• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - Lepin is now making sets out of AFOLs' modular building MOC's and CUUSOO/Ideas projects. Had some folks thinking it was a new official LEGO modular.
So they're just stealing people's designs and making money off it? What the hell. Is China like the wild west where you can basically steal any idea from anyone? How can they get away with this?

So they're just stealing people's designs and making money off it? What the hell. Is China like the wild west where you can basically steal any idea from anyone? How can they get away with this?

It is a cultural thing added to a superprotective state to greedy companies.

The chinese normal guy does not understand the concept of IP. The way they think is that if more companies make something, more people can have it. Of course it is changing but it is a very slow movement.

Woorloog

Banned
What's the likelihood of Lego re-doing AT-AP and Droid Gunship anytime soon? 2014 Star Wars Episode 3 sets, numbers 75043 and 75042.
I found them for a reasonable and not as reasonable prices, considering whether to get them.

TheFuzz

Very impressive work! This will be my first large, modular-scale project, I hope mine turns out half as good as that one, wow.

Thanks! I found one more I have, it's of Gordon's office. Crap quality, but you get the idea.

CuSxft8.jpg

BigHow

Neo Member
LOL - Lepin is now making sets out of AFOLs' modular building MOC's and CUUSOO/Ideas projects. Had some folks thinking it was a new official LEGO modular.

That's terrible! Unfortunately, that's what you're supporting whenever you buy a OOP Lego set from Lepin. Sure, you've got the Green Grocer for cheaper than eBay, but now you're effectively paying for the R&D/production costs of other knock-off sets. I hope their callousness in stealing from the AFOL community comes back to bite them in the ass.

Maybe I'm a little more anti-bootlegs than average (thanks to being a marginally OCD collector and IP attorney), but seeing bootleggers get away with actions like this really chaps my hide.

ghostmind

What's the likelihood of Lego re-doing AT-AP and Droid Gunship anytime soon? 2014 Star Wars Episode 3 sets, numbers 75043 and 75042.
I found them for a reasonable and not as reasonable prices, considering whether to get them.

Not very likely I think. Unless these show up in Rebels somehow, LEGO has a lot of prequel sets to remake before they make it back around to these two again.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have far too many Star Wars sets, and told myself I was done buying them... but then I saw Krennic's Imperial Shuttle. I love this type of starship and decided to dedicate my record shelf to these three, plus most of my SW mini-figs.

But seriously, I'm done now. At least until they release more sets.

I have far too many Star Wars sets, and told myself I was done buying them... but then I saw Krennic's Imperial Shuttle. I love this type of starship and decided to dedicate my record shelf to these three, plus most of my SW mini-figs.

But seriously, I'm done now. At least until they release more sets.

Now hunt down or Bricklink the UCS Imperial Shuttle to tower over them all.

Yeah, I've had thoughts... :\

It was my first ever UCS set. I think it was the third set I bought after I came out of the dark ages. (I can't remember if I got Fire Brigade or UCS Imperial Shuttle first). It left an impression on me, and damn if it is still not one of the best looking display sets ever. Most people can't tell it is LEGO until they get up close.

d88e989260b94c6c986dd0730c10d2c5.jpg

http://www.dk.com/us/9781465453020-365-things-to-do-with-lego-bricks/

VERY highly recommend this book. I only looked through it for about ten minutes today, but it didn't take long to tell that this is something special.

b08b59c3962b482ebdf2abbe3778a394.jpg

e64bcf5d10e84e67a12158d84b8614a1.jpg

There are things in there for making sliding tile puzzles, retractable claw arms, and so many other things. There are just so many neat and fascinating ideas in it. The front of the book is also a timer to see how fast you can complete the project based on what they show. There are little bits showing how to use SNOT to get certain looks.

If you get a chance to buy it or look through it, do so. Probably the most exciting "ideas" based book they have done in some time.

Ryuuroden

I wonder how many opinions are going to change regarding clone brands, now that they are ripping off AFOLs, rather than just a large corporation (which somehow was alright when it was just LEGO being ripped off).

I always had a terrible opinion of clone brands. I hope more people realize what a shitty thing it is to buy from them. Just because this time its large corporations doesn't mean its always large corporations. Small businesses or side business can be affected as well. What if Lepin starts copying stuff that is in Ideas and reaches enough votes but before Lego makes a decision on it. Lego sees Lepin do it and decides that making that idea is no longer worth the trouble. There are a lot of issues here. I try not to be vocal about it but I absolutely despise it when I see people talk about clone brands and buying them in this thread. I don't want to be exclusionary of people who are otherwise people I like and I am glad are here but I can't help but lose respect for them for it. I apologize for that but as a business owner myself, I can relate much more to IP theft and the like and perhaps that makes me angrier about it.

Innovation cannot happen when you are under constant threat of all your work being stolen. This is a big reason China is still not an innovator of things or modern inventor of things. Their businesses and state products are built off the innovation of others. The "great" phone company Huawei is built on stolen technology. Hell, that is something even their govt has acknowledged is an issue to the future of Chinese home grown industry, they are just mostly incapable of changing the culture.

Rolsen

Neo Member
Hi LegoGAF! I've been lurking here since OT3 and finally decided to drop in and say hi! I've been back in the hobby since 2012, and this thread is one of my daily lego check-ins. Lots of hot news scoops drop around here!

And don't worry about cautioning me about my wallet, I'm already in deep. :D

For builds, its mainly spaceships for me!

Cheers guys!

Hi LegoGAF! I've been lurking here since OT3 and finally decided to drop in and say hi! I've been back in the hobby since 2012, and this thread is one of my daily lego check-ins. Lots of hot news scoops drop around here!

Cheers guys!
Awesome work. Especially the Babylon 5 Omega Class ship in the first pic.

Also, welcome!

And another person with a blue spaceman as an avatar? Egads. I always have to be careful and look at the usernames to make sure who is posting, lol. It adds some more fun to the thread.

Rolsen

Neo Member
Awesome work. Especially the Babylon 5 Omega Class ship in the first pic.

Also, welcome!

And another person with a blue spaceman as an avatar? Egads. I always have to be careful and look at the usernames to make sure who is posting, lol. It adds some more fun to the thread.

Thanks Phon!
I didn't even think about the avatar issue, but I totally see your point. It's the one I've been using on flickr.

ghostmind

Cheers guys!

akS4pqy.gif

Spaceship MOCs? Good Gooooooood...

rRPsNJo.gif

Welcome!

Rootbeer

Banned
So with many of the LEGO Batman Movie sets coming out in late Nov, is the CMF series from the movie also confirmed to come out in Nov?

BTW, that new Eurobricks forum upgrade is nice. It has Instagram embedding and other neat stuff now. I wish GAF would add things like that.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So with many of the LEGO Batman Movie sets coming out in late Nov, is the CMF series from the movie also confirmed to come out in Nov?

I hope so. For me, the last couple of CMFs have been okay with one or two standout figs, but I'm really looking forward to putting a little display together with all the Batman ones, especially if there's some fun varieties in there.

ninge

Lego customer service continue to be awesome! :D

They are going to replace all of the parts I stupidly ordered the wrong colour of (white instead of light grey, light grey instead of medium grey) in my pick a brick order free of charge!

Sadly they can't replace the 950 2x2 tiles, so i will have to re-order those, but that's still about 500 parts they are replacing!

Lego rocks!

Lego customer service continue to be awesome! :D

They are going to replace all of the parts I stupidly ordered the wrong colour of (white instead of light grey, light grey instead of medium grey) in my pick a brick order free of charge!

Sadly they can't replace the 950 2x2 tiles, so i will have to re-order those, but that's still about 500 parts they are replacing!

Lego rocks!
Nice!

Do you get VIP points for ordering pick-a-brick pieces from their site?

I've been wanting to buy the pieces to make mini versions of the last several Modular sets (Pet Shop and everything afterwards).

Glad to see the Old Fishing Store won. I like it.

Batman stuff looks great, but will hold off for 2xVIP or sales. Too much in the backlog too fast right now.

mclem

Do you get VIP points for ordering pick-a-brick pieces from their site?

You're *meant* to, but that doesn't appear to be working since the site update. I don't know if they've cancelled the deal or the system isn't working, though.

Edit: I do see a post on Reddit mentioning that they got the points added when they contacted Customer Support, which does suggest the bug theory.

You're *meant* to, but that doesn't appear to be working since the site update. I don't know if they've cancelled the deal or the system isn't working, though.

Edit: I do see a post on Reddit mentioning that they got the points added when they contacted Customer Support, which does suggest the bug theory.

Yeah, I had points added when I contacted them too.

Thanks Phon!
I didn't even think about the avatar issue, but I totally see your point. It's the one I've been using on flickr.

Hey now. I'm the only one that rips off Ryuuroden's avatar 'round these parts (welcome to the thread).

Thanks again Ghostmind for the reminder (Ghostminder?) on that Venom Symbiote polybag. I picked it up this morning. Unfortunately the set I bought to qualify is terrible but was on sale
75086 Battle Droids are terrible

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just saw the Lego Movie.

Back then when it came out I Couldnt believe that they really would turn Lego into a movie, another proof that Hollywood was finally out of ideas. Looked like a ton of thrown together brands that are just there to lure more and more people in the cinema.

Then at some point I noticed the amazing animations that looked like stop motion, which were my reason my interest grew again.

Now Ive seen it and this may the most creativ and smart animation film Ive seen in a long time. Love what big irony is behind my initial feeling towards this movie.9 Holy shit. Cant wait for the other ones. And I need more new Lego sets!

Built the U-Wing yesterday. I agree with Jang that the ship is just missing something and that it is too clean with all of the white. It looks good on display, but I'd say its skippable unless you really want the mini figs. Also completed the AT-ST, man is it great. That and Krennic's shuttle are two of the best SW sets released in awhile.

3N16MA

Banned

Cheers guys!

Those look great. Welcome.

Just got my Darth Revan minifig!

Now I'm seriously considering buying the Sith Fury Class Interceptor on eBay...
Surprisingly not too expensive for being an OOP set.

I really want an Ebon Hawk LEGO set. :(

Just saw the Lego Movie.

Back then when it came out I Couldnt believe that they really would turn Lego into a movie, another proof that Hollywood was finally out of ideas. Looked like a ton of thrown together brands that are just there to lure more and more people in the cinema.

Then at some point I noticed the amazing animations that looked like stop motion, which were my reason my interest grew again.

Now Ive seen it and this may the most creativ and smart animation film Ive seen in a long time. Love what big irony is behind my initial feeling towards this movie.9 Holy shit. Cant wait for the other ones. And I need more new Lego sets!

If you look around, you should still be able to find Benny's Spaceship! Spaceship! Spaceship! at almost the retail price, and it's totally worth it. One of the most awesome sets in recent years.

Is the new winter village toy shop much better than the original? I'm wondering whether to pick it up and selling my original one to make some spare cash.

Funny you should ask, I finished mine just fifteen minutes ago, although I don't own the original.

From what I've heard, there's no big difference except for some updated parts and better prints. The tree has an awesome build and is very solid, the the entire upper floor blew me away - from how they integrate the specialized gazebo part into the tower to how the roof parts connect to the rest of the structure without a single gap.

It's rather small, but it will work perfectly as the centerpiece of a little Christmas diorama on my city square. I don't have room for the entire winter village, but I've wanted that tree for years and the building makes for a nice backdrop.

Boogiepop

And I've built the Parisian Restaurant now, adding it alongside my Pet Shop and Palace Cinema. Still, think I'll have to wait a while before I pick up the other two currently available modulars (and by that point the one for next year will probably be out).

And I've built the Parisian Restaurant now, adding it alongside my Pet Shop and Palace Cinema. Still, think I'll have to wait a while before I pick up the other two currently available modulars (and by that point the one for next year will probably be out).
Nah. Just go whole hog and get all of the available ones now. No kill like overkill.

Funny you should ask, I finished mine just fifteen minutes ago, although I don't own the original.

From what I've heard, there's no big difference except for some updated parts and better prints. The tree has an awesome build and is very solid, the the entire upper floor blew me away - from how they integrate the specialized gazebo part into the tower to how the roof parts connect to the rest of the structure without a single gap.

It's rather small, but it will work perfectly as the centerpiece of a little Christmas diorama on my city square. I don't have room for the entire winter village, but I've wanted that tree for years and the building makes for a nice backdrop.

I would honestly prefer the better version so I'll try and sell the old one and get the new one in double vip month.

Does anyone have any idea what the spend teashops will be for the Christmas ornament? I don't know whether to get the winter train now or or in November/December

Osahi

Built the U-Wing yesterday. I agree with Jang that the ship is just missing something and that it is too clean with all of the white. It looks good on display, but I'd say its skippable unless you really want the mini figs. Also completed the AT-ST, man is it great. That and Krennic's shuttle are two of the best SW sets released in awhile.

I agree it could use some greebling to give it a more battered look, but I actually really like this model. Maybe it's because I think the U-Wing is the coolest new Rogue One ship in design, as it fits right into the universe but is still something different.

Also, it's incredibly swooshable with the wings folded out, and the minifig collection is very good (especially Jyn Erso, with the cloth piece and the bazooka. Her face is to generic though, just like Reys was in the TFA line)

The AT-ST is ace, indeed. Krennick's is the next on my to buy list

I think I might snag the Hovertank today, set looks a bit boring but I like the minifigs and it would be a quick afternoon build. That leaves the TIE left for me to get from the first Rogue One wave.

TheFuzz

I'll pimp Krennic's Shuttle again. One of the most intimidating looking models out there right now. So glorious when finished. The wing mechanisms are really nice builds too.

Rootbeer

Banned
picked up a 5004406 First Order General at TRU. Very "eh" figure but I still needed it for completion, I guess.

I just could not bring myself to spend $50 to get the musician set... maybe I'll change my mind though.

Just got my Darth Revan minifig!

Now I'm seriously considering buying the Sith Fury Class Interceptor on eBay...
Surprisingly not too expensive for being an OOP set.

I really want an Ebon Hawk LEGO set. :(

I'd love an Ebon Hawk too! Perhaps you can MOC it. Are you looking for Darth Malgus or the ship itself? i snagged a Darth Malgus for US$25...and just got a Supercar (8070) for US$70...both pre-owned and off eBay.

I'm a huge of the Lego Technic range. Loved the Xerion, but I didn't like the bucket wheel excavator.

Osahi

Cheers guys!

Ever thought about launching these on ideas? They are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom