• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#ReprintCloudCity Lego set

I'll pick up that RIP boba fett set 😎
I wanna see the UCS snowspeeder though, that'll be amazing, don't let me down Lego

Ryuuroden

That is a big expansion.

New place or are you just somehow finding a way to expand your current space?

New place, actually a temporary place until I can build a final place. 2000 sq foot home plus 1200 sq foot semi finished basement for the next year maybe a little more. The problem with self employment is the first 2 years your in business you cannot get a mortgage loan or any loan for that matter. My girlfriend and I are finally moving in together (although she stays at my place 75% of the time already) and since the baby is almost two years old I don't think its right that she does not have her own room. I can finally apply for a loan after taxes this year but after that I still will have to find land, build, and everything else and that's going to take time so I am just moving now. Sucks that I will move again shortly after that but at least its in the same city and a bunch of stuff that's being packed right now like the anime figures will not be unpacked till the final house. The Lego however will get the full unpack because it is actually pretty compartmentalized so that's not so much a pain. I can't wait to have a larger space to work in. It is way cramped right now.

That is a big expansion.

New place or are you just somehow finding a way to expand your current space?

Now only if that was a UCS Y-Wing.
Oh, I want a new UCS Y-Wing.

#ReprintCloudCity Lego set

Pfft...
Cloud City needs to get the UCS treatment.
This man knows what's up. Been beating the UCS Cloud City drum for years. The only worthy successor to Best Star.
New place, actually a temporary place until I can build a final place. 2000 sq foot home plus 1200 sq foot semi finished basement for the next year maybe a little more. The problem with self employment is the first 2 years your in business you cannot get a mortgage loan or any loan for that matter. My girlfriend and I are finally moving in together (although she stays at my place 75% of the time already) and since the baby is almost two years old I don't think its right that she does not have her own room. I can finally apply for a loan after taxes this year but after that I still will have to find land, build, and everything else and that's going to take time so I am just moving now. Sucks that I will move again shortly after that but at least its in the same city and a bunch of stuff that's being packed right now like the anime figures will not be unpacked till the final house. The Lego however will get the full unpack because it is actually pretty compartmentalized so that's not so much a pain. I can't wait to have a larger space to work in. It is way cramped right now.
Congrats on new place.
Why haven't you proposed yet?
All that extra space means you need to build the flooding of Isengard. Lots of Ents and the broken dam.

Kind of into getting a sand speeder. Don't need another Y-Wing. Anyone figure out what that playset with the stormtroopers is? Looks like Han maybe?

ghostmind

TRU Canada Bricktober promos:

Bricktober

Bring in your kids to celebrate Bricktober, for exclusive LEGO® gifts all month long!

FREE* LEGO® Minifigure Collection when you spend $75 or more (before taxes) each week on ANY LEGO® Building Sets.
September 30th – October 8th: LEGO® Musicians
October 7th – 13th: LEGO® Warriors
October 14th – 20th: LEGO® Athletes
October 21st – 27th: LEGO® Cops & Robbers

FREE* LEGO® Minifigure Build when you spend $25 or more (before taxes) each week on ANY LEGO® Building Sets.
September 30th – LEGO® Star Wars™ First Order Star Destroyer
October 7th – 13th: LEGO® Spider-Man vs. The Venom Symbiote
October 14th – 20th: LEGO® NEXO Knights™ Minifigure
October 21st 27th: LEGO® Ninjago Minifigure

Osahi

Kind of into getting a sand speeder. Don't need another Y-Wing. Anyone figure out what that playset with the stormtroopers is? Looks like Han maybe?

Seems like a Rogue One set on the tropical planet.

Y-Wing is a rebels version, right? Will grab it as it can'y be too expensive. Sarlac looks fun too

wetwired

The new torso from the Series 16 Trick-or-treating devil kit makes for a good Elliot from ET, it replaced my old orange one, it's a bit more accurate now

I can't wait for the dimensions ET to come out so I can upgrade my dodgy home made one.

14455894_10154666461832994_1495106241_o.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you can afford it, just get all the modulars you can when double VIP starts. It's a very rare occurance that they're available lower than RRP, so even if they don't retire soon they're only ever going to get more expensive - there's no point waiting basically.

I plan to go bananas when double VIP starts with modulars and maybe even Big Ben. I cashed in 1000 points for my Simpsons House and am already back up to 600 with the Disney Castle purchase. Gotta get those points!

3N16MA

Banned

Congrats. New place sounds pretty nice for a great LEGO setup.

Went to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago yesterday, where they have a special exhibit going on called Brick by Brick. Kind of incorporating Legos w/ Architecture. They have some pretty fantastic Lego displays up by a Certified Professional. The Golden Gate Bridge was 60 feet long.

At the end they have a giant area filled with the white architecture set where you can create your own designs.

Figured some of you might be interested in seeing some photos of what they have. Runs through February, so get to Chicago.

Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/brick-by-brick/

I trekked to Walmart last night for a closeout Training Jet Transporter. No luck.

Do the Classic boxes ever go on sale or are they so evergreen the price stays the same?

Ponn

Banned
Went to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago yesterday, where they have a special exhibit going on called Brick by Brick. Kind of incorporating Legos w/ Architecture. They have some pretty fantastic Lego displays up by a Certified Professional. The Golden Gate Bridge was 60 feet long.

At the end they have a giant area filled with the white architecture set where you can create your own designs.

Figured some of you might be interested in seeing some photos of what they have. Runs through February, so get to Chicago.

Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/brick-by-brick/

Thanks for the pics, that is some great stuff. I know some people are probably going "Now thats a Disney Castle." And they are not wrong.

Trying to downsize the collection since I'll be having to move into a smaller place is getting a tad tough now that I'm getting to some of the old castle sets (Those old space sets aren't going anywhere). Some of these old Forestmen sets are too good

Trying to downsize the collection since I'll be having to move into a smaller place is getting a tad tough now that I'm getting to some of the old castle sets (Those old space sets aren't going anywhere). Some of these old Forestmen sets are too good

I'm sure some people here will gladly store LEGO for you for free until you have more space.

Markus

Do the Classic boxes ever go on sale or are they so evergreen the price stays the same?

If you can wait till sometime between Black Friday and Xmas, Walmart (online and in-store) may have Creative Tower 10644 (or similar) on special for $40 and comes with 1600 pieces. That was the price here in Canada the last 2 years, not sure what it was in the US stores. They also tend to go pretty quick with re-sellers trying to flip them for $100.

Pretty neat stuff.
/snip

Thanks for the awesome pics! It'll be even more breathtaking if I could see it in person...fucking 60 feet long!! WOW...really appreciate the pics.

TED talk

Hillel Cooperman: Legos for grownups

This is old, but I don't remember watching it. I'm sure it was posted before, but will post it in case anyone else like me missed it. It's really short, not much too it but it does cover the stages many "hardcore" AFOLs go through. Would it be fair to say having a sorting and storage system is the final step?

TED talk

Hillel Cooperman: Legos for grownups

This is old, but I don't remember watching it. I'm sure it was posted before, but will post it in case anyone else like me missed it. It's really short, not much too it but it does cover the stages many "hardcore" AFOLs go through. Would it be fair to say having a sorting and storage system is the final step?
Read the transcript. I thought Ideas set creators did get royalties for their work.

Finally completed my Wizard's tower! This is my biggest MOC so far and with the limited time i have for building these days i am ok with how it ended up. It could be more refined still in places and have a bigger base (which i initially planned) but i figured i don't have the time, patience, or bricks to fully realize my vision right now so this is as good as it gets this time around ;)

fdVx5Rr.jpg

hI6AwdX.jpg

Unfortunately though, the whole thing is super fragile, since i only built it for display, not for playing around. And yes, i know it's not really minifig scale either :p I am glad i got this far without it falling apart!

Read the transcript. I thought Ideas set creators did get royalties for their work.

I didn't catch that part about Ideas. Yes they do get royalties for sales of the sets.

Finally completed my Wizard's tower! This is my biggest MOC so far and with the limited time i have for building these days i am ok with how it ended up. It could be more refined still in places and have a bigger base (which i initially planned) but i figured i don't have the time, patience, or bricks to fully realize my vision right now so this is as good as it gets this time around ;)

fdVx5Rr.jpg

Unfortunately though, the whole thing is super fragile, since i only built it for display, not for playing around. And yes, i know it's not really minifig scale either :p I am glad i got this far without it falling apart!

Looks good. Nice use of SNOT technique with the path.

Don't worry about it being fragile. Many MOCs use weak or "illegal" connections. Also, you can always make updates. Even Official LEGO sets go through several iterations before reaching the final design.

wetwired

Yes they do :)

But I think he's referring to the old LEGO Digital Designer system where you could build something, order the parts and it would arrive at your door, it'd also allow other people to buy your creations

fdVx5Rr.jpg

hI6AwdX.jpg

That is really awesome. So much detail. I assume there isn't an interior, though.

Yes they do :)

But I think he's referring to the old LEGO Digital Designer system where you could build something, order the parts and it would arrive at your door, it'd also allow other people to buy your creations

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. My brain filled it in as Ideas. Thank you.

mclem

This is perhaps tenuous, but the Korean S@H has both SOH and PS labelled as "단종예정", which Google Translate describes as "Discontinued scheduled". Retiring soon?

This is perhaps tenuous, but the Korean S@H has both SOH and PS labelled as "단종예정", which Google Translate describes as "Discontinued scheduled". Retiring soon?

Everyone, buy Pet Shop! You don't want to miss this one. If it wasn't overpriced for some reason, I'd buy another.

That is really awesome. So much detail. I assume there isn't an interior, though.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. My brain filled it in as Ideas. Thank you.

Heh, thanks but no... I initially wanted to make an interior with several floors and a winding staircase inside. It was going to open up Haunted House style too but... the way i did the tower is so flimsy and fragile, there was no way it was going to withstand the pressure of constantly opening it up and closing it again so i ditched the idea alltogether and went for looks/display ONLY after a while ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom