• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

So I figure from some blogs/forums that it's round about now the next set in the modular line gets leaked/teased/revealed and I was wondering what Lego GAF wanted? I see a popular request is a hospital and, whilst I would no doubt love the interior, I have a hard time picturing a hospital in the modular lineup.
Will totally not complain if it happens though!

I would really like a Post Office with a stationary shop at the front and a counter, sorting office in the back and a room for parcel loading bay and mail van.

I want a police station, a corner building with diagonal stairs coming down with globe lights, jail on one side with break-out action, suspect line up room inside, evidence/investigation section. Though with the detective office just come out I'd say they'd go for something else. A school would be nice

Koren

I want a police station, a corner building with diagonal stairs coming down with globe lights, jail on one side with break-out action, suspect line up room inside, evidence/investigation section. Though with the detective office just come out I'd say they'd go for something else. A school would be nice
Would like your police set, but it would be 2019 at earliest with current "rules"

teeny

Oh yeah, I love the sound of that, especially the line up room. It would go really well with the Detective Office as well, though I suppose they are too similar. A school would also be interesting, I imagine a lot of cool interior details in the classroom and teacher's lounge, and a playground out back.

Would like your police set, but it would be 2019 at earliest with current "rules"

What rules are you referring to?

Osahi

I would love something unexpected, like a travel agency or a car dealer, maybe a toy shop?

I would also love them to do a riverside building with a bridge. (Or a building that spans a river. Just to break up the street for once.

Whatever they do, day one it is

I need some advice!

My one time a year where I can justify a splurge LEGO set is coming up, so I need some input on which one to get!

-Technic Porsche
-Ghostbusters HQ
-Disney Castle
-Big Ben

So my price range is ~350, but if you have a combination of sets for that price that you think will be a better building experience, let me know!

For big sets, I already have
-Tower Bridge
-Sydney Opera House
-Super Star Destroyer
-Sea Cow

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Id love an actual modular detailed Police Station but for the new modular I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it was a remake/'updated' Cafe Corner.

TLG has a track record of dicking over collectors and scalpers with updates minifigs et al and with the recent Death Star and the Winter Toy Shop just last year it seems more plausible than before?

mclem

So I figure from some blogs/forums that it's round about now the next set in the modular line gets leaked/teased/revealed and I was wondering what Lego GAF wanted? I see a popular request is a hospital and, whilst I would no doubt love the interior, I have a hard time picturing a hospital in the modular lineup.
Will totally not complain if it happens though!

I would really like a Post Office with a stationary shop at the front and a counter, sorting office in the back and a room for parcel loading bay and mail van.

I've been thinking that with the persistent rumour/suggestion of a hospital, I'd think that'd need a bigger plot than the usual modular - I wonder if they'd be open to a double-width one?

I thought a gym might have potential. Chance for some fun interior detail there.

wetwired

I need some advice!

My one time a year where I can justify a splurge LEGO set is coming up, so I need some input on which one to get!

-Technic Porsche
-Ghostbusters HQ
-Disney Castle
-Big Ben

So my price range is ~350, but if you have a combination of sets for that price that you think will be a better building experience, let me know!

-Tower Bridge
-Sydney Opera House
-Super Star Destroyer
-Sea Cow

Ghostbusters HQ or Disney Castle, But that's just because I don't like non-minifig scale sets. Porsche is Technic which I don't get into and Big Ben isn't minifig scale, so that rules that out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I spent some more time on the park last night, put the modulars either side to see how it fits, still very much WIP so any feedback is welcome

What I think I need to start doing now is start setting up the "stories" like modulars do, like the couple getting engaged in the Parisian restaurant (I thought I could have them getting married in the pergola in the park) Perhaps a businessman reading a paper. A kid on the swing (which I haven't added yet under the tree)

I thought I might move the chair at the back to the right hand side and put a giant chess board in front of it. Though then I need something to put at the back where the bench was, perhaps a bird bath?

Absolutely fantastic! I was very skeptical that you'd be able to pull it off without it seeming overly busy and cramped, but you did a fantastic job!

With that said, the version you posted after this one (with the phone booth and the chess board) is starting to become overly busy and cramped, in my opinion. Not that it doesn't have some fantastic ideas as well, but there's just a bit too much going on in too small of a space.

I'm quite fond of the wooden fence, it was kind of the intent to me more urban and not entirely pristine, though I'm happy to hear other peoples opinions on it.

I think I'll ditch the phone booth in favour of something else. I feel like it's blocking the view too much of the park

I'm definitely a huge fan of that wooden fence. Like Phon said, it's one of the highlights. It gives the park a ton of character.

Also, agreed regarding the phone booth.

teeny

I would love something unexpected, like a travel agency or a car dealer, maybe a toy shop?

I would also love them to do a riverside building with a bridge. (Or a building that spans a river. Just to break up the street for once.

Whatever they do, day one it is

I would be really interested in a modular that incorporates a bridge/river but it would probably play havoc with people's setups if they have added roads. I wonder how it would work...

Id love an actual modular detailed Police Station but for the new modular I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it was a remake/'updated' Cafe Corner.

TLG has a track record of dicking over collectors and scalpers with updates minifigs et al and with the recent Death Star and the Winter Toy Shop just last year it seems more plausible than before?

Whilst I don't own the Cafe Corner and would likely get it if they remade it, I kind of hope they don't go down this route - if you are a builder that only pics up a few lines and the modulars are one of them... well, that would be incredibly disappointing. The criticism has been fairly loud from Star Wars fans.

I've been thinking that with the persistent rumour/suggestion of a hospital, I'd think that'd need a bigger plot than the usual modular - I wonder if they'd be open to a double-width one?

I thought a gym might have potential. Chance for some fun interior detail there.

There have been a lot of big sets recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did give a hospital a wider footprint than the usual modulars. Either that, or shrink it down to a doctor's surgery or something like that? A gym is an excellent idea, lots of humour potential :p

Next year is the 10th anniversary of the modular buildings, so a remake of Café Corner probably isn't out of the question. Wasn't hospital the rumour, though?

I saw a MOC of a modular LEGO Store which looked pretty cool, that'd be a fun idea for an anniversary modular as well.

Personally I'd like to see something kinda oriental in style. That'd be cool. We've recently had a French themed set, and the American themed set, so something that wouldn't look out of place in a dark and dingy Hong Kong back-street would be ace. Maybe a food-place. There would be lots of interesting Ninjago pieces it could use.

I need some advice!

-Technic Porsche
-Ghostbusters HQ
-Disney Castle
-Big Ben

-Tower Bridge
-Sydney Opera House
-Super Star Destroyer
-Sea Cow
Disney Castle.

Cafe corner 2.0 could be a little bit fresher than toy shop or star wars repeats given that the first one had no interior builds.

I'd love to see a hillside modular. I guess i should mock one up in LDD and see if i could make it.

TheFuzz

Next year is the 10th anniversary of the modular buildings, so a remake of Café Corner probably isn't out of the question. Wasn't hospital the rumour, though?

I saw a MOC of a modular LEGO Store which looked pretty cool, that'd be a fun idea for an anniversary modular as well.

Personally I'd like to see something kinda oriental in style. That'd be cool. We've recently had a French themed set, and the American themed set, so something that wouldn't look out of place in a dark and dingy Hong Kong back-street would be ace. Maybe a food-place. There would be lots of interesting Ninjago pieces it could use.

Palace Cinema is basically the Chinese Theatre, so that fits the bill.

Personally, if we don't get a hospital I would like something really different like neon-modern looking building, like something from downtown Tokyo. Id bet on a hospital or police station, though.

Koren

What rules are you referring to?

Not really a "rule", but with the exception of the special case of Market Street, we get 2 normal buildings between each corner one.

Though anything can happen, obviously...

I wonder, whether a cafe corner with current modular quality/content would be more expensive than previous entries...

I'd like to know, though, because I have begun planning BL-ing a variation on CC.

3N16MA

Banned
DS remake, Winter Village re-release, Revan re-release. TLG may be setting up to perhaps reintroduce some older retired sets.

As mentioned above I can see some of the older modulars being brought back with updated interiors. Or perhaps new buildings that fit the same purpose (new cafe, department store).

teeny

Not really a "rule", but with the exception of the special case of Market Street, we get 2 normal buildings between each corner one.

Though anything can happen, obviously...

I wonder, whether a cafe corner with current modular quality/content would be more expensive than previous entries...

I'd like to know, though, because I have begun planning BL-ing a variation on CC.

Ah I see, gotcha. Though I always expect Lego to buck my expectations, for better or worse.

And bless you ghostmind :)

Need more SW! Not sure about that Phantom... I'll probably get Yoda's ship for the minifigs and beams depending on the price.

Cafe corner 2.0 could be a little bit fresher than toy shop or star wars repeats given that the first one had no interior builds.

I'd love to see a hillside modular. I guess i should mock one up in LDD and see if i could make it.

That's a really good point, I wasn't thinking about the interiors at all. Those have gotten superb, they're my favourite part of the sets.

iosefe

i got to build K-2so and Jyn the other day.

they've gotten good at keeping the techinic and mechanisms iinside, Jyn is well designed and covers most of the bits. the Rifle scope is the trigger like i thought

now k-2so is something else. he is built wholesale, that torso is all technic and the shins are a few parts put together. and you build in the nice Rock-em Sock-em Robots functionality , press the thing on his back in to close his arms in, or swing left and right for punches

so nice

i got to build K-2so and Jyn the other day.

they've gotten good at keeping the techinic and mechanisms iinside, Jyn is well designed and covers most of the bits. the Rifle scope is the trigger like i thought

now k-2so is something else. he is built wholesale, that torso is all technic and the shins are a few parts put together. and you build in the nice Rock-em Sock-em Robots functionality , press the thing on his back in to close his arms in, or swing left and right for punches

so nice

Man the more I hear about K-2SO the more he seems to be grevious tier. Maybe better. Wasn't aware of that action function, sounds cool. Do his arms flop around a lot though? Cant wait to get him lol

iosefe

Man the more I hear about K-2SO the more he seems to be grevious tier. Maybe better. Wasn't aware of that action function, sounds cool. Do his arms flop around a lot though? Cant wait to get him lol

i don't recall them being floppy. everything is posable as you'd expect. i can find out tonight

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need some advice!

-Technic Porsche
-Ghostbusters HQ
-Disney Castle
-Big Ben

-Tower Bridge
-Sydney Opera House
-Super Star Destroyer
-Sea Cow

Big Ben would go well with tower bridge, but the buildnlooks perhaps even more repetitive than TB, plus I'd feel the need to buy two and use the second one to mod it to add the second tower by the river - it's too skinny

Osahi

Aww. I'd hoped we would get the Yoda ship from Revenge of the Sith.

Ah well, I'm going Rogue (one) the next few months anyway.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll definitely get all 3 of those sets, but I'd really prefer a Yoda's hut to a Yoda's shuttle...

Also come on LEGO. I am going to mention it every release cycle until it finally happens: GIVE US A NEW LANDO! Not the stupid Skiff Guard version, either a Cloud City or General version. Or hell, even a Rebels version is better than nothing.

The last non-Skiff Guard version was 2009 (RotJ General Lando.) By 2017 it will have been over 7 years since we got an updated Lando.

They haven't given us a Cloud City Lando since 2003!!!

How is this in any way defensible when he is such a major character in the series?

Think of it this way... LEGO has given us more set releases which contain Ackbar than that which contain Lando (including the Sail Barge version), even though Lando is actually a major character. Shameful.

teeny

Yeah, that dinosaur is nice. Will look great rampaging along my street. The creator sets are easily my favourite, they're consistently fantastic.

Ponn

Banned
I'm hearing that the castle is way out of stock and we might not see more for a bit.

:( Another Tumbler situation. I really was hoping it would be up for backorder in Oct. for double VIP. Maybe some hope for Nov. double vip.

Thanks for pics Ghostmind. So we finally kinda get a JL Hall of Justice but its a high school with mini dolls, hrrm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom