• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maengun1

On October 1st I'll be ordering the Holiday Train and the Brick Bank (finally catching me up completely on all the currently available modulars <3)

Hoping the Train doesn't go out of stock, but I'll risk waiting for the double points

Holiday Countdown Calendar looks cool

ujHqUtt.jpg

Darn it! U-Wing is starting to look interesting. Also, the other ships are starting to grow on me. Heaven forbid that the movie is awesome and makes the ships even more desirable.

Darn you LEGO! and Star Wars!

I'm all in for a bunch of those new minifigs.

Brilliant may try that - typically we tend to throw out the stands with the CMF as we never found a use for them

Oh man.

Each one goes for closer to $0.20 on Bricklink in new condition. A few list for around $0.10, but just for single digit quantities.

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=88646&idColor=11#T=S&C=11&O={"color":11,"cond":"N"}

Alright, who here throws the boxes away when done building a set? I've been keeping all my boxes broken down, but now the space even that takes up is getting out of hand.
Part of my brain says to keep them if I ever sell the sets. But a bigger part says I won't ever sell the sets anyways, so why keep the boxes?

You need to separate them into 2 piles.
1 ) Belongs to a collectible set that has or will likely appreciate a lot. Most > $100 sets, limited editions, etc.

2) Won't add to resale value or a set that won't appreciate much.

I recycle all my 2's which eliminates >90% of boxes of sets I get.

Now, if you think you won't resell, try selling just the boxes. Won't hurt. If you truly are low on space after that, then toss them. Although I'm sure they would sell if you lowered the price enough.

Personally, I think you should keep boxes like the modulars, UCS, etc if you don't sell them. Someday you may resell. I sold some LEGO stuff I didn't plan on selling. Maybe not next year, maybe not in 5 years...maybe in 20 years. Who knows?

EDIT: Same goes for instructions. I do prefer physical instructions, but those things take a lot of space and weigh a ton. I'll build sets and if I don't think I'll rebuild them I toss them and will use digital instruction in the future if I need the instructions. I do keep physical instructions for all sets that I think are collectible or will have a high appreciation aftermarket price.

Ponn

Banned
That free holiday calendar is going to go fast on Oct. 1st. Usually they do the whole 1 of 2 holiday themed giveaways, are we still getting a 2nd holiday freebie on brickfriday?

That free holiday calendar is going to go fast on Oct. 1st. Usually they do the whole 1 of 2 holiday themed giveaways, are we still getting a 2nd holiday freebie on brickfriday?

I thought there was a leaked pic of a Santa snow globe thing that was going to be the second set.

Osahi

Jang makes a case for the new(ish) death star

He argues that with inflation, added value of 200 pieces and new figs, the price hike isn't as severe as it seems.

Also: Lego clearly markets it as a return and it didn't 'steal' r&d from other sets

Eh, I'm not buying the inflation argument as if price per piece isnt a thing anymore. If it's 4000 pieces, it should be $400. Thats how it was in 2008 and that's how it is now. Doesn't change simply because it's an old set being refreshed. It's strange jang is using this logic, because then he should be okay with basically any set being ~.12 cents per piece these days due to "inflation". Yes there was a 200 part increase but that doesn't justify the price.

Only logic I could see is that, sets today have more smaller parts and less volume for your dollar than sets 10 years ago, despite having a ~10 cents per piece ratio still. And that's how they adjust for inflation. But older sets that don't have the amount of smaller pieces but are still being released may need a price bump to compensate. But that feels like a whole lot of mental gymnastics to justify a $100 increase.

That being said, I can only afford a $20-30 set every month these days so this issue isn't exactly relevant to me lol. Guess I just like drama

Osahi

Eh, I'm not buying the inflation argument as if price per piece isnt a thing anymore. If it's 4000 pieces, it should be $400. Thats how it was in 2008 and that's how it is now. Doesn't change simply because it's an old set being refreshed. It's strange jang is using this logic, because then he should be okay with basically any set being ~.12 cents per piece these days due to "inflation". Yes there was a 200 part increase but that doesn't justify the price.

Maybe it's a Europe thing, but Star Wars sets haven't been 0,1/piece in a long time (not since I came out of the dark ages). Only currently available set I know of with that ratio is Slave 1. Granted, i only compare pieces to price on sets I have interest in, so I could miss one or two, but in general: Star Wars is more expensive then other lines.

Osahi

I just looked on Brickset, and the 0,1/piece ratio isn't a thing on Star Wars. It's closer to 0,11.

That was even the case back in 2008 on a lot of sets.

Koren

Alright, who here throws the boxes away when done building a set?
Pretty sure all the boxes of the sets I've had when I was a child are still at my parent's house. I currently store all my boxes too, although I should really look into collapsing them, instead of playing the "matrioshka" game.

I was storing most of my old boxes and it was nice to be able to sort out the old parts and put them back in the boxes for storage. But really, looking back at it, it only adds a tiny amount to the cost - hardly worth keeping anything in storage for 30 years. If they were sealed, that would be another thing.

Currently I'm saving boxes for modulars and other collectibles, but flattened. It was just taking up too much storage space. I'm keeping the nice Ideas boxes intact though. Same with instructions, I'm tossing everything that isn't collectible. Creator sets are crazy - three heavy manuals for every single set.

Koren

Ummmm, what?
I don't open the plastic sheet enclosing the booklets, I download those from the internet in pdf form when I build the sets.

I find this better, in any case (no problem staying open, takes less space on the desk).

The only issue (but that's also an issue with actual booklets, sometimes) is that it can be trickier sometimes to recognize some colors.

TheFuzz

I don't open the plastic sheet enclosing the booklets, I download those from the internet in pdf form when I build the sets.

I find this better, in any case (no problem staying open, takes less space on the desk).

The only issue (but that's also an issue with actual booklets, sometimes) is that it can be trickier sometimes to recognize some colors.

Oh ok. I've never heard of that. The space thing I can see, however.

Osahi

I still have all my boxes, except VW Camper, Toy Story RC and a landspeeder, which I all bought while I was still in my Dark Ages (which only started when I started to buy regulary)

I will probably throw some of them out soon, especially the regular sets. Modular and Creator Expert boxes I'll keep. You never know if I find some crazy person willing to part some money for them.

In other news. Just saw my firs Minifig series 16 in the wild. Felt for banana guy, pinguing kid and Marriachi man and bought four, thinking I got the first two for sure, 90ù sure about mariachi and thinking I had the babysitter too.

Ended up with Banana guy, the cyborg lady (mistaken her armour for a marriachi hat, lol), the arctic explorer (thought the pinguing was the baby) and the hiker.

Actually pretty glad with the turnout. Forgot about the hiker completely, and he seems actually the best of the bunch. I love his 'lost' face! Arctic explorer is very cool too. Only the cyborg lady isn't too my tastes, but that's fine.

Will try to get the pinguin kid and the marriachi too in the future. Had a lot of banana guys going trough my fingers, but no guitar... :(

Currently 12 for 12 feeling this new series, still haven't found the babysitter yet but will have another look tomorrow. Felt through a whole box and none of them I was totally confident were her.

As for boxes, I still have all mine. I have a somewhat large backlog so all the new unopened boxes are inside other empty boxes so they're not really taking up much extra space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Caterham in October seems a must buy. Still don't like the VW beetle but otherwise the new vehicles are a sting series for me (camper is best IMO)

I've remained strong by not buying Big Ben but once I make some space by breaking down tower bridge I might cave.

Caterham in October seems a must buy. Still don't like the VW beetle but otherwise the new vehicles are a sting series for me (camper is best IMO)

I've remained strong by not buying Big Ben but once I make some space by breaking down tower bridge I might cave.
Beetle is better than Camper. Build it and see the glory!

Thank you!

I picked up the Tanker yesterday and Ra's set today. Is the Doctor Strange set exclusive to the LEGO stores? I'd prefer to pick it up locally but will order if needed.

The Tanker is terrific. I hadn't realized that the figs were unique so was really pleased with the Spiderman one. Looks like Vision's infinity gem is the only difference from the standard Vision fig. TLG is killing it in the Marvel fig department.

I still have a hard time believing this claim, but I look forward to building it. The Camper is such a wonderful set from top to bottom.

There was some discussion on boxes - I keep all of mine, but as others have said I'm not really sure why. I don't think I'm going to sell the sets and since they're not sealed the yield will be pretty limited. Thank god Ghostmind convinced me to not collect the horrid plastic bags the bricks come in. When I returned to the hobby I was keeping everything.

I keep all my boxes broken down right now, and then I box up those broken down boxes in other boxes to store in the garage or a spare closet. It still takes up a ton of space. My collector mentality says "But they are worth something!"
The rational part of me that says, "You will never sell them" is starting to win. I know if I toss them all I will feel bad for a month or two, but then will get over it. Maybe in a month or two I will finally snap and toss them all out.

As for instructions, I know that BentBricks said he rarely keeps them and does PDFs, but I just have a hard time telling colors on the PDFs. And I have a few filing cabinets for the instructions. Those I feel I should keep, because i never know when I will want to rebuild something old.

Still on the fence about boxes. Hell, about to put some UCS sets that have been broken down for almost two years into the collective since I don't have enough display space for everything.

Oh, how this hobby evolves as you get more stuff from it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i haven't checked brickbuilder's vid yet, but is Disney Castle like the Firehouse, in that it has a great interior?

i haven't checked brickbuilder's vid yet, but is Disney Castle like the Firehouse, in that it has a great interior?

The interior of Ghostbuster's HQ was the best part, as the exterior was pretty bland to build.

Disney Castle has some really nice nostalgic touches inside, but utterly fantastic details and builds on the outside.

The two sets are in two different leagues for me. Ghostbusters was like Simpson's House. I liked a lot of interior details and touches, but in the end it felt a bit bland even if I enjoyed myself most of the way through the build.

Disney Castle was just a joy from start to end, with so many awesome techniques and textures used inside and out. The interior details have some cool lil micro builds, which is where Marcos Bessa shines (he did Simpsons, Ghostbusters, and Disney big sets). It is just the exterior of Disney that shoots it way over the top.

Osahi

It is a half open building with little rooms at the back which all represent a Disney classic, like beauty and the beast, fantasia, aladdin... Lots of awesome minibuilds like a spinning wheel, grandfather clock, etc

Boss Doggie

oh so DC isn't just outside appearance, but has a solid inside too? cool, looks like a worthy investment

now time for me to find a place to put it when I do buy it lol

EDIT: wait, half open building like those City buildings? Not a big fan of those.

oh so DC isn't just outside appearance, but has a solid inside too? cool, looks like a worthy investment

now time for me to find a place to put it when I do buy it lol

EDIT: wait, half open building like those City buildings? Not a big fan of those.

Personally, I would rather have the half and half stuff unless it is a modular. It looks great on display, and is easy to just spin around and show off the details without having to open up something or take it apart. It is kind of the best of both worlds.

Ponn

Banned
Personally, I would rather have the half and half stuff unless it is a modular. It looks great on display, and is easy to just spin around and show off the details without having to open up something or take it apart. It is kind of the best of both worlds.

Plus to keep it that size and enclosed it would basically be two of them making it ludicrous expensive.

Plus to keep it that size and enclosed it would basically be two of them making it ludicrous expensive.

And a ridiculous footprint as well.

Also, the dollhouse action on Ghostbusters isn't working too hot. The wall is so heavy that once it gets past the baseplate, it doesn't always swing back smoothly. The roof on mine also bows and doesn't stay attached.

It isn't long for display here. It will get torn down probably before the new year.

Ponn

Banned
And a ridiculous footprint as well.

Also, the dollhouse action on Ghostbusters isn't working too hot. The wall is so heavy that once it gets past the baseplate, it doesn't always swing back smoothly. The roof on mine also bows and doesn't stay attached.

It isn't long for display here. It will get torn down probably before the new year.

Thats very disappointing to hear about GB firehouse. The figs are so great in that set but for being a boring display piece the price on it kills it. Along with the imperfections i've heard here and in the Jang review (basically the same things) makes it hard to recommend.

I'm not sure anything will beat the Haunted House set for a dollhouse build. Set was so perfect with a nice inside, solid build all around the whole model and such a great display piece. It's amazing looking back at what they did with that set with a similar piece count to a modular.

UK DEAL: TEMPLE OF AIRJITZU FOR £116!!

It's at Smyths for £136, but the code "SEP20" takes £20 off it. Seems like a total bargain for a £170 set that people rave about constantly. I've bought it despite no interest in Ninjago, so it better be as good as people say it is!

There's a bunch of other sets you could get £20 off which are already discounted for super-bargains, but this is the highlight.

Boss Doggie

I feel like half buildings are incomplete, and I'm kinda used to the premiere prices being a bit more "enclosed" in style.

And even after seeing bb's vid, he didn't even show the whole shot of the interior, and I thought the castle felt incomplete

I think the Scooby Doo haunted house was also pretty good

Thats very disappointing to hear about GB firehouse. The figs are so great in that set but for being a boring display piece the price on it kills it. Along with the imperfections i've heard here and in the Jang review (basically the same things) makes it hard to recommend.

I'm not sure anything will beat the Haunted House set for a dollhouse build. Set was so perfect with a nice inside, solid build all around the whole model and such a great display piece. It's amazing looking back at what they did with that set with a similar piece count to a modular.

Haunted House was something special. That is one set that will never be disassembled except to rebuild it for fun.
UK DEAL: TEMPLE OF AIRJITZU FOR £116!!

It's at Smyths for £136, but the code "SEP20" takes £20 off it. Seems like a total bargain for a £170 set that people rave about constantly. I've bought it despite no interest in Ninjago, so it better be as good as people say it is!

There's a bunch of other sets you could get £20 off which are already discounted for super-bargains, but this is the highlight.
Buy! Buy! Buy!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Beetle looks like a Citroen 2CV. There is surely no way it's better than the camper which is almost perfect. If the box photos do it a disservice I'd be happy to see any other photos that make it look more beetle-y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom