• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, nice arch over the entrance sounds nice. Maybe with ivy growing on it or some random flower bricks sticking out.
That park is really nice looking though. I stocked up on flowers years ago in the hopes of doing a park and have still yet to try one.

3N16MA

Banned
It looks like the major issue there is buying more than the limit of sets, presumably for resale. That, at least, is not an issue!

Seems like it. It would be weird for TLG to ban someone for simply having a Bricklink account. Seems that investors who have a history of going over the order limit on sets get caught and banned.

wetwired

Oh, nice arch over the entrance sounds nice. Maybe with ivy growing on it or some random flower bricks sticking out.
That park is really nice looking though. I stocked up on flowers years ago in the hopes of doing a park and have still yet to try one.

I've yet to figure out where to put my flower bed, either a small one to the left on the footpath or something on the right hand side in the park itself near the pergola. I was thinking perhaps some brick built topiary along the right hand side there to sort of fence off that area in front of the pergola

I've yet to figure out where to put my flower bed, either a small one to the left on the footpath or something on the right hand side in the park itself near the pergola. I was thinking perhaps some brick built topiary along the right hand side there to sort of fence off that area in front of the pergola

Yeah, a flower bed is one thing I never really cracked. The new 5x stems this past year kind of opened things up, and I want tons of those. You could pull off some really cool looking Edward Scissorhands style things with those and the old 3X stems.

golem

You're making my head spin here... Thanks for the effort though, i do appreciate it!

If i understand you correctly then i'd probably need another (better) camera to achieve what i have in mind though :(

I would just focus stack (combining images with different focus points). Thats the best way to get what you're going for anyways

I would just focus stack (combining images with different focus points). Thats the best way to get what you're going for anyways

Thanks (also tx to Koren)! This means post processing though right? I was always hesitant to do that since i kinda feel a picture loses it's authenticity to a certain degree if it's trifled with later... I guess there really is no other way though to achieve that level of focus when involving macro stuff like this!

Since this discussion is really borderline off topic here it's probably best to leave it at this. I will PM if i have any further troubles though if that's ok :)

On Topic:

I really can't wait for all these Dimensions packs, year 2 really seems to be KILLING it compared to the first one. Even pumped for the return of HP, although i own and finished both Lego HP games, i kinda want to return to that world now :)

soma27

Does anyone know if the motor in this set:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4S6PGC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would work to motorize the holiday train, or would I still need 88002. I can't tell from the pictures if the included motor is customized to the high speed train or would be universal.

Being it has the IR remote, battery box, and IR receiver (plus extra tracks) I thought it would make sense to get this set as a companion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New Lego store opening in Leicester Square London in November. Might try to get there for the opening if there are offers/freebies

Osahi

So i figured the big character I am missing Lego Star Wars wise is Darth Vader himself. I am unsure which set to get him with though. Death Star is out of my league. I love ships, but I hear the A-wing vs Tie is expensive for what you get (though amazon.de has it pretty cheap). I like Final Duel, bit i's more of a play set and i am a display guy.

So, A-Wing vs Tie or Final Duel? They would basicly cost the same

willp2003

So i figured the big character I am missing Lego Star Wars wise is Darth Vader himself. I am unsure which set to get him with though. Death Star is out of my league. I love ships, but I hear the A-wing vs Tie is expensive for what you get (though amazon.de has it pretty cheap). I like Final Duel, bit i's more of a play set and i am a display guy.

So, A-Wing vs Tie or Final Duel? They would basicly cost the same

Those two figures are slightly different. One is based on rebels and the other on the OT. Depends if your fussy about which version you get. I also want the new two piece head, but will just bricklink it I think.

Osahi

I am not picky. Must say the final duel figs interest me a tad more. I found it cheaper too, so I'll order that one.

Guess,I might pick up the other set maybe later if I find it cheaper than now (76 euro is the lowest I could find at the moment)

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Lego Dimensions and minifig DLC will continue to both fascinate and frustrate me in equal measure.

I thought Fantastic Beasts -and Adventure Time!- wouldve been its own theme for sure- its sad its locked to Dimensions.

Osahi

Lego Dimensions and minifig DLC will continue to both fascinate and frustrate me in equal measure.

I thought Fantastic Beasts -and Adventure Time!- wouldve been its own theme for sure- its sad its locked to Dimensions.
[
They are not? Adventure time is half anyway, as it gets a ideas set (no minifigs though ). Fantastic Beasts gets a line if I am not mistaken... Right?

ghostmind

I've heard Fantastic Beasts will be its own theme in 2017. Hopefully that is the case.

Goddamn.

28868628126_24ca82ae10_o.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
I am not picky. Must say the final duel figs interest me a tad more. I found it cheaper too, so I'll order that one.

Guess,I might pick up the other set maybe later if I find it cheaper than now (76 euro is the lowest I could find at the moment)

You can do a nice display with a playset. They make a great way to display minifigs.

wetwired

I spent some more time on the park last night, put the modulars either side to see how it fits, still very much WIP so any feedback is welcome

Screenshot%202016-09-21%2012.20.22.png

Screenshot%202016-09-21%2012.20.15.png

What I think I need to start doing now is start setting up the "stories" like modulars do, like the couple getting engaged in the Parisian restaurant (I thought I could have them getting married in the pergola in the park) Perhaps a businessman reading a paper. A kid on the swing (which I haven't added yet under the tree)

I thought I might move the chair at the back to the right hand side and put a giant chess board in front of it. Though then I need something to put at the back where the bench was, perhaps a bird bath?

I spent some more time on the park last night, put the modulars either side to see how it fits, still very much WIP so any feedback is welcome

What I think I need to start doing now is start setting up the "stories" like modulars do, like the couple getting engaged in the Parisian restaurant (I thought I could have them getting married in the pergola in the park) Perhaps a businessman reading a paper. A kid on the swing (which I haven't added yet under the tree)

I thought I might move the chair at the back to the right hand side and put a giant chess board in front of it. Though then I need something to put at the back where the bench was, perhaps a bird bath?

Looking sharp as hell.

Maybe I need to take a look at learning LDD some more. I tried a few years ago and just got frustrated, but it had been a long time since I played with a 3D design program.

EDIT: Trying to figure out how you did one of the offsets on the main body of the fountain. Can see the jumper plates for the sides, but the front with the slight offset with the trans blue unikitty tail coming out is throwing me off.

Or is it just SNOT coming from the middle and in between the 1x1x3 bricks?

That's a clever use of the new 1/2 circle 1x1 tiles as leaves and as part of the walkway. We all know Jaimie will probably use a lot of those in future modulars.

Nice touch with the steps at an angle for the gazebo.

wetwired

Looking sharp as hell.

Maybe I need to take a look at learning LDD some more. I tried a few years ago and just got frustrated, but it had been a long time since I played with a 3D design program.

EDIT: Trying to figure out how you did one of the offsets on the main body of the fountain. Can see the jumper plates for the sides, but the front with the slight offset with the trans blue unikitty tail coming out is throwing me off.

Or is it just SNOT coming from the middle and in between the 1x1x3 bricks?

Yeah it's snot, there's a couple of 4 way 1x1 with studs on each sides in the middle with 1x3 grey tiles on them between 4 1x1x3 bricks

3N16MA

Banned

You need a backstory for statue dude. Then name the park after him.

Koren

Yeah I wanted to keep withing the modular 32x32 baseplate format (even with the technic pin connectors between them) So Korens Japanese Modular Garden can slide right in next door :)
Well, It'll take time... I've started to gather some pieces like leaves in red/orange/pink, and I'm toying with ways to create bridges or bamboo, but I'm far from anything done. I'm also not half as talented as many here like you.

The current render is interesting... I thought it could be a nice corner building, but I wasn't seeing how the wood fence at the back would sit next to a wall. I was wondering about a back-alley. But having the statue against a wall works well.

Indeed... I'm especially curious of how you can insert a model between others...

Why not make it two modulars in length? Give it a more open feel?
Well, with constraints come some creative tricks... It's hard, though.

This means post processing though right? I was always hesitant to do that since i kinda feel a picture loses it's authenticity to a certain degree if it's trifled with later...
Yes, it's post-processing. I kinda feel the same IF you can do it without post-processing (for example, I love doing fuming lights of towns by night by doing a long exposure and dropping/moving the camera at the end... it's trivial in post-processing, but that's cheating ^_^) But stacking or HDR mostly handle limitations of the camera, so that gets a pass for me.

Since this discussion is really borderline off topic here it's probably best to leave it at this.
Indeed... But feel free to PM if we can be of any help...

wetwired

Well, It'll take time... I've started to gather some pieces like leaves in red/orange/pink, and I'm toying with ways to create bridges or bamboo, but I'm far from anything done. I'm also not half as talented as many here like you.

The current render is interesting... I thought it could be a nice corner building, but I wasn't seeing how the wood fence at the back would sit next to a wall. I was wondering about a back-alley. But having the statue against a wall works well.

The first few iterations of this had it on a corner (it ate up too much of the park real estate due to the need for a footpath) and a grungy side alleyway (again took up too much real estate)

Other ditched ideals included a centerpiece fountain which chewed up too much real estate and a center garden with footpaths all around, which left me with little to no space remaining

The first few iterations of this had it on a corner (it ate up too much of the park real estate due to the need for a footpath) and a grungy side alleyway (again took up too much real estate)

Other ditched ideals included a centerpiece fountain which chewed up too much real estate and a center garden with footpaths all around, which left me with little to no space remaining

I think the Jardin Du Luxembourg should be your inspiration

http://www.thehistoryhub.com/jardin-du-luxembourg-facts-pictures.htm

Koren

Yes, creating something that can fit on such a small footprint and don't feel cramped is hard...

I forgot to ask, though... What is the building on the left?

I think the Jardin Du Luxembourg should be your inspiration

http://www.thehistoryhub.com/jardin-du-luxembourg-facts-pictures.htm
It's a bit large ^_^ But I'd be curious to see how Wetwired would add tennis courts on a 32x26 ^_^

mclem

I have to say, I was kind of imagining it as modular-scale but not designed to take up a 'lot', instead - in my mind - being perhaps the frontage on the opposite side of the road. Seeing it instead breaking up the line of houses makes me think that there was a house there that was demolished, which - being British - puts me in mind of things like the landscaped area that now lies on the site of 25 Cromwell Street....

In October 1996, the Wests' house in Cromwell Street, which was next to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, along with the adjoining property No. 23, was demolished. The site was redeveloped as a landscaped pathway. Every brick was crushed and every timber was burned to discourage souvenir hunters.

Which is rather dark for a cheery modular street!

wetwired

Yes, creating something that can fit on such a small footprint and don't feel cramped is hard...

I forgot to ask, though... What is the building on the left?

It's a bit large ^_^ But I'd be curious to see how Wetwired would add tennis courts on a 32x26 ^_^

It's the Palace Cinema Modular.

Yeah I don't have enough space for a garden park on that scale

I have to say, I was kind of imagining it as modular-scale but not designed to take up a 'lot', instead - in my mind - being perhaps the frontage on the opposite side of the road. Seeing it instead breaking up the line of houses makes me think that there was a house there that was demolished, which - being British - puts me in mind of things like the landscaped area that now lies on the site of 25 Cromwell Street....

Which is rather dark for a cheery modular street!

That may be a tad dark for a modular street yeah :)

I had always intended it to be a "lot" style urban park, I always imagined it as Sesame St

Spent some more time on it tonight, A phone booth, an arch above the entrance, plaque on the left hand pillar, giant chess board and some minifigs to add some "story" to it. The two old guys playing chess, the kid on the not-yet-existing tree swing and a couple getting married in the pergola. I purposefully made them look like dressed up versions of the couple getting engaged in the Parisian Restaurant for some modular continuity.
I'm sitting at 1054 pieces now so it's time to start optimizing and scaling back where I can.

park1.jpg

park.jpg

mclem

Remember this?

UK DEAL: TEMPLE OF AIRJITZU FOR £116!!

It's at Smyths for £136, but the code "SEP20" takes £20 off it. Seems like a total bargain for a £170 set that people rave about constantly. I've bought it despite no interest in Ninjago, so it better be as good as people say it is!

There's a bunch of other sets you could get £20 off which are already discounted for super-bargains, but this is the highlight.

I missed out; I saw it in time as far as the discount was concerned, but it was out of stock. But it's still 20% off, it's now back in stock, and there's a new discount code active up until the 27th: ST5 gives £5 off £20+, ST10 gives £10 off £50+, ST20 gives £20 off £100+. Excludes video games, so I won't also put this in the CAG thread.

So, yes, Airjitzu for £116 again. Catch it while you can!

YIr515x.png

I'm not missing out again.

teeny

I've gone to pick up CMF in Both Tesco and Sainsburys before and found packets snipped open :( As per usual, a few morons ruin things for everyone else.

3N16MA

Banned
It's the Palace Cinema Modular.

Yeah I don't have enough space for a garden park on that scale

That may be a tad dark for a modular street yeah :)

I had always intended it to be a "lot" style urban park, I always imagined it as Sesame St

Spent some more time on it tonight, A phone booth, an arch above the entrance, plaque on the left hand pillar, giant chess board and some minifigs to add some "story" to it. The two old guys playing chess, the kid on the not-yet-existing tree swing and a couple getting married in the pergola. I purposefully made them look like dressed up versions of the couple getting engaged in the Parisian Restaurant for some modular continuity.
I'm sitting at 1054 pieces now so it's time to start optimizing and scaling back where I can.

I can only imagine Sesame St. being built with LEGO. Modular of Hooper's Store.

R-User!

Saw this in my local Tesco. Looks like the dream is over. No feelsies!

Ah that's good to know! GF was asking last night what the chances of new Harry Potter sets were and with the lack of Fantastic Beasts I was worried.

Buy. Feel. Return unopened undesirables.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
assumed the new lego store in London would be like other ones, but apparantly its going to be the biggest Lego retail store...in the world.

The largest LEGO Brand Retail Store in the World to open November 17, 2016, featuring iconic models, exciting technology and a tea-loving mascot...

The new landmark store will be the biggest LEGO® Brand Retail Store in the world, the 37th LEGO store in Europe and cover a vast 914 sq m total area over two floors.

A LEGO Big Ben is currently being built brick-by-brick and will dominate both levels of the store. Made from more than 200,000 bricks and taking an estimated total of 2,280 hours to complete, the brick-built replica will be the world’s largest version of the famous Elizabeth Tower built by the LEGO Group and will stand an awe inspiring 6.53m high. The LEGO store version will also feature a working clock face, which will be illuminated at night – just like the real thing.

In addition to a variety of large LEGO models showcasing the creative potential of the LEGO brick, the store will feature exciting new technology within a LEGO retail environment, exclusive product sets, include hands-on building areas, building demonstrations, a Pick & Build Brick Wall and new iconic LEGO experiences.

Saw this in my local Tesco. Looks like the dream is over. No feelsies!

Good. Enough with adults picking up 5 banana suit guys and leaving nothing special for kids. Do have to add, I would probably never buy without feeling what I will get first, unless the price is great / I am stressed for time.

Remember this?

So, yes, Airjitzu for £116 again. Catch it while you can!

YIr515x.png

I'm not missing out again.

Great deal. Too bad they don't ship outside the UK.

Yesterday we bought the two big Nexo Knights sets for our son and tonight before sleeping we went through the flyer and told me he wanted to have the castle set for his birthday. That was quite a nice moment.

Also built the Cole Dragon (Ninjago) a few days ago together. That was a great built and such great value for the price. It is a very nice dragon, my favourite set of the year so far. And that for less than 10 euro.

ninge

What I think I need to start doing now is start setting up the "stories" like modulars do, like the couple getting engaged in the Parisian restaurant (I thought I could have them getting married in the pergola in the park) Perhaps a businessman reading a paper. A kid on the swing (which I haven't added yet under the tree).

Looking awesome :) only thing I'm not sure about is the fence at the back. It's a nice fence, but it kinda looks run-down and makes the park feel a bit dilapidated. The front wall and entrance is so grand, I think the back would be better if it was equally as grand. It kinda brings down the value of the buildings on either side as it is now.

Does it only have to be a single plate? I know the modulars are always a single base plate, but the piece count must be a lot lower than a modular? Maybe two plates would give the design room to breathe? I only ask becuause our park is two plates wide :p Not as fancy as yours tho, and still a work in progress...

GFev00x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom