• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016: The year of the lazy Star Wars UCS sets.

The set will still be great, because the Best Star is the Best Star. I am both relieved and disappointed that it has minimal changes.

I will be waiting on this one, or outright passing.

Yes, this year ho-hum Star Wars set really save me tons of money. I really wish instead of this re-hash they would do Bespin UCS set instead. The little set we got gave me hope and full of potentials. And let not talk about that Hoth set ...

mojiimbo

LEGO retail is doing a friend's and family thing in September. Each employee gets 10 invites. From what I remember it was a 20% discount on regular, common sets with a hard exclusion on "exclusive and hard to find" sets. Basically it's only good on the type of stuff that a regular Wal-Mart or Target would carry.

LEGO retail is doing a friend's and family thing in September. Each employee gets 10 invites. From what I remember it was a 20% discount on regular, common sets with a hard exclusion on "exclusive and hard to find" sets. Basically it's only good on the type of stuff that a regular Wal-Mart or Target would carry.

But of course...

Now, would it work on PAB cups? Just go nuts!

Also, when does the PAB wall change next? I need to plan my next trip.

ghostmind

Emerging from my "Dark Age" in 2011, my original sources for getting caught up in the world of LEGO was this thread, back in its original incarnation (thanks wetwired!), and Youtube video reviews.

At the time, the main reviewers I followed were the BrickShow, BrickQueen, and Brickformula. While I initially enjoyed the high energy of the BrickShow, I was put off increasingly by their sloppiness and self-promotion as time went on. BrickQueen was also enjoyable in her early days, as she had a more calm demeanor, and was generally more knowledgeable than BrickShow. Once she started gaining popularity however, the wheels came off, and she had some very bizarre moments that turned me away completely. Brickformula, who I enjoyed the most at the time, reminds me a lot of JANG in his presentation and tone, though not to the same level of knowledge/experience.

Unfortunately Brickformula decided to discontinue posting to his channel in late 2013, after a slow decline in frequency. At the same time however, I discovered LEGOJANG, who had just started expanding his channel at the time, moving from only covering Bionicle and Hero Factory (and his related MOCs), to LEGO system themes, such as CITY and Galaxy Squad.

JANG's tone, professionalism, knowledge, and creativity turned me into a big fan, which I remain to this day. His content has exposed me to many LEGO sets I would never have given a second look, as well as themes from other manufacturers (such as Mega's Halo series). Usually, if I bring a review to the attention of this community, it is a JANG review. I hope that he continues on for years to come, because his contribution to the hobby is certainly appreciated.

In the past year, I learned of the Technic mad genius Sariel, who provides a more technical compliment to JANG, at least in the design and function of Technic. Sariel seems to be handling his channel growth well, so I am hopeful of seeing more from him in the future.

Sweet! Which of us friends here on LEGOGAF are you gonna invite? :p

Rootbeer

Banned
Higher Res

oSZLKRS.jpg

Also, there are rumblings that the image could be fake...

lego_75159_leakrear-bn.jpg

What if someone just took their death star, replaced the minifigs, took some pics and photoshopped this all together? are there any minifigs that couldn't have been faked? even that blue droid... maybe just a color swap?

I'm not #TeamFake but maybe we shouldn't be so trusting just yet

My Disney Castle shipped off today, so maybe...just maybe it will be here Saturday. Nothing like a massive set like that to put a kink in MOC plans.

Also, my power functions order shipped off. Ordered a rechargeable battery pack and power cord for it. The rechargeable pack was supposedly on backorder until the 26th or something, but shipped immediately. Nice surprise!

Now to start figuring out a demon train for Halloween. But I need to finish my theater first.

HEADS UP

As part of the Best Buy sale going on right now, all year 1 LEGO Dimensions are 50% off... this stacks with your 20% Gamer's Club Unlocked discount if you have it.

Time to fill those holes in your Dimensions collection

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toys-to...0050003&nrp=25&cp=1&sp=-displaydate skuidsaas

Also if you want to army build Cyber Men or anything else, this is the time to do it

Might have to hit up Best Buy tomorrow...

EDIT: Looking at new Death Star pictures more closely. I don't think it is fake. If so, they went the extra mile with changing out certain parts just to show it is different. The turbo lasers on top of the old model had 1x1 round bricks in the middle, while the new one has the tiny technic gears instead. Small change, but it does show a difference. There are multiple other changes visible when going back and forth between pics of both versions.

Rootbeer

Banned
Quoting for new page:

HEADS UP

As part of the Best Buy sale going on right now, all year 1 LEGO Dimensions are 50% off... this stacks with your 20% Gamer's Club Unlocked discount if you have it.

Time to fill those holes in your Dimensions collection

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toys-to...0050003&nrp=25&cp=1&sp=-displaydate skuidsaas

Also if you want to army build Cyber Men or anything else, this is the time to do it

If you don't see a fun pack/team pack/level pack from year 1 you want on that list, just search for it from the search bar. that list is not showing 100% of them for some reason, on any of the three pages of results.

Damn, wish my GCU didn't expire , might have to renew

Will pick up the portal set X back to the future ones and the dr who

Will get the game when it's under $20 😎

Crap pics incoming!

Just finished Spidey Bridge Battle. The build doesn't yield any new or cool techniques, but it is a fantastic play set and mini figure display. There are so many play and action sections, that I can see this being a massive hit with kids. The set also works as a display piece, and there are so many neat things you can do with the mini figures.

And oh, the mini figures. It is like a Spidey fan dream, especially the villains.

Yes, I cheated putting Hobgoblin and Ghost Rider in the set. Sue me.

Overall, really, really good set, but not necessarily one I would recommend at full price. It has a wonderful selection of parts if you are into MOCing, and is very fairly priced for the piece count as well as the figures. With all of the positives to it, and no real negatives besides stickers (which I didn't apply, but I did love the art on most of them), the lack of really awesome points in the build knock it down a peg for me.

I am not meaning to come across so negative about it, as the set is still very strong. It is just lacking that one little oomph to push it over the edge into greatness.

Come for the display/play factor, parts, and the figures. But the build itself is not much to write home about.

Osahi

Guys, it's been widely speculated for a while now. I'm not dropping anything new. Nothing solid has leaked yet cause it's a ways off (Batman CMF first and even THOSE haven't leaked)

We've seen the frenzy for the Disney series that was right up there as one of the most popular ones they have done, and they released the Disney Castle similarly to how they released the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart to coincide with that series. That is where these theories are coming from.

They can wait a bit with that. Not sure if I can handle the stress again of trying to get them all. Series 1 was gone almost the moment I found them first in the wild (I think two weeks later they weren't on S@H Europe anymore), and I only was able to complete my set because I arrived in a shop the day they got a buckload delivered from their HQ only after they were gone everywhere else (series hadn't been available in that shop before)

(But I am all for new Disney figs! Gimme!)

FInished the New Ecto 1 yesterday, and I really like this set. It won't be loved that much because people don't like the source material compared to the original maybe, but the car looks great once build and the selection of minifigs is just incredible. 5 unique costumes with fine print, new and brilliant hair pieces. Face prints that capture the actors feautures even in Lego form. Cool minibuild weapons...

Build of the car itself is pretty straightforward (I am used to Creator Expert and Star Wars sets, so I used to more advanced techniques then what's on show here), but the end result is great. Some very neat stuff and detailing going on though, like the small reclining back part, the rearview mirrors, the front lights and the grill, the window swipes, ...

Only stuff I didn't really like are the stickers, allthough I got almost every one of them right the first time. Only a very small warning sign (last sticker to apply) isn't straight and I had to reapply one of the window stickers. Also the doorframe gap is a bit strange, but I can't see how they could've fixed that.

Did two very minor mods. I added a stand to the Ecto-2 with a spare black gun piece in the set, so it doesn't fall over so easily, and I placed the Ghostbusters on spare CMF plates so the weight of the proton packs don't pull them down :p

Now to get the original one (sorry Wetwired, didn't pick that up yet) to go with it! Would've ordered it ages ago if it's MRSP isn't just under what you need to get free shipping

wetwired

They can wait a bit with that. Not sure if I can handle the stress again of trying to get them all. Series 1 was gone almost the moment I found them first in the wild (I think two weeks later they weren't on S@H Europe anymore), and I only was able to complete my set because I arrived in a shop the day they got a buckload delivered from their HQ only after they were gone everywhere else (series hadn't been available in that shop before)

(But I am all for new Disney figs! Gimme!)

FInished the New Ecto 1 yesterday, and I really like this set. It won't be loved that much because people don't like the source material compared to the original maybe, but the car looks great once build and the selection of minifigs is just incredible. 5 unique costumes with fine print, new and brilliant hair pieces. Face prints that capture the actors feautures even in Lego form. Cool minibuild weapons...

Build of the car itself is pretty straightforward (I am used to Creator Expert and Star Wars sets, so I used to more advanced techniques then what's on show here), but the end result is great. Some very neat stuff and detailing going on though, like the small reclining back part, the rearview mirrors, the front lights and the grill, the window swipes, ...

Only stuff I didn't really like are the stickers, allthough I got almost every one of them right the first time. Only a very small warning sign (last sticker to apply) isn't straight and I had to reapply one of the window stickers. Also the doorframe gap is a bit strange, but I can't see how they could've fixed that.

Did two very minor mods. I added a stand to the Ecto-2 with a spare black gun piece in the set, so it doesn't fall over so easily, and I placed the Ghostbusters on spare CMF plates so the weight of the proton packs don't pull them down :p

Now to get the original one (sorry Wetwired, didn't pick that up yet) to go with it! Would've ordered it ages ago if it's MRSP isn't just under what you need to get free shipping

You're dead to me.

I quite like the new Ecto-1, it's like a refinement of the original, openable doors, fit all the crew in, extra gadgets and the bike on top of it all.

Osahi

You're dead to me.

I quite like the new Ecto-1, it's like a refinement of the original, openable doors, fit all the crew in, extra gadgets and the bike on top of it all.

Haha, yeah, make me feel all guilty! I still plan to grab it soonish, don't worry. Just bought the DIsney Castle, so my wallet is as dead as I am to you at the moment.

speaking of which: Jang has his review up. 25 minutes long. Skipped trough it a bit, as I figured after spending 350 Euro I want to have as much as a unspoiled building experience myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atO9UNAELjw

wetwired

I want to pick up the castle but I'm not in a hurry, I don't have much time atm and there's no good free goodies if I ordered now.

Also I still need to buy a second GB Firehouse

Nothing currently is limited limited so just sit and wait for double points weekend

$50 in Lego points for a double points Death Star isn't that bad , unless I did the calculation wrong

Emerging from my "Dark Age" in 2011, my original sources for getting caught up in the world of LEGO was this thread, back in its original incarnation (thanks wetwired!), and Youtube video reviews.

I was a fan of Jang after the first video you posted. His approach is terrific in that he is able to calmly highlight aspects of sets which appeal to both collectors and children. I really like that he straddles that divide so well.

I had completely forgotten about Brickqueen. I only became aware of her after some accusations of "stealing" other people's MOC designs for her own. Does she still have a big fan base? Things got really erratic there for a while.

Higher Res

Also, there are rumblings that the image could be fake...

lego_75159_leakrear-bn.jpg

What if someone just took their death star, replaced the minifigs, took some pics and photoshopped this all together? are there any minifigs that couldn't have been faked? even that blue droid... maybe just a color swap?

I'm not #TeamFake but maybe we shouldn't be so trusting just yet

My wallet wants it to be real, but that's an interesting theory.

That having been said, is Han's hair new?

So a few pages back I posted about looking to get back into Legos after many years away. My wife kind of laughed at the idea, but I did some looking into what might be the best set for my desk at home.

Ended up getting the Changing Seasons 3 in 1 since it was relatively inexpensive, had decent number of pieces and the 3 in 1 is nice to build at various times throughout the year.

Put it all together last night. It took like 3.5 hours. I dont remember things being that time consuming when I was a kid!! Not that I'm complaining, but I didnt expect that.

R-User!

So a few pages back I posted about looking to get back into Legos after many years away. My wife kind of laughed at the idea, but I did some looking into what might be the best set for my desk at home.

Ended up getting the Changing Seasons 3 in 1 since it was relatively inexpensive, had decent number of pieces and the 3 in 1 is nice to build at various times throughout the year.

Put it all together last night. It took like 3.5 hours. I dont remember things being that time consuming when I was a kid!! Not that I'm complaining, but I didnt expect that.

Did you have fun?!

Oh of course! Legos have come a long way since 1992!!

I was going to get the Ferrari F40 (probably still will) but I wanted something with some minifigs that I could prop up.

If you're a Ferrari guy that's one thing (it's a good build), but if you just want a car that size I'd recommend the Camper or the Mini. Those are both charming as hell. Haven't bought the bug yet.

woodypop

I've been eyeing the Changing Seasons set for a long time, specifically because of the bolded. I don't often do the alternate builds, but the change of seasons IRL could prompt me to to do so with this set. Sometimes I just need a kick in the pants.

CMF16 doesn't ship here until Sep 1st, but the local supermarket once again came through with an early release (I think I've been going there since CMF10). I felt some bags until I was fairly certain I had my amigos, and then got random to a total of 16. Turns out I chose pretty well.

1 Snow Queen
2 Sam Fisher (one would have been enough, but I'll use the hair for Ray anyway)
1 Arabian Knight (meh, although he's kind of sort of a Sands of Time Prince with some changes)
1 Penguin Guy
1 Banana Guy
2 Dog Show Guy (one would have been enough)
3 Rogues (exactly what I wanted!)
1 Babysitter
1 Pirate (oh well, he can go on the Imperial Flagship like everything else pirate related)

and of course

3 Amigos

I could possibly use the Photographer or the Hiker, but for now I'm quite happy. And with that, I guess it's time to wait for the next line :D

Osahi

If you're a Ferrari guy that's one thing (it's a good build), but if you just want a car that size I'd recommend the Camper or the Mini. Those are both charming as hell. Haven't bought the bug yet.

The Beetle is utterly fantastic! My set of the year up untill now. Monday I unpack the disney castle (it just shipped, but DHL doesn't do saturday deliveries in my country. Boo!), so that might change though.

only own the Camper and Bettle of the Creator Cars though, so Mini might be the better one still

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
CMF16 doesn't ship here until Sep 1st, but the local supermarket once again came through with an early release (I think I've been going there since CMF10). I felt some bags until I was fairly certain I had my amigos, and then got random to a total of 16. Turns out I chose pretty well.

1 Snow Queen
2 Sam Fisher (one would have been enough, but I'll use the hair for Ray anyway)
1 Arabian Knight (meh, although he's kind of sort of a Sands of Time Prince with some changes)
1 Penguin Guy
1 Banana Guy
2 Dog Show Guy (one would have been enough)
3 Rogues (exactly what I wanted!)
1 Babysitter
1 Pirate (oh well, he can go on the Imperial Flagship like everything else pirate related)

and of course

3 Amigos

I could possibly use the Photographer or the Hiker, but for now I'm quite happy. And with that, I guess it's time to wait for the next line :D

The closest TRUS by me always seems to have the new fig set out really early.

I did get 2 rogues, Machete guy, Banana man, Ice Queen, and the Mariachi. I have to say the Mariachi is by far my new favorite mini fig. They did a great job with the detail.

willp2003

Is it me, or doesn't this look half as good as the Ideas-version? Looks toned down somewhat? Usually the official version is an improvement on the one that was proposed, this looks the other way around.

I can imagine there were some illegal building techniques in the original, and lots of stickers. I think it looks pretty good. The exhaust is on the other side of the car. I'll be picking it up for sure.

Osahi

Part of it is how the wheelcases are shaped and how the wheels seem to stick to the car to I guess. Donnow, I really liked the proposed model, and this doesn't do much to me. Might change my mind when I get a better look at it though

Whatever, just get it over with and SHOW ME MY YELLOW SUBMARINE! Most wanted set right there.

By the way, as a random thought, it's pretty crazy that Lego, as a "collectible figure format" has the Ghostbusters, the Turtles and now soon the Beatles. Not to mention the thousands of other licensed figures. And Dimensions is only making it crazier. I mean, my Lego shelf is as much a random pop culture collection as a Lego display.

That's also why Funko doesn't do anything for me. Standarized figures of every license known to man? Already got that, but mine often have more interesting expressions, they're smaller, they come with cars and ships and stuff, and sometimes they're also cheaper :D

Is it me, or doesn't this look half as good as the Ideas-version? Looks toned down somewhat? Usually the official version is an improvement on the one that was proposed, this looks the other way around.

1699476-o_1988t0nab9d7hve7kk1g8ie16i-full.JPG
It's the way the front wheels are attached. Doesn't even look like you can rotate them. They look way off. Hopefully it's easy to mod it to look like the original.

Edit:by rotate I meant steering

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would love to get a cool Lego Set for around 20€ with a Star Wars or a Superhero Theme, but either the sets are super small scale or super expensive

25€ for Obi Wans Jedi Starfighter looks almost already, but it looks very small and doesnt seem to have to many pieces...

In terms of price per piece the obi wan intercepter isn't that bad, its got 210 pieces. It's 17 centimeters wide which isn't awful for that price.

I'm not sure how much it is in euros, but the eclipse star destroyer is $30 and is pretty cool. It's got 363 pieces. Google says $30 is 26 euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom