• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Great work on that Springfield wetwired! I keep looking at the pic... so satisfying!

AT-ST sold out on amazon. Dang good price on it.

wetwired

Close ups of the church and tire yard, please. That looks amazing.

I'll be back to take better photos sometime over the weekend to get close ups of everything.

Is that dome solid?

Here's an older photo of it

IMG_20160603_181451.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the tips! And yeah, that definitely helps as I'm certainly a little out of my element here, but he's started showing some interest in building stuff, so I'd certainly love to encourage that!

You might want to look into getting something like: 10622, which has a name something like XXL box. This is should cost around 50 euro and has 193 pieces. He will have all the bricks he will need to built things himself, but I do not think Lego sells them directly (so no 4x VIP) and it will require him to get creative himself.

Double VIP is up and I changed my mind last minute, rather than the Bucket Wheel Excavator I'm going for Palace Cinema and Brick Bank, the last two currently available modulars I don't have. They really are my favorite Lego series and I don't want to wait too long on them, the BWE will be around next year still after all. Kinda annoyed that I've ended up going all in on these but skipped out on Town Hall meaning I have a gap in my collection, but I don't have Cafe Corner or Green Grocer either so whatever. I keep telling myself that I just really don't care for the look of Town Hall, that it looks kinda cheap and too simple. Whatever helps me sleep at night <_<

Man I'd so be all in on that $400+ modular rumor from a few pages back if it's true.

Maengun1

Anyone here have troubles with the online store recently? I don't often order direct from Lego, basically just twice a year during double VIP, and as I have no physical Lego store anywhere near me I pick up most of my sets from Amazon or when they go on clearance at the department stores.

Anyway I went to grab the Holiday Train and the promo set just now from the main site, and at the checkout page my browser warns me that the site isn't secure because "mixed content: this site includes HTTP resources." I'm pretty tech illiterate and don't know what that means exactly, but I know I've always seen that little green padlock in the address bar before and I never put my info into any page without it. Weird.

teeny

Yeah, I can't see double VIP on the UK store... I thought it was starting later this month?

My Rogue Friday order is In Warehouse and I'm getting antsy :p

Koren

Man I'd so be all in on that $400+ modular rumor from a few pages back if it's true.
Not sure I am, but that may be because I don't see what they could really do with a $400 modular. GB HQ is already a bit to big to fit well with others... not sure a large building would work well, and if it's like two modulars in a single box, I don't really see the appeal. But we'll see.

Anyone here have troubles with the online store recently?
No.

Not recently. Always.

It has always been a mess, and the new one is as broken as the previous one. I have plently of issues with it...

willp2003

This might help your October shopping list if you're in Europe. It's not so tricky in the US. From brickset:
Here are all the October offers for the UK and Europe:

4x VIP points on all DUPLO purchases, 29th September – 9th October and free 40167 My First Set with all DUPLO Purchases until 22nd October.
5004390 King's Guard free with any Nexo Knights purchase, 10th – 22nd October.
40220 London Bus free with all orders over €55/£50, 3rd – 22nd October.
40222 Holiday Countdown Calendar free with orders over €65/£60 from 23rd October – 20th November.
2x VIP points on all orders from 14th – 31st October.

And in the USA/Canada:

40222 Holiday Countdown Calendar free with orders over $99, 1-25 October.
2x VIP points on all orders all month.

teeny

This might help your October shopping list if you're in Europe. It's not so tricky in the US. From brickset:
Here are all the October offers for the UK and Europe:

4x VIP points on all DUPLO purchases, 29th September – 9th October and free 40167 My First Set with all DUPLO Purchases until 22nd October.
5004390 King's Guard free with any Nexo Knights purchase, 10th – 22nd October.
40220 London Bus free with all orders over €55/£50, 3rd – 22nd October.
40222 Holiday Countdown Calendar free with orders over &#128;65/£60 from 23rd October – 20th November.
2x VIP points on all orders from 14th – 31st October.

And in the USA/Canada:

40222 Holiday Countdown Calendar free with orders over $99, 1-25 October.
2x VIP points on all orders all month.

Thanks for the summary!

Nitemare1

Was pretty surprised to see AT-ST's on the shelf at my local walmart last night.
Bought one and seriously going back to get another today if there are any left.

Osahi

Ugh. DHL doesn't do saturday deliveries in Belgium. My SW stuff is in their warehouse at the moment. Had hoped to build the AT-ST tomorrow on my last day of holidays

Ponn

Banned
I hope despite the Revan debacle everyone got the Lego loot they wanted over the last couple days. The Lego holidays are officially upon us. I gotta say i'm surprised by all the glowing Rogue One set reviews coming out. Everyone seemed ho-hum when the first pics leaked but the sets seemed to have turned out pretty great.

Onto next month and planning out two orders to get both Christmas freebies.

teeny

I hope despite the Revan debacle everyone got the Lego loot they wanted over the last couple days. The Lego holidays are officially upon us. I gotta say i'm surprised by all the glowing Rogue One set reviews coming out. Everyone seemed ho-hum when the first pics leaked but the sets seemed to have turned out pretty great.

Onto next month and planning out two orders to get both Christmas freebies.

The same thing happened with the Force Awaken's sets, did it not? I remember people expressing displeasure at Kylo's shuttle and the Resistance Troop Transport in particular and they turned out to be top notch sets.

People's appreciation for licensed sets also changes once they get to see the thing it's licensed from; I don't think any prequel-era set could get me excited as anything else in the SW line.

Though that cannot yet be the case for Rogue One. The buzz seems incredibly lukewarm for it :( At least the Lego sets are reviewing well!

teeny

Aww prequel era DID have a bunch of great sets though!!

I mean, the Venator, Republic Gunship... and a couple others i can't remember now.

I'm sure the sets are fantastic, don't get me wrong. I just cant dissociate them from the source material which I largely have no interest in :p

Those two sets you mentioned do look very good though...

I'm sure the sets are fantastic, don't get me wrong. I just cant dissociate them from the source material which I largely have no interest in :p

Those two sets you mentioned do look very good though...

Trust me... i was JUST like you...until i watched the Clone Wars.

teeny

Trust me... i was JUST like you...until i watched the Clone Wars.

I'm making my way through it slowly at the moment and have only just finished season 1. I know it's supposed to pick up around season 3 but I did find some of it enjoyable. And I know it's the exception when it comes to prequel era stories but I am honestly not sure if I can wrap my head around some of the fundamental things I consider to be... inconsistencies.

By the time I'm done I'll have probably changed my mind and will be lamenting the fact I never considered any of the Lego sets :p But that just proves my point about an opinion of a Lego set being informed by an opinion of the source material.

Went to the store at Potomac Mills. Told my kids before we went in they could each get one set (I really just wanted the 24 in 1 Holiday promo).

Picked up the Witch & Vampire for the family seasonal display.

My 5 year old got the Friends Hot Dog cart and a Mixel

My 2 year old got a Duplo Dump Truck/Back hoe set. I've never seen him so excited about any toy. Tried to open the box in the store. He pretty much built everything without the instructions. Gotta say I am impressed. He even went up for his nap with them.

He's no Grievous though is he?

Hmm, grevious had a really cool leg construction, and his torso was interesting as it was quite literally a maze of CCBS bones. But K2S0 has some really great stuff like how his waist is put together (uses those 6 shooter parts to interesting effect, and the whole thing is held together by one of these), and the action feature, while its the same as skull bashers, is still one of my favorite action features due to its clever use of parts. And there's a bunch of other little technic things. I'd say it comes down to if you like neat technic constructions more, or that bone-maze type style.

Oh, look at the time! It's time for another of my custom modulars.

Since I participate in a LUGbulk, I was able to order a big quantity of specific bricks, some time last December. The dominant colour was dark red this year, with a wide variety of useful bricks in that colour, including the elusive masonry textured brick. So with that in mind I looked around for inspiration. And inspiration struck on a visit to Karlskrona, which has lots of old buildings in the center of town. One in particular made interesting use of dark red, so it was an obvious candidate.

All said and done, the bricks arrived and I could finally get started. The design stayed closely to that of the original building, including a jewelry on the bottom left. There's some SNOT around the windows. I briefly toyed with putting the larger dark red arcs upside down (they don't yet come in the regular version), but the smaller ones fit better. There is a gated passage through the building, where a motorcycle is stashed away under the stairs.

The jewelry shop is owned by one Llewellyn Strange. I chose his first name simply because it fits with jewels, but it turns out that there was an actual person named Llewellyn Strange. Which will make sense soon. The jewelry is run by a dedidated shopkeeper who sells all kinds of rare and precious items including, indeed, the Arkenstone.

Across the passage is a music shop. Having my father playing in a band, I've been in my fair share of music shops even though I stopped playing any long ago. This was an obvious choice after the Serenader gave us such fantastic acoustic guitars, and it was also an opportunity to show off a bunch of instruments.

Upstairs on the left is a small apartment where Llewellyn himself lives in a small cozy space. I was going for a 50's style apartment but couldn't find good parts to make teak furniture, so it ended up kind of generic brown instead.

On the other side is a dentist's office. I notice that Lego stays far away from the dentist theme - probably because there's not a kid in the world who likes dentists. The closest would be some of the recent Mixels. In the reception I put a bunch of various items, while the dentist's room has a suitably imposing set of drilling tools.

The third floor houses one big apartment, which has been slightly rebuilt by its current inhabitant: Doctor Strange. Yup, a relative of the jeweler. One of the two main rooms is slightly inaccessible because of the tentacle demon from the nether dimensions who is trying to break in. The other houses the various research topics of Strange: time-travelling Persian daggers, lamps for summoning genies, mysterious lava creatures, sentient teapots, and most recently a mysterious book on dragons, sent by an acquiantance in Elvendale.

There isn't much on the roof. I made a little balcony but it's more for service than anything else. The roof is mostly flat to accommodate whatever I decide to put on top of it (the Quinjet might leave its perch on Green Grocer to pay Strange a visit). The railing on the back is made from regular long antennas, and on the front partly from a new useful part.

There's something self-destructive about the way I make new modular buildings without any real space to put them. I might be able to squeeze this one in somewhere, but I'm quickly running out of street. Obviously the solution will be to start looking for a bigger room for my Lego.

lego_jewelry_01.jpg

lego_jewelry_07.jpg

lego_jewelry_09.jpg

More pics here:
http://www.beardednerd.se/lego-modular-moc-llewellyns-jewelry/

Just got done with Krennics Shuttle. Pretty cool build with a few interesting techniques thrown in, ends up being a good size and has a great look. Recommended.

Koren

Really really nice modular, SiegfriedFM... SNOT on the first floor front wall is really interesting.

(also, I'm late, but Wetwired's work on the Simpsons is great... obviously ;) )

Thanks for reminding me I've wanted to buy this little tribute to Vic Viper (and to a MOC builder that used to design them before passing away) for ages... I'm now a bit poorer.

wetwired

Since I participate in a LUGbulk, I was able to order a big quantity of specific bricks, some time last December. The dominant colour was dark red this year, with a wide variety of useful bricks in that colour, including the elusive masonry textured brick. So with that in mind I looked around for inspiration. And inspiration struck on a visit to Karlskrona, which has lots of old buildings in the center of town. One in particular made interesting use of dark red, so it was an obvious candidate.

All said and done, the bricks arrived and I could finally get started. The design stayed closely to that of the original building, including a jewelry on the bottom left. There's some SNOT around the windows. I briefly toyed with putting the larger dark red arcs upside down (they don't yet come in the regular version), but the smaller ones fit better. There is a gated passage through the building, where a motorcycle is stashed away under the stairs.

The jewelry shop is owned by one Llewellyn Strange. I chose his first name simply because it fits with jewels, but it turns out that there was an actual person named Llewellyn Strange. Which will make sense soon. The jewelry is run by a dedidated shopkeeper who sells all kinds of rare and precious items including, indeed, the Arkenstone.

Across the passage is a music shop. Having my father playing in a band, I've been in my fair share of music shops even though I stopped playing any long ago. This was an obvious choice after the Serenader gave us such fantastic acoustic guitars, and it was also an opportunity to show off a bunch of instruments.

Upstairs on the left is a small apartment where Llewellyn himself lives in a small cozy space. I was going for a 50's style apartment but couldn't find good parts to make teak furniture, so it ended up kind of generic brown instead.

On the other side is a dentist's office. I notice that Lego stays far away from the dentist theme - probably because there's not a kid in the world who likes dentists. The closest would be some of the recent Mixels. In the reception I put a bunch of various items, while the dentist's room has a suitably imposing set of drilling tools.

The third floor houses one big apartment, which has been slightly rebuilt by its current inhabitant: Doctor Strange. Yup, a relative of the jeweler. One of the two main rooms is slightly inaccessible because of the tentacle demon from the nether dimensions who is trying to break in. The other houses the various research topics of Strange: time-travelling Persian daggers, lamps for summoning genies, mysterious lava creatures, sentient teapots, and most recently a mysterious book on dragons, sent by an acquiantance in Elvendale.

There isn't much on the roof. I made a little balcony but it's more for service than anything else. The roof is mostly flat to accommodate whatever I decide to put on top of it (the Quinjet might leave its perch on Green Grocer to pay Strange a visit). The railing on the back is made from regular long antennas, and on the front partly from a new useful part.

There's something self-destructive about the way I make new modular buildings without any real space to put them. I might be able to squeeze this one in somewhere, but I'm quickly running out of street. Obviously the solution will be to start looking for a bigger room for my Lego.

lego_jewelry_01.jpg

lego_jewelry_07.jpg

lego_jewelry_09.jpg

More pics here:

I'm still waiting on my LUGBulk :(

Looks amazing, only suggestion I would have is to add a splash of colour, flowers or banner or something to break up the dark red a bit, other than that it could pass as an official set

wetwired

Someone on Reddit took the design for Ash that I used and did his own complete with Ash's oldmobile, he released the LDD for it too which I might use to make my own.

d6XpC39.jpg

I thought it looked like a good start for a Bluesmobile too which I whipped up in LDD

pzJHq3r.png

Picked up the Rogue One AT-ST last night, built it this morning. Definitely a great build, just sucks the legs arent easily movable.

Also there is apparently a mod I saw on reddit where the cockpit area can fit two mini figs.

1OfK5km.jpg

Wanderer5

Was at Barnes and Noble earlier and at the clearance section they had a few lego star wars stuff, particularly some of the action figures. I also saw the Battle on Takodana set, along with the Imperial Shuttle, through that was already being taken away.D:

Was at Barnes and Noble earlier and at the clearance section they had a few lego star wars stuff, particularly some of the action figures. I also saw the Battle on Takodana set, along with the Imperial Shuttle, through that was already being taken away.D:

My local B&N only have Ninjago stuffs and they were mostly gone after couple of days.

Wanderer5

I also saw what seems to be the remains of the Chima line heh.

Speaking of Imperial Shuttle, as much as the original is a great design, Krennic's Imperial Shuttle is pretty damn interesting. Looking at Jangbricks review and wow does the set open up pretty good it seems. The "pyramid" look really stands out nicely when the wings are down. The wings are pretty long, through they are even longer on the model display that was shown lol.

lego_jewelry_01.jpg

lego_jewelry_07.jpg

lego_jewelry_09.jpg

More pics here:
Love it! Especially like Mrs. Potts hiding in there. Also, the SNOT on the second floor is nice. Curious if it connects any other way than the 1x1 SNOT at the top of the sing pieces. Just interested in the technique.

Love it! Especially like Mrs. Potts hiding in there. Also, the SNOT on the second floor is nice. Curious if it connects any other way than the 1x1 SNOT at the top of the sing pieces. Just interested in the technique.

Yes. That's what's visible in the dentist picture: a clip connected to the floor holds a 6L bar which connects to the back of the wall pieces.

Osahi

Picked up the U-Wing today. Toy store did an offer were you got a 10 euro coupon to use on a future purchase with a 50 euro purchase so I went to check if they got the new sets. They seemed like they didn't at first, but then I saw one of the employees loading the new sets in the storage space on top of the shelves, out of reach of the clients. 'We don't have space left for Star Wars stuff in the shelves, there is too many', she explained. I was flabbergasted... Who knows how many folks they had in store since friday looking for the new sets and not finding them because they were out of reach?

Anyway, now they'll probably put some SW sets on clearance :p

(Built half of the U-Wing allready. This is going to be a beast! Great technique on the firing mechanism of the spring loaded shooters too, and I love the Jyn Erso figure)

mrkgoo

Picked up the Rogue One AT-ST last night, built it this morning. Definitely a great build, just sucks the legs arent easily movable.

Also there is apparently a mod I saw on reddit where the cockpit area can fit two mini figs.

1OfK5km.jpg

Oh boy, thanks for posting this. I was looking into this model. Ever since I was young, I have always been trying to build certain models: Millennium Falcon, Johnny 5, and the AT-ST.

Aside from the UCS version, this is the only one that has looked any good. I might crack and get it, although it's pretty pricey (although the price per piece is meant to be ok)

Koren

Yes. That's what's visible in the dentist picture: a clip connected to the floor holds a 6L bar which connects to the back of the wall pieces.
That's clever... I was wondering too how it was fastened, and I missed the details in the dentist picture.

Also, I really should look into joining a LUG... if only for bulk orders. Being member of a LUG allows you to sometimes order bricks at discount prices, that's it?

I went to a decent little toy store in Italy while on vacation since they had a good selection of older sets (Like the Firehouse modular, the Super Star Destroyer, and the Birds Idea set).

Unfortunately, all the prices were WAY too high. Even new sets like the Star Wars ones were at least 20 Euros over the MSRP, not even including the exchange rates. The Bird Idea set was like 100 euros for example. I know you can get them without tax, but still too expensive for me to consider buying.

Sucks that there aren't official LEGO Stores in Italy. We walked by one in France that looked awesome, but we didn't have time to stop in.

I went to a decent little toy store in Italy while on vacation since they had a good selection of older sets (Like the Firehouse modular, the Super Star Destroyer, and the Birds Idea set).

Unfortunately, all the prices were WAY too high. Even new sets like the Star Wars ones were at least 20 Euros over the MSRP, not even including the exchange rates. The Bird Idea set was like 100 euros for example. I know you can get them without tax, but still too expensive for me to consider buying.

Sucks that there aren't official LEGO Stores in Italy. We walked by one in France that looked awesome, but we didn't have time to stop in.

Well... i mean... if you can actually find Fire Brigade and SSD at 20 or even 30 euro over MSRP then yeah, GO FOR IT :) You won't find those OOP sets anywhere cheaper (on Ebay, they as for a LOT more than that)

TheFuzz

As always, spectacular job, Seigfried. Love the work on the awnings on the windows using the special white plates. I, too, intend on working the Dr Strange set into an apartment.

Can't wait to build Krennic's shuttle today. I ended up grabbing that to get the Christmas freebie yesterday. The design is to unique and 'clean,' in my opinion. Only after I bought it did I see the great minifigures included. Pretty excited for this one.

Koren

Yes, Lego Stores are really nice. I think the one I like the most is the Disneyland Paris one, because it has a nice, big wall ^_^

The only thing I'm not enjoying is that people working there are TOO nice. They keep asking if everything is all right, what you want to build, etc. I don't mind that much (I know it's store policy, and there's an evaluation system in place... and most people working there are actually really interested in what you're doing) but I don't really like it. The fact that they remember you makes things worse ^_^

Interestingly enough, they talk about Pick a Brick, but also about Bricklink. They know people wanting pieces will not always find what they want through normal channels. I hope Lego don't mind, because I think it's the right thing to do. People that MOC won't stop buying sets because of BL, they'll just sink more and more into the hobby ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom