• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's clever... I was wondering too how it was fastened, and I missed the details in the dentist picture.

Also, I really should look into joining a LUG... if only for bulk orders. Being member of a LUG allows you to sometimes order bricks at discount prices, that's it?

Generally, LUGs frown at joining just to get that benefit. You're expected to go to exhibitions and show off what you've made - the entire point is to allow fans to build those huge things that you could never pull off without another source than retail sets. I live a bit outside the general circuit so I rarely bring my stuff, but we do meet up in the local (as in, 200 km apart) group and show our builds. The benefit for TLG is obviously advertising - showing off how cool Lego is without having to hire someone to build it. And also a little bit of loyalty retention, I'm assuming.

There's sometimes invitations to events at the official store, although since ours only opened last year there hasn't been much yet. We're also a semi-official resource when someone needs people at events like TRU.

And we also get a bunch of insane requests like "we'd like a cubic meter of Lego for set dressing on our show, can you get it for us next week?" and "my company would like a 1:10 model of our headquarters, we got $500 to buy Lego parts for". :D

Went to BR-Toys with my youngest little sister and she bought this LEGO Friends set with late birthday present money from grandmother:
25955279145_29a29b6a3cvsxj.jpg
and two Series 16 bags(she got a pirate which she was fairly meh on aside from the map and the polar photographer which she really liked before she even saw the tiny penguin).

She really likes airplanes now and wishes there was a Air Force One set. What airplane sets would you recommend?

How does someone get involved in one of these things?

Join your nearest LUG. We're getting our LUGBulk order next week, finally!

And what if there are none nearby? I said months ago I was going to look into making one for southern KY/northern TN. I really need to get off my ass and do that. Just been bogged down with other things lately.

I need to get off my ass and finish my MOC I have been working on for months.

Koren

Generally, LUGs frown at joining just to get that benefit. You're expected to go to exhibitions and show off what you've made - the entire point is to allow fans to build those huge things that you could never pull off without another source than retail sets.
Well, I wasn't clear enough*... I'll be really glad to build stuff and display it in exhibitions. But help in getting parts to create those MOCs would be most welcome.

* edit: re-reading my post, I wasn't clear at all ^_^

mojiimbo

The only thing I'm not enjoying is that people working there are TOO nice. They keep asking if everything is all right, what you want to build, etc. I don't mind that much (I know it's store policy, and there's an evaluation system in place... and most people working there are actually really interested in what you're doing) but I don't really like it. The fact that they remember you makes things worse ^_^
:-/

Koren

Are lugs usually older people? I'd feel awkward if I walked in and it was a bunch of kids
Judging from forums, I think there's a lot of older people, which wouldn't be surprising since building things tend to be expensive. But I'd also like a confirmation.

Hey, it's not THAT bad, but I'm quite shy, and I like to be a shadow in shops... ^_^ No problem with people working there, they're great, that's just me.

Ryuuroden

Judging from forums, I think there's a lot of older people, which wouldn't be surprising since building things tend to be expensive. But I'd also like a confirmation.

Hey, it's not THAT bad, but I'm quite shy, and I like to be a shadow in shops... ^_^ No problem with people working there, they're great, that's just me.

LUG's are only older people. LUG's are generally restricted to 18+ years old. The only kids allowed in the ones I know of are the children of members and even then, they are only unofficial members.

Ponn

Banned
*crossposting from gaming side thread

I got most of my Target order the other day finally. Everything except the HP pack which made me very disappointed, shouldn't be backordered because I preordered the damn thing. Anyways built the GB story pack and here is some pics.

Like the sliding doors build. Surprised that they started using some advanced techniques in these builds. I actually like the idea of these story packs from a standpoint of an AFOL. It's a great reminder that these are still Lego sets and there is more to these than just game levels.

I also enjoyed these awning builds. It reminded me of the Palace Cinema modular building. Which by the way if anyone playing Dimensions really enjoyed this build I would highly recommend picking up that Lego set to scratch your itch.

Gret fig and the Ecto build was actually pretty good little build too. I like the improved pack build for the fig. They added one of the new ingot pieces and it feels and looks good.

Here's a bonus B.A. shot

Also if anyone hasn't picked up the Ghostbusters story pack yet I uploaded a couple gameplay videos from PS4 to youtube. They are from the first chapter in two parts and include some B.A. gameplay as well. I messed up and lost the first part of the video because I didn't know the increments of time it recorded back to. I also have uncontrollable OCD so I have to get all the studs and find secrets so I might spoil some secrets in the vids so fair warning, also the last vid has the boss battle for the first chapter. If anyone wants me to post more vids let me know and I will keep them coming.

Ghostbusters story pack vid 1

Ghostbusters story pack vid 2

TheFuzz

Halfway through Krennic's shuttle..... Wow, have they improved the building techniques on these ships. The top fin is super/stable to be as tall and narrow as it is. I really like Krennic's chair and how's it's incorporated into the structure. And the minifigures, specifically the Death Trooper... Wow.

Loving this so far, may have to continue with some other Star Ward ships after this.

iosefe

Halfway through Krennic's shuttle..... Wow, have they improved the building techniques on these ships. The top fin is super/stable to be as tall and narrow as it is. I really like Krennic's chair and how's it's incorporated into the structure. And the minifigures, specifically the Death Trooper... Wow.

Loving this so far, may have to continue with some other Star Ward ships after this.

using a flick missile to add stability to the fin blew my mind as i built it

Fantomex

Good day fellow kids. I discovered Clone Wars. I am hooked. Catching up to Lego sets is a absolute money pit. But I'm more interested in collecting all troops and lightsaber dude guys. Any advice on picking up old figs? So far I'm trying eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, offer up.

Good day fellow kids. I discovered Clone Wars. I am hooked. Catching up to Lego sets is a absolute money pit. But I'm more interested in collecting all troops and lightsaber dude guys. Any advice on picking up old figs? So far I'm trying eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, offer up.

Try Bricklink.

For Clone Wars though, it's worth mentioning that until recently, Lego used an "animated" style for the faces of CW characters, which look absolutely horrible. They eventually came around to the regular style and many characters have been rereleased. In most cases, the Jedi are the highlight of their set, so individual figures could be expensive.

ghostmind

Bricklink is your friend (and your bank account's nemesis).

Fantomex

Try Bricklink.

For Clone Wars though, it's worth mentioning that until recently, Lego used an "animated" style for the faces of CW characters, which look absolutely horrible. They eventually came around to the regular style and many characters have been rereleased. In most cases, the Jedi are the highlight of their set, so individual figures could be expensive.

Bricklink is your friend (and your bank account's nemesis).

Ha! Thanks guys

ninge

Do we talk about Lepin here?

I might have cracked a bought a cafe corner... rationale was something like; it was the only modular we missed and after market prices are crazy, so never gonna afford a real one. I'd be happy to do a detailed review (tldr: not bad quality for a fake, some missing bits and some stuff that doesn't hold together, tollerences are all over the place - it's definitely not Lego quality, but it will suffice until I can find time to bricklink all the real parts to make one) and take some pics if anyone is interested.

If this is something we don't talk about I can delete this and never mention it again! ;)

Fowler

I might have cracked a bought a cafe corner... rationale was something like; it was the only modular we missed and after market prices are crazy, so never gonna afford a real one. I'd be happy to do a detailed review (tldr: not bad quality for a fake, some missing bits and some stuff that doesn't hold together, tollerences are all over the place - it's definitely not Lego quality, but it will suffice until I can find time to bricklink all the real parts to make one) and take some pics if anyone is interested.

If this is something we don't talk about I can delete this and never mention it again! ;)

Attitudes vary wildly, from those who happily show off their counterfeit wares to those who don't like even the thought of talking about them.

I reckon if it's something you can't reasonably obtain anymore from LEGO, or something LEGO does not make at all... as long as you're not constantly posting about the cool stuff you got from Lepin, I have no objection. Even though I'd never buy Lepin myself, I'm actually pretty curious to see how good or bad it is.

neonglow

I wouldn't mind a review of clone brands. It helps set expectations on the quality and better informs everyone.

Osahi

As Fowler said it really depends. Talk of bootleg figures is pretty comon, as usually it handles characters Lego doesn't touch upon.

About Lepin sets there is hardly any talk, and in my opinion rightfully so. There are users (or there is at least one) who is very happy to brag about Lepin and doesn't refrain from even enaibling others to get those sets, and it rubbed me personaly the wrong way. To preserve the peace I usually shut up about it, though I have been close at times to adressing him directly.

Anyway we had some discussions in the past about it, and not to long ago too. And I think most users don't really like bootlegtalk, though I can be mistaken about it.

In my personal opinion Lepin is to be avoided by all means. By buying sets from them, even ones you can't really get official anymore without selling a kidney for the aftermarket, you legitemize them. You also enable them to make profits, which they can invest in better fakes, which in turn can legitimize them more with unsuspecting customers. How much profit The Lego Group makes, companies like Lepin are still hurting their business. And then I'm not even starting about the intellectual property issue, where they just plain steal the hard work of Lego designers (and the R&D costs of Lego themselves).

So if it is up to me, Lepin has no place at all in this topic. But that's just me :)

I wouldn't mind a review of clone brands. It helps set expectations on the quality and better informs everyone.

Why shuld you inform and set expectations about stuff like this? We should stay far away from these sets.

I don't like bootleg talk. I don't make the rules though.

Incidentally, Cafe Corner is the easiest of the first three to Bricklink since you can make many substitutions that don't show up.

mclem

This might help your October shopping list if you're in Europe. It's not so tricky in the US. From brickset:
Here are all the October offers for the UK and Europe:

4x VIP points on all DUPLO purchases, 29th September – 9th October and free 40167 My First Set with all DUPLO Purchases until 22nd October.
5004390 King's Guard free with any Nexo Knights purchase, 10th – 22nd October.
40220 London Bus free with all orders over €55/£50, 3rd – 22nd October.
40222 Holiday Countdown Calendar free with orders over €65/£60 from 23rd October – 20th November.
2x VIP points on all orders from 14th – 31st October.

So it looks like I'm going to be wanting to make two orders, ideally; one after the 14th (focussing on the stuff that's going to be expiring soon) and one after the 23rd; both will get double VIP, and I'll get the bonus points (Well, except the Nexo Knights one, although I might get tempted with a cheapie - is there anything good for Nexo Knights that's not terribly expensive?)

Ponn

Banned
Everything is awesome guys!!

So it looks like I'm going to be wanting to make two orders, ideally; one after the 14th (focussing on the stuff that's going to be expiring soon) and one after the 23rd; both will get double VIP, and I'll get the bonus points (Well, except the Nexo Knights one, although I might get tempted with a cheapie - is there anything good for Nexo Knights that's not terribly expensive?)

Kings Mech and that Infernox set are both cheap and have rave reviews here.

neonglow

Yeah I need to decide when to order the Caterham.
Do you think the London bus or the calendar thing would be better?

Even though the calendar has twice as many pieces (250 vs 118), I'd go with the bus. The calendar is just a bunch of regular LEGO bricks to make tiny models that you can make yourself once the instructions are released.

willp2003

Even though the calendar has twice as many pieces (250 vs 118), I'd go with the bus. The calendar is just a bunch of regular LEGO bricks to make tiny models that you can make yourself once the instructions are released.

Thanks. I'm going wait for the overlap with double VIP, and hope it doesn't go out of stock.
Edit: discount code GB10 still works, so ordered now.

Osahi

My S@H order came in. Lego threw in a Spider-Man Super Jumper polybag as an extra suprise. I'm not into Super Heroes (not in Lego anyway), but it's a nice gesture and I'm sure I'll find a kid I can make very happy with it.

Can't wait to build the Slave-1, but I'll postpone it probably a bit untill I have more time. The AT-ST will be build today offcourse. Seems to be such a good set (the whole Rogue One line looks top notch, I really enjoyed the U-Wing, and according to Jang it's one of the lesser ones)

Kyari

I had legitimately considered doing the same at some point. For the price, given that it's far too expensive to buy legitimately anymore, it's tempting. I would appreciate a detailed review for sure.

Osahi

The AT-ST is awesome. Just finished it during (a long) lunch break. The rotating head feature is incredible, because it's snappyness makes it feel like it's stop motion like in the movies.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Wasnt planning on picking up any of the Rogue One sets but hearing all these great comments about the AT-ST so count me in.

Gonna wait for the Double VIP and get it with my big shop!

I hear the AT-ST has very poor leg articulation and can't even be posed in mid walk? Even the AT-DP polybag has better articulation than that if that's true...

teeny

The AT-ST is awesome. Just finished it during (a long) lunch break. The rotating head feature is incredible, because it's snappyness makes it feel like it's stop motion like in the movies.

Your impressions make me happy, I'm so glad I opted for it over the TIE Striker in the end. Jealous mine has not yet arrived, though :p

I hear the AT-ST has very poor leg articulation and can't even be posed in mid walk? Even the AT-DP polybag has better articulation than that if that's true...

I think it's inherently hard to build a stable AT-ST out of Lego that has proper leg articulation. Most of the advanced models I've seen with articulation require some other support in the form of stands or whatever. That is a slight disappointment with the set, though.

Ryuuroden

There is a difference between "brands" like lepin and brands (notice the difference) like megabloks. Lepin outright steals intellectual property/r&d and brick design and markets it as its own. Like I encourage brands like cobi (makes ww2 brick replicas) to exist because they create their own molds and designs. Lepin would not exist anywhere else but China due to it blatantly stealing Lego product design. It is even worse that they sell all the current Lego sets bootlegged as well, some of them before Lego releases them. Lego is now suing them in Chinese court where it is probable they won't win in due to many bootleg companies having arms deep into the Chinese govt. Even if they don't win, by doing this they can then pursue seizures of lepin product being shipped out of China in western courts.

I am not going to tell you not to do it. I am just going to remind you that bootleg companies are often used as front companies for money laundering for gangs that trade in human trafficking, drug trafficking, and organ trafficking. There is absolutely no transparency when it comes to these companies and you have no idea what shortcuts they are taking or what dangerous chemicals might or might not be in their plastics. Remember all the recent scandels with poisoned baby formula and pet food, etc.

Osahi

It's true most of the legs are fixed, but that's understandable because the small footprint and the heavy head. Mid-walk positions would just send it tumbling like it has just encountered some Ewoks spanning a vine over the ground.

It's a great set, which captures the look brilliantly, has a cool play feature with the rotating head and a nice way of firing the spring loaded lasers. I'm very happy with it :) (I'm a sucker for walkers, and try to get every one they release)

I'll grab Krennicks Shuttle in the future for sure, and will await the inevidable price drop on the Tie Striker, which is overpriced at the moment. Wasn't fan of the Tie Striker design when I first saw it, but seeing it from all angles in Jangs video, I've warmed to it.

Koren

I don't like bootleg talk. I don't make the rules though.

Incidentally, Cafe Corner is the easiest of the first three to Bricklink since you can make many substitutions that don't show up.
The first three include Green Grocer, isn't it?

Because I find BL Cafe Corner far more tricky... Dark blue is a knightmare, and I've yet to think of a possible swap.

There is a difference between "brands" like lepin and brands (notice the difference) like megabloks. Lepin outright steals intellectual property/r&d and brick design and markets it as its own. Like I encourage brands like cobi (makes ww2 brick replicas) to exist because they create their own molds and designs. Lepin would not exist anywhere else but China due to it blatantly stealing Lego product design. It is even worse that they sell all the current Lego sets bootlegged as well, some of them before Lego releases them. Lego is now suing them in Chinese court where it is probable they won't win in due to many bootleg companies having arms deep into the Chinese govt. Even if they don't win, by doing this they can then pursue seizures of lepin product being shipped out of China in western courts.

Like others have said, I have no problem buying knock-off figs that TLG hasn't ever made available to the public. A bootleg Shazam with shoddy printing, or Iron Man with a Batman print job are fine in my books.

But releasing exact copies of figs or full sets is super gross & I really don't like the idea of supporting it. I don't care if people talk about it in the thread but man do I hate such uninspired copyright infringement.

ninge

I fully understand everyone's positions on the Lepin sets. It's definitely a very murky world that I find myself in! I will not post a full review in this thread. Suffice to say that I agree with a whole lot of what has been said above, and to be crystal clear, I would never buy or condone buying any of the sets they sell that are copies of in-production products.

I still haven't decided if buying the set was the right thing to do, for me as a lego collector, or in a more moral sense.

The mini review in my first post tells you all you need to know about the quality if you anyone is considering one of their sets. It will never be a proper replacement for what you really want ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom