• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not. I've had that monologue in my head all day thanks to this thread.

ermUkmA.gif

Marcos Bessa interview:

https://youtu.be/gG0REkghfpE

I would like to see a modular building from him someday...

I want a modular from him as well. Things like Ewok Village and Disney Castle, as well as his mini builds like furniture and stuff (which I think is his biggest strength), make me think he would kill it with a modular. He excels at the little details in things.

However, Simpson's House and parts of Ghostbusters HQ left me wanting more, so I am still torn on it.

But his work on Disney Castle was too damn strong.

We got in a box of series 9 Mixels at work today, but sadly the computer won't let us sell them until Saturday. Guess I complete my Mixel collection this weekend then.

Marcos Bessa interview:

I would like to see a modular building from him someday...

I want a modular from him as well. Things like Ewok Village and Disney Castle, as well as his mini builds like furniture and stuff (which I think is his biggest strength), make me think he would kill it with a modular. He excels at the little details in things.

He's an interesting designer. I've got half of the sets he's designed and I really do think that he excels at the "smaller things".

The Catwoman & Batman set is probably the best entry-level superhero set ever released IMO-it's an immaculately designed tiny set that achieves so much with a small piece count

The detailing on the Milano and his Quinjets are fantastic. To be honest I think I'm most impressed with that stupid Iron Skull sub set. That thing is solid as a brick and filled with awesome play features.

I only have one of his seven "UCS" sized sets (Simpsons House) and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's a lousy set. It's the reason I didn't follow up with the Kwik-E-Mart....I don't want to be disappointed again. The Helicarrier looks fantastic but I really feel it's overpriced. The Firehouse, while impressive, is often cited for poor design due to the weight of the roof. It really seems like the Ewok Village & Arkham are the only sets he's done that are universally loved.

He does amazing work but I wouldn't put it above someone like Adam Grabowski. His Haunted House is practically a modular unto itself and it would be great to see him get his feet wet in that theme.

Winnie the Pie > Really nice tower... I'd really like to see more about the technique to do those round walls... Is this mostly round bricks hold by 2x1 plates?

It's actually mostly 2x1 bricks and 1x1 round bricks that support each other with the occasional 1x1 plant or 3 1x1 stacked round plates thrown in. It may LOOK stable, but trust me when i say it's not lol. It also only gives the illusion of being totally round, as it's actually pretty elliptical and chaotic to be honest, but there really is no other way if you go for this technique i guess.

LEGO jsut uploaded a few The Freemaker Adventures episodes to their youtube if you haven't caught them

I haven't actually, but then i heard the show sucks :(

The Freemaker Adventures are actually quite fun to watch. Especially with a young kid, I have really enjoyed it so far.

Edit: Never thought I would see the day, but buckled and got Nexo Knights sets. My son has taking a liking to it and now we got the Jestro Lair (which looks cool) and the Fortrex. Also Clays sword vehicle on the way... The cartoon is also really bad (compared to Ninjago), but if he likes it this much, it is fine and I will be happy to built it together.

Rimshot

So I just started getting in to lego again as I've been trying to get some lego juniors sets for my 3 (and a half) year old son. We manage to build them together, but they don't stay intact for a long time when he's playing with them.

He loves trains, so we've gotten quite a lot of brio tracks and trains for him as it has worked well with him when he was smaller (no small pieces to eat or break). But as the xmas holiday is not too far off and I saw the "Lego Creator 10254 Winter Holiday Train" set I thought it might be fun to get it to set the mood and hopefully my son will like playing with it as well in a non destructive manner :) So I ended up picking it up today. Now it is taunting me on the shelf, but I'm trying to hold out until december :)

It does look a bit lonely though with just that set, like something is missing. So I was hoping you all could give me some recommendations on xmas-ish sets that might be worth getting to build up together with / around the train set? :)

So I just started getting in to lego again as I've been trying to get some lego juniors sets for my 3 (and a half) year old son. We manage to build them together, but they don't stay intact for a long time when he's playing with them.

He loves trains, so we've gotten quite a lot of brio tracks and trains for him as it has worked well with him when he was smaller (no small pieces to eat or break). But as the xmas holiday is not too far off and I saw the "Lego Creator 10254 Winter Holiday Train" set I thought it might be fun to get it to set the mood and hopefully my son will like playing with it as well in a non destructive manner :) So I ended up picking it up today. Now it is taunting me on the shelf, but I'm trying to hold out until december :)

It does look a bit lonely though with just that set, like something is missing. So I was hoping you all could give me some recommendations on xmas-ish sets that might be worth getting to build up together with / around the train set? :)

Welcome.

There are currently 2 sets on shelves that will fit your description, Santa's Workshop and Winter Toy Shop. The workshop gets the most love in general, the raindeers are supposed to be amazing. Have it sitting at home waiting for christmas to join the carrousel. If you are looking for a smaller set, the Gingerbread house might do the trick, but you will have to look on eBay or Bricklink for that one. Www.Bricklink.com is like Craigslist / eBay for Lego. If you want more info on holiday sets or sets in general, try www.brickset.com.

Happy hunting!

Rimshot

Welcome.

There are currently 2 sets on shelves that will fit your description, Santa's Workshop and Winter Toy Shop. The workshop gets the most love in general, the raindeers are supposed to be amazing. Have it sitting at home waiting for christmas to join the carrousel. If you are looking for a smaller set, the Gingerbread house might do the trick, but you will have to look on eBay or Bricklink for that one. Www.Bricklink.com is like Craigslist / eBay for Lego. If you want more info on holiday sets or sets in general, try www.brickset.com.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for those suggestions and links :)

The workshop looks like the better set (building looks better & reindeers!), but the toy shop has this awesome looking xmas tree :x Hard to make a choice. Why does all things have to contain different great parts, and why must they all be expensive hehe.

The Freemaker Adventures are actually quite fun to watch. Especially with a young kid, I have really enjoyed it so far.

Edit: Never thought I would see the day, but buckled and got Nexo Knights sets. My son has taking a liking to it and now we got the Jestro Lair (which looks cool) and the Fortrex. Also Clays sword vehicle on the way... The cartoon is also really bad (compared to Ninjago), but if he likes it this much, it is fine and I will be happy to built it together.

You don't mess around. Those are some of the largest Nexo sets. Jestro's lair looks really nice. Fortrex doesn't do it for me, but I know me as a kid would have loved it.

You are right about the show not being as good as Ninjago. It feels like it is aimed at a slightly younger audience range.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just a general query, are people still seeing Disney minifigs in the wild or not?

I've had trouble with availability from Day 1 (Scotland) but I thought with the release of the Castle TLG might've continued production a lot longer, but apparently not. By comparison, a lot of stores still to be swimming in Simpsons S2 figs.

Just a little strange that Lego would underestimate demand this badly I think?

Koren

Just a general query, are people still seeing Disney minifigs in the wild or not?
I've seen them longer than most, but I haven't seen them for several weeks now.

I'm surprised that they haven't produced more... but I doubt the castle will change much, since it's mostly a premium product.

I've had trouble with availability from Day 1 (Scotland) but I thought with the release of the Castle TLG might've continued production a lot longer, but apparently not. By comparison, a lot of stores still to be swimming in Simpsons S2 figs.

U.S. LEGO S@H shows the Disney cmfs as temporarily out of stock. Seeing that it's been months, I believe they planned another production run. The problem is all factories are at full capacity.
I do think LEGO underestimated, but I wonder if numbers also were constrained due to production limitations.

EDIT: BTW, the new LEGO website blows Mega Bloks. First time checking it on my phone and the link to Minifigures theme doesn't even work. I had to do a search.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
haha nice, I couldn't figure out how to get the horn and roof on properly myself. Being a bit larger scale helps.

What part is your large dome from?

It's half of one of the fillable LEGO Xmas baubles.

12708pb01.jpg

I'd always wanted to make a MOC with this but never knew what. Then I saw the Hot Wheels version of The Homer and realised what needed to be done :)

EDIT: BTW, the new LEGO website blows Mega Bloks. First time checking it on my phone and the link to Minifigures theme doesn't even work. I had to do a search.

It is even worse then the old one. As someone in online marketing I can tell you 'someone' got sold a concept that looked great on paper (print out a screenshot and it will look amazing), but was never 'well' tested for usuability or even aimed at it. The new website design is not made for being a webshop.

None in stores here in the Netherlands or Germany left, as far as I have seen. Series 16 just came out over here (beginning of September), so could come when this series is winding down a bit more. Series 17 hasn't been leaked / announced got this year, right? Might be that are just giving S16 some breathing space and then hit hard with the Disney series around the holidays.

You don't mess around. Those are some of the largest Nexo sets. Jestro's lair looks really nice. Fortrex doesn't do it for me, but I know me as a kid would have loved it.

You are right about the show not being as good as Ninjago. It feels like it is aimed at a slightly younger audience range.

Those sets had a nice promotion and since he was really into the show... The lair looked quite impressive in the Lego store a while back (nice footprint as well). It was either this or those overpriced Ultimate sets, the difference for the whole gang was 'only' 120 euro. So this seemed like the logical choice.

The Fortrex is also not something I enjoy looking at either, but at the price se paid it is fine. It was also the set he wanted for his birthday, so we now have a pretty cool gift for him.

The show is indeed for a younger audience, but does not really teach a lot of good things. I really don't mind him seeing some 'violence', but this show simplifies it to a degree that it is a bit mind numbing... Did really like the Ninja Turtles joke in season two btw.

Thanks for those suggestions and links :)

The workshop looks like the better set (building looks better & reindeers!), but the toy shop has this awesome looking xmas tree :x Hard to make a choice. Why does all things have to contain different great parts, and why must they all be expensive hehe.

Totally forgot about 3 other cheaper options: the advent calenders, in the themes City, Star Wars and Friends. The City one will probably make the most sense and is quite affordable (20 euro compared to the 32 euro of the Star Wars one). Over here the one of last year is still available as well in some online shops, so you can have a look which one fits your purpose best. They do not mention a year on the box.

ghostmind

According to LEGO Ideas reps at Skærbæk Fan Weekend, the Apollo 11 Saturn V will be "huge", "more than a metre in length", and "easily the biggest Ideas set so far."

ghostmind

The original Ideas pitch:

The whole Lego rocket is about 1 meter/130 studs high (aprox. 1:110 scale), has 1179 bricks and lots of features:

• removable 1st rocket-stage with the main rocket engine
  • removable 2nd rocket-stage with rocket engine
  • removable 3rd rocket-stage with the Apollo spacecraft
  • Apollo spacecraft with the "Eagle" Lunar Lander and the Lunar Orbiter
  • the rescue rocket on top of the whole spacecraft
  • two minifigure astronauts on the Moon for displaying

xYgccBz.jpg

N3WlnkR.jpg

If the claims at the event are not exaggerations, then the official set will retain similar dimensions to the pitch.

teeny

According to LEGO Ideas reps at Skærbæk Fan Weekend, the Apollo 11 Saturn V will be "huge", "more than a metre in length", and "easily the biggest Ideas set so far."

Blimey! I wonder how much that thing's going to cost! Will definitely be tempted :p

Looking forward to tomorrow. Going to pick up the calendar and something from the Rogue One sets. Maybe AT-ST, maybe the Striker to add to my TIE collection. Triple VIP points, a (disappointing tbh) polybag and £10 off £40? Lovely. And then double VIP later on this month.

I love Autumn.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I've seen them longer than most, but I haven't seen them for several weeks now.

I'm surprised that they haven't produced more... but I doubt the castle will change much, since it's mostly a premium product.

Complete opposite here- really had problems finding them to begin with and still waiting for a 'launch' really.

U.S. LEGO S@H shows the Disney cmfs as temporarily out of stock. Seeing that it's been months, I believe they planned another production run. The problem is all factories are at full capacity.
I do think LEGO underestimated, but I wonder if numbers also were constrained due to production limitations.
They're not even listed on the UK store any more so it's looking doubtful. Might be a Bricklink job...

None in stores here in the Netherlands or Germany left, as far as I have seen. Series 16 just came out over here (beginning of September), so could come when this series is winding down a bit more. Series 17 hasn't been leaked / announced got this year, right? Might be that are just giving S16 some breathing space and then hit hard with the Disney series around the holidays.

We've had Series 16 for a few weeks now so its taken a lot of shelf space. Series 17 AFAIK is the Batman wave so that will be getting a pretty big push around January? Just hoping TLG quietly release another batch of the Disney stuff.

I kind of want to make an order, but I don't know for what. All regularly appearing retail sets will have to wait for a sale, but I'm thinking of getting the Winter Toy Shop before it goes away again. I can get the workshop and the market (so far) around here, but my winter display will be limited either way so I think the toy shop and the tree will be plenty.

I'm very interested in that rocket too. Unless it's way over 1 m, it will fit perfectly next to Orthanc.

Fowler

I kind of want to make an order, but I don't know for what. All regularly appearing retail sets will have to wait for a sale, but I'm thinking of getting the Winter Toy Shop before it goes away again. I can get the workshop and the market (so far) around here, but my winter display will be limited either way so I think the toy shop and the tree will be plenty.

I'm very interested in that rocket too. Unless it's way over 1 m, it will fit perfectly next to Orthanc.

The Two Towers, of Orthanc, and... Armstrong.

Ponn

Banned

I'm probably not going to bother putting up my Winter Market this year for my display. Overall the set was fun to build and it was a great value at the time. As time has passed though it just never really fits in with my holiday display and is usually put off to the side away from everything else. Every year the carousel in the set looks smaller and smaller too. If you are going to pass on a set that would be the one. Do you have Santa's Workshop yet? If you don't yea that and the Toy Shop should be definite pick ups.

PSA for U.S. people, Amazon has the recent DC Killer Croc set for 20% off. It takes the sting out of buying it just for the figs.

I have bought all the Winter Village stuff since I got back into the hobby, but have yet to put them on an actual display together at the holidays. I still debate about doing it this year.

I have bought all the Winter Village stuff since I got back into the hobby, but have yet to put them on an actual display together at the holidays. I still debate about doing it this year.

Same here, though we did so once a couple years back. Now though, with ALL the sets combined, we'd need a crap ton of space to not make it seem cramped. Probably a whole dedicated table and a big one at that! (Especially if we're gonna include the holiday train + tracks now)

Fxp

Hahaha, same here, I got 3 Winter Village sets still in boxes and train will be the 4th, I'm pretty sure :)

Pretty irked at toys r us. Local Walmart had the Lego City Space Starter for $3 a pop, but it's a good 30 min away. I dropped by Toys R Us, found the item, tried to check out but they wouldn't price match because they don't match local deals even though the price was right there on the local Walmart sub page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom