• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking awesome :) only thing I'm not sure about is the fence at the back. It's a nice fence, but it kinda looks run-down and makes the park feel a bit dilapidated. The front wall and entrance is so grand, I think the back would be better if it was equally as grand. It kinda brings down the value of the buildings on either side as it is now.

Does it only have to be a single plate? I know the modulars are always a single base plate, but the piece count must be a lot lower than a modular? Maybe two plates would give the design room to breathe? I only ask becuause our park is two plates wide :p Not as fancy as yours tho, and still a work in progress...

GFev00x.jpg

Awwww, that hamburger kiosk!

Ponn

Banned
I think I'm done for the month...
This is the most Lego I've ever had.
I've built the carnage set, but nothing else, and I have no idea which to do next. Any suggestions?

The Scooby sets are great builds for Halloween. Might even convince you to get the Scooby Mansion set, all would look good sitting out for Halloween. Wall-E is such a great set, you are going to enjoy that one.

Sparse

The Scooby sets are great builds for Halloween. Might even convince you to get the Scooby Mansion set, all would look good sitting out for Halloween. Wall-E is such a great set, you are going to enjoy that one.
I've been thinking of ordering the mansion for that reason. I missed monster fighters, with the exception of the swamp monster, so this feels like catching up. Plus it'd be nice to have the whole gang...

I talk myself out of buying a second one every time it shows up on awd. No reason not to buy one on sale if you're at all interested in doing Halloween or horror themed builds.

The only disappointment is that there really isn't a lot of purple as you might think from looking at pictures. Those pieces are used as accents

wetwired

I'm quite fond of the wooden fence, it was kind of the intent to me more urban and not entirely pristine, though I'm happy to hear other peoples opinions on it.

I think I'll ditch the phone booth in favour of something else. I feel like it's blocking the view too much of the park

I'm quite fond of the wooden fence, it was kind of the intent to me more urban and not entirely pristine, though I'm happy to hear other peoples opinions on it.

I think I'll ditch the phone booth in favour of something else. I feel like it's blocking the view too much of the park
The fence is killer. Definitely one of the highlights.

Looking awesome :) only thing I'm not sure about is the fence at the back. It's a nice fence, but it kinda looks run-down and makes the park feel a bit dilapidated. The front wall and entrance is so grand, I think the back would be better if it was equally as grand. It kinda brings down the value of the buildings on either side as it is now.

Does it only have to be a single plate? I know the modulars are always a single base plate, but the piece count must be a lot lower than a modular? Maybe two plates would give the design room to breathe? I only ask becuause our park is two plates wide :p Not as fancy as yours tho, and still a work in progress...

GFev00x.jpg

It looks like you also raised your sidewalk/modular buildings higher than the street plates right? I remember there being a discussion in here a couple weeks back about just that. If so, which method did you chose to do this with?

edit: Looking at it again, maybe you didn't hmmm it's hard to tell from the pic.

ninge

It looks like you also raised your sidewalk/modular buildings higher than the street plates right? I remember there being a discussion in here a couple weeks back about just that. If so, which method did you chose to do this with?

edit: Looking at it again, maybe you didn't hmmm it's hard to tell from the pic.

They are on the same level, we just extended the pavement forward :)

teeny

Dunno if this was posted already but this skyscraper is amazing. Not that interesting from outside besides it's immense size, but check out the insides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzULFj7ypqY

Sounds like he said he's taking it apart after the convention. That's something. If I made this i'd keep it till I died.

That is amazing! Quite a clever way of making the floors as I imagine a skyscraper of this kind would be a pain to build in a modular-like way.

I love the surrounding street, too :)

Dunno if this was posted already but this skyscraper is amazing. Not that interesting from outside besides it's immense size, but check out the insides.

Sounds like he said he's taking it apart after the convention. That's something. If I made this i'd keep it till I died.
The way it is modular is awesome. Same with the power functions.

And it isn't long for this world either.

If I were to go into the lego store with 30 minutes to closing and buy a death star on September 29(free raven with purchase) would they give me all the remaining figures?
I shall call the day before to see what 3 lego stores say

I think it'd be fair to get all the remaining figures if I am dropping $500 >:)

If I were to go into the lego store with 30 minutes to closing and buy a death star on September 29(free raven with purchase) would they give me all the remaining figures?
I shall call the day before to see what 3 lego stores say

I think it'd be fair to get all the remaining figures if I am dropping $500 >:)

Unlikely I think. They may throw in 1 or 2 more, but in my experience they just extend the promo until stock is gone.

Koren

Just bring an analytical scale to the store, different minifigures should have a difference in weight that can be measured with precise instruments.
That's actually an idea I'd like to try...

But it's not easy. You'll want at least 0.1g precision for 50-100g objects. You're looking into not-that-cheap scales (probably more expensive that buying the series off BL ^_^), and a lot of those I know require a power outlet. And there's still can be figure that share the same weight.

The fact that he apparently craggled everything only makes me lose a TINY amount of respect for the guy ;)

What an amazing idea though. Loving everything about this. Why can't I come up with stuff like this lol?

Eh, i wouldn't nearly have enough bricks to realize something like this anyway i suppose...

3N16MA

Banned
The fact that he apparently craggled everything only makes me lose a TINY amount of respect for the guy ;)

What an amazing idea though. Loving everything about this. Why can't I come up with stuff like this lol?

Eh, i wouldn't nearly have enough bricks to realize something like this anyway i suppose...

I have come up with plenty of stuff in my head but nothing built. Maybe one day I will put more planning into it and build something. I'm sure actually planning and figuring out how to build it is the more difficult but fun part.

I may have a bunch more bricks pretty soon. Going to go checkout some sets and loose bricks that my sisters friend is selling. He already gave away some smaller sets and bricks to my niece.

wetwired

wetwired, would you possibly share the ldd files so I can do a decent render of the thing? It looks gorgeous.

I spent last night trying to get my ldd file into leocad (which uses Ldraw parts library) but it comes in with a ton of pieces missing, is this something you have experience in?

Did he say he craggled? I was only kinda half listening cuz I had music on and honestly the interviewer's voice was irritating. Thought he said he was going to take it apart in a couple of days and let the bricks be what they were meant for and be used to build other things.

Shoots bananas

What's the overall quality of those Lepin sets? The only exposure I have with them is one Duplo-ish Cars set my father-in-law got for our son. While the little one still loved it, it seemed kind of shitty to me and his grandpa was bummed out because he thought he was buying a real Duplo set.

Was kind of curious about the quality of their LEGO stuff when I saw a cheap Ghostbusters HQ on Bonanza.

robochimp

What's the overall quality of those Lepin sets? The only exposure I have with them is one Duplo-ish Cars set my father-in-law got for our son. While the little one still loved it, it seemed kind of shitty to me and his grandpa was bummed out because he thought he was buying a real Duplo set.

Was kind of curious about the quality of their LEGO stuff when I saw a cheap Ghostbusters HQ on Bonanza.

I did the Lepin Super Star Destroyer a few weeks ago(I ordered it after the discussion here) I had two misshapen pieces, one of the minifig's legs didn't fit tightly and the other was a 1x2 with the two prongs sticking out of it, one prong was shorter than the other. Otherwise everything else was fine.

Which isn't bad out of 3100 pieces.

The instructions are universally awful, the clear pieces are usually cloudy, and once in awhile the pieces can have grease/oil from the molds still on them.

All of these are easily rectified.

Ponn

Banned
So looking at that calendar Lego is forcing like 4 separate purchases on us the next couple months to get all the freebies. And heaven help you if you are going to go for those TRU Bricktober fig sets. That time of season I guess.

I just remembered, have we heard anything on a new Target BF fig cube this year? I'm still waiting on a Saturn Girl fig.

Markus

Word on the Brickpicker Costco Canada thread is that the Bucket Wheel Excavator was available for C$230 (MSRP C$330) and the Claas for C$170 (MSRP C$230). Not clear if this was online or in-store.

teeny

So I figure from some blogs/forums that it's round about now the next set in the modular line gets leaked/teased/revealed and I was wondering what Lego GAF wanted? I see a popular request is a hospital and, whilst I would no doubt love the interior, I have a hard time picturing a hospital in the modular lineup.
Will totally not complain if it happens though!

I would really like a Post Office with a stationary shop at the front and a counter, sorting office in the back and a room for parcel loading bay and mail van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom