• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CTfPK3R.jpg

I love how they are using Technic pieces for the bike.

Oh man...my daughter loves Lego friends. I'm so getting them all.

It's actually for me too

Welcome! And kiss your money goodbye.

Also, definitely look into Friends sets. It is doing what City isn't. They make great compliments.

Thanks! I know, my wallet is already crying. Now I cannot stay away from that Friends sets....

Welcome!

It is really costly to import too, right? I know someone from Brazil that imports Japanese figures and he said there is a big import tax and customs is super nosy and will hold stuff hostage often when they think something is worth more than listed charge.

Edit: on Brazil note, I have an extra Rio Olympics set that I may be willing to trade to a gaf member. It cost me 50 dollars. Not much I can think of off hand that I would trade it for. One thing would be the ant man set

Import fees here range from 60% (normal post) to 100% (if it uses a courrier service like DHL/UPS). Applied to the total cost of the shipment, including the shipping charges). Sonetimes a package goes under the custom radar (I have luck eith some ebay sellers for Skylanders/Dimensions stuff).

Oooooo, is the Rio set that expensive in US? I think is costed $40 here before the games, but right now it is $18 in most places. There are plenty of stock, and price can only go lower.

Koren

Sand green is actually (kind of) available quite readily on LEGO's store. IIRC there are no 1x8, 1x6 or 1x2 bricks, but you can get 1x4 and 1x1 which is probably good enough to make a decent enough correctly-coloured version.
The problem is 1x2 with groove. Also, sand green is (was?) more expensive (I also had a spare pet shop with plently of sand blue including 1x2 with groove).

In any case, I really like it in blue. It's the shape that make it great, I think.

Good day fellow kids. I discovered Clone Wars. I am hooked. Catching up to Lego sets is a absolute money pit. But I'm more interested in collecting all troops and lightsaber dude guys. Any advice on picking up old figs? So far I'm trying eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, offer up.

For the Jedis, the expensive ones are Aayla Secura, Agen Kolar and new Ahsoka (~US$40 each). Aayla Secura is from set 8098 (Clone Turbo Tank) and Agen Kolar is from set 9526 (Palpatine's Arrest). If you can get your hands on set 9526 for a reasonable price, you get 6 minifigs from that set alone. Ahsoka is from the new set 75158.

The rest of the Jedis are <US$20 each.

On the Sith side, the expensive ones are Darth Malgus, Darth Revan and Shirtless Maul. Revan's price has dipped a bit after the recent giveaway on Sep 30.

Bricklink has really average good prices. But for really good deals, you need to check eBay often. Sometimes, some expensive fig might just be part of a lot.

Happy hunting!

Osahi

Those Batman sets might lure me into starting an extra theme. And I am out of place to display too.

They look awesome, and I am only casually interested in superheroes

Ponn

Banned
I like the figs shown so far. I'm just not feeling the sets themselves though so far. I'm a bit disappointed in that Batcave, for some reason I thought it was going to be almost UCS size from the rumors. I still like the Batcave from several years ago (not the last one with Bane but I believe the one before that), they seem to have gone down hill since. Akrham Asylum is alright but I vastly prefer the darker in tone previous one. I still love that fence with the death angel statues build and the modular type building. Again the figs look great, but the set itself, meh. I might be in the minority here or maybe i'm just not catching on to the early hype but yea overall except for the figs im feeling a little let down here compared to past sets. Joker pimpmobile is still the best looking one so far.

Rootbeer

Banned
AA looks decent but leagues worse than the old one somehow. The figures look batshit insane in a good way (pun semi-intended)

I have the previous AA which is why I'm not terribly excited to get this new one right away. Oh, I'll get it... you better believe. It's really nice. But I think the Batcave really shines above it. It looks wonderful.

All said and done I'll have two batcaves and two Arkhams (2017 movie versions and the versions directly previous)... after I build them to get the full experience, I think it's time I start working on my own MOC batcave with all these Batparts. The desire has really been growing inside me.

I have the previous AA which is why I'm not terribly excited to get this new one right away. Oh, I'll get it... you better believe. It's really nice. But I think the Batcave really shines above it. It looks wonderful.

All said and done I'll have two batcaves and two Arkhams (2017 movie versions and the versions directly previous)... after I build them to get the full experience, I think it's time I start working on my own MOC batcave with all these Batparts. The desire has really been growing inside me.

Interested in why you think that way? I mean, the Batcave may have some neat features, what with the rotating suit stand and what not, but it remains a playset, while the new AA would look miles better on display. Perhaps that is just me though, since i am more of a display guy but the way it looks right now, i'd get AA over Batcave for sure!

Though i gotta admit, the figs alone and that speedboat and suit stand kinda make a case for the Batcave.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, it's a smaller and on the surface less impressive set than the new Asylum, so it's hard to do a 1:1 compare.

But I just love how the station looks, and the boat, and the penguin's mobile with his little penguin soldiers (not the first time lego has channeled batman returns but it works really well, this is their best homage to-date)

ninge

That feeling when you order 950 dark grey tiles and 100 medium grey tiles... Except you added them based on the pictures and didn't check the description and you've actually ordered 950 medium grey and 100 white....

Balls.

Anyone need a 950 medium grey tiles? :(

Edit: I've actually made this mistake across all of the tiles i ordered, 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, and 1x2 with 1 knob. So ive got a load of white tiles when i should have had light grey and light grey when i should have had dark grey. Do you think customer support will take pity on me?

Well, it's a smaller and on the surface less impressive set than the new Asylum, so it's hard to do a 1:1 compare.

But I just love how the station looks, and the boat, and the penguin's mobile with his little penguin soldiers (not the first time lego has channeled batman returns but it works really well, this is their best homage to-date)

the boat, the penguin's mobile... i'll give you the station but it sounds to me like you're looking forward to the sidebuilds more than the actual thing itself there :p

Eh who am i kidding, come the first major discount and i will probably be all over this thing anyways, just the figs alone will be incentive enough ;)

Anyone know what is new on the wall this month. Quarter 4 just started so there should be new pick a models and favorite pieces. I am wondering if perhaps other sand green showed up or something similarly interesting.

Just stopped by LEGO store today. PAB refresh is delayed until Nov 1 due to not having the bricks ready. Another indicator of LEGO production not keeping up with demand. A good problem to have, too much business.

Are those red pipe pieces new?

Also, I'm loving "Boxing Glove Batman".

Pipes are new (technically a redesign). New Elementary discusses the part here
http://www.newelementary.com/2016/09/review-interview-lego-ideas-21307-caterham-seven-620r.html?m=1

That will be a very useful piece.

The Mr Freeze set mech... those new hands look awesome for mech/Mixel building.

Mixel Mech? Mixstraction?

3N16MA

Banned
Batman minifigs look crazy good. The whole line should be amazing. The sets look good but not blown away. I need to see the other side of Arkham.

That feeling when you order 950 dark grey tiles and 100 medium grey tiles... Except you added them based on the pictures and didn't check the description and you've actually ordered 950 medium grey and 100 white....

Balls.

Anyone need a 950 medium grey tiles? :(

Edit: I've actually made this mistake across all of the tiles i ordered, 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, and 1x2 with 1 knob. So ive got a load of white tiles when i should have had light grey and light grey when i should have had dark grey. Do you think customer support will take pity on me?
What size tiles? I might be interested.

ninge

What size tiles? I might be interested.

Oh awesome! They are 2x2. I've already emailed customer support tho so will see what they say...

My wife is now musing about how lighter coloured pavements would contrast with the roads better tho, so my error may just turn into us buying more :p will let you know!

wetwired

The LEGO Batman Movie:

Yd2pqWd.jpg

gwHmIWk.jpg

PwZWmeK.jpg

I'll definitely get the Batcave as I want those batman variants.

Mr Freeze set is a bit meh, but I'll probably get just because it looks cheap

Arkham, eh, the brown isn't doing it for me, it needs some colour, vines or something to break it up like the old one. I'm not keen on all the jumpsuit variants of the villains either. At the moment it's a hard pass but I may be swayed after seeing it in the context of the film.

FAKE EDIT > I Just noticed the watermellow pieces with Arkham, are they new??

To put them all in context here's the 2 previously announced sets

1469108228258.png

1469108299144.png

The batmobile set is probably a pass for me (depending on context in the film)

Definitely want that joker mobile though with harley

Sparse

Arkham, Freeze, and Joker-mobile sets it is... Ta-ta wallet, it was nice knowing you.

Given the new styles of all the villain faces, I hope that means we get a nice range of them in the CMF set (I gotsta have a Riddler fig).
Is that a Billy Dee Williams Two-face?

That's what I thought, too...

Cruzito

Neo Member
I asked the store manager of my Lego Store if it would be possible to return the previous Death Star and exchange/pay difference towards the new Death Star. They told me as long as it was still sealed, they could do it for me. I haul it to the store, and then they tell me that I would receive $319.99 as the return value. I paid $399.99 when I originally purchased it. Told them to forget it and hauled my original back home. It's sad that the previous version is valued at such a lower price!

wetwired

Arkham, Freeze, and Joker-mobile sets it is... Ta-ta wallet, it was nice knowing you.

Given the new styles of all the villain faces, I hope that means we get a nice range of them in the CMF set (I gotsta have a Riddler fig).

That's what I thought, too...

well apparently there's 10 sets coming out for it so they wouldn't make the new moulds for the hair/hats just for the arkham set, between those 10 and the CMF line we should get "normal" versions of each of the villians

TheFuzz

Finished Krennic's Shuttle tonight. Technic "frames" aren't my thing, but what a fun build. I LOVE the end result and just how imposing it looks. Highly recommended.

Also, I love the Batman sets. Arkham is a win, but nowhere near the last Arkham. I'm glad they went with a different style and not so gothic.

All minifgures are a win, and the Batcave, Arkham, and Jokers car are all Day-Ones for me.

Just realized why the Boxing Batsuit looked familiar. I hope they have a cowls in all sorts of colors. I dig the pearl gold cowl of the Vegas lounge batsuit.

koOMQAS.gif
Amazing. That is digging in. I love it. This theme has so much potential for fun.
Edit: Batcave in Nov? So my year ain't done yet? Ugh.

wetwired

Dat church! Amazing work as always.
I especially love the packing up. :)

I am guessing you only do exteriors and no interiors? Interiors and molding them with exteriors slows down my building Mocs. I sometimes consider doing just exteriors to throw stuff out really fast. Doing both simultaneously is what is slowing my theater MOC to a crawl right now.

For display, yeah only exterior. No one is going to see interiors so I don't bother. There's some stuff in the windows of the music shop and comic book shop but otherwise they're all empty.

I did have an idea for one display that I might do one year where it's the exact opposite, basically all interiors, a cutout view of a skyscraper with rooms, different movie scenes taking place in each. Ghostbusters in the ballroom, TMNT in a sewer below, matrix lobby, you name it

For display, yeah only exterior. No one is going to see interiors so I don't bother. There's some stuff in the windows of the music shop and comic book shop but otherwise they're all empty.

I did have an idea for one display that I might do one year where it's the exact opposite, basically all interiors, a cutout view of a skyscraper with rooms, different movie scenes taking place in each. Ghostbusters in the ballroom, TMNT in a sewer below, matrix lobby, you name it
Pics or it didn't happen!

And yeah, might move to exterior only for some new stuff. Thinking of doing Evil Dead cabin or an asylum for my Halloween display. But need to finish the theater first. It has been in progress too long to just abandon it. I am being stubborn on it, even if part of me is saying to abandon it now and move back to Halloween.

Is there shame in abandoning a piece several thousand pieces in? I am just feeling kind of stuck and went too large and can't make it as exciting as I want to on the exterior. I am extremely happy with tons of the interior features, but just feel it isn't tying together as well as I want.

wetwired

Pics or it didn't happen!

And yeah, might move to exterior only for some new stuff. Thinking of doing Evil Dead cabin or an asylum for my Halloween display. But need to finish the theater first. It has been in progress too long to just abandon it. I am being stubborn on it, even if part of me is saying to abandon it now and move back to Halloween.

Is there shame in abandoning a piece several thousand pieces in? I am just feeling kind of stuck and went too large and can't make it as exciting as I want to on the exterior. I am extremely happy with tons of the interior features, but just feel it isn't tying together as well as I want.

I know that feeling, I'm not a car person but I tend to make them a lot compared to buildings just because they're small and easy to change/modify if you want to change direction or fix something. A building on the other hand? often times I just settle as it's too much of a pain in the arse to pull it down to fix something.

I'm turning more and more to LDD to do my designs first as it's less of an issue to modify if I need to late in the design

Well, questions:
1) My plan Is to work on official sets (I try to get Parisian Restaurant for Xmas) , then start following/assembling other people creations to finally work in MOC. Is it a good idea to buy custom instructions like in brickbuilderpro? Some houses seems very nice there.
2) Which is the consensus in using different lines bricks for citybuilding? Friends sets seems to have to nice accessories and special pieces. Not the minidolls, but the accessories for interior decoration, like the supermarket and coffee shop sets. There are also some junior sets with interesting accessories.

And so&#8230; Now I am part of the Lego family. For better or worse. Will try to post and participate in this thread, if you do not mind (most GAF specialized threads are too impenetrable for newbies, like the Comics thread, but you seem very nice, guys.)

edited due to image size.

Welcome.

1) Hold off on buying custom instructions until you have a large enough collection from sets you like so you don't have to buy too many parts via Bricklink.
Check out Bricklink and see if you have any stores that are in your country or neighboring ones. It is one of the cheapest ways to get minifigs without having the buy a set you don't want especially with the high prices in your country.

2) Mixing LEGO with other brand bricks is up to you. Just make sure you find a brand that has decent quality bricks. Poor quality bricks will suck the joy out of building. You'll see most adult LEGO builders and those on LEGO blogs are mostly purists and only build with LEGO blocks.

I personally buy "clone" brands on occasion mainly out of curiosity or it has an IP that LEGO doesn't have. I keep the bricks separated though. :)

Again check Bricklink out as that is a good way to get specific parts like accessories. Accessories that don't come in many sets or are in high demand do carry higher prices, but way cheaper than buying a whole set just for a few parts.

EDIT: Oops, misread what you meant. I have yet to see anyone care about mixing different lines, Technic, Friends, System, or Constraction as long as they are LEGO.

Pics dump of Springfield...

Full Album here

Nice work considering you built some at the last minute.

Seems like a waste to disassemble right away. Any chance just keeping them around for display until bricks are needed for a new build? Also, are your kids old enough to sort? Think cheap child labor. If anyone asks what they are doing, they are "playing" with LEGO.

I will probably get the Superhero Girls sets. They look fun, and the comic that came out won me over just with its title: Finals Crisis.
I love me a bad pun.

You loved my "Mall of Justice" joke then right?
I'm mixed on the Superhero Girls sets. I may see if the minidolls aren't too high priced on Bricklink and just get them that way. I usually don't like paying premiums, but I'm at the point where I don't want more parts that I don't need. I have hundreds of tires.

wetwired

Nice work considering you built some at the last minute.

Seems like a waste to disassemble right away. Any chance just keeping them around for display until bricks are needed for a new build? Also, are your kids old enough to sort? Think cheap child labor. If anyone asks what they are doing, they are "playing" with LEGO.

there is zero chance as I've already begun pulling it all a part, I've had simpsons on display for 2 lego expos now so it's run it's course. I literally don't have the space to store it all now and it's eating up too much of my collection that I can't make anything else.

Funny you should mention child labour. I had that yellow LEGO truck from a few years back with the blue tiles with stickers on them to make them look like LEGO set boxes. My kids "borrowed" the set and I never got it back. I needed them for in the window of Blocko so I told them if they could find all 8 of them in their collection I would give them a CMF :)

Now I'm considering expanding to sorting parts for me, put all the plates in one bucket for me etc to help speed up the process.

I know that feeling, I'm not a car person but I tend to make them a lot compared to buildings just because they're small and easy to change/modify if you want to change direction or fix something. A building on the other hand? often times I just settle as it's too much of a pain in the arse to pull it down to fix something.

I'm turning more and more to LDD to do my designs first as it's less of an issue to modify if I need to late in the design
I am not great at vehicles so far. I worked on a mini fig scale Impala from Supernatural and got like 50% done before abandoning.

As for my theater, it has been months with slow, slow progress with some bursts of great movement. I just feel the urge slipping away and lots of ideas for other things flooding in. Might be best to push it aside, build other things, then revisit. I have the first floor done and am working on the second one.
Like I said, I am extremely happy with the interior, but struggling with exterior overall, even if some touches I like.

Might be best to move on and revisit. I can't bring myself to tear it down yet. There is still potential. Might be good to get some of these horror themed ideas out of my head asap, as I love building those and it is the perfect time. I also have two weeks off from work coming up, which is a great time to build.

wetwired

Well, questions:
1) My plan Is to work on official sets (I try to get Parisian Restaurant for Xmas) , then start following/assembling other people creations to finally work in MOC. Is it a good idea to buy custom instructions like in brickbuilderpro? Some houses seems very nice there.
2) Which is the consensus in using different lines bricks for citybuilding? Friends sets seems to have to nice accessories and special pieces. Not the minidolls, but the accessories for interior decoration, like the supermarket and coffee shop sets. There are also some junior sets with interesting accessories.

1) If your end goal is to make your own MOCs I personally wouldn't buy other custom instructions from other people. I played with LEGO as a kid but my gateway back into it was the indiana jones sets a few years ago. I bought them and with what little I had I started MOCing with only those parts. Using a limited palette to build forces you to build to a budget and be creative with the parts you've got.

Secondly if you merely want to study other people's techniques, Eurobricks has a thread with hundreds of LDD files of official sets and if you look around you'll find LDD files of original creations. Load them up in Lego Digital Designer and you can get some ideas, even start prototyping in there if you wish.

2) There's no rules for mixing, it's entirely up to you. I myself want to pick up that hot dog friends car and modify it a bit to be more minifig scale.

1) If your end goal is to make your own MOCs I personally wouldn't buy other custom instructions from other people. I played with LEGO as a kid but my gateway back into it was the indiana jones sets a few years ago. I bought them and with what little I had I started MOCing with only those parts. Using a limited palette to build forces you to build to a budget and be creative with the parts you've got.

Secondly if you merely want to study other people's techniques, Eurobricks has a thread with hundreds of LDD files of official sets and if you look around you'll find LDD files of original creations. Load them up in Lego Digital Designer and you can get some ideas, even start prototyping in there if you wish.

2) There's no rules for mixing, it's entirely up to you. I myself want to pick up that hot dog friends car and modify it a bit to be more minifig scale.
Agreed 100% on limited palette. Restrictions breed creativity. Necessity is the mother of invention. I love trying to pull stuff off in the simplest and most piece effective way imaginable. Heck, lots of my MOC time revolves around pulling off something I want in as tiny a spot with as few pieces as possible. I spent hours just trying to make a mop bucket at a certain scale.

I have yet to use Bricklink, and probably won't ever. I will buy certain sets just for parts, but also to learn new ideas and techniques to steal later. But I like the challenge of using what I have.
Although I will go hog wild on the PAB wall if I can.

And yes, you need the Hot Dog Cart. A fun little set with some great pieces in it.

Also, mix away! Who cares what theme the brick was from. Is it LEGO? Does it connect to other LEGO bricks? It's fair game. Use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom