• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've gone too far in terms of becoming a LEGO family. Just ordered the Ghostbusters HQ as a birthday present for our son who is turning 5. Yes, that's right. Five.

ghostmind

BrickFan is reporting that we will be getting one large ($200 to $250) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales set in 2017, likely a pirate ship.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my wife gave me my birthday gift over a month early.

I now have plans this weekend.

sSXm5Sql.jpg

I think we've gone too far in terms of becoming a LEGO family. Just ordered the Ghostbusters HQ as a birthday present for our son who is turning 5. Yes, that's right. Five.

I've used my kids as an excuse to buy LEGO that I liked for myself. :) At 5 someone is going to have to build it for him. And if he can play with it yet, keeping up high on a display type shelf would be appropriate.

I've used my kids as an excuse to buy LEGO that I liked for myself. :) At 5 someone is going to have to build it for him. And if he can play with it yet, keeping up high on a display type shelf would be appropriate.

Right. I'm just saying the impetus for this is that he saw it at a LEGO store and said he wanted it. And it wasn't just me who was on board for getting it under the guise of getting it for the little one. I mean, I tend to spoil the kid rotten and get scolded by my wife frequently for getting him yet another toy/game when he just got something, but $350 for one set is kind of steep even for me. But I had my wife and my father-in-law (who agreed to throw in some money for it) saying we needed to get this thing.

The next big decision I'll have to make is whether or not to get that Death Star for Christmas. The price hike is killing me though. If it was re-released at $400, I think I would definitely be on board.

Right. I'm just saying the impetus for this is that he saw it at a LEGO store and said he wanted it. And it wasn't just me who was on board for getting it under the guise of getting it for the little one. I mean, I tend to spoil the kid rotten and get scolded by my wife frequently for getting him yet another toy/game when he just got something, but $350 for one set is kind of steep even for me. But I had my wife and my father-in-law (who agreed to throw in some money for it) saying we needed to get this thing.

The next big decision I'll have to make is whether or not to get that Death Star for Christmas. The price hike is killing me though. If it was re-released at $400, I think I would definitely be on board.

Even if I am disappointed/relieved at the Best Star having minimal changes and a $100 price hike, it is still worth it at $500. There are better and more interesting builds out there, but the sheer nostalgia trip and Star Wars love in that set is far too strong. So many little details from the films that you never really see in pics from the set, such as the weird camera things in the cell block.

The set just scratches so many Star Wars itches.

Could the build and design be better? Absolutely.
Is there another set that is anywhere close to a giant love letter to the original trilogy than this? Absolutely not.

Until I get my dream UCS Cloud City set.

TheFuzz

I feel like it was Phon, but I could be wrong..... But there was a post awhile back I can't find that showed the ziploc container sizes/packs that fit into the sterilite drawers (the 3-drawer boxes), anyone know what page it was on?

I need to expand my storage and have those drawers so j want to make sure I grab the right containers.

I feel like it was Phon, but I could be wrong..... But there was a post awhile back I can't find that showed the ziploc container sizes/packs that fit into the sterilite drawers (the 3-drawer boxes), anyone know what page it was on?

I need to expand my storage and have those drawers so j want to make sure I grab the right containers.

Ziploc brand is the only one that fit perfectly. Small rectangles, small squares, and extra small squares all fit. You can see all four sizes in the pic. These are the 12x12 sterilite drawers.

Also, since watching Jang's video on his organization, I learned that you can remove the tops to the drawers and they are modular. Doing that opened up more space to add more drawers. Now each stack is one big monstrosity instead of lots of sets of 3 on top of each other.

BrickFan is reporting that we will be getting one large ($200 to $250) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales set in 2017, likely a pirate ship.

Wasn't there already a $100+ set in the rumours? But I'm guessing that would be a stripped down set, like the 2015 Pirates. I would buy a D2C level PotC ship so quickly. I missed out on the first two, but they weren't awesome enough to pay aftermarket prices for.

Wasn't there already a $100+ set in the rumours? But I'm guessing that would be a stripped down set, like the 2015 Pirates. I would buy a D2C level PotC ship so quickly. I missed out on the first two, but they weren't awesome enough to pay aftermarket prices for.

I only got Queen Anne's Revenge from the last batch, and it was really awesome. But a $200+ ship? Yes, please! Let's get something to give Imperial Flagship a run for its money. Especially since I missed that set.

That's true, but you also can't put a price on the memories that he will get from building it too. That will be an amazing one to have. Some of my best early memories are building Legos and I'm sure building that HQ will stick with him for a long time. A lucky kid for sure! I just wish I could get my son more interested in them lol

LEGO Christmas ornament for this year:

qy8oop7.jpg

That looks great! Much better than some of the other holiday builds revealed recently. The eyes fit well with that build.

Ziploc brand is the only one that fit perfectly. Small rectangles, small squares, and extra small squares all fit. You can see all four sizes in the pic. These are the 12x12 sterilite drawers.

Also, since watching Jang's video on his organization, I learned that you can remove the tops to the drawers and they are modular. Doing that opened up more space to add more drawers. Now each stack is one big monstrosity instead of lots of sets of 3 on top of each other.

Is that stable at that height? Seems like the bottom ones may bear too much weight as the drawers fill up.

Edit: My OCD can't help but notice the clear handles don't match the rest. :)

Plum

Just bought the VW Camper Van set as a nice little decoration piece when I get to university. Really can't wait to get this thing built. There's a Lego Store in the city I'm going to so I think this hobby might continue to grow.

Was anyone else given a free random Ninjago set with any purchases? It's nothing big, just a 93 piece thing but I found it weird and I can't see anything about it on the site.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I bought this cabinet off Amazon last month for just under £40.

Slowly, VERY slowly filling in with minifigs. I'm building bleacher structures using the CMF plates and 8x16 baseplates but I might change it to inverted slopes like everyones' IKEA frames. No way it's going to hold all my minifigs but hopefully my favourites and a few completed CMF waves. Failing that, might buy another :)

KzM93CC.jpg

Is that stable at that height? Seems like the bottom ones may bear too much weight as the drawers fill up.

Edit: My OCD can't help but notice the clear handles don't match the rest. :)

It's stable enough, and in a bookcase against a wall. I wouldn't stack much higher than that. And surprised you didn't notice that the clear handled ones are not textured while the ones with white handles are. :)

And it does bother me. Target sold the ones with the white handles, Meijer the clear ones. I was just stocking up as fast as I could. Beggars can't be choosers. I did think of rearranging so it is even on each side, but that is too much work right now.

It's stable enough, and in a bookcase against a wall. I wouldn't stack much higher than that. And surprised you didn't notice that the clear handled ones are not textured while the ones with white handles are. :)

And it does bother me. Target sold the ones with the white handles, Meijer the clear ones. I was just stocking up as fast as I could. Beggars can't be choosers. I did think of rearranging so it is even on each side, but that is too much work right now.

Don't worry. I have the same issue as even the same store will change the product a bit over time. I got drawers from Walmart and plastic boxes from Target. Both are sterilite but designs are different between Walmart and Target. Now I'm 'stuck' buying drawers from one and boxes from another to keep things somewhat consistent.

Is it me or is the thread slowing down a bit?

I heard this on the radio the other day. Reduce advertising because demand is too much. Talk about a good problem to have.

The Danish company Lego, the world’s most profitable toymaker, has an enviable problem: Business has been so good in recent years, it can’t keep up with demand.

This led the company to actually scale back on advertising last year, in an attempt to slow sales and buy time to ramp up production.

http://www.marketplace.org/2016/09/07/world/lego-puts-brakes-after-decade-growth

In searching for that, I found something else interesting, using LEGO tiles for a letterpress to print pixel art.

http://www.npr.org/sections/picture...terpress-and-other-new-takes-on-a-classic-toy
http://cargocollective.com/physicalfiction

Slowly, VERY slowly filling in with minifigs. I'm building bleacher structures using the CMF plates and 8x16 baseplates but I might change it to inverted slopes like everyones' IKEA frames. No way it's going to hold all my minifigs but hopefully my favourites and a few completed CMF waves. Failing that, might buy another :)

KzM93CC.jpg

Looks nice. It has the 3 key features I look for in my minifig displays/storage.
- Keep dust off
- Easy viewing
- Easy access

It's perfect for those mighy micros. That reminds me...when does the next wave of Mighty Micros come out? 2017?

Hulkbuster looks a bit cramped.

The thread is slowing down it seems. I don't know how far along we were at this point last year. I think we are in the lull before the holiday onslaught though.

Having said that, I think I am only going to be getting one more set this year (the Holiday Train). Well, and the seasonal sets like the vampire and whatnot. But no major purchases.

Also, FYI to everyone: Barnes and Noble clearance sale starts on the 12th. There will be LEGO product in there, and selection will vary by store. If you want the best selection, go to your local store the second they open on Monday.

Osahi

There isn't much Lego news and the set of the year has allready been released.

Bricktober and force friday will spice things up. Seriously contemplating getting Slave-1 with double VIP. But I want some Rogue One sets too

willp2003

Yeah it's a bit slow. We've seen details of all this years sets, and now waiting for rumours for next year. I'm just waiting for double VIP to come around, and I'll pick up the Caterham asap.

mclem

I'm mainly spending time waiting for October to splurge on a bunch of sets that might be on the way out. I keep nervously checking the most likely 'retiring soon' suspects but they're not budging just yet.

teeny

Autumn / Winter is usually Lego season for me - CMF first, then Star Wars stuff and Christmas, then the releases early next year. I still read the thread, though I don't really have anything to contribute.

Though I'm hoping to crack my backlog this weekend (why am I always saying that?)

KzM93CC.jpg

This looks awesome, it's great how it can hold the big figs comfortably too. Do you have a link to Amazon?

Edit:

So in October, I am getting the Holiday Train. I don't have a massive budget for Lego, but I have some VIP points saved up - I'll be getting the Train, SW Advent Calendar and perhaps a smaller Rogue One set. Anwyay, my question is: What are the minimum requirements to get the train going around the track on it's own?

I'm thinking:

8878 - Power Functions Rechargeable Battery Box (though no power supply! is the extra cost worth it?)

8887 - Power Functions Transformer/Charger 10VDC

88002 - Power Functions Train Motor

I can perhaps expand with the IR remote and what not next year.

wetwired

I saw the "recipe" for this online and had to make one for myself (I've lost the source unfortunately otherwise I'd credit them) I used a different head and hair though.

Unpainted.jpg

I'm tempted to paint the chainsaw body red to match, thoughts?

Dodgy Photoshop:

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I started the Castle last night...Finished the first bag. I'm impressed with the build already, and I'm in love with the pentagonal tiles. Those pieces are awesome and allow for some super awesome detail work.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've a bag full of lego figures. I've to make a lot of pictures for you guys, because I want to sell them and need help figuring out what is worth something ;_;

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I saw the "recipe" for this online and had to make one for myself (I've lost the source unfortunately otherwise I'd credit them) I used a different head and hair though.

Unpainted.jpg

Dodgy Photoshop:

Looks great! Add a skeleton and dead-ite :p

The Doop

Love it! I had started working on a mini-fig size '73 Oldsmobile Delta 88 a while back with the hopes of submitting to Ideas. Alas, other things got in the way, but it's not like LEGO would approve that IP anyways.

But this one is pretty cute that someone made.

wetwired

Love it! I had started working on a mini-fig size '73 Oldsmobile Delta 88 a while back with the hopes of submitting to Ideas. Alas, other things got in the way, but it's not like LEGO would approve that IP anyways.

But this one is pretty cute that someone made.

haha, that's awesome, the handle on the chainsaw is pretty cool too, hmmm....

Unpainted.jpg

Dodgy Photoshop:

That's awesome. And I see others had the same idea once Nexo Knights hit about the Book of Evil.

What part is that chainsaw made out of btw? I just stole the winter village one when I threw together my super quick Ash figure for my halloween display last year. I need to upgrade him.
DQKMNfcl.jpg

wetwired

That's awesome. And I see others had the same idea once Nexo Knights hit about the Book of Evil.

What part is that chainsaw made out of btw? I just stole the winter village one when I threw together my super quick Ash figure for my halloween display last year. I need to upgrade him.
DQKMNfcl.jpg

The chainsaw body is this part http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15407#T=C

It's attached via a 1x1 round plate with a hole in the middle and then just a standard chainsaw blade stuck in it http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6117#T=C

Unpainted.jpg

Dodgy Photoshop:

Where do the torso and legs come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom