• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Anyone know what is new on the wall this month. Quarter 4 just started so there should be new pick a models and favorite pieces. I am wondering if perhaps other sand green showed up or something similarly interesting.

Anyone know what is new on the wall this month. Quarter 4 just started so there should be new pick a models and favorite pieces. I am wondering if perhaps other sand green showed up or something similarly interesting.

Curious as well. Need to know if I need to plan a day trip to the store.

ghostmind

DC Super Hero Girls:

(EDIT: what LordOfLore said)

CTfPK3R.jpg

8AkRbqy.jpg

k2CXt7j.jpg

DC Super Hero Girls:

(EDIT: what LordOfLore said)

CTfPK3R.jpg

8AkRbqy.jpg

k2CXt7j.jpg

Ugh, these kinda make me throw up a little in my mouth, YET i find myself strangely attracted to them as well so not sure how to react to these just yet....

Time will tell i suppose, i often ended up loving sets that i initially seemed to hate.

The first three include Green Grocer, isn't it?

Because I find BL Cafe Corner far more tricky... Dark blue is a knightmare, and I've yet to think of a possible swap.

Dark blue basic parts can very easily be found on shop.lego.com, either on PAB or BAP. That's how I built both that and Market Street. The parts aren't rare, just overpriced on BL. You don't need the quarter arcs (they are completely hidden from view). I guess the pillars are getting ridiculous compared to when I built it though. The doors are still crazy, but other than that you can find most of it for decent prices if you substitute the windows for newer variants.

Koren

Dark blue basic parts can very easily be found on shop.lego.com, either on PAB or BAP. That's how I built both that and Market Street. The parts aren't rare, just overpriced on BL. You don't need the quarter arcs (they are completely hidden from view).
The arch over the right entrance is visible? Or are you talking about something else (not sure what are quarter arcs)? I think I remember it being really expensive... (the fact that I buy new parts doesn't help, I guess).

I guess the pillars are getting ridiculous compared to when I built it though. The doors are still crazy
Indeed... From what I remember, there's several costly parts, too.

I barely had to do substitutions for GG*, so I felt it was easy, and virtually all pieces were common and cheap.

* beside the sand green > sand blue and dark green > dark blue swap... I may do a similar swap for dark blue in CC, but I'm not sure which color to choose yet...

That being said, I need to invest more time into planning. I may ask for your help if I'm struck and you don't mind ;) I intend to do a lot more changes than for GG, though, since I want to do an interior, for example (there was a nice MOC on Eurobricks thatg gave me ideas)

The arch over the right entrance is visible? Or are you talking about something else (not sure what are quarter arcs)? I think I remember it being really expensive... (the fact that I buy new parts doesn't help, I guess).

Indeed... From what I remember, there's several costly parts, too.

I barely had to do substitutions for GG*, so I felt it was easy, and virtually all pieces were common and cheap.

* beside the sand green > sand blue and dark green > dark blue swap... I may do a similar swap for dark blue in CC, but I'm not sure which color to choose yet...

That being said, I need to invest more time into planning. I may ask for your help if I'm struck and you don't mind ;) I intend to do a lot more changes than for GG, though, since I want to do an interior, for example (there was a nice MOC on Eurobricks thatg gave me ideas)

Actually, I already made interiors for CC:
http://www.beardednerd.se/lego-moc-cafe-corner-interiors/

And how I completed mine:
http://www.beardednerd.se/completing-lego-cafe-corner-10182/

I would suggest looking through the instructions carefully. Those turntables are ridiculous, but I think in most cases they can be replaced with a 2x2 jumper instead.

Koren

I should have looked into your blog, it was already interesting for GG, but there's a lot of interesting ideas there... Nice furnitures...

Ugh, these kinda make me throw up a little in my mouth, YET i find myself strangely attracted to them as well so not sure how to react to these just yet....

Time will tell i suppose, i often ended up loving sets that i initially seemed to hate.

So far Supergirl is the best super hero translation. Probably because it's closest to an actual comic book version. I don't like the Batgirl design and most of them don't look like super heroes in costumes. Hoping Wonder Woman and others look more like costumes super heroes.

That curved 1x1 tile...I need lots of them.

You talking about the 1/4 circle 1x1 tile? Yeah, I'm like all the new 1x1 tile moulds LEGO has been putting out. I just need to wait until they become plentiful or end up in PAB wall.

Dawww Batgirl is so adorable. I'm still a little peeved though that we finally get a sort-of-Hall of Justice and its this.

Don't you mean Mall of Justice?

I don't like the Batgirl design...well just the hoodie part. It just doesn't look right to me. Rest is OK.
I like the Batplane especially being in dark blue. Could have easily ended up pastel blue or something.

Yeah, the 1/4 circle tile is what I mean. I need tons of this, and soon. So awesome looking. All the new 1x1 tile types are great (teeth style, pyramids). We just need some massive Jamie Bernard set to give us a few hundred for laughs.

thatsapenis.gif

Edit: I actually think this theme is an awesome idea. Just couldn't unsee the above ;)

That's phallic as much as a baseball bat.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, it's a big stretch to consider that building looks like a pen15.

Good LORD the overreactions on Twitter, I wasn't ready. Not this early in the morning.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Poor Lego.

What's this in reference to? I missed it.

Is it the LEGO Super Hero girls?
https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/782952828633579520/photo/1

Forget Beetlejuice, I need that Powerpuff Girls pack. Give me a Mojo Jojo figure! And HIM!

I still remember figuring out in college that Powerpuff Girls was actually meant for girls. I lived in Atlanta at the time and went to CNN center and the Cartoon Network store to get t-shirts and was shocked to find all the Powerpuff Girls stuff was aimed at little girls. It was like my world was broken.

At least I got Dexter's Lab and Cow & Chicken shirts on that visit.

What's this in reference to? I missed it.

Yeah, the reactions on Twitter. "Oh so the normal Super Hero sets aren't good enough for girls" comments. Never mind that even at the base level, DC Super Hero Girls is a DC thing and this is merely licensing.

I really don't get the ridiculous bullshit surrounding the Friends line. Girls are free to buy whatever Lego sets they want but, and this is obviously a completely unheard of thought to some, there are girls that LIKE dolls over action figures. Why should they be ignored?

teeny

Yeah, the reactions on Twitter. "Oh so the normal Super Hero sets aren't good enough for girls" comments. Never mind that even at the base level, DC Super Hero Girls is a DC thing and this is merely licensing.

I really don't get the ridiculous bullshit surrounding the Friends line. Girls are free to buy whatever Lego sets they want but, and this is obviously a completely unheard of thought to some, there are girls that LIKE dolls over action figures. Why should they be ignored?

I guess that some people see it as a continuation of the toy industry's "pink aisle for the girls, the rest of the shop for everyone else" method of targeting girls. I can understand how that is problematic and I can kind of see why people view the Friends line and minidolls as a continuation of it. However, I find that, in Lego's case, the stereotypes just aren't valid. The products are deep, well thought out, have wide appeal (including to some boys) and are compatible with the rest of their lines. Minidolls and Minifigs can coexist and if a girl prefers DC minifigs, then they are available to her as well.

This could be a big week (and weekend) for LEGO reveals...

Tease!

mrkgoo

Putting the CMF Ariel hairpiece onto the Ariel minimill is the best rendition.

I think the minidolls are pretty cool. The guys in that series are pretty lame though.

Is this set going to be like the Mos Eisley set of last year?

In what sense? The pure density and quality of the Mos Eisley set is at least one big differentiator.

Built Jay's Elemental Dragon over the weekend and it is a beast, especially at that price. Fun to built and the extra ship is pretty cool as well. Does seem like they put all the effort in making the head, body and wings look amazing and forgot to finish the back of the dragon, it is quite top heavy because of that. Still think Cole's dragon is the best, it offers so much poseability for such a small price.

Still have the NRG Dragon and Master Wu dragon waiting to join the current line-up of dragons, but those have to wait for December (Sinterklaas, Birthdays and X-Mas). Hope the Moro dragon goes on sale soon so I can add it as well.

Closeup

I1VUYuI.jpg

Curious if the arms and legs are dual color injections (looks like triple in some legs). Mainly because they sleeve, pants, and boot lengths vary. Why can't LEGO do that with the dual injection arms and legs in minifigs? Mr. Incredible CMF would have benefited from that because the gloves go past his elbows.

Custom minidolls from an LEGO Ideas project.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/104050

1927883-o_19megab9d564uhetap1fk411jg13-full.jpg

EDIT: Looks like Olivia's father (Peter) has an Amazon mistress (Wonder Woman)

EDIT2: Found some more custom minidolls. As a big comic book nerd, I could go for more proper Super Hero minidolls. I'd prefer minifigs though.

In what sense? The pure density and quality of the Mos Eisley set is at least one big differentiator.

Built Jay's Elemental Dragon over the weekend and it is a beast, especially at that price. Fun to built and the extra ship is pretty cool as well. Does seem like they put all the effort in making the head, body and wings look amazing and forgot to finish the back of the dragon, it is quite top heavy because of that. Still think Cole's dragon is the best, it offers so much poseability for such a small price.

Still have the NRG Dragon and Master Wu dragon waiting to join the current line-up of dragons, but those have to wait for December (Sinterklaas, Birthdays and X-Mas). Hope the Moro dragon goes on sale soon so I can add it as well.

Yes! Pimp out those Ninjago dragons.

The small Cole dragon is a perfect gateway to the larger ones.

Hi! Lego newbie here. I have been following this thread for a while, and I think it is time to introduce myself and prepare my wallet... Well, this may be a long post, so I appreciate your reading, thoughts and answers.

I am 44. I was never a Lego kid, part because the brand only officially launched here in 1986, and by that time I was already a teenager with other things in my mind. Playmobil was a very strong brand here when I was young, so I grow up building tons of sets (some I still have today, others I bought them as an adult). During different periods of my life Lego sets got my attention, but I never dived in. They intrigue me, and the building aspect is very appealing to me. My kid got some sets, and I loved to help him assembling it. Some years ago I got both Black Pearl and Revenge of Queen Anne from Pirates of the Caribbean (sets that I need to remove the dust...). Love to build them. But I was already spending money with other hobbies. I like videogames, and first Skylanders got my collection tendencies, then Disney Infinity. When Lego Dimensions was announced, I decided to skip it since three toys to life games would be too much. But Skylanders fever wore off, and Infinity was cancelled . So I got some Lego Dimensions stuff and… soon I had all year one sets. And I loved to build them. So the Lego bug bit me… and I am hunger for more. I bought some Simpsons minifigures and soon I was with the complete set. Now I am hunting sales on series 13, 14 and 15 which are still available here (Disney just out but too expensive, 50% more than series 15, and no sigh of series 16 yet).

But some difficulty ahead: I live in Brazil, so…
1) Lego sets are expensive here. Like 2x or 3x times more than in US. If something costs $100 in US, it is safe to assume it will cost more than $250 here.
2) Sets are released here with a long delay from US/Europe. If we get luck, a 6 months delay. Some cases even after a year.
3) Not all sets are officially released here. Like less than 1/3 of the US/European releases. You can go to the gray market to get them, but then again, costs.

Also, we had official Lego stores here, but no VIP points, no pick-a-brick and I cannot order bricks online too (of course I had to import).

But nevertheless… There are a lot of Lego lines today compared to the past. I am mainly interested in building and display, so Lego buildings and cities, and small dioramas, will be my main focus. Lego own brands (Ninjago, Bionicle, Chima) do not appeal to me. Thanks God I am not a Star Wars fan, so I can save my wallet from the SW tax. Marvel and DC are great. I loved the minifigures that come out for Dimensions. But I find the sets too barren. They are mainly focused in vehicles (understandable since they are for kids and kids play) and feel so incomplete for dioramas. I cannot justify their price just for the figures so for now I will stay away from them.

That leaves me Creator, City and Modular lines. Again for city building and dioramas.
Within a few days I got those:

Mostly in sales (40% for the lakeside Lodge and Corner Deli which was great since they are brand new here). The reason I got the Forest Creatures is that it was half off.

Well, questions:
1) My plan Is to work on official sets (I try to get Parisian Restaurant for Xmas) , then start following/assembling other people creations to finally work in MOC. Is it a good idea to buy custom instructions like in brickbuilderpro? Some houses seems very nice there.
2) Which is the consensus in using different lines bricks for citybuilding? Friends sets seems to have to nice accessories and special pieces. Not the minidolls, but the accessories for interior decoration, like the supermarket and coffee shop sets. There are also some junior sets with interesting accessories.

And so… Now I am part of the Lego family. For better or worse. Will try to post and participate in this thread, if you do not mind (most GAF specialized threads are too impenetrable for newbies, like the Comics thread, but you seem very nice, guys.)

edited due to image size.

I don't care at all for DC characters, so luckily that line doesn't generally appeal to me... but DAT POISON IVY! I need at least two - that face is amazing.

Hi! Lego newbie here. I have been following this thread for a while, and I think it is time to introduce myself and prepare my wallet... Well, this may be a long post, so I appreciate your reading, thoughts and answers.

I am 44. I was never a Lego kid, part because the brand only officially launched here in 1986, and by that time I was already a teenager with other things in my mind. Playmobil was a very strong brand here when I was young, so I grow up building tons of sets (some I still have today, others I bought them as an adult). During different periods of my life Lego sets got my attention, but I never dived in. They intrigue me, and the building aspect is very appealing to me. My kid got some sets, and I loved to help him assembling it. Some years ago I got both Black Pearl and Revenge of Queen Anne from Pirates of the Caribbean (sets that I need to remove the dust...). Love to build them. But I was already spending money with other hobbies. I like videogames, and first Skylanders got my collection tendencies, then Disney Infinity. When Lego Dimensions was announced, I decided to skip it since three toys to life games would be too much. But Skylanders fever wore off, and Infinity was cancelled . So I got some Lego Dimensions stuff and… soon I had all year one sets. And I loved to build them. So the Lego bug bit me… and I am hunger for more. I bought some Simpsons minifigures and soon I was with the complete set. Now I am hunting sales on series 13, 14 and 15 which are still available here (Disney just out but too expensive, 50% more than series 15, and no sigh of series 16 yet).

1) Lego sets are expensive here. Like 2x or 3x times more than in US. If something costs $100 in US, it is safe to assume it will cost more than $250 here.
2) Sets are released here with a long delay from US/Europe. If we get luck, a 6 months delay. Some cases even after a year.
3) Not all sets are officially released here. Like less than 1/3 of the US/European releases. You can go to the gray market to get them, but then again, costs.

Also, we had official Lego stores here, but no VIP points, no pick-a-brick and I cannot order bricks online too (of course I had to import).

But nevertheless… There are a lot of Lego lines today compared to the past. I am mainly interested in building and display, so Lego buildings and cities, and small dioramas, will be my main focus. Lego own brands (Ninjago, Bionicle, Chima) do not appeal to me. Thanks God I am not a Star Wars fan, so I can save my wallet from the SW tax. Marvel and DC are great. I loved the minifigures that come out for Dimensions. But I find the sets too barren. They are mainly focused in vehicles (understandable since they are for kids and kids play) and feel so incomplete for dioramas. I cannot justify their price just for the figures so for now I will stay away from them.

That leaves me Creator, City and Modular lines. Again for city building and dioramas.

Mostly in sales (40% for the lakeside Lodge and Corner Deli which was great since they are brand new here). The reason I got the Forest Creatures is that it was half off.

Well, questions:
1) My plan Is to work on official sets (I try to get Parisian Restaurant for Xmas) , then start following/assembling other people creations to finally work in MOC. Is it a good idea to buy custom instructions like in brickbuilderpro? Some houses seems very nice there.
2) Which is the consensus in using different lines bricks for citybuilding? Friends sets seems to have to nice accessories and special pieces. Not the minidolls, but the accessories for interior decoration, like the supermarket and coffee shop sets. There are also some junior sets with interesting accessories.

And so… Now I am part of the Lego family. For better or worse. Will try to post and participate in this thread, if you do not mind (most GAF specialized threads are too impenetrable for newbies, like the Comics thread, but you seem very nice, guys.)

Welcome! And kiss your money goodbye.

Also, definitely look into Friends sets. It is doing what City isn't. They make great compliments.

Ryuuroden

Well, questions:

Welcome!

It is really costly to import too, right? I know someone from Brazil that imports Japanese figures and he said there is a big import tax and customs is super nosy and will hold stuff hostage often when they think something is worth more than listed charge.

Edit: on Brazil note, I have an extra Rio Olympics set that I may be willing to trade to a gaf member. It cost me 50 dollars. Not much I can think of off hand that I would trade it for. One thing would be the ant man set

Sand green is actually (kind of) available quite readily on LEGO's store. IIRC there are no 1x8, 1x6 or 1x2 bricks, but you can get 1x4 and 1x1 which is probably good enough to make a decent enough correctly-coloured version.

Rootbeer

Banned
Finally a non-shitty looking two face minifigure.

LEGO Batman movie sets are gonna be legendary

Gonna be some hard choices in January. First priority is getting the full set of CMF. Then I think I'll grab the batmobile, jokermobile, and batcave. I'll have to get the others gradually, I guess.

The LEGO Batman Movie:

Yd2pqWd.jpg

gwHmIWk.jpg

PwZWmeK.jpg

Oh, god. I can already tell this will take all my money.

Arkham looks amazing. Going to place my bet that it is a Marcos Bessa set. The workout bench looks like something he would pull off.

EDIT: Dat Batcave with rotating platform of costumes. And the penguin armed to the bill.

So much Batgoodness!

Super optimistic on Batman CMF's seeing the 3 Batsuits in the Batcave set.

Penguin's hat looks like a Mad Hatter hat (minus hair). Kinda looks like Tim Burton version of Penguin. Also new umbrella mould.

Love the Mr Freeze. They gave him a armor mound so they could use that trans dome piece. I hope there is a more generic version so can make custom minfigs using that dome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom