• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Creator set calling to me is the dinosaur.

Are those Teletubbies in the Elves sets? I'm sure they'll look more like cute goblins when they have printing.

I like the Supergirl Minidoll. Can't make out the others. Wonder Woman looks like she's in jeans and t-shirt. I guess missing the printing.

wetwired

Cafe Corner was the second Modular I ever bought, back when it was still on the shelves. I'd be extremely disappointed if they made a re-release, even with changes. Probably even more so if they changed it slightly. Not because it will wreck resale value of the original or anything because I don't care about that, but because it means I don't get a new original design this year.

It'd be even more frustrating if they changed it slightly as well because then I'd feel my original one was inferior and I'd feel the need to upgrade to the new one as a completionist.

iosefe

Man the more I hear about K-2SO the more he seems to be grevious tier. Maybe better. Wasn't aware of that action function, sounds cool. Do his arms flop around a lot though? Cant wait to get him lol

i don't recall them being floppy. everything is posable as you'd expect. i can find out tonight
Okay, by nature of his build, K-2 has a lateral wobble. Likely easy to stabilize if you want to remove the action feature

Ghostmind dropping bombs.

Ahem. I believe this is what you meant...

hqdefault.jpg

Hmmm. Elves looks relatively dull. I only spot the (human?) goblin king on that "undead" dragon, and Sophie Jones as new characters.

DC school looks like a great parts pack.

The Creator townhouse is great, and I see the Friends curled pillar thingie there in LBG.

Elsa castle 2.0 has the snowman guardian this time around! Moana's set looks decent, might be worth getting for parts and the figures.

willp2003

The creator T-Rex/dinosaur looks the pick of the bunch. Star Wars stuff look disappointing once again. Let's hope the UCS snowspeeder will be good.

Koren

Uh oh...Am I running out of time to buy the older modulates? I only have Pet Shop.
With Lego, that's everyone's guess...

You have the one that has been available the longest time. Palace Cinema is also really old, so you might want to jump on it if you want it.

Parisian Restaurant could be retired... his lifespan currently is about the same as Cafe Corner, Green Grocer or Town Hall was. If Town Hall was retired because orange was an uncommon color, olive green could do the same for Parisian Restaurant.

You may want to keep an eye on this one, it's really a great build.

Brick Bank should be safe, Detective office probably too... The others are already retired.

If you can afford it, just get all the modulars you can when double VIP starts. It's a very rare occurance that they're available lower than RRP, so even if they don't retire soon they're only ever going to get more expensive - there's no point waiting basically.

namtab37

Neo Member
Does anyone here buy a complete box of collectable minifigures? If so, where do you get them? I want to get a box of the Batman movie figure. Getting a box feels like the right thing to do having a son and 5 nephews.

Boogiepop

For what it's worth, I definitely would like to see the old modulars come back around in some form, especially since they seem to be particularly ridiculous on the second-hand market. Ideally in my mind they'd shift to putting out both a new modular and a revival of an old one each year, though I guess I know nothing of how that may be an issue to try to squeeze in in terms of supply line/shelf space issues. And I suppose even if they could manage that, you'd still have people upset about a re-issue taking up space where some other set could've potentially come out. But yeah, I really would love that as someone who only just got into the modulars, and it feels like a sensible move to me. Like, do something like tweak the colors, add/subtract here and there, and whatever else in order to make it a distinct enough product to limit how much you piss off the collectors/second-hand market, but it's something I really would love to see.

Like, do something like tweak the colors, add/subtract here and there, and whatever else in order to make it a distinct enough product to limit how much you piss off the collectors/second-hand market, but it's something I really would love to see.

I don't think LEGO should really be doing anything special to protect the second-hand market. I mean, why would they? They're not making any money from people re-selling sets at 500% above RRP so why would they have any need for that market to be around?

As someone who's spent quite a lot of money on older modulars I'd obviously feel a bit silly if they re-released them at £120, but that's my own fault for being crazy.

I haven't bought Lego in decades. Are all the spaceships from Star Wars now? I liked M-Tron and Space Police sets when I was a kid.
The most recent non-Star Wars space theme was Galaxy Squad and it was awesome.

City just did a "space" subtheme too, with a couple realistic NASA-esque ships.

For what it's worth, I definitely would like to see the old modulars come back around in some form, especially since they seem to be particularly ridiculous on the second-hand market. Ideally in my mind they'd shift to putting out both a new modular and a revival of an old one each year, though I guess I know nothing of how that may be an issue to try to squeeze in in terms of supply line/shelf space issues. And I suppose even if they could manage that, you'd still have people upset about a re-issue taking up space where some other set could've potentially come out. But yeah, I really would love that as someone who only just got into the modulars, and it feels like a sensible move to me. Like, do something like tweak the colors, add/subtract here and there, and whatever else in order to make it a distinct enough product to limit how much you piss off the collectors/second-hand market, but it's something I really would love to see.

I don't think LEGO should really be doing anything special to protect the second-hand market. I mean, why would they? They're not making any money from people re-selling sets at 500% above RRP so why would they have any need for that market to be around?

As someone who's spent quite a lot of money on older modulars I'd obviously feel a bit silly if they re-released them at £120, but that's my own fault for being crazy.

Unlikely LEGO will repeat LEGO modulars any time soon. If there was any possibility they probably would wait until they were done with the modular line and wait a few years.

LEGO is not into reissuing past sets (outside of Star Wars) except on rare occasions. The Toy Shop reissue was a surprise to me.

Part of the reason is LEGO also makes the sets to sell. In the past LEGO tried to do re-releases of old sets which I've read wasn't very successful.

LEGO Legends
http://brickset.com/sets/list-4672

While there is a lot of enthusiasm and interest in re-releases of nostalgic sets, it doesn't necessarily translate into great sales. AFOLs make a tiny percent (single digits I've read some places) of actual LEGO sales. If a set uses a lot of common parts in current production, it's possible LEGO could make a small run with little costs.

I concur that LEGO doesn't really care about the secondary market. LEGO does care though on people buying there sets. If it is known that popular older sets will be re-released regularly it could have a negative effect that people won't run out to buy sets in current release thinking they could buy it in the future. The standard collector practices fall in place.

In general there is a greater buzz and buying interest on new stuff.

there's no way to guess which old modulars are dying any more, right? i bought palace cinema and pet shop recently, and I think those are the 2 oldest, but iirc town hall was newer than pet shop yet died first, so i guess i'm just stuck buying older ones as fast as my lego budget permits.

It's PR->DO->BB out of the other 3 extant ones, right?

I haven't bought Lego in decades. Are all the spaceships from Star Wars now? I liked M-Tron and Space Police sets when I was a kid.

they do other space or scifi themes sometimes, when they have a decent idea. somebody posted galaxy squad, there was a thing before that which had a 1950s retro scifi flying saucers vs human defenders thing going on. right now the nexo knights thing is the closest to an original scifi theme with its vaguely-warhammer techno-fantasy deal.

Galaxy Squad is so good. All the good guy vehicles are transformers that split into at least two smaller vehicles. It wasn't very popular though and it only just retired so you can probably find a good amount of them for near MSRP. Same with Alien Conquest, strangely. Amazon still has them for really low prices.

The GOAT Galaxy Squad sets are the Hive Crawler for the bad guys, and the Swarm Interceptor for the good guys. When I realized the cockpit of the Swarm Interceptor was "gyroscopic" so it's always level no matter what the body/wings are doing I just about crapped my pants and took it for several loops around the house. Such a badass ship.

TheFuzz

Dammit Ghostmind... Why? WHY?!??!

I told myself I didn't need anything else sci-fi and had done a great job until now. I bought the Eradicator Mech at 50% off and loved the set. Need to grab the others.

Also, I vote the next OT be titled "Ghostmind Appreciation Thread."

Dammit Ghostmind... Why? WHY?!??!

I told myself I didn't need anything else sci-fi and had done a great job until now. I bought the Eradicator Mech at 50% off and loved the set. Need to grab the others.

Also, I vote the next OT be titled "Ghostmind Appreciation Thread."
Hive Crawler bro. Hive Crawler.

Ponn

Banned
I think i'm going to get the Hoth set next week. It's a weak UCS set I know, but I don't own any of the Hoth sets except the most recent Snowspeeder and AT-AT. Go ahead and talk me out of it Lego-GAF
BAHAHAHA

Boogiepop

I mean, I'm thinking more from the mind of the way I've seen other companies deal with such things, in that you'll often see some minor tweaks for the sake of the collector market, more to limit the number of fans they piss off by tanking the worth of something, and to also give the new thing a separate value by being distinct. Like, IIRC Magic cards have done some things with tweaking the borders or whatever for reissues. So I'd say it's more that it's just something that's relatively easy that limits how much they upset a certain type of customer, and perhaps tempting repeat sales, rather than trying to maintain the second-hand market or anything.
Unlikely LEGO will repeat LEGO modulars any time soon. If there was any possibility they probably would wait until they were done with the modular line and wait a few years.

LEGO is not into reissuing past sets (outside of Star Wars) except on rare occasions. The Toy Shop reissue was a surprise to me.

Part of the reason is LEGO also makes the sets to sell. In the past LEGO tried to do re-releases of old sets which I've read wasn't very successful.

LEGO Legends
http://brickset.com/sets/list-4672

While there is a lot of enthusiasm and interest in re-releases of nostalgic sets, it doesn't necessarily translate into great sales. AFOLs make a tiny percent (single digits I've read some places) of actual LEGO sales. If a set uses a lot of common parts in current production, it's possible LEGO could make a small run with little costs.

I concur that LEGO doesn't really care about the secondary market. LEGO does care though on people buying there sets. If it is known that popular older sets will be re-released regularly it could have a negative effect that people won't run out to buy sets in current release thinking they could buy it in the future. The standard collector practices fall in place.

In general there is a greater buzz and buying interest on new stuff.
Yeah, it probably is a somewhat hopeless dream on my part, perhaps spurred on by thoughts of admittedly very different markets. Still, the way the modulars so very distinctly situate themselves around being a "collector's item" and the crazy costs they seem to demand after going OOP gives me some slight hope that maybe they'll figure it's worth giving reissues of them a shot some time down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom