooby Doo Team pack. Unikitty Fun Pack is also very handy and personally I suggest everyone get the Superman fun pack because he makes the game fun and easy to run around with plus
it plays his theme song whenever he flies
. The rest is personal preference or rounding out figs you need with powers to solve puzzles. You might want someone with Dig/Drill so Emmett or Bane would fit that. Slimer is useful, Stay Puft is worthless expect the pack itself is cool if you are a Lego collector.

Don't you think that most people that don't own one actually don't want this model?

I mean, it has been of sale for a long time, and retirement was known, so it you really wanted it, it could have been the last chance.

Granted, some haven't bought it because it was expensive, but the new one still is (actually a bit more).

So the target are the people that was interested in the previous model, but have always choosed to not buy it? Is this a larger market than people that would have been interested in a different version of the DS?

Just out of interest, how would you do a UCS Death Star in a completely different way to how they've done it?

But yeah, I think there's probably a fair amount of people who don't own the original and do want the new one. People that weren't into LEGO at the time it retired, didn't have money when it was around, didn't realise that it would retire, have kids who are a bit older, new Star Wars fans after the new film, old fans rekindling their love.

Looking into it a bit more, to me it looks they never even intended to truly retire the set (it had a pretty long run) and always intended to simply refresh it. I mean, it's nearly ten years old, an update wouldn't hurt. Maybe there was never going to be a "new" Death Star.

Ponn

Banned
Just out of interest, how would you do a UCS Death Star in a completely different way to how they've done it?

But yeah, I think there's probably a fair amount of people who don't own the original and do want the new one. People that weren't into LEGO at the time it retired, didn't have money when it was around, didn't realise that it would retire, have kids who are a bit older, new Star Wars fans after the new film, old fans rekindling their love.

Looking into it a bit more, to me it looks they never even intended to truly retire the set (it had a pretty long run) and always intended to simply refresh it. I mean, it's nearly ten years old, an update wouldn't hurt. Maybe there was never going to be a "new" Death Star.

I can't speak for everyone but I know there was a few of us that didn't care for the playset open feel of this Death Star and were hoping for them going back to something like the Death Star II set.

55VxYt7.jpg

robochimp

Could the Death Star's increased price be a function of retailers wanting a high margin product with an MSRP high enough to discount from? I remember the other Death Star regularly being dropped down to 350 with the occasional dip to 320. People love a discount. At $400-500 you run into a whole new level when it comes to consumer psychology.

Rootbeer

Banned
I procrastinated on the Disney Castle and now it's out of stock on S@H.

First time i've missed out on a set like that... bad me, very bad.

It never cracked into the top selling sets on S@H's list though so I thought I was good. But typical LEGO, their site is so broken, it was probably the #1 seller for days and you just couldn't tell.

Koren

Like Ortank, Airjitsu Temple or Disney Castle, and like rumored: closed half-sphere so that it appears like in the movie in the front, and vignettes in the back. Would have bought it myself.

I don't doubt they'll sell it. I just think they could have sell a bit more by offering something a bit different (people who own the first, and people who didn't pulled the trigger on the first because they were expecting something different).

Both can work (see cars, Porsche keeps updating the 911, while others are producing new models to renew interest). I guess their choice is safer, but I think something else could have brought more sales.

(and yes, I like the vignettes, but it's so out of scale that it could be squared and nearly be the same... as a display model, I prefer Death Star II, and I don't think I'm alone)

Koren

First time i've missed out on a set like that... bad me, very bad.
I can't see it staying out of stock for long. You don't keep a Death Star available for 15 years and a Disney Castle for a week...

their site is so broken
I thought they had started to completely replace it, with some countries having the new site. Is it still a thing?

I mean, half of the time, I can't even order what I want.

Last time, it took me TWO computers and THREE browsers to pass the order. Not to find a browser that worked, I really needed the three browsers to do everything (PaB, finding a set, and entering payment details)!

Like Ortank, Airjitsu Temple or Disney Castle, and like rumored: closed half-sphere so that it appears like in the movie in the front, and vignettes in the back. Would have bought it myself.

That doesn't sound like it'd be super-hard to mod yourself, and, well, would it really be that much better than the set as it is? It'd just be the same set with a few extra grey plates and stuff covering some bits. Would you have bought it even owning the original?

And yeah, Death Star II looks amazing but that's been done too, right? How many different ways are there to do what is essentially a round grey ball? Especially at 4,000 piece scale.

That's kinda what I was expecting from it as well. I never really liked the way the Death Star looked.

Koren

That doesn't sound like it'd be super-hard to mod yourself
If you mean closing it, no, I've even posted a MOD on a previous page. Not everyone will MOD a star, though.

would it really be that much better than the set as it is?
That's a matter of taste... What I say is that offering different things brings you more customer than a single offer.

The "one fits all" that Ford was advertising is a bit old ;)

Would you have bought it even owning the original?
I don't own the original because I don't like it... That's the point ;)

And yeah, Death Star II looks amazing but that's been done too, right?
Well, the argument that "people may have not been able to buy DS" works better with DS II, if you go that way ;)

peely

Neo Member
Very late, but finally finished building the Ghostbusters HQ with my fiancée :)

Decent build, but I feel it's let down by the back of the building and the opening mechanism. Still, looks awesome and no regrets ! Now this is out of that way, might think about starting on the backlog !

Disappointed with the Death Star, thought they would have changed a bit more. My first thought was that they wanted a bigger margin ...

I am on vacation and went into a hobby store which had a mid sized Lego section. They had Spiderman Bridge Battle with a big sticker "MSRP $129.99, Our Price $109.99".

The set details for $99.99.

I really hate stuff like that.

valkyre

Guys do you often get scratched parts straight out of the sealed bags?

By scratches dont think something crazy, i am talking about light scratches that are visible under bright light source.

My Slave one slopes on the upper part of the ship have all sorts of small scratches and under light it kinda shows and makes my OCD kick in...

Guys do you often get scratched parts straight out of the sealed bags?

By scratches dont think something crazy, i am talking about light scratches that are visible under bright light source.

My Slave one slopes on the upper part of the ship have all sorts of small scratches and under light it kinda shows and makes my OCD kick in...

Lego will replace them from my personal experience.

My life is forever changed.

How have I never known that you can open the parts bags by tearing them vertically down the sides instead of opening them like a chip bag by pulling them apart?

I was going to buy a set today, and I had some choices in the price range: Vacation Getaways, Blue Power Jet and the Doc Ock set. I finally went with the Friends Pop Star House for a pretty simple reason - I'm getting a ton of parts on Monday and will want to start a new build, and I needed some of the 5x6 windows or I would get stuck right away. I could also had gotten the bus, but it has mostly black and pink parts otherwise that I don't need.

Anyway, I build the house for now and it's pretty good, like many Friends sets. The pool area is roomy and luxurious - I had the other Heartlake pool set before but this is a private swimming pool. There's loads of glass overall, which will be useful. There is also plenty of cabinets and drawers, which always come in handy for interiors. Overall, it would be a great playset but it's not bad as a part pack either, although I would normally have waited for a lower price. Oh, and it's nice to get a Livi figure, she stands out with that hair and will probably find a place somewhere in my city. Maybe it's time to refresh the concert stage.

A fun thing to note is the cynical inclusion of a security camera, complete with a monitor inside. Heartlake City is the place where the biggest hazard is choking on strawberry cupcakes, and yet they feel a need to remind girls that celebrities need surveillance to be safe. What - is Olivia going to break in and steal her sparkly skirt?

While it will never happen due to budget and space, it would be pretty cool to see a city layout (like Jang's) with all the Friends buildings. After all these years, there's got to be a pretty massive city.

Ryuuroden

First day of BrickUniverse went well. Last day is tomorrow from 10-4 and its in Columbus, Ohio if any of you live nearby and want to see Orthanc.

Now here is a video I know people are going to want to see.

Just how does JANG organize his insanely massive collection?

Now we know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0YrJ2rh3W0

Hah I've got to watch this. I've always wondered how he even has room since he literally has got every set for the past few years

It doesn't?

It's difficult to check with its variability and licenses, but I'm pretty sure it does...

(and beside, I think Lego use more and more small pieces, that help controlling the prices)
For the past couple decades Lego has been around the same price per piece ratio, and if I recall correctly it has gradually gotten cheaper on average. So yeah they usually combat that with more smaller and detailed pieces. Still doesn't excuse them arbitrarily increasing prices like this. Oh well, if people buy it I guess it's justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom