• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I keep all my boxes broken down right now, and then I box up those broken down boxes in other boxes to store in the garage or a spare closet. It still takes up a ton of space. My collector mentality says "But they are worth something!"
The rational part of me that says, "You will never sell them" is starting to win. I know if I toss them all I will feel bad for a month or two, but then will get over it. Maybe in a month or two I will finally snap and toss them all out.

As for instructions, I know that BentBricks said he rarely keeps them and does PDFs, but I just have a hard time telling colors on the PDFs. And I have a few filing cabinets for the instructions. Those I feel I should keep, because i never know when I will want to rebuild something old.

Still on the fence about boxes. Hell, about to put some UCS sets that have been broken down for almost two years into the collective since I don't have enough display space for everything.

Oh, how this hobby evolves as you get more stuff from it.

any large sets I keep the boxes for. Flattened down they still take a lot of space but I'm resisting throwing them out in case I want to sell a few later on - I cleared out my modulars mainly for lack of space and the box+instructions is really needed to keep the value up.

I do use the printed instructions but usually handle gently and store in a box afterwards - I find PDFs not ideal for a relaxing build. But I keep the instruction cardboard backing and if I sell, a quick wrap with cling film and then a hair dryer to shrink wrap it is a pretty good way to get them back to near as-new presentation wise

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I fell in love with the beetle when I saw it. It's a massive step up from the old beetle they once had.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
UK DEAL: TEMPLE OF AIRJITZU FOR £116!!

It's at Smyths for £136, but the code "SEP20" takes £20 off it. Seems like a total bargain for a £170 set that people rave about constantly. I've bought it despite no interest in Ninjago, so it better be as good as people say it is!

There's a bunch of other sets you could get £20 off which are already discounted for super-bargains, but this is the highlight.

Probably my favorite set ever. SO worth it. Everyone who doesn't have this yet should jump on it.

Fxp

I've bought Dimensions starter set recently and been enjoying the game. Is it possible just buy the electronic bases from Bricklink to unlock all content. I've noticed that sames bases are printed and some are generic (without specifying sets it come from).

I've bought Dimensions starter set recently and been enjoying the game. Is it possible just buy the electronic bases from Bricklink to unlock all content. I've noticed that sames bases are printed and some are generic (without specifying sets it come from).

Printed bases are the characters, and they unlock hub worlds, the character itself and, in some cases, specific story levels. The figure itself doesn't do anything - you can leave the bases as they are or put another figure on there.

The unprinted bases are generic and can be used for any accessory/vehicle. When you obtain/build one, it asks you to place a base on the portal and save the item to it. They can be reused later on.

Fxp

Printed bases are the characters, and they unlock hub worlds, the character itself and, in some cases, specific story levels. The figure itself doesn't do anything - you can leave the bases as they are or put another figure on there.

The unprinted bases are generic and can be used for any accessory/vehicle. When you obtain/build one, it asks you to place a base on the portal and save the item to it. They can be reused later on.

So I can buy all printed bases and some generic ones to save accessories/vehicles?

A couple of times a year, the girls get to play with all the Lego I usually have displayed. Out of all this stuff, the box full of miscellaneous "minifugure stuff" is probably their favorite. They dig through that and outfit the figures and populate the city before having a massive play session. They will be playing non-stop for the next 2 days.

(It's also a great time to dust everything and rearrange my city layout when putting it back on display)

D97905F5-14EC-4411-9C6D-F0DFD2439C36.jpg

F7288A24-08CC-4633-B90C-FDAAD95B8C38.jpg

This is what this hobby is all about IMO. It's truly magical for a child. I think that often gets lost in the shuffle.

A coupe of times a year, the girls get to play with all the Lego I usually have displayed. Out of all this stuff, the box full of miscellaneous "minifugure stuff" is probably their favorite. They dig through that and outfit the figures and populate the city before having a massive play session. They will be playing non-stop for the next 2 days.

(It's also a great time to dust everything and rearrange my city layout when putting it back on display)

D97905F5-14EC-4411-9C6D-F0DFD2439C36.jpg

F7288A24-08CC-4633-B90C-FDAAD95B8C38.jpg

This is what this hobby is all about IMO. It's truly magical for a child. I think that often gets lost in the shuffle.
Great stuff! And the last part is the truth. It is so fun doing the big build events with kids and seeing just how much fun they have, and also some of the crazy ideas they come up with when it is a free build event. Even if they don't get to keep their stuff, they are still so excited just to build and play.

Beetle looks like a Citroen 2CV. There is surely no way it's better than the camper which is almost perfect. If the box photos do it a disservice I'd be happy to see any other photos that make it look more beetle-y

Never put 2 and 2 together with the Citroen similarities. I can see it, mainly because the body on the LEGO set looks slightly longer than it should be.

The big reason the Beetle is better for me is the build. The angles and fake curves pulled off on it are so ingenious, and the color scheme just pops.

And this aint knocking the Camper Van. Far from it. That is still one of the best sets money can buy right now. For me, it is just that the Beetle slightly edges it out now.

I just wish LEGO would do a classic American muscle car at that scale. Like a 60s Mustang or something.

Koren

Never put 2 and 2 together with the Citroen similarities. I can see it, mainly because the body on the LEGO set looks slightly longer than it should be.
It is? I thought it was the same scale as the Camper?

I just wish LEGO would do a classic American muscle car at that scale. Like a 60s Mustang or something.
I wouldn't say no to a Shelby GT500, for example... I've been toying with the idea to try myself at this one.

It is? I thought it was the same scale as the Camper?

I wouldn't say no to a Shelby GT500, for example... I've been toying with the idea to try myself at this one.
I was meaning a bit longer looking than the actual car. It looks like it isn't as bulbous or something. It is minor. The scale to camper is fine.

Koren

I was meaning a bit longer looking than the actual car. It looks like it isn't as bulbous or something. It is minor. The scale to camper is fine.
I meant, I thought they used the same scale (about 1:15) for both models.

I haven't built the Beetle yet, but as far as I can tell, both have 20 studs as wheelbase, like the original models (2400mm). From images, I would say that the Beetle is about 1.5 studs shorter (is this right?), which is in line with the real Beetle being 25cm shorter (4030 vs 4280).

Are you talking about the shape (insufficient height, maybe? But at the same time, it should be 11.5 bricks height, and thats about correct from counting on the images?)

Edit: maybe it's because the whole car is slightly higher... But I'd say it's mostly the top back that is a bit too flat because of limitations of Legos that makes it sligthly off...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Saw post on Brickset on this new building block idea.

It looks like it has a lot of potential (pun intended). The only concern I would have is the durability of the "tendons" or flex component.

http://flexo.nz/

Talk about a relevant username. Haha

Can you (or anyone else) explain to me what this type of thing would be good for? I can't really think of any uses for it to be honest. I'm sure I'm missing obvious stuff though.

Talk about a relevant username. Haha

Can you (or anyone else) explain to me what this type of thing would be good for? I can't really think of any uses for it to be honest. I'm sure I'm missing obvious stuff though.

Haha, I didn't notice my username connection. Bent part is meant for my unhinged mental state. It's also an oxymoron as bricks aren't flexible (until Flexo). :)

You need to watch the video to see some uses.
https://youtu.be/oP3aIMZhncE
The functional bow was pretty cool. Making wearable items isn't my thing, but for kids it's a huge play feature IMO (utility belt, jewelry, etc.).

Love it. Those guys are really doing work to make some legitimately great ideas sets in a sea of giant detailed buildings and ships that wont get passed

Haha, I didn't notice my username connection. Bent part is meant for my unhinged mental state. It's also an oxymoron as bricks aren't flexible (until Flexo). :)

You need to watch the video to see some uses.
https://youtu.be/oP3aIMZhncE
The functional bow was pretty cool. Making wearable items isn't my thing, but for kids it's a huge play feature IMO (utility belt, jewelry, etc.).

Lego should acquire them.

The functioning catapult and "rope" bridge are amazing.

Lego should acquire them.

The functioning catapult and "rope" bridge are amazing.

They actually met with LEGO executives. They discuss it in either the Kickstarter and:eek:r their website. Can't recall. Time will tell if LEGO passed up on a good thing. It's kinda niche market by itself, but with a block set it expands LEGO building into another "system" of play and possibilities.

Edit: Thinking about it, LEGO has so much money LEGO could just wait to see if it takes off and just buy them out even if they have to pay more.

LEGO bought out the Modulex rights back just to stop it from being remade. The company that owned the rights already have prototypes made and were close to production.

I finally psyched myself up to buy the Castle on the assumption I would regret not buying it more than I would regret buying it.

It was out of stock when I went yesterday (I get 10% discount at the Lego discovery centre near me) but imagine I will buy it when i see it in stock there

mrkgoo

Saw post on Brickset on this new building block idea.

It looks like it has a lot of potential (pun intended). The only concern I would have is the durability of the "tendons" or flex component.

http://flexo.nz/

Just for argument's sake, isn't part of what makes Lego so great that it has limitations? That you see how builds work with the limitations of the pieces.

I will not argue that Lego has come a LONG way with actually introducing a ton of useful parts and fully embracing SNOT techniques, designing pieces to do so etc...

But where is the line between what makes a universal interlocking building block system and just pieces that can stick anywhere and do anything? Like imagine an extreme example where you have magnetic blocks that can attach ANY way. I would argue it would be considerably less interesting.

I'm just bringing it up for sake of discussion, not that I'm hating on this new way of thinking about attaching blocks that you've brought up. Like would we like, say, if Lego started introducing slopes with studs on 45 degree angles? Just where would the line be?

Of course, Lego has Technic which is arguably their version of taking it further. What you've posted would fit in line with that, or perhaps be its own system, as Lego have been known to do.

Just for argument's sake, isn't part of what makes Lego so great that it has limitations? That you see how builds work with the limitations of the pieces.

I will not argue that Lego has come a LONG way with actually introducing a ton of useful parts and fully embracing SNOT techniques, designing pieces to do so etc...

But where is the line between what makes a universal interlocking building block system and just pieces that can stick anywhere and do anything? Like imagine an extreme example where you have magnetic blocks that can attach ANY way. I would argue it would be considerably less interesting.

I'm just bringing it up for sake of discussion, not that I'm hating on this new way of thinking about attaching blocks that you've brought up. Like would we like, say, if Lego started introducing slopes with studs on 45 degree angles? Just where would the line be?

Of course, Lego has Technic which is arguably their version of taking it further. What you've posted would fit in line with that, or perhaps be its own system, as Lego have been known to do.

LEGO executives obviously agree that something like Flexo doesn't fit the direction LEGO is going. They met with Flexo creators and did not choose to pursue any collaboration or what not.

As for limitations, yes that is part of the charm of LEGO (and why there are LEGO purists). However, another aspect of LEGO charm is doing whatever you want with it including mixing it with anything. I do find the challenge of working within LEGO constraints enjoyable, but I also enjoy working outside of those constraints. Anyway, if something is 100% purely LEGO made, it gets a lot of extra street cred from me.

LEGO does now have a rigorous process to determine if a new part design will be made. So there is some line, but we are only privy to a small part of what it is. I believe it was implemented after the near bankruptcy of LEGO. Seems like plates with studs on both sides is past the line.

I liken Flexo as something along the lines of ball-joints. LEGO has made lots of parts that don't really "fit" the building system. Examples of what I'm talking about are the stuff Ninjago and and Legends of Chima introduced. Spinners, Speedorz, and Airjitzu Flyers were made to add a new play factor. IMO, they are more like a toy that was made compatible with LEGO building system. Like I stated, I liken Flexo as something like ball-joints. Both are highly reusable and add a whole new dynamic to building possibilities and play factor.

As it stands, Flexo if funded will be a 3rd party item and as such won't be considered pure LEGO if used. It will fall in with 3rd party category with the likes of accessories, light bricks, etc.
I look forward to see what is possible with that system.

EDIT: This discussion reminded me of a project that wanted to bridge most of the popular construction systems.

THE FREE UNIVERSAL CONSTRUCTION KIT
I think this is the official site.

melike75

Neo Member
Help me Lego-gaf!

I'm considering the GBHQ but over here its $500 so ... I'm a little hesitant to get it as I'm not IN LOVE with it. I've been hearing a bit of negativity (that might be a strong word) about this set however in several places (this thread being one of them) and I was wondering if I could get people who have the set to help either sway me towards getting it or push me away.

Whaddaya think? I'm not a HUGE ghostbusters fan - I like it ok, but I do like buildings and I love all the details inside. I know that most of the time you won't SEE the inside but hey.

Basically do you have the set? If you do would you recommend it? Why? Why not?

2000 word minimum. On my desk by Monday.

(But seriously, any thoughts would be appreciated.

wetwired

Help me Lego-gaf!

I'm considering the GBHQ but over here its $500 so ... I'm a little hesitant to get it as I'm not IN LOVE with it. I've been hearing a bit of negativity (that might be a strong word) about this set however in several places (this thread being one of them) and I was wondering if I could get people who have the set to help either sway me towards getting it or push me away.

Whaddaya think? I'm not a HUGE ghostbusters fan - I like it ok, but I do like buildings and I love all the details inside. I know that most of the time you won't SEE the inside but hey.

Not surprisingly I have one, plan on buying a second

Take that for what it's worth

Rootbeer

Banned
Cool. LEGO finally put the new Shop @ Home website live for USA customers. Not sure about other regions. Check for yourself and see.

https://shop.lego.com/

How do you view the best selling sets on the new website? Did they remove that feature?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally ordered the Simpson's House. While I know it's not highly regarded, it's probably the most at risk of going OOP. On top of that, I do appreciate it for what it is. Someone on /r/LEGO posted an MOC that utilizes 4 Houses. It's amazing and makes me wish I had 4 of them now, ha.

melike75

Neo Member
Not surprisingly I have one, plan on buying a second

Take that for what it's worth

Well, yes. You would though wouldnt you :)

Hey, I'll have to read back through the thread to see if you ended up finding good storage solutions over here. I'm starting up a small bricklink store and all the good stuff to store stuff in is US only it seems. Will read back through the thread to find out.

Well, yes. You would though wouldnt you :)

Hey, I'll have to read back through the thread to see if you ended up finding good storage solutions over here. I'm starting up a small bricklink store and all the good stuff to store stuff in is US only it seems. Will read back through the thread to find out.
Instead of reading reviews I think you should spend your time making more videos.

Help me Lego-gaf!

I'm a pretty big Ghostbusters fan so to me the set is worth it simply to have a big freaking Ghostbusters HQ in my city street. While it's slightly oversized compared to modulars (Fire Brigade would be the equivalent), it's still decently in scale. It's not "boring" to me, it's as iconic as, for example, the Millennium Falcon or the DeLorean or Orthanc. I also didn't have a problem with the opening walls. But even if you do - are you realistically going to display it half open?

Decided to get the naboo starfighter since it was on sale for $30. I was thinking about getting the corner deli for the same price, but Ive been in a prequel ship mood lately. Love the designs of those things. Also buildings aren't swooshable

Haven't had one in a while. I scored all three Advanced Models Airplanes--Sopwith Camel, Red Baron, and Wright Flyer for $100. They're complete, dusty, and the stickers are peeling, but I'm pretty happy.

Help me Lego-gaf!

Buy now, think later.

If you do any sort of MOC building or want to color change some other set, it seems like GB HQ is a goldmine for dark red bricks. I haven't gotten it yet, but it's on my RADAR to purchase before next Summer.
Chances are set will appreciate in value so if have buyers remorse you can sell later.

Haven't had one in a while. I scored all three Advanced Models Airplanes--Sopwith Camel, Red Baron, and Wright Flyer for $100. They're complete, dusty, and the stickers are peeling, but I'm pretty happy.

Congrats! Check out Bricklink if new stickers are reasonably priced. Shipping for stickers has to be extremely cheap too compared to parts.

mrkgoo

LEGO executives obviously agree that something like Flexo doesn't fit the direction LEGO is going. They met with Flexo creators and did not choose to pursue any collaboration or what not.

As for limitations, yes that is part of the charm of LEGO (and why there are LEGO purists). However, another aspect of LEGO charm is doing whatever you want with it including mixing it with anything. I do find the challenge of working within LEGO constraints enjoyable, but I also enjoy working outside of those constraints. Anyway, if something is 100% purely LEGO made, it gets a lot of extra street cred from me.

LEGO does now have a rigorous process to determine if a new part design will be made. So there is some line, but we are only privy to a small part of what it is. I believe it was implemented after the near bankruptcy of LEGO. Seems like plates with studs on both sides is past the line.

I liken Flexo as something along the lines of ball-joints. LEGO has made lots of parts that don't really "fit" the building system. Examples of what I'm talking about are the stuff Ninjago and and Legends of Chima introduced. Spinners, Speedorz, and Airjitzu Flyers were made to add a new play factor. IMO, they are more like a toy that was made compatible with LEGO building system. Like I stated, I liken Flexo as something like ball-joints. Both are highly reusable and add a whole new dynamic to building possibilities and play factor.

As it stands, Flexo if funded will be a 3rd party item and as such won't be considered pure LEGO if used. It will fall in with 3rd party category with the likes of accessories, light bricks, etc.
I look forward to see what is possible with that system.

EDIT: This discussion reminded me of a project that wanted to bridge most of the popular construction systems.

THE FREE UNIVERSAL CONSTRUCTION KIT
I think this is the official site.

Yeah it's an interesting discussion, thanks for your comments.

Buy now, think later.

If you do any sort of MOC building or want to color change some other set, it seems like GB HQ is a goldmine for dark red bricks. I haven't gotten it yet, but it's on my RADAR to purchase before next Summer.
Chances are set will appreciate in value so if have buyers remorse you can sell later.

hmmm maybe i should pick a modular i missed and make it in red out of ghostbuster parts....

Koren

If you do any sort of MOC building or want to color change some other set, it seems like GB HQ is a goldmine for dark red bricks.
Well, I was convinced to buy one (it's iconic for me, I don't find it boring), but you guys are making me thinking about buying a second one for parts. Given the price, it still seems crazy to me, but it's growing on me...

Finally ordered the Simpson's House. While I know it's not highly regarded, it's probably the most at risk of going OOP. On top of that, I do appreciate it for what it is. Someone on /r/LEGO posted an MOC that utilizes 4 Houses. It's amazing and makes me wish I had 4 of them now, ha.
Is this still minifig-sized and faithful to the original house? 4 seems a lot...

Well, I was convinced to buy one (it's iconic for me, I don't find it boring), but you guys are making me thinking about buying a second one for parts. Given the price, it still seems crazy to me, but it's growing on me...

As I learned with the Spidey bridge, selling extra minifigures takes the sting out of buying duplicate sets.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Is this still minifig-sized and faithful to the original house? 4 seems a lot...

From the pics, I'd argue that the scale is better in the redesign. To the point where I'm trying to convince myself not to buy multiples of this damn set.

Album here

Select pics:

zBkpTp0l.jpg

1SIvL56l.jpg

melike75

Neo Member
Instead of reading reviews I think you should spend your time making more videos.

Ha :) I wish. They took HOURS to do and I dont have that much free time (You should see my stockpile of sets to make). I'm still trying to think of a way to streamline it to make it more doable. Nice to know that you liked them though.

I'm a pretty big Ghostbusters fan so to me the set is worth it simply to have a big freaking Ghostbusters HQ in my city street. While it's slightly oversized compared to modulars (Fire Brigade would be the equivalent), it's still decently in scale. It's not "boring" to me, it's as iconic as, for example, the Millennium Falcon or the DeLorean or Orthanc. I also didn't have a problem with the opening walls. But even if you do - are you realistically going to display it half open?

Good point.

Buy now, think later.

I know, I know! :)
Thanks everyone for the comments. I think everything ive read here and elsewhere has been overwhelmingly positive.

From the pics, I'd argue that the scale is better in the redesign. To the point where I'm trying to convince myself not to buy multiples of this damn set.

Album here

Select pics:

zBkpTp0l.jpg

1SIvL56l.jpg
This is amazing! I wish it only needed two sets. I could justify buying a second one to make it look like that but I could never justify four of them.

Really disappointing that they're not using Lego for the terrain. Kinda lame tbh.

Oh my.

Yeah, the non-LEGO terrain wasn't my cup of tea. I dunno how I feel that they are making that character seem goofy for comic relief. Definitely not a good first impression for me.

Edit: The new goofy characterization makes It clear why Jackie Chan was chosen. He's not really known for his voice acting abilities though. It's his physicality and great facial expressions, not his voice that are his strongpoints. Sigh.

Album here

Select pics:

zBkpTp0l.jpg

1SIvL56l.jpg

This is incredible BUT why would it require 4 houses?! Is the original that small? Why would they release the original without properly fleshing out the house? Did this person take detailed notes on his modifications?

Koren

The original is smaller, maybe 40% smaller.

The trick is, 40% smaller means roughly 1/3 of the bricks (it scales roughly with the square of dimensions)

Pretty sure there's leftovers with four... I wonder what would be lacking with three.

The original have everything important, but it's a bit cramped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom